Cyberpunk Locks up PC causing 100% Disk Usage and Corrupted windows

+
Ive been trying to figure out why I was able to log over 230 hours into Cyberpunk and then patches 1.05 or 1.06 come out and suddenly im getting random crashes. Now you know if random crashes were all and it gave an error report and just closed the game I could almost handle that when you compare to what is happening to my PC. So I get no error reports. What i notice a lot of the time is when it crashes the saving icon stays in the top middle of the screen, the sound persists and sometimes the game even allows you to continue "playing" while this icon spins. However the game has crashed and the saves its creating will show up as corrupted later on after you get through the hard crash thats inevitable. Now once this crash occurs which is totally at random mind you, the PC is locked up completely tight. Power button is the only option as NOTHING else works to close Cyberpunk during these crashes. Now as a result of powering down many times with these crashes my windows started to act really wonky and C: started hitting 100% usage with nothing running. I tried windows repair didnt fix it. So i wiped out everything full format and fresh windows 10 install, patched up everything got my drivers and put my pc back into working order. So I decided to test Cyberpunk on a fresh Windows install because what did I have to lose right ? I already was forced to format my PC due to this. So here I go testing Cyberpunk on a fresh windows 10 installation with nothing else even on the PC to potentially slow it down or cause issues. And guess what. The game ran great for a period of time few hours etc, when suddenly at random it crashed locking up my entire PC again. It managed to corrupt a fresh windows installation and start the 100% disk usage on my C: again. Today I have reinstalled a fresh windows 10 installation and patched it all up and drivers etc. I have already tested that Cyberpunk is capable of corrupting and screwing up a windows 10 installation so I will not be reinstalling it on my PC again until I am convinced that CDPR has patched the necessary fixes to stop this from happening. I have reinstalled all sorts of other games on this latest fresh windows 10 install and they all run no problem and dont have any issues with 100% disk Usage. This only occurs after Cyberpunk crashes and locks up my entire operating system.

I've had the same problem you are describing.

The only thing that I've noticed is that lowering any overclock did seem to stabilize the game and allows for a longer session before crashing; but still crashing seems inevitable on the long run. Also moving the game to the non-OS drive did seem to help but eventually I'm getting crashes there too.

I've made two posts on reddit of which the current one is being referred too and I'll post one on the same subject here too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunkgamebugs/comments/kvpuh8

My (fresh & clean) 20H2 W10 got nuked sometime after 1.06 as well, but I'm done troubleshooting for the time being. Might have just been a strange coincidence or failing hardware, but idc anymore about getting things running. Might give Proton a try at some point, as debugging Windows is an exercise in futility.

After thoroughly testing I've found some sort of solution and got an idea what causes the problem.

Basically; the crash is GPU related and to be more precise, it's caused by overworking the GPU atleast once.
After response from CDProjektred I've uninstalled the GPU driver with DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) in windows-safe mode and reinstalled them. Only then the problem seemed gone when using Default GPU memory and clock speeds.

This means that if you get a comparable crash (also seen a gpu memory pool BSOD once), it's wise to thoroughly reinstall the GPU drivers cause it does seem drivers aren't restored properly after getting such an error.

Currently working with a customized gpu bios using an algorithm which tests for stability on multiple frequencