Cyberpunk has the worst location story telling in recent game history

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, those.

Ehhh...most of those are very, very short. And most of them tell you things you actually need to know in order to complete quests; they have in-game use. And the ones that are just filler are usually quite obvious.

That's makes a difference.

Plus, the fact that they're on computers in specific locations helped; I wasn't carting around the contents of every computer the way V carts around all of those shards. The opportunity to read Fallout's text was situational, immersive; it just seemed more natural and less like work, so it was easier to accept. It felt...in service of something, and not just flavor.
Ok, you missed an entire part of the game :(
No need to discuss more in this case. i'm out ;)

No need to discuss more in this case. i'm out ;)
Why ?
Because if the readings in Fallout 4 are not importants for you (except those related to a quest) and you skipped them. I wonder why in Cyberpunk it should be different, you can also skip it.
Sorry, but I don't understand that and i will probably never understand.
Now i'm really out :D

Why ?
Because if the readings in Fallout 4 are not importants for you (except those related to a quest) and you skipped them.

I didn't say that.

Quote the part where you think I said that.

I wonder why in Cyberpunk it should be different, you can also skip it.

Because it's not the same.

FALLOUT 4
  • Text is on computers in specific locations, not portable media
  • Because it's location-specific and on computers, that means immersion isn't broken because you're actually interacting with the world
  • At most, you get two very small pages of data per text entry, and most of it is very direct and to the point
CYBERPUNK 2077
  • Text is on portable media and can be read at any time
  • That means you have to take time out to read them, rather than getting them from devices with which one interacts
  • Shards are often found in the middle of combat
  • The contents of shards are often very, very long
  • It's not easy to tell which are relevant and which are just filler
  • Many aren't even particularly interesting, anyway
See? It's not the same. The experience is different; Fallout did it in a more natural, immersive fashion.

Sorry, but I don't understand that

Correct.

Game needs small hubs with hidden (umarked) long branching side quests chains unlocked via speaking to NPCs, bars of the game could do that for example. Such and old concept (big world, small villages / towns, full of things to do and unlock / discover), now for CP2077 we have one huge city, so we need small hubs in the form of places (small streets, bars, etc.) where the player knows he should come back from time to time and speak go every NPC to unlock engrossing lore reveling we made dialogue and new quest chains. Each hub themed according to it's location in the city, and having appropriate long quest chains that fit with said theme and lore of that location. This is what this game desperately needs: hubs, classic RPG hubs.
No no no no no my friend...
OBVIOUSLY the way to go is when your character is busy going on a mission to trying to go to a location or seeing what is around the corner is to ...
SPAM you with text message after text message..
Phone calls you must answer and not let go to voice mail and call them back but make you focus on the phone call you cant refuse rather than see the world...
SPAM is the answer....
as well as making buying cars "quests"

...and not making gangs start to look out for the person gunning them down over and over for the NCPD missions ..
obviously we are just entitled gamers
Post automatically merged:

In view of your posts, no. I would say that it is not "only" these details.
Why ? too fast reply, i edited my previous post ;)

Edit:
And for me, a game like Cyberpunk without content to read (impossible to describe / explain / discover everything otherwise) it is not possible. For the image, it would be a bit like Minecraft without a pickaxe, Ark without a dinosaur, Fallout without radiation or The Witcher without sword.

Re-Edit: :D
And if you don't read anything, you can't know this kind of details (quite important in my opinion) :
-It's Judy who recommended you to the Peralez.
-Evelyn wanted to sell the biochip to Netwatch to leave Night City with Judy.
-I can make a serious list of those little details :)
I think the sheer SPAM of them as well as the sheer number of them is one reason they don't go over well.
W3 had many books - but all in all not THAT super many.
And many places the books were found in libraries and on desks, etc - they fit and one could pass them by as well as they auto show up in inventory as read

I think 2077 suffers from:
SPAM shards - you find SO MANY allmeats, cyberpsychosis, etc etc over and over and over
Location - you find them all over the place - sitting on a box in a gang combat zone, sitting in a bathroom, sitting on a box in a locked storage closet
- if the location was a wee bit more limited, or the location felt less - put one THERE, it might have gone over better

As it is they don't mesh with the world, to me, as well as say, the W3 books or the datafiles in Fallout series.

Last edited:
I think the sheer SPAM of them as well as the sheer number of them is one reason they don't go over well.

See? You get it.
I'm all kinds of not alone on this one. :)

And many places the books were found in libraries and on desks, etc - they fit and one could pass them by as well as they auto show up in inventory as read

Whereas CP2077 has a shard at every. last. location.
Every mission. Every side gig. Every fixer quest. Anything that has a goal attached will have at least one shard somewhere.

I think 2077 suffers from:
SPAM shards - you find SO MANY allmeats, cyberpsychosis, etc etc over and over and over
Location - you find them all over the place - sitting on a box in a gang combat zone, sitting in a bathroom, sitting on a box in a locked storage closet
- if the location was a wee bit more limited, or the location felt less - put one THERE, it might have gone over better

As it is they don't mesh with the world, to me, as well as say, the W3 books or the datafiles in Fallout series.

I never played W3, so I can't comment, but I agree with absolutely everything else you said. :)

See? You get it.
I'm all kinds of not alone on this one. :)

Whereas CP2077 has a shard at every. last. location.
Every mission. Every side gig. Every fixer quest. Anything that has a goal attached will have at least one shard somewhere.

I never played W3, so I can't comment, but I agree with absolutely everything else you said. :)
I suggest you play witcher 3, It's really awesome.

I didn't say that.

FALLOUT 4
  • Because it's location-specific and on computers, that means immersion isn't broken because you're actually interacting with the world
  • At most, you get two very small pages of data per text entry, and most of it is very direct and to the point
CYBERPUNK 2077
  • That means you have to take time out to read them, rather than getting them from devices with which one interacts
See? It's not the same. The experience is different; Fallout did it in a more natural, immersive fashion

I didn't say that.

FALLOUT 4
CYBERPUNK 2077
See? It's not the same. The experience is different; Fallout did it in a more natural, immersive fashion.

Correct.
There is a difference in the presentation yes but if the story isn't good then presentation is not going to help. The reading material in cyberpunk 2077 was pretty diverse. You had...
  • Bios
  • Literature
  • text messages
  • backstory
  • historical lore
  • political theory
  • death threats from serial killers
  • criminal profiling
The list goes on and on. I really don't think you enjoy reading cyberpunk fiction. Which is fine but there was so many great characters and moments you missed out on.

I suggest you play witcher 3, It's really awesome.
I won't. Neither the premise nor the setting are to my taste.
Now, if they set it in space with lots of high tech, I'll give it a whirl. So, basically, when CDPR makes Mass Effect, I'll give it a try.

There is a difference in the presentation yes but if the story isn't good then presentation is not going to help.

Actually, that's not necessarily true.

The reading material in cyberpunk 2077 was pretty diverse. You had...
  • Bios
  • Literature
  • text messages
  • backstory
  • historical lore
  • political theory
  • death threats from serial killers
  • criminal profiling

And I want to read pretty much none of it.

Or, more specifically, I want to read none of it. In fact, it's almost entirely down to presentation and the fact that it's a game and not a book.

I really don't think you enjoy reading cyberpunk fiction.

Then you've completely missed the point I'm making.
This is a video game. I don't want to read while playing a video game. That's 100% of the point: video game = wrong time for tons of reading.

I'll cheerfully read books, but when it's a video game, I'm not looking for a double-wide buttload of prose.

There is reading...and then there is, "Take a break from the game you were playing to read this 10-page short story."

There is no comparison.

No, they're not.
They're the kinds of things that should be evident merely from gameplay, from interacting with the world and its inhabitants.

If a game needs to you read its in-universe wiki to understand it...maybe not the best-designed game in the world, yanno?

In other words, sitting idle, not playing,
What you're describing is homework, not playing! It's not interacting.

Interacting with the world and its inhabitants. Like I said.

Reading shards and watching the tube isn't 'investigation'.

Sneaking into a corp's computer mainframe and downloading their intel is investigation.
Figuring out who killed that corpse in the bedroom is investigation.

Reading shards is kind of the opposite of those things; it's V sittin' on his or her tuckus with a bleeping, censored novel.

But that doesn't mean it requires reading to find out.
Maybe there are witnesses you can talk to. Maybe there is evidence strewn about. Something to do while you're investigating.
Instead, CDPR decided to give us...text.

You can see how that seems like a cop-out on my end, yes? This information could be given to us through gameplay, rather than reading, and it should have been.

Well, either that, or you've played a bit too much of it...that's one possibility.

Another is...well, it's more than possible that I had it on more than one computer or something.
Maybe I had it on disc first, too, like 3, before I got it on Steam, I don't know. I just know I've spent a long, long time playing it.

Oh, those.

Ehhh...most of those are very, very short. And most of them tell you things you actually need to know in order to complete quests; they have in-game use. And the ones that are just filler are usually quite obvious.

That's makes a difference.

Plus, the fact that they're on computers in specific locations helped; I wasn't carting around the contents of every computer the way V carts around all of those shards. The opportunity to read Fallout's text was situational, immersive; it just seemed more natural and less like work, so it was easier to accept. It felt...in service of something, and not just flavor.

you literally gain a lot of information by hacking peoples emails, and many of the shards you pick up are found on corpses, representing their Last text exchanges. They are shards because you essentially are copying information you find at the scenes.

It seems like you read the shards after the fact, instead of where they were found. Basically, for the best immersion and less hassle, you read shards and hack emails/read computers where you find them. If its a long pamphlet or history, you read those later, if you even feel like it.

Its too much to go through after the fact, and it usually loses its context. Many of the stories are hard to understand, it connect their signifigance after the fact.

Like when you find a body, and a text exchange where a dude apparently kills a friend who comes out to the rich part of town, due to paranoia about him trying to get his stolen hoard, then you follow the trail and find a tent with mines around it and a dead body, with a shard about remembering where he placed the mines, Thats an interactive story if you read it as its happening in the context of the scene you find it in. But if you read it later, you probably won't even realize the two are connected, and you probably won't remember the scenes and locations.

point is, most of the information is placed in a specific context that gives it and the location meaning. Reading the shards after the fact is more for remembering or reference.

If a player had ignored them all, and wanted to understand the world more, I would recommend replaying the game but reading them as you go, over just trying to read it at the end. A lot of information is missing outside of the scene for anything that isn't a magazine. Even the poems are generally placed to give significance to certain places, or to illustrate the character of someone you are dealing with. Knowing what poem yorinobu reads tell you something about Yori. Reading the poem without knowing its owner tells you less.

thats said, its fine if you don't want to read, I personally am very glad all this info exists in game. Different strokes, I personally would rather read/skim bulk information than sit through cutscenes or Audio conversations. If an article exists as text, or a video, I will choose the text. Text imo is great for side content, and replay.

Last edited:
you literally gain a lot of information by hacking peoples emails, and many of the shards you pick up are found on corpses, representing their Last text exchanges.

So? I don't think you get it: the information isn't what's at issue, here.

It's the medium by which the information is received that's the problem.

It seems like you read the shards after the fact, instead of where they were found.

Cuz when I find them, I'm usually in the middle of something else entirely and want to keep going with it.

That's part of why it's better in, say, Fallout: the computers are there and you can't take the data with you, so it feels like you're doing it in a more organic way, a more immersive way. It makes the reading feel like it has a purpose, rather than just...being there. It's part of the adventure, where the shards are just an item you find.

Basically, for the best immersion and less hassle, you read shards and hack emails/read computers where you find them.

Except having to read--especially, like, out in the middle of a street or a combat zone--is about as immersion-breaking as you can get.

"Hold on there, Mr. Street-Gang, while I read this message shard. I know we're having a firefight, but I gotta read it right here, where i found it."
Yeah, no. Not gonna happen. And after the firefight, I'm busy looting. And after I'm done looting, I have other things I want to do that are way more exciting than reading.

That's the thing: reading means slowing down. It means taking a break.
But I don't wanna; my interest is piqued and my adrenaline is rushing; I wanna go do things.

You see why I describe reading shards as an interruption? It just doesn't really fit with the rest of what is available to do in the game.

Its too much to go through after the fact, and it usually loses its context. Many of the stories are hard to understand, it connect their signifigance after the fact.

And yet, in the moment, I'm in the moment. In the zone.
Stopping to read something would be like taking a cat nap in the middle of a marathon; getting back to running is going to be problematic cuz you lost all your momentum.

If a player had ignored them all, and wanted to understand the world more, I would recommend replaying the game but reading them as you go, over just trying to read it at the end.

Well, I don't want to read them at all.
The information on those shards should come to my ears, not my eyes, and shouldn't interrupt the action.

thats said, its fine if you don't want to read, I personally am very glad all this info exists in game.

Again, I want the information...just not in text.
Not in a way that kills my momentum.

Different strokes, I personally would rather read/skim bulk information than sit through cutscenes or Audio conversations. If an article exists as text, or a video, I will choose the text. Text imo is great for side content, and replay.

Whereas I think text is for novelizations, existing entirely outside the game.
Cuz it's a game, not a novel.

Why ?
Because if the readings in Fallout 4 are not importants for you (except those related to a quest) and you skipped them. I wonder why in Cyberpunk it should be different, you can also skip it.
Sorry, but I don't understand that and i will probably never understand.
Now i'm really out :D
What a weird conversation, it's hard to believe for me that someone who played Bethesda's games would ignore fact they are full of books, notes,logs etc. In Skyrim you have to read some of them to start quests like book about Red Eagle...You literally fetch books arond world, you can place these books on shelves inside your house...:) Unfortunetly no tapes in Skyrim...but F76 on other hand...

So? I don't think you get it: the information isn't what's at issue, here.

It's the medium by which the information is received that's the problem.

Cuz when I find them, I'm usually in the middle of something else entirely and want to keep going with it.

That's part of why it's better in, say, Fallout: the computers are there and you can't take the data with you, so it feels like you're doing it in a more organic way, a more immersive way. It makes the reading feel like it has a purpose, rather than just...being there. It's part of the adventure, where the shards are just an item you find.

Except having to read--especially, like, out in the middle of a street or a combat zone--is about as immersion-breaking as you can get.

"Hold on there, Mr. Street-Gang, while I read this message shard. I know we're having a firefight, but I gotta read it right here, where i found it."
Yeah, no. Not gonna happen. And after the firefight, I'm busy looting. And after I'm done looting, I have other things I want to do that are way more exciting than reading.

That's the thing: reading means slowing down. It means taking a break.
But I don't wanna; my interest is piqued and my adrenaline is rushing; I wanna go do things.

You see why I describe reading shards as an interruption? It just doesn't really fit with the rest of what is available to do in the game.

And yet, in the moment, I'm in the moment. In the zone.
Stopping to read something would be like taking a cat nap in the middle of a marathon; getting back to running is going to be problematic cuz you lost all your momentum.

Well, I don't want to read them at all.
The information on those shards should come to my ears, not my eyes, and shouldn't interrupt the action.

Again, I want the information...just not in text.
Not in a way that kills my momentum.

Whereas I think text is for novelizations, existing entirely outside the game.
Cuz it's a game, not a novel.

games and words are not mutually exclusive, in fact thats what this genre is built on. You don't have to like it but the reasoning that
game ≠ reading is false.

thats your preference, but it isn't an inferior method of storytelling or game design

games and words are not mutually exclusive, in fact thats what this genre is built on. You don't have to like it but the reasoning that
game ≠ reading is false.

**facepalm** See, what you've just done is basically letter-vs-spirit.

You have to know perfectly well that's not what I'm getting at, so either you're trying to score cheap points or...I don't know what. But this argument is wildly off-target; it doesn't address my reasons for not wanting to read shards at all.

thats your preference, but it isn't an inferior method of storytelling or game design

When it yanks the player out of the game, yes, it is.
And it does. The way we're given info is not organic, it makes interaction with the world grind to a halt, and it's a total crap-shoot whether one shard will be interesting or not.

It's like a commercial break interrupting the show. That's what reading shards is like.
It's like an intermission in a movie or play.
It's like when someone pauses Netflix cuz they gotta take a leak, so everybody else is just waiting for them.

That's what reading shards is like: you're in the middle of something fun and interactive that grinds to a halt, interrupted by something that's in a different format.

This thread was necroed from December.
It's now turned into an endless debate that is going absolutely nowhere and where some people have not been following the rule of being respectful and posting meaningful content.

Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom