Cyberpunk is retrofuturistic

+
Cyberpunk is retrofuturistic

its the future envisioned in the 80s, it has that 80s electrosound and Blade Runner aesthetics, and most important of all its dirty.

The trailer was too contemporary futuristic i thought and too clean like star trek and mass effect.

what do you guys think? you like the super modern or you want the retro look?

Retro.

I think the trailer isn't enough to go on. The devs have said it will be dirty, e.g. the city will be old & new, the trailer looked all new. early days.

its the future envisioned in the 80s, it has that 80s electrosound and Blade Runner aesthetics, and most important of all its dirty.

The trailer was too contemporary futuristic i thought and too clean like star trek and mass effect.

Believe me when i say some parts of Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be very dirty, yet not every part of a city can be dirty.. I imagine in Night City, places where the rich people live&hang out going to be extremely clean. But any other place, (mostly the ground level) going to be dirty..

The trailer was a scene from the original sourcebook. I imagine the game will have everything described in the book and background. Clean rich areas, dirty low class areas, and everything in between.

Just like 80s are retro for us in 2013, 2013 will be very retro in 2077.

With that in mind I expect references to our modern times as being "retro" in terms of fashion, music, culture, society in general.

And even further apart. 2077 to now is as 1950 is to us. Just post world war 2, the setting for games like LA Noire and Bioshock.

The 1980s to 2077 is nearly 100 years, our perspective on the Titanic and the era just before World War One.

So they could really do anything, fashion and style wise. All bets are off.

Also recall that in the 2020 Timeline which they have claimed to be following, the U.S. endures a major Collapse and bankruptcy, dramatically changing their future from ours. This will surely affect how the world of 2077 is formed.

AAlso recall that in the 2020 Timeline which they have claimed to be following, the U.S. endures a major Collapse and bankruptcy, dramatically changing their future from ours.

I don't think a bankruptcy of the U.S. and multiple other countries is so unlikely nowadays. All countries today are built on billions and billions of debts.

We willse what will happen in the upcoming years.

I personally think 80's fashion was the hangover from the drug fueled 70's. it would explain much. But at least it was fun. I would give the Gunge look a severe miss as it's all sorts of meh

I remember the developers mentioning that CP2077 was not meant to be retrofuturistic, so that might explain a perceived lack of 80's look in the trailer. That being said, there actually is quite a bit of 80's influence in there, not to mention the direct Blade Runner look. But I'd agree if you are talking about the fashion of the woman, and the dress and weapons of the police forces - all are contemporary visions.

If it were up to me, I'd have CP2077 be a retrofuturistic vision, but hey, I'm not putting an ounce of my energy into making the game.

Personally, I believe the aesthetic of cyberpunk is deeply rooted in an era (80s and 90s) where networking technology became its own force, but remained bulky and immature. In the current age we are fast approaching/have already achieved technology that is so integrated into our lives that it's becoming imperceptible, or at least highly streamlined. Whether or not cyberpunk as a genre is retro-futuristic is debatable (I think it might be), but aesthetically it certainly is.

I feel that a retrofuturistic look would just be confusing for a game set in 2077. However, just like in the trailer, where there were many dark places but some neon highlights many of us can attribute to the 80's, they can pretty much do what they want. Things will be built on top of older things, giving that look of a city that was built on top of itself. The act of active, conscious retrofitting in the world building will capture a piece of everything before 2077 in 2077, somehow or another, but there's no reason to emphasize the 80's. I will be so pissed if everyone is walking around in hi tops, Hawaiian shirts and acid washed jeans! It would make it pretty hard to take the game seriously.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that 2077 was not going to have the same styling as 2020, and that it will not be retro. I believe the overall idea is to do 2077 in the same manner as 2020 was; making a believable future based on present and expected cultural and fashionable trends.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that 2077 was not going to have the same styling as 2020, and that it will not be retro. I believe the overall idea is to do 2077 in the same manner as 2020 was; making a believable future based on present and expected cultural and fashionable trends.

you are right

Is 2077 going to be in the same timeline as 2020? Or is it going to be based off real life?

Like did the stuff that happened in the 2020 timeline in the 2000s happen in the 2077 timeline, or is everything moved up?

They haven't been too specific, other than certain events such as the 4th Corporate War happened, the tech will be updated and the game date is 2077 so as to give us that Future Shock feeling that you got reading CP2020 back in 1992.

Is 2077 going to be in the same timeline as 2020? Or is it going to be based off real life?

Like did the stuff that happened in the 2020 timeline in the 2000s happen in the 2077 timeline, or is everything moved up?

In the announcement videos on YouTube, Mike explained that the 2020 will be advanced to 2077.

If it wasn't, it just wouldn't be the same game.

Edit:
Sard put it much better than I did.

Top Bottom