Cyberpunk freezes and crashes my computer, requiring hard boot (played over 50 hours)

+
I have a new HP Omen and have played the game over 50 hours and this only started recently. Now it completely locks up my computer after about 10min of gameplay. The only think I can do is hold down the power button and force a restart. The screen goes black and there's a stuttering sound from the speakers. Latest patch from Steam.

At first if it's not already done, make sure to try all of these steps. And if nothing work, you can send a ticket to the support for help ("Contact Us" button). The sooner, the better (you can add a DxDiag in the report).
To be sure, you don't use mods ?

I don't use any mods. My computer is on Windows 11, very up to date. Here are the specs:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor 3.80 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition Windows 11 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎10/‎30/‎2021
OS build 22000.675
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.675.0

I don't use any overlays like Discord. I don't overclock. The only anti-virus / anti-malware I have is what is built into Windows itself. Should I disable that? I did verify game file integrity via Steam.

I don't use any overlays like Discord. I don't overclock. The only anti-virus / anti-malware I have is what is built into Windows itself. Should I disable that?
I doubt it could be related, but it could be a good idea to try in case. At first, maybe try to perform a clean reinstallation of your drivers.
And it's only with Cyberpunk ? You don't have issues with other "similar" games ?

Only Cyberpunk.

I'm not going to reinstall my drivers. That's a huge pain in the ass and seems highly unlikely to resolve the problem, given this is a new computer and the drivers are already "freshly" installed.

I can't find a "contact us" button to submit a ticket. Any help there?

Only Cyberpunk.

I'm not going to reinstall my drivers. That's a huge pain in the ass and seems highly unlikely to resolve the problem, given this is a new computer and the drivers are already "freshly" installed.

maybe find some info here or use the contact us button at the bottom of the page

1655102720234.png

What is your GPU ?
What do you mean by "freshly" installed ?
It could require to apply only "one" drivers update to possibly encounter issues...
And it's not a "huge pain in the ass" and I'm quite confident that would be the first thing that the support will ask :)
2. Clean install your graphics drivers following the instructions below:
NVIDIA
I. Download the latest Game Ready drivers using the following link: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
AMD
I. Uninstall your graphics drivers using the AMD Cleanup Utility software.
II. Download and clean install the latest drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support
But as you wish ;)

Do you get any crash logs when it happends? Should be located in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue (some hidden folders so enable se hidden folders) 2 text files should be there, usuraly gives a hint as too why it crashed.

Only Cyberpunk.

My only guess is that something got corrupted, and was apparently missed by the game files verification program.
How about deleting the Cyberpunk 2077 game folder entirely? You can find it here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common

After you have deleted it, go to Steam, and delete Cyberpunk 2077 on there. Then reinstall the game.
I would highly recommend to restart your system, router and modem, prior to reinstalling Cyberpunk 2077, but that's wholly optional.

Edit: Here is where the game stores the game save files.

C:\Users\username\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

Start the game and when it runs, make a quick-save. Then exit the game and go to:
C:\Users\username\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077
and delete all the previous game save files except the last quick-save.

See if the game now keeps playing. Should try this first before uninstalling the Cyberpunk 2077 game folder.

Last edited:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue is completely empty, weird. I do have hidden folders visible (else I wouldn't have been able to navigate into AppData).

I will try some of the other ideas. Thanks everyone who responded.

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\REDEngine\ReportQueue is completely empty, weird. I do have hidden folders visible (else I wouldn't have been able to navigate into AppData).

I will try some of the other ideas. Thanks everyone who responded.
If that is empty i dont think its the game that crashes but the PC. Hows your temps? Also what GFX card do you use? Have you disabled Xbox overlay? Its been known too cause problems in Cp2077:

Could your problem be caused by a mod you tried to install? 'Cause you played 50 hours and now black hole, it's really strange indeed try running a game file check for see ;)

Enough people have been reporting this problem out of the blue this week on previously stable installs that I do wonder a couple of things:

- was there a Windows update that might have caused problems

- was there a graphics driver update that might have caused problems

- in some countries in the last week it got really hot (as in, the weather) -- is it possible there's a cooling issue on your machine?

