Cyberpunk, Game Piracy, and Next-gen Hardware

+
Sirnaq said:
Yeah, dunno why people keep digging this topic. Piracy is irrelevant, what is relevant are game sells and this you can only aquire by making good quality products.

Since when exactly is it against the forum rules to discuss piracy especially when Iwinski was talking of piracy in the vid?

Is Marcin the coolest CEO in game industry or what ?
Also it was quite endearing how nervous the interviewer was. I feel for him :)

CostinMoroianu said:
Since when exactly is it against the forum rules to discuss piracy especially when Iwinski was talking of piracy in the vid?
Where exactly did i say it's against the rules?

Interesting interview!

DRM is not the key... I personally buy all my games, but I'm frustrated when I see (forum, friends) my games legally obtained work less well than their counterparts piracy, 'cause of DRMs.

And it's been a while since I avoid games full of DRM (Ubisoft, EA [Goodbye SimCity 5], Activision ...) ...I prefer to wait until they appear on GOG, in a few decades, with no DRM! ahah :p

paulcz said:
Is Marcin the coolest CEO in game industry or what ?
Also it was quite endearing how nervous the interviewer was. I feel for him :)

At least he was familiar with CDPR and their recent conference

Forum veteran
jfprovata said:
Why would CDPR over exaggerate the number of pirated copies?
Because it makes them a sympathetic figure and partially justifies the questionable tactics they were using against pirates back when he said that (they've since stopped). His math was based not only on the assumption that it's possible to download a 14 gig game over a torrent in 6 hours, but that such a thing is possible on a not-so-fast internet connection and everyone is getting that speed constantly.

It's insane since it took many people longer than that to get the smaller EE patch with a more consistent download speed.

jfprovata said:
I wish someone would see the obvious solution to piracy, proprietary cartriges. If games/movies were put on these and played on read only drives, I think it would do away with piracy. I think microsoft might go this way with their next xbox because, I don't see them using sony's blu-ray.
What do you mean? There are emulators for every cartridge-based game system out there.

Sirnaq said:
Yeah, dunno why people keep digging this topic. Piracy is irrelevant, what is relevant are game sells and this you can only aquire by making good quality products.

Considering what is being sold en masse these days, I'd contest that notion. But I digress.

Good interview, looking forward to more news on CyberPunk.

In a way, it's a safe move for them to be strictly DRM free. But what about publishers? If things go south they can plainly say, "We'd love to sell this game to you DRM free, but publisher 'X' won't let us. Sorry." The fact is, throw guns into a game, and it'll be a hell of a lot more popular than a fantasy title. Which means more piracy. I predict their stance on DRM will be tested with Cyberpunk. They better start sweet talking publisher now.

Of course I'm playing devil's advocate here.

I wouldn't worry about publishers really. I think CDPR has proven that DRM doesn't matter and they've got enough to support their position against it. Obviously their next game will be pirated more, because it will attract more attention then TW2, and thus sell more in general.

^^ :D

They already have 1.7 million fans though some may have mixed reactions about the games.

CDPR will get it right I'm pretty sure of it.

RSIK4 said:
There r so many pirates r der to destroy d quality of game ......hardwork and tooo much effort.....spent on dat game......to make ...

pirates dont understand this....they just ........bunch of jerks and fools and idiotssssss
Yea ok, but let's keep this personal opinion away from here, ok? No insults.

Newer hardware will require with solid performance for next futuristic games...
Now look at max payne 3 damn size 25gb approx..i heard that their movie scale on 1080p almost thatsy their size is big
good amount of harware require for it..
Essential

secondchildren said:
Yea ok, but let's keep this personal opinion away from here, ok? No insults.

Ohk i understand that pirates also general people who does not spend money on buying the games
But for them downloading pirates copy of game is essemtial to test the skill..
From them someof it some people will buy the game but some wont..
actually pirated copy of games somehow destroy ur graphic card though i m not sure about it..
In india , also there millions of no. of gamers trys to download the games is easy option from pirates sites..
buying the game is not costly....but some people trys to buy the game
I think for the creators and developers the amount of work spent on the game
Thatsy piracy somehow must be stopped...

Saoe said:
That's why developers and publishers release games same day on all the platforms and not only on PC. Consoles almost dont have any piracy problems

To be fair, you should know that in the third world it's a luxury, or not part of the culture, to buy an original console game. Not something I do, as I collect original games, but I hardly know anybody who buys retail, except for my PS3-owning friends.

tracker05 said:
To be fair, you should know that in the third world it's a luxury, or not part of the culture, to buy an original console game. Not something I do, as I collect original games, but I hardly know anybody who buys retail, except for my PS3-owning friends.

Console piracy is just as bad! but it's kept really silent. TW2 EE xbox360 was on torrent sites two weeks before it's release.

I was raised in eastern(Baltic countries) and it's true, buying games is not as "famous" as buying it here in UK. in Eastern Europe piracy is not really seen as theft.

Mariusmssj said:
I was raised in eastern(Baltic countries) and it's true, buying games is not as "famous" as buying it here in UK. in Eastern Europe piracy is not really seen as theft.
Curious. Why not?

Zanderat said:
Curious. Why not?

First off because it's not defined as theft by any law in the world, and in the vast majority of them it's not even a criminal act, secondly because people see the companies selling games at 50 Euros in a country where people make 400-500 Dollars a month as the true thieves. People think those that spend that kind of money on a game here are insane ( and suffice to say that irritates me to no end considering I have been buying games since they became available at shops here ).

Also because many people bought copies from disc sellers ( the guys who pirate games and then sold them for around 2-4 Euros ) for years before games became available in stores and the police cracked down on them.

Finally because in quite a few countries it's still legal to pirate games, though in most of them as far as I know it's only legal for personal use.

CostinMoroianu said:
First off because it's not defined as theft by any law in the world and secondly because people see the companies selling games at 50 Euros in a country where people make 400-500 Dollars a month as the true thieves.

Also because many people bought copies from disc sellers ( the guys who pirate games and then sold them for around 2-4 Euros ) for years before games became available in stores and the police cracked down on them.

Finally because in quite a few countries it's still legal to pirate games, though in most of them as far as I know it's only legal for personal use.
So, if they like the games, how do they expect the companies that make the games to earn enough profit to continue making them? BTW, what is legal isn't what is always right.

Top Bottom