Cyberpunk destroying PC?

+
Hey all!

A friend of mine was really hyped to play CP (Cyberpunk). We both bought it the moment you could pre-order on Steam. I have upgraded my pc to a RTX 3080 and i9-9900k and it works fine for me. Zero crashes, high fps. I'm lucky it seems.

My friend uses a GTX 1080 and i7-8700k. A bit old but DEFINITELY not bad. Now, since day 1 CP went live there were issues. He would flatline, his game would freeze forcing a hard restart of the pc. When the first patch went live he was able to play 10 hours straight with a ZERO crash or any problem whatsoever. He went to bed, woke up, went back into CP annnnnnd crash. and the crashes started again. Only this time, he would get graphical glitches, like the colors would be all washed over his screen, the screen would freeze but he got green little dots. This only happened in CP btw and no other games. He decided to lay CP to rest and not touch it again for a week or two.

He tried it again today to see if anything changed after all the patches, but the game froze, and the screen got washed with green and blue colors. He moved his mouse and eventually it started moving again but slowly and he didn't want to wait 10 hours so he restarted his pc. Now this time, however, both his monitors wouldnt turn on and he can't get them working anymore. The only thing left to do is checking it with a HDMI cable which he will be able to do in a few hours.

Now his pc was fine BEFORE cp, but after starting cp his pc get f*cked hard. I read on a reddit from someone with a RTX 3070 also that his monitor didn't work anymore after a restart.

Does anybody have any tips on what to do or experience with this? I find it hard to believe CP is destroying pc's but I mean, is it a coincedence his pc got messed up after playing CP or is there something more here?

Thanks in advance for any help!

(P.S I write this message for him because his only way to make a thread would be via phone and we thought it would be much faster if I would type it out for him on a keyboard.)

sounds like a overheating issue. Hows his cooling and is the pc cleaned out from dust and so on? This game is murder on both cpu and gpu.

His gpu was 61 celcius MAX. He did clean it. Every 2 weeks. His 1080 has never been overclocked. He had a 60fps cap enabled because he couldn't get more anyway.

I had multiple people tell me that it was overheating but it can't be since it never got over 61 celcius.

Hmm. It does sound like overheat tho. The green dots happend to me when one of my old gfx cards died when i was playing around with overclock. Tested shutting it down compleatly ie turning off psu and wait for awhile then start up again? Doesnt even have to be the gpu but the memory on the gpu or a cap that burnt out.

Guest 4478408

these issues are NOT caused by the game. from what you wrote the gpu of your friend is dying. would try a clean driver install, but i would not put to much hope into it.

I just got told as well his sensors might not have given the propper readings and the temperture reading was false? Could this be true?

Someone else mentioned maybe it was his PSU (psu is Corsair x750) but that cannot be it, right? Problems with the PCU would give restarts and blue screen of deaths, not graphical glitches, right?

Yea if its not overheating im leaning towards dying Gpu too. Could be just the DP port that got fryed if lucky but display corruption is a clear sight of failing hardware...

If it would be RTX2000 or 3000 series I would say check thermal pads on GPU I know cases where pads have been not where they should!

yea I have a I7 8700K and a 2080 ti and have zero issues, my cpu rarely got above 65c and my gpu got around 82c depending on what was on the screen.

Top Bottom