Cyberpunk Ending [SPOILERS]

+

Would you rather go back to before the finale mission when you're done or play an epilogue?

• Keep it how it is and feel like what I just did is for nothing.

• Have an epilogue playing as Judy or Panam after V dies.

Results are only viewable after voting.
No interest in playing as someone else, nor their awful rewind thing in terms of post game play. Hopefully they deal with their atrocious endings in a post game DLC instead rather than leaving the current death sentence states.

I have to wonder what if the real canon ending is V and johnny got combined into a synthesis of two personalities, like JC Denton in Deus Ex.

I have to wonder what if the real canon ending is V and johnny got combined into a synthesis of two personalities, like JC Denton in Deus Ex.

I personally wouldn't be a fan, because for me, the main thing about cyberpunk is that we create our own character.

...and I would like and do believe that V's story is not over/can easily be continued:)

Quite surprised that many people are not happy with endings.
I mean Cyberpunkish stories should leave you with a bad taste in the mouth. That feeling that you cannot tell really whether you won or lost, that even if you achieved something nothing really changed-you blow a Corp, another one takes the #1 spot- ,that the price paid (blood,friends) was too high for the outcome or that you had to choose between the lesser of two evils. Take a look at Burning Chrome,Neuromancer (that in a couple of pages, tells what finally happened to Johny Mnemonic),Hardwired,When Gravity Fails...
Even the tabletop Cyberpunk game promotes that way of storytelling (literally from rule manual for game director suggestions "you should not be afraid to kill off player characters","if they can´t handle pressure,they shouldn´t be playing Cyberpunk","send them back to that nice role-playing game with happy elves and the singing birds"); my main complain to CDPR is not being assaulted randomly just for being quiet looking the scenario or not having my apartment robbed if I was making my gun collection.

I mean Cyberpunkish stories should leave you with a bad taste in the mouth. That feeling that you cannot tell really whether you won or lost, that even if you achieved something nothing really changed-you blow a Corp, another one takes the #1 spot- ,that the price paid (blood,friends) was too high for the outcome or that you had to choose between the lesser of two evils. Take a look at Burning Chrome,Neuromancer (that in a couple of pages, tells what finally happened to Johny Mnemonic),Hardwired,When Gravity Fails...
Even the tabletop Cyberpunk game promotes that way of storytelling (literally from rule manual for game director suggestions "you should not be afraid to kill off player characters","if they can´t handle pressure,they shouldn´t be playing Cyberpunk","send them back to that nice role-playing game with happy elves and the singing birds"); my main complain to CDPR is not being assaulted randomly just for being quiet looking the scenario or not having my apartment robbed if I was making my gun collection.

true, but you can also not die in cyberpunk as well. You can also succeed. Look at the TT campaigns, death and failure is not inevitable

CDPR, You have done a great and excellent job.
But in general, all the endings come down to two options. Either V stays in the body and lives out half a year of his life, or he stays in cyberspace. Everything else is tinsel. I would like to get a good ending to the story, where you are 100% sure that V will survive. After all, even in the end of "star", he (spoilers) coughs, and he gets a call on the answering machine, which hints that he died.

TT campaign is dark horse comics?, you can live and succeed but the world should still be "gray"(for my taste).Plus TT is as bad as Arasaka,check the shard of their "repo men" department (great film and reference in game).

Well, there are enough dark elements. More than this, this is a game, and is easier to feel more connected with the characters. If V dies despite all efforts then this is just a big middle finger to the player. V is not an epic character who should sacrifice her/himself for the great good/destroying the great evil. This is about someone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and struggles to survive. Killing V is completely pointless except for the people who enjoy this of course. I still believe that V's story is to be continued but a lot of players don't share this belief.

After all, even in the end of "star", he (spoilers) coughs, and he gets a call on the answering machine, which hints that he died.

Well... not necessarily. If you do that ending as a Female V and call Judy Alvarez on the rooftop, V's voice is actually in Judy's voicemail.

Besides, it wouldn't make much sense for Misty's tarot cards to indicate a happy life ahead if V was already dead.

Well... not necessarily. If you do that ending as a Female V and call Judy Alvarez on the rooftop, V's voice is actually in Judy's voicemail.

Besides, it wouldn't make much sense for Misty's tarot cards to indicate a happy life ahead if V was already dead.

Same if you took star ending, the voicemail indicates V just went out for a little bit and will be back shortly.

Ah sure, V´s can come back for a cure in NC he/she is not dead at all .
What I meant, is that the endings that we got are completely in-line with cyberpunk style. My impression actually, is that people didn´t want that much a happy ending but wanted an "epic" finale where V appears on TV, defeat the evil,get the boy/girl and lives in luxury... Happy ending for Cyberpunk (in my opinion) is kind of Viktor-V actually mentions,"you seem to be the only happy person in NC" or something like that-, or Case in the Sprawl trilogy (he makes a couple of big stuff after Neuromancer, gets married,gets kids presumably dies at an old age in bed... he doesn´t even appear in the 2nd and 3rd novel and he was the "big star" of Neuromancer, you just know that through Molly in the 3rd).
I would be quite happy if post-content is new story,with different characters but you find in-game the wherabouts of V. If its DLC, maybe they will stick with V just for resources/not creating completely new characters but I wouldn´t really like a Cyberpunk 3 with the same character (personal taste, I know).

TT campaign is dark horse comics?, you can live and succeed but the world should still be "gray"(for my taste).Plus TT is as bad as Arasaka,check the shard of their "repo men" department (great film and reference in game).
by TT I meant the table top game, the source material for this game. Cyberpunk.
Post automatically merged:

Ah sure, V´s can come back for a cure in NC he/she is not dead at all .
What I meant, is that the endings that we got are completely in-line with cyberpunk style. My impression actually, is that people didn´t want that much a happy ending but wanted an "epic" finale where V appears on TV, defeat the evil,get the boy/girl and lives in luxury... Happy ending for Cyberpunk (in my opinion) is kind of Viktor-V actually mentions,"you seem to be the only happy person in NC" or something like that-, or Case in the Sprawl trilogy (he makes a couple of big stuff after Neuromancer, gets married,gets kids presumably dies at an old age in bed... he doesn´t even appear in the 2nd and 3rd novel and he was the "big star" of Neuromancer, you just know that through Molly in the 3rd).
I would be quite happy if post-content is new story,with different characters but you find in-game the wherabouts of V. If its DLC, maybe they will stick with V just for resources/not creating completely new characters but I wouldn´t really like a Cyberpunk 3 with the same character (personal taste, I know).

I think they should drop V after they complete the current story arc, and tell a different story with different characters. ideally, id say the expansions and dlc should finish V's story, then some new stories pop off with new characters. Maybe they can incorporate some other playstyles rather than mostly solo mercenary

I would rather see an ending where V finds a cure or something then watch V dying a 2nd time so early in life because then that would pretty much suck for a lot of the things that V did after the heist and it would feel hopeless to do anything after a certain point in the game because what is the point of doing anything that will last if your not even going to last long yourself in game. I wouldn't even want to continue if V is no more because only V all the way but an epilogue where V gets to interact with the characters that didn't get that much time in game would be nice and have some more alternate endings would be nice from the result of that. Its only her mind that got effected not the body at least so can't they find a way to reverse the effect of the chip because V is also an engram if you do "the star" and "the sun" endings or just find a tech that can use his/her engram to get rid of Johnny's ownership of the body after all the city was suppose to be evolving.
yeah I want them to make better endings too its just I don't think they would do that (they should) but idk

Why? cause alt says so? Much happier not believing her
either way the story still ends bad and I don't want to be brought back to before the final mission cuz that makes me feel like everything I did didn't even happen. I want it to leave you at the ending

Why? cause alt says so? Much happier not believing her
either way the story still ends bad and I don't want to be brought back to before the final mission cuz that makes me feel like everything I did didn't even happen. I want it to leave you at the ending

Well, I've only completed the game once but V didn't die. He left NC with his girlfriend and lived happily ever after.
I played that one too but we know that he's going to die in 6 months and either way, once the end credits are done you shouldn't be brought back to before the final mission, you should get to free roam wherever they left to.

My only issue with the endings is V's severely reduced lifespan that follows Alt disentangling them & Johnny. I understand the source material and its presentation of a disposable future: shades of existential nihilism and capitalism run amok - but it seems conflicting with what the game presents the player. The main quest pushes us along with the pretense of needing to remove the chip or V is going to die, so we overcome challenges, make impactful decisions and V is rewarded with 6 months life.
There are enough breadcrumbs for a player to headcanon a happy ending for V if they wish, but I kinda dislike ambiguous endings these days.

I dunno, sometimes I wonder if the interaction with Angel/Skye at Clouds was what we should've been paying attention to; V was given a second chance to come to terms with death instead.

Last edited:
Ah I thought "TT" was "Trauma team"!, yes sure you can survive but the world normally doesn't change that much at the end. Don't know adding other playstyles how it will work, how you add the "rockerboy" mechanic of driving a crowd crazy (can be a cultist leader also)?, for that you will need actually to roleplay. Maybe adding DLC campaigns (10-20 quests) in themes ?(you work for N54,you work for TT, you have a speed-reggae band that becomes a target of whoever you offended-and somebody will complain that they do no want to be reggae musicians, that they wanted to be Mayhem-).
As I said, I know I'm in minority and most people want happy/epic/all tied endings... personally I think that good storytelling shouldn´t chew up all to reader/viewer/player but once more is matter of taste; for me Cyberpunk worlds (not just CP2077, the genre in general) can be summarized as "life sucks and then you die", doesn´t mean that you cannot have happy moments or touch the glory.

If you have a chance, there is a short story called "New Rose Hotel"(they turned it into a soft-erotic movie, but William Dafoe and Asia Argento makes it not so bad to watch) it captures very well a great Cyberpunk ending for me (I think is in the Burning Chrome compilation, don´t know if it can be found alone).

Last edited:
I dunno, sometimes I wonder if the interaction with Angel/Skye at Clouds was the what we should've been paying attention to; V was given a second chance to come to terms with death instead.

I agree with this and generally believe that the game's worst endings stem from V's refusal to accept what the biochip is doing to them.

Top Bottom