Cyberpunk Levels & Character Progression Systems

+
RE levels - as I've said elsewhere I think it largely depends on how many levels above or below each other characters need to be before it feels lopsided. NPCs or PCs can feel overpowered whether via skillpoints or levels. Trying to keep it from being too jarring is the key.

Which unfortunately makes the thesis “CP2077 is Witcher 3 with a cyberpunk skin” (at least gameplay mechanics-wise) all the more real.
Which was my biggest fear.
So if I got this correctly...
I play the game for a couple of days and reach level 20, then I can come back to Watson and kill a random Maelstrom ganger with a single bullet...
but if I happen to be in Santo Domingo I might need to empty the whole mag to kill a random Valentino's gang member because this is one of the districts where some of the later stages of our main story will take place?
Can't say 100%, but 99.9% yes, that will be the case. TW3 example wasn't used randomly.
I wonder how extreme weather effects will impact some gameplay aspects, if at all.
My 2 cents: 0%, not even driving physics as in GTA.
That being said, I wish some of those boundaries don't end up feeling too forced. For instance, if a district like Westbrook is initially out of reach for low level players, I hope it's not because of some bull**** reasons, like having all of its land bridges and tunnels conveniently under repair at the start of the game.
they said it's like TW3: you can go pretty much everywhere from the beginning (after the tutorialprologue), just need to behave and don't touch anything or some high level bullet sponge will kill you with 1 hit. Remeber when as a kid your parents told you not to touch anything in stores? Same here.

No. They can still miss by hitting stuff between the smart gun and the target. It just helps those players who dont like twitch combat. I actually thought it looked pretty cool in the demo.

Problem is it seems that people who dislike twitch combat also dislike having their character stats ignored, and smart gun just do that: ignore V stats.
So in the end someone wanting to play a good marksman V have to choose between either missing theie shot constantly because the game doesn't care enough about their stats or using a gun which ignore their stats totally (so wasted stats).

I don't know why they choosed that way where there is a lots of way to make (optional) non twitchy combat: Fallout VATS, Mass Effect active pause where you can aim, Target lock + character based shooting, etcs...
Post automatically merged:

I wonder how twitch we are talking about. I hope they stay at Quake and stay away from APB. Quake PVE sounds fun to me at least. Too many cover-based game in game industry.

Cyberpunk 2020 is cover based.

I don't really see an issue with levels. Old Gothic did it exceptionally well for example. If you tried to take on an orc in Chapter 1 you would've gotten one-shot and taught a good lesson. As you progressed and became better, you could eventually one-shoot the orc back.
TW3 was... flawed in that field, yes, but I don't see why CDPR couldn't improve upon it and make it truly great. The idea was 100% there, execution was lacking IMO. Most important thing is to not go the easy way and simply attach a level to a more powerful enemy. If they're impossible to take on early in the game, make them LOOK like it.
And for god's sake don't magically increase enemies stats because they're over the level threshold.

1. The dialogue system wouldn't work the same in TPP, due to how it was designed (like the options being displayed when you look at the specific person or people reacting to where are you looking at), and with the option of walking around during it, it would also look really wonky in third person.
2. He means that as "pulling the gun right in the middle of conversation", which is possible, because the game maintains consistent perspective. If the game would instead switch from third to first person during moment like, it wouldn't be nearly as seamless.

No, he means optional third person perspective when riding a motorbike.

Yes, for the arms, you can see that at the new gameplay teaser. As for the color, I don't know. Plus you can also see the outfit and body of the character in-game.

There are plenty of improvements and changes regarding the gameplay in comparison to The Witcher 3, you're just overly focused on levelling system to such a point you refuse to acknowledge them.
Pretty sure this game got witcher type gameplay elements combined with deus ex elements means more freedom to accomplish things(Reference to the first title)

I don't really see an issue with levels. Old Gothic did it exceptionally well for example. If you tried to take on an orc in Chapter 1 you would've gotten one-shot and taught a good lesson. As you progressed and became better, you could eventually one-shoot the orc back.
TW3 was... flawed in that field, yes, but I don't see why CDPR couldn't improve upon it and make it truly great. The idea was 100% there, execution was lacking IMO. Most important thing is to not go the easy way and simply attach a level to a more powerful enemy. If they're impossible to take on early in the game, make them LOOK like it.
And for god's sake don't magically increase enemies stats because they're over the level threshold.
Why?You also get one shoted in the witcher especially on death march and on a higher level you defeat every enemie very easily

Problem is it seems that people who dislike twitch combat also dislike having their character stats ignored, and smart gun just do that: ignore V stats.
It minimally impacts stats. The only one that is slightly less useful is cool. You mean skills. And also, all people who dislike twitch also dislike skills ignored? Seems a pretty broad brush to paint with there. And literally it only effects aim based shooting mechanics. I'm sure the skills still effects reload speed and such.
So in the end someone wanting to play a good marksman V have to choose between either missing theie shot constantly because the game doesn't care enough about their stats or using a gun which ignore their stats totally (so wasted stats).
The horror.

Last edited:
Old Gothic did it exceptionally well for example. If you tried to take on an orc in Chapter 1 you would've gotten one-shot and taught a good lesson.

The problem with Gothic is that if you’re good enough, you can beat the game armorless and with the starting weapon. But if you’re not up to it, no amount of levelups will help you.

It’s a sort of recurring problem with action RPG’s, to which, without significant design changes, there’s only artificial solutions (like going waaaay overboard with high level enemy HP and resistance scaling, like Witcher 3 did).

Given the (near) total lack of RPG features (dialog options and levels are NOT "RPG features" they're game mechanics) I can't say as I see anything "catering to RPG players" in CP2077.

Well, mechanics are what makes or breaks the RPG in cases like this. The way they are used, that is. I agree that so far things don’t look too promising in that regard...smart guns included (since the autohit thing doesn’t seem to be stat dependant ”auto targeting”).

They did take stats affecting reload speed from Deus Ex, and having ”some” influence on accuracy (to a yet unknown, but likely minuscule, extent). But hat’s so far neither here nor there without anything concrete to back it up.

Skills affecting dialog options is certainly an RPG feature (since it allows you to express your characterbuild), but here too, we do not know to what extent that works. Just saying, since you brought dialog up - dialog options alone aren’t an RPG feature.

The issue is mainly be loyal to the spirit of the source material. Cyberpunk had not levels nor leveled gear everything had stat and skill. Your character improved with the time with learning points and cyberware there was not coloured tier weapons as weapons were designed in a realistic manner. Kind of bullet,type of weapons ecc.

This game for what we can see did something that many fan of the source material would consider blasphemy by forcing a level system there was no need of by introducing coloured tiered gear. Is basically cyberpunk only in visuals and little else and that is the issue.

The game was touted in past to be dedicated to fans cd projekt declared that they are fan of the source materials as well but no fan of the source material would scrap the whole system and spirit to implement things that are not fitting for that universe like they did.

It is like if they were not capable to design an rpg that don't use levels and leave their comfort zone.

The issue is basically that this game in mechanics is far from the source material very far. And what is even worse is that is also far from the premise as why they created it first person only as the old system even a semplified one could had been way more immersive than this gamey setup.

There are plenty of improvements and changes regarding the gameplay in comparison to The Witcher 3, you're just overly focused on levelling system to such a point you refuse to acknowledge them.
that was TW3's main flaw imho, I haven't heard anything about CP which actually tells me "this was a flaw in TW3 and has been fixed":
-Level/progression system works the same way (need to match enemies' levels, +X% DMG perks/skills)
-color coded gear (we don't know yet if/how is gated)
-animations (combat and not) are not particularly good
-During dialogues you can see options you can't perform (in TW3 you could see the axii options even when you didn't satisfy the requirements)

The last 2 flaws I can think of are economy and the fact that main and side quests were not perfectly interconnected ("hurry up, we need to find ciri! Yes, but first, few rounds of gwent? Lemme help that peasant too"), but we don't have any info so far.

Dialogue system has improved/changed, but that was not a flaw in TW3, it worked fine. The new one looks better, but it wasn't a flaw. Cyberware can be a good justification to active skills, but the concept (same as street cred) is ruined by poor design choices (magically unlock perks with perks point).

Last edited:
Pretty sure this game got witcher type gameplay elements combined with deus ex elements means more freedom to accomplish things(Reference to the first title)

Why?You also get one shoted in the witcher especially on death march and on a higher level you defeat every enemie very easily
Yeah it's called progression. The issue TW3 had was, as you said, the game became too easy towards the end. It's all about balance and keeping the challenge consistent without making enemies artificially stronger (look: Skyrim). Whether it's introducing new enemy types (like in the aforementioned Gothic) or high-level areas (although it probably won't be the case looking at how open they advertise CP to be).

I'd imagine it's one of the more challenging areas of game dev. I don't really expect them to get it right 100% but as long as they stray from ridiculous solutions and unimmersive copy-paste enemies with higher levels, I'll be satisfied.

Another annoying think that I hope is out is level-gating missions. In TW3 you wouldn't gain any experience from a mission 6 levels below or above (!!!) Geralts level as far as I remember. Even the suggested level was kind of off-putting to me, it made the game seem more linear with a specific preferred path of progression which in an open world setting is not what you necessarily want.
They seem to have already addressed it with street-cred I just hope it's not simply a re-branding of the same system.

The issue is mainly be loyal to the spirit of the source material. Cyberpunk had not levels nor leveled gear everything had stat and skill. Your character improved with the time with learning points and cyberware there was not coloured tier weapons as weapons were designed in a realistic manner. Kind of bullet,type of weapons ecc.
Colour-tiers are simply a visual representation of rarity created to shorten the time you spend comparing stats. If all items had the same colour of icon and simply displayed stats in the description, would you be satisfied?

And regarding the gamey stuff they put in. Cyberpunk is a game, surprisingly. That means it has its limitations. Yes it would've been cool if 77 followed 2020's systems 1:1 but sometimes that's impossible and/or results in something that doesn't work in this environment (video games). CDPR have a specific vision for the game and Mike Pondsmith seems to be satisfied with that which makes me think they got SOMETHING right after all.

The horror.

You say that, but I don't think anyone trying to play some archetype would like to see his character being ignored by some game equipement?

Marksman V? Ignored by smartguns.
Hacker V? Could be ignored with an auto-hacking tool (far more believable than smartguns actually).
Techie V? Well, we don't know exactly what they do, but I'm sure a good piece of cyberware would do the trick (at least as believable that the cybergrip augmenting damages).

One of the cool thing in building a character is seeing him being able to perform well where he's supposed to. Not being able to do that actually nullify the pleasure of building your character.

Yeah it's called progression. The issue TW3 had was, as you said, the game became too easy towards the end. It's all about balance and keeping the challenge consistent without making enemies artificially stronger (look: Skyrim). Whether it's introducing new enemy types (like in the aforementioned Gothic) or high-level areas (although it probably won't be the case looking at how open they advertise CP to be).

I'd imagine it's one of the more challenging areas of game dev. I don't really expect them to get it right 100% but as long as they stray from ridiculous solutions and unimmersive copy-paste enemies with higher levels, I'll be satisfied.

Another annoying think that I hope is out is level-gating missions. In TW3 you wouldn't gain any experience from a mission 6 levels below or above (!!!) Geralts level as far as I remember. Even the suggested level was kind of off-putting to me, it made the game seem more linear with a specific preferred path of progression which in an open world setting is not what you necessarily want.
They seem to have already addressed it with street-cred I just hope it's not simply a re-branding of the same system.
Yeah i didn’t like that too.Finishing missions for 1xp feels not really rewarding gg I beat the game a few times and started to play on new game plus.As soon as possible i tried to reach the blood and wine area and even there....The enemies are 20+ levels higher than me and the mission xp earnings are still the same^^

If all items had the same colour of icon and simply displayed stats in the description, would you be satisfied?
yes.

but I'd be happy as well if they used better descriptors than "epic/legendary" which don't fit to a cyberpunk setting. IE "cheap/professional/military grade/prototype/unique"

yes.

but I'd be happy as well if they used better descriptors than "epic/legendary" which don't fit to a cyberpunk setting.
I'm sure this is something that can be modded out. If that is your issue then it is a matter of literally an icon and/item description.

I do agree with the epic/legendary issue. Rare/very rare, even "awesome" would have been more fitting

And regarding the gamey stuff they put in. Cyberpunk is a game, surprisingly. That means it has its limitations. Yes it would've been cool if 77 followed 2020's systems 1:1 but sometimes that's impossible and/or results in something that doesn't work in this environment (video games).

You are using Straw Man sophism here.
There is a whole shades of grey possible between what they did and "2020's systems 1:1".

To be blunt, it seemed far more like a story driven action adventure, than an RPG.

Indeed. The first Witcher game had way better progression in that it did not have leveled gear nor leveled enemies.

Colour-tiers are simply a visual representation of rarity created to shorten the time you spend comparing stats. If all items had the same colour of icon and simply displayed stats in the description, would you be satisfied?

I would. But rather how about making all weapons lethal but with certain distinctions, for example shotguns being devastating from up close, rifles being very accurate but having a moderate rate of fire, SMGs with a high rate of fire but very inaccurate. I mean if you’re doing FPS then implement some FPS elements.

Top Bottom