Enough people have been reporting this problem out of the blue this week on previously stable installs that I do wonder a couple of things:

- was there a Windows update that might have caused problems

- was there a graphics driver update that might have caused problems

- in some countries in the last week it got really hot (as in, the weather) -- is it possible there's a cooling issue on your machine?
Was thinking about this too. Theres been a new nvidia driver recently, not sure about win 11 but win 10 hasent hade a new update as far as i know. Heat is a issue, im seeing 3-4 c higher temps on my gpu even with watercooling since its summer.

As far as I know, my computer is fully up to date -- latest Windows 11 updates, latest drivers (so it's possible some update broke things). I haven't installed any mods on Cyberpunk. I also live in Seattle, and if anything it's been pretty cool here. I did think it might be overheating, but I have two monitors so I left open a heat display on my second monitor and it didn't give me any alerts. My computer does run damn hot, though, over 150 F just launching the game.

Some updates since my last post:
1. I contacted HP support and they had me reinstall my video drivers, but it didn't help. The game crashed after about five minutes of play after I did that. HP is now sending me a flash drive to do a factory reset. To quote: "This looks like the windows files are corrupted badly and we need to reset the windows." I am not convinced it's software and think it might possibly be hardware-related, but we'll see.
2. I have been able to play Mass Effect: Legendary Edition for hours at a time without any problem. Not the most demanding game for this computer, though.
3. Starcraft 2 recently crashed after about 20min of play, in a very similar way to what I described here. This also isn't a demanding game for this computer, and I have played it for much longer in the past without issue, so it's weird. Maybe something is corrupted in the OS, as HP suggests.

As far as I know, my computer is fully up to date -- latest Windows 11 updates, latest drivers (so it's possible some update broke things). I haven't installed any mods on Cyberpunk. I also live in Seattle, and if anything it's been pretty cool here. I did think it might be overheating, but I have two monitors so I left open a heat display on my second monitor and it didn't give me any alerts. My computer does run damn hot, though, over 150 F just launching the game.

1. I contacted HP support and they had me reinstall my video drivers, but it didn't help. The game crashed after about five minutes of play after I did that. HP is now sending me a flash drive to do a factory reset. To quote: "This looks like the windows files are corrupted badly and we need to reset the windows." I am not convinced it's software and think it might possibly be hardware-related, but we'll see.
2. I have been able to play Mass Effect: Legendary Edition for hours at a time without any problem. Not the most demanding game for this computer, though.
3. Starcraft 2 recently crashed after about 20min of play, in a very similar way to what I described here. This also isn't a demanding game for this computer, and I have played it for much longer in the past without issue, so it's weird. Maybe something is corrupted in the OS, as HP suggests.
Yea sounds like something is either corrupted or soon too break. Have hade a motherboard just give up once, it hade similar issues just crashed everything at random then it just gave up(hade a lightning strike, it worked for like 2 months after tho so kinda weird). If the report que is empty i have a feeling its not game related atleast, ive gotten reports even when i got hardlockups witch require a reset.

I guess you could run Windows System File Checker utility before trying HPs factory reset (sounds drastic!)? I've had success with it before in repairing a damaged Windows. Described in link below. It can take a little while to scan, but gives some peace-of-mind that the system at least THINKS it's installed OK.

Using System File Checker in Windows (microsoft.com)

EDIT just to affirm what Notserious80 said - CP2077 has always crashed 'gracefully' for me, as in you get an alert message on the desktop and an option to send a report to CDPR. Does sound like an OS/hardware issue. Um, have you looked at the logs that Windows generates in the Computer Management utility (right-click Start, select Computer Management and loki at the Event Viewer entry. It shows some (admittedly opaque to me) info about critical events.

Last edited:
What u have to understand is that the game wasn't ready, it came out with over 1100 bugs & glitches, cause they did a few patches but their 1.4 patch it patched almost 870 bugs just to make the game playable

Top Bottom