Cyberpunk in numbers

+
Cyberpunk 2077 is a story-driven game with finite amount of content. ETS2 and Bannerlord are sandbox games with infinite amount of content. Football Manager 2021 is another sandbox game with 60.430 concurrent players on steam. Its content is also infinite. You might be noticing the pattern.

Yes, and I never said that they were not sandbox games, I was merely explaining why people might make the comparison or find it odd that a game with a seemingly smaller audience has retained a larger amount of people playing compared to a game that cast its net far wider.

I was merely explaining why people might make the comparison or find it odd that a game with a seemingly smaller audience has retained a larger amount of people playing compared to a game that cast its net far wider.
It's not odd, it's not weird, two simple words, "sandbox" and "endless" games :)
Have you ever seen a Minecraft ad somewhere ?
Surprinsingly, it's one of the most played games, best-selling games and yet it's over ten years old.

It's not odd, it's not weird, two simple words, "sandbox" and "endless" games :)
Have you ever seen a Minecraft ad somewhere ?
Surprinsingly, it's one of the most played games, best-selling games and yet it's over ten years old.

It is odd. A niche game is targeted at a smaller audience, where as CP77 was aimed at a far larger audience, therefore, when the niche game has more current players, that is a bit odd. Sad in a way too.

It is odd. A niche game is targeted at a smaller audience, where as CP77 was aimed at a far larger audience, therefore, when the niche game has more current players, that is a bit odd. Sad in a way too.
Not odd,look at that.
It's not a "niche" game at all, but short story. Released May 7, 2021.
Resident Evil Village
0 - playing an hour ago
1,683 - 24-hour peak

Or that
The buggy game by excellence,
Not for all players but endless or almost, also have multiplayer. Released June 2, 2015
ARK: Survival Evolved
42,683 - playing an hour ago
66,493 - 24-hour peak

Not odd,look at that.
It's not a "niche" game at all, but short story. Released May 7, 2021.
Resident Evil Village
0 - playing an hour ago

Or that
The buggy game by excellence,
Not for all players but endless or almost, also have multiplayer. Released June 2, 2015
ARK: Survival Evolved
42,683 - playing an hour ago

Going back to the actual game mentioned, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is more of a niche game than Cyberpunk 2077. I was not referring to CP77 as a niche game, it is actually the opposite.

Going back to the actual game mentioned, Euro Truck Simulator 2 is more of a niche game than Cyberpunk 2077. I was not referring to CP77 as a niche game, it is actually the opposite.
Yep I know ;)
But RE-Village is not a "niche game", I think. Develloped by Capcom (quite famous).
It is not endless, it is not multiplayer, a little bit like CP (but it's always difficult to compare two games anyway).
Unlike Ark who is a "niche game", I also think. Develloped by Wild Card (you know this studios ? quite unknow if you don't play ARK...)

And the numbers are also really different for this two games.

Last edited:
Completely off-topic posts deleted. They were actively ridiculing people, too.

You will not be allowed to turn this into a thread about how bad you think the game is. If you have nothing to say on the actual topic please do not post.

Check TW3's numbers in 2015 (even after 1st expansion) and compare it to Cyberpunk's. Check TW3's numbers before and after December 2019.
https://steamcharts.com/app/292030
So what are you trying to point out? The Witchers oscillating player numbers in comparison to cyberpunks steadily dropping ones?
Witchers numbers seem to grow around vacation times and drop around work times. Cyberpunk is following the drop only trend.
I mean you can argue as much as you want telling whatever good stuff you'd like about CP77 and that's your opinion so it's fine, but numbers aren't a matter of opinion. The downwards trend is obvious and people are seemingly losing interest, CDPR needs to do something about it.

Guest 3847602

So what are you trying to point out?
That TW3 didn't have 19.000 concurrent players after 8 months (like it does now), but less than 9.000. After 8 months Cyberpunk have 9.300 with no new content so far. In that time TW3 had 16 free DLCs and one expansion.
That TW3's numbers were 10-15.000 between August 2016 and December 2019, when Netflix show premiered which caused the number of concurrent players to double in size and it never dropped again to pre-2020 level.
That TW3 is the exception to the rule and no other story-driven game have numbers that high 6 years after their launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
That TW3 didn't have 19.000 concurrent players after 8 months (like it does now), but less than 9.000. After 8 months Cyberpunk have 9.300 with no new content so far. In that time TW3 had 16 free DLCs and one expansion.
That TW3's numbers were 10-15.000 between August 2016 and December 2019, when Netflix show premiered which caused the number of concurrent players to double in size and it never dropped again to pre-2020 level.
That TW3 is the exception to the rule and no other story-driven game have numbers that high 6 years after their launch.
That's true however the initial player base is nowhere near comparable. We're talking 52k to 8k compared to 900k to 9k.
That's 15% of initial player base after 8 months compared to 1%.
But TW3 is incomparable you said, okay let's try something else.
RDR2 from dropped 28k to 8k in 8 months.
Fallout 4 dropped from 225k to 25k in 8 months.
Dying light dropped from 13k to 3k in 8 months.
Skyrim dropped from 24k to 20k in 8 months.
TW3 isn't an isolated case, there are plenty of games like TW3 which are doing good as well. Cyberpunk lost 99% of it's initial player base within 8 months.

No other game had such success after 6 years you say - Skyrim went from 24k to 12k in 6 years.
That's 50% compared to the Witchers 39%.
I mean i get it - you really like the game. Fair enough, it's subjective. But the numbers are objective, they arent lying, CP77 lost 99% of committed players within 8 months. I firmly believe people who think there is nothing worrying about it are lying to themselves.
Anyway let's quit that public discussion, i don't want more warnings. Dm if you want

Guest 3847602

That's true however the initial player base is nowhere near comparable. We're talking 52k to 8k compared to 900k to 9k.
That's 15% of initial player base after 8 months compared to 1%.
TW3 isn't an isolated case, there are plenty of games like TW3 which are doing good as well. Cyberpunk lost 99% of it's initial player base within 8 months.

No other game had such success after 6 years you say - Skyrim went from 24k to 12k in 6 years.
That's 50% compared to the Witchers 39%.
I mean i get it - you really like the game. Fair enough, it's subjective. But the numbers are objective, they arent lying, CP77 lost 99% of committed players within 8 months. I firmly believe people who think there is nothing worrying about it are lying to themselves.
Anyway let's quit that public discussion, i don't want more warnings. Dm if you want
I'll just say this: There was no way in hell for CP2077, or any other story-driven, singleplayer-only game to keep hundreds of thousands of people playing it after few months. Impossible, even if the game had 100% positive user rating. Most people beat the story or lose interest by that time and move on to something else. Bethesda's games are not story-driven.

One example, quite short story, no plutiplayer and no "sandbox" elements :
Resident Evil Village
Dropped from 30K to 1.6K in 3 months.
Even dropped about 85% in one month (May/June)

Does that mean Resident Evil Village sucks ? What the players didn't like it ? No, certainly not, but most of them finished it (or played enough), liked it, and are playing on something else now, that's all.

If you haven't a multiplayer, "sandbox elements" or even plenty of mods (skyrim/falllout), the numbers of players drop inevitably after few months :)

The only half-logical explanation I've heard is that low number of concurrent players might dissuade CDPR from releasing any story expansions.
Yeah, well, even if this drop in active players is true, then expansions are basically a must for CDPR to renew the interest for the game and get those "fleeing" players back. CP is one of their only two IPs, it's not like they can afford to drop the game like that.

All companies willing to grow must do everything in order to keep interest around their products, ESPECIALLY if that interest is declining. There are software houses who can afford to drop support to their games quite early, only because they roll out one game after the other. This is not the case, CDPR has all the interest in the world to keep CP77 alive and kicking for as long as possible, at least until their new big game (be it Witcher 4, a CP sequel/spin off, whatever) become a real thing.

It's not like they can keep the company afloat just with The Witcher: Pokemon Slayer's incomes (oops... Freudian slip... ).

Guest 3847602

Yeah, well, even if this drop in active players is true, then expansions are basically a must for CDPR to renew the interest for the game and get those "fleeing" players back. CP is one of their only two IPs, it's not like they can afford to drop the game like that.
Definitely. It would be suicidal to abandon the product they've invested so much time and money into. Which brought them A TON of money, too.
Plus, the assumption that only the active players will be willing to buy expansions is beyond ridiculous. It's not indicative of anything for a game like Cyberpunk 2077.

Definitely. It would be suicidal to abandon the product they've invested so much time and money into. Which brought them A TON of money, too.
Plus, the assumption that only the active players will be willing to buy expansions is beyond ridiculous. It's not indicative of anything for a game like Cyberpunk 2077.
Take me as an example. I'm not playing at the moment, but i'll almost surely buy CP expansions. The fact you aren't playing a game for a year straight doesn't mean you didn't like it.

Guest 3847602

Take me as an example. I'm not playing at the moment, but i'll almost surely buy CP expansions.
Same, my last playthrough was finished on June 3.
The fact you aren't playing a game for a year straight doesn't mean you didn't like it.
Yeah, the game has mostly positive user reviews (76%) on steam, the same platform where it lost 99% of players, so the "boycott theory" doesn't really hold water.

Top Bottom