Cyberpunk has the worst location story telling in recent game history

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming back to reading, I don't mind. I'm the type to read all the books (TES, TW, DOS,...), to read all the computers in Fallout, in short everything that can be read.
I see it as world's background (may be useful in TES for example, to understand some responses from NPCs in Skyrim if you haven't played the previous episodes).
Cyberpunk has the worst books, computers in recent game history!!!

You know it's possible to read those shards later (in calm), like after you have finished a GIG, you can read the related shards (without breaking your immersion).

No, it still breaks my immersion to read shards, regardless of the situation in the game.

Why? Cuz reading pauses the action.
And I don't just mean combat; I mean I can't walk, can't shop, can't start a mission, can't do anything but read.
It's the same reason why, even if it's super-super interesting, I don't turn on the TV, sit, and watch...cuz I'm playing a game, consarn it! Maybe if I could extract the video files and watch them when I'm not playing...but the point is that reading and watching the TV makes me stop playing and start reading/watching.

TL;DR: it kills interactivity, and I'm playing a game because I want interactivity.

You can come up with with tons of rationalizations, but it won't change these very simple facts: reading/watching stops gameplay, and that's not the experience I want. That's why I like the audio tapes in Fallout: you can absorb the information while you continue to do things.

No, it still breaks my immersion to read shards, regardless of the situation in the game.

And I don't just mean combat; I mean I can't walk, can't shop, can't start a mission, can't do anything but read.
It's the same reason why, even if it's super-super interesting, I don't turn on the TV, sit, and watch...cuz I'm playing a game, consarn it! Maybe if I could extract the video files and watch them when I'm not playing...but the point is that reading and watching the TV makes me stop playing and start reading/watching.

TL;DR: it kills interactivity, and I'm playing a game because I want interactivity.

You can come with with tons of rationalizations, but it won't change these very simple facts: reading/watching stops gameplay, and that's not the experience I want. That's why I like the audio tapes in Fallout: you can absorb the information while you continue to do things.
Then maybe you play wrong game, reading stuff it's not innovation in RPG games... [...] Fallouts are full of stuff like that, except one: Fallout76, a lot of tapes there, you should try it out.

Fallout 4 had plenty of tapes and really no reading; we were even playing the same game?
Apparently, you didn't play the same fallout 4 as me (in all Bethesda's games there are a bunch reads) :)
Some tapes (not "plenty", If you want, I could tell you how many, they are all in a special container in my last save), but there are plenty of computers where you can read plenty of messages.

You can come up with with tons of rationalizations, but it won't change these very simple facts: reading/watching stops gameplay, and that's not the experience I want. That's why I like the audio tapes in Fallout: you can absorb the information while you continue to do things.
I don't really think that's logical. You might as well say you stop being alive when you pick up a book. It's just a different type of gameplay that, granted, you don't much like. It's improbable that the characters in Cyberpunk are intended to be functionally illiterate.

Apparently, you didn't play the same fallout 4 as me (in all Bethesda's games there are a bunch reads) :)
Some tapes (not "plenty", If you want, I could tell you how many, they are all in a special container in my last save), but there are plenty of computers where you can read plenty of messages.
Yeah wth Bethesda's games are full of it and it's good content. Few tapes are even in Fallout 3, but there's like ton of stuff to read. In game like Skyrim it's overwhelming. In Fallout 76 tapes are one of main narrative tools, at least were, when there was no NPCs. Game is only 10$ on Amazon, very cheap and I'm sure it will satisfy players who like to listen tapes.

I prefer reading the shards rather than NCPs with a lot of extra conversation lines that can be extremely boring for the people who don't want to go deep in the story or people who replay the game. GIGs and side quests give also enough information about the world of CP.

I prefer reading the shards rather than NCPs with a lot of extra conversation lines that can be extremely boring for the people who don't want to go deep in the story or people who replay the game. GIGs and side quests give also enough information about the world of CP.
I was satisfied with amount of lore it provided, but I think shards as tool was a little bit overused. Every quest there's shard to read, sometimes is something on computer but rarely. After sometime is monotonous: eliminate baddies, read shard to learn about story. Over and over again.

I don't really think that's logical. You might as well say you stop being alive when you pick up a book.

You wanna talk illogical, that is illogical.
That's not even close to what I said.

It's just a different type of gameplay that, granted, you don't much like.

Wrong.

It's a change in gameplay that's different from what I was already doing. It's an interruption.

It's improbable that the characters in Cyberpunk are intended to be functionally illiterate.

And this 100% misses the point of my objection; I really don't care whether it's "realistic" to have to read anything.
I'm playing a game, not reading a book; it's an activity. It's a very action-based, interactive activity...only suddenly it changes because sometimes it's reading instead.

The only issue I have with shards is its format. If its dialogue, it would be nice to have different fonts or colours that would stand out as sometimes it all blends into one.

The purpose of the reading is to discover subtext. The hidden meaning behind the words. They require a full range of reading comprehension skills and imagination. Reading the logs about Netrunners with high ambitions only to fail at hacking into corporate networks teaches a lesson about being cautious of ones own limitations and moral compass. Some logs describe stories about the betrayal of best friends or lovers. There is so much you are missing out on and would highly recommend extracting these lessons to apply in your own life. Be safe.

The purpose of the reading is to discover subtext.

Irrelevant.

The purpose of the game is to play it, not to be constantly reading flavor text.
Part of the appeal of this game is that you can walk away from a conversation at any time, you're not locked in because you selected the option to begin a dialogue. It means that, even during cut-scenes, I'm still doing things. (And please don't say, "Reading is doing something!" cuz you know perfectly well what I mean. Just cuz English is inadequate to the task of succinctly describing it doesn't mean there isn't a valid distinction I'm making.)

But while I'm reading, I'm just...reading.
For a long time, in some cases. I get impatient to get back to the parts where I'm controlling a character, interacting with NPCs, killing them in some cases...that's why I bought the game. That's what I want to be doing.
(And, again, I see the, "But reading is optional!" argument coming over the horizon; again, not my point. The information we've been getting from reading should be acquired by other means. I'm not saying I don't want the info, I'm saying I want it in a different, less time-consuming, less interaction-killed format.

The hidden meaning behind the words. They require a full range of reading comprehension skills and imagination.

Again, irrelevant.

The problem is not with the content; the problem is with the kind of activity it is.
I don't want to spending inordinate amounts of time reading while playing CP2077, or really any other video game. That's not why I plunked down my money for it.

here is so much you are missing out on and would highly recommend extracting these lessons to apply in your own life. Be safe.

Then I'd highly recommend them being in the game in audio-visual form rather than text. Or in a form that allows us to continue walking around and doing things while the information is being shown to the player.

Imagine, for a moment, that I'm someone with weapons-grade ADHD (not too far off the mark); surely you can see how someone like that will grow impatient and restless with that much text in the game!

The purpose of the game is to play it, not to be constantly reading flavor text.
Part of the appeal of this game is that you can walk away from a conversation at any time, you're not locked in because you selected the option to begin a dialogue. It means that, even during cut-scenes, I'm still doing things. (And please don't say, "Reading is doing something!" cuz you know perfectly well what I mean. Just cuz English is inadequate to the task of succinctly describing it doesn't mean there isn't a valid distinction I'm making.)
Imagine, for a moment, that I'm someone with weapons-grade ADHD (not too far off the mark); surely you can see how someone like that will grow impatient and restless with that much text in the game!
It's seem evident to me, sadly it's not your type of game and it will probably never be it :(
(i am amazed that Bethesda games are, there are a ton of reading. And if you don't read it, you skip a lot of interesting things)

What, because there is one element I find distasteful, the game isn't for me?
That's reasoning from one to infinity, an unreasonable extrapolation.
In view of your posts, no. I would say that it is not "only" these details.
Why ? too fast reply, i edited my previous post ;)

Edit:
And for me, a game like Cyberpunk without content to read (impossible to describe / explain / discover everything otherwise) it is not possible. For the image, it would be a bit like Minecraft without a pickaxe, Ark without a dinosaur, Fallout without radiation or The Witcher without sword.

Re-Edit: :D
And if you don't read anything, you can't know this kind of details (quite important in my opinion) :
-It's Judy who recommended you to the Peralez.
-Evelyn wanted to sell the biochip to Netwatch to leave Night City with Judy.
-I can make a serious list of those little details :)

Last edited:

Thing is, I've played a lot of very similar games. And loved them.
But CP2077 gets wrong what most of those games did right. Same game function implemented similarly...but badly. Or something hasn't been included that, honestly, should have been.

That's where the issues come in. I'm not disappointed with the style of gameplay; it's the specific details where we start to see problems.

So, this then: (i am amazed that Bethesda games are, there are a ton of reading. And if you don't read it, you skip a lot of interesting things)

Well, number one, CP2077 has cranked the reading up tremendously.
If Bethsda games are a baseline, CP2077 is waaaaaayyyy far beyond that, like to exponential levels. There must be at least several hundred shards out there in Night City; nobody can be expected to read that much while playing a game!

Number two, I spent more time playing Fallout 3 & 4 than I ever did with Skyrim--I like post-apocalypse far more than fantasy--and I don't remember a lot of reading. Like, really not at all.
As for the books in Skyrim...ugh, maybe I shouldn't even have brought it up, but I was totally not invested in Skyrim's story. I honestly didn't care very much. But part of that was the same problem I had trying to read Anne McCaffrey: the player is thrown into the middle of a huge conflict without a scrap of background during gameplay. Tons of names are thrown at you in a massive info dump, and I'm just like, "Okay, this is really confusing and the game is making no effort to tell me why any of this matters. I'm just gonna go kill stuff and level up, cuz that's the fun part, anyway." The game never made me care who would win or lose, at the end, the way Fallout managed.

So there's that.

But I maintain that Fallout 4 is an amazing game. Maybe not perfect--no game is--but I've played 409 hours, versus 171 in Skyrim. (No idea with Fallout 3, tho; I had it on disc before I got the GOTY Edition on Steam, so it wasn't recorded. Still played a lot of it.)
So...yeah.

Thing is, these Bethsda games get right what CP2077 got wrong: good enemy AI is the first to come to mind, and it's a pretty important one.
They just implemented important features--and included important features--in ways CDPR just didn't.

It's not laziness, it's a matter of priorities.

I'm playing a game. I want to play.
If the game is making take several minutes to read through some of those long, long, long walls of text, it yanks me right out of what I was doing. It's like a movie that has an intermission, but during the intermission you have to do chores.

Not difficult.

Inappropriate.

Imagine you're in the middle of a horror movie--Texas Chainsaw Massacre, let's say--and then for no reason whatsoever, there is a musical number, Broadway-style.
Kinda gonna yank you right out of the experience, innit? Well, it's the same with games that make you read. A game is supposed to be interactive, but here I am, probably in the middle of something, and all of a sudden I have to sit down to someone's 12-page short story.

Yeah...no. It's just the wrong time and place for reading, the wrong medium for reading.
If a game contains that much text, it had better be a text adventure a la "Zork"; otherwise, it's not appropriate.

rpgs in videogames have been full of reading for like ever.

Also, the things you are reading in this rpg, represent the type of things you would probably have to read, if you wanted to know about them. Like magazine articles, peoples emails, diaries and text messages. Its just for people who want to know more about the world,

however, you can also find a lot out a lot by listening to talk radio, watching the TV, and I think some of the websites have video.

Basically its an rpg, thats designed to put you into the world, and you experience it as V does. There are no cutscenes or things shown to you that V doesn't see. So the question is how would V get this information.

That aside, the reality is that voice acting dramatically reduces content due to the cost, the size of the files, and the extra planning, work etc. Many people say Skyrim and oblivion were noticeably shorter on content, and depth, due to being heavily voiced, in comparison to morrowind. If they had to voice all the lore, and information that V could get, V would just get a lot less information.

Edit:
And for me, a game like Cyberpunk without content to read (impossible to describe / explain / discover everything otherwise) it is not possible. For the image, it would be a bit like Minecraft without a pickaxe, Ark without a dinosaur, Fallout without radiation or The Witcher without sword.

yea, the way V finds this type of stuff out is through investigation. If you are in these types of situations, sneaking in houses, looking at crime scenes, this is how you would naturally find most of this stuff out. a dead man isn't going to get up and tell you he was talking to a gang leader. a cyberpsycho isnt going to tell you why he has become a feral psychopath.

Number two, I spent more time playing Fallout 3 & 4 than I ever did with Skyrim--I like post-apocalypse far more than fantasy--and I don't remember a lot of reading. Like, really not at all.
So for Fallout (33 days and 9h for me. Yes it's days on Xbox stats) either you are of bad faith (I doubt it) or you have completly missed the entire part of the game :(
In each building, there are 2 or 3 computers (if not more) filled with messages to read for discover the world, the characters, the stories behind the place,... in short the same thing as in Cyberpunk but on computers (and not readable after).

Last edited:
rpgs in videogames have been full of reading for like ever.

There is reading...and then there is, "Take a break from the game you were playing to read this 10-page short story."

There is no comparison.

Also, the things you are reading in this rpg, represent the type of things you would probably have to read, if you wanted to know about them.

No, they're not.
They're the kinds of things that should be evident merely from gameplay, from interacting with the world and its inhabitants.

If a game needs to you read its in-universe wiki to understand it...maybe not the best-designed game in the world, yanno?

however, you can also find a lot out a lot by listening to talk radio, watching the TV, and I think some of the websites have video.

In other words, sitting idle, not playing,
What you're describing is homework, not playing! It's not interacting.

Basically its an rpg, thats designed to put you into the world, and you experience it as V does. There are no cutscenes or things shown to you that V doesn't see. So the question is how would V get this information.

Interacting with the world and its inhabitants. Like I said.

yea, the way V finds this type of stuff out is through investigation.

Reading shards and watching the tube isn't 'investigation'.

Sneaking into a corp's computer mainframe and downloading their intel is investigation.
Figuring out who killed that corpse in the bedroom is investigation.

Reading shards is kind of the opposite of those things; it's V sittin' on his or her tuckus with a bleeping, censored novel.

If you are in these types of situations, sneaking in houses, looking at crime scenes, this is how you would naturally find most of this stuff out. a dead man isn't going to get up and tell you he was talking to a gang leader. a cyberpsycho isnt going to tell you why he has become a feral psychopath.

But that doesn't mean it requires reading to find out.
Maybe there are witnesses you can talk to. Maybe there is evidence strewn about. Something to do while you're investigating.
Instead, CDPR decided to give us...text.

You can see how that seems like a cop-out on my end, yes? This information could be given to us through gameplay, rather than reading, and it should have been.

So for Fallout (33 days and 9h for me. Yes it's days on Xbox stats) either you are of bad faith (I doubt it) or you have completely missed the entire part of the game

Well, either that, or you've played a bit too much of it...that's one possibility.

Another is...well, it's more than possible that I had it on more than one computer or something.
Maybe I had it on disc first, too, like 3, before I got it on Steam, I don't know. I just know I've spent a long, long time playing it.

:(
There are in each building 2 or 3 computers (if not more) filled with messages to read for discover the world, the stories behind the place,...

Oh, those.

Ehhh...most of those are very, very short. And most of them tell you things you actually need to know in order to complete quests; they have in-game use. And the ones that are just filler are usually quite obvious.

That's makes a difference.

Plus, the fact that they're on computers in specific locations helped; I wasn't carting around the contents of every computer the way V carts around all of those shards. The opportunity to read Fallout's text was situational, immersive; it just seemed more natural and less like work, so it was easier to accept. It felt...in service of something, and not just flavor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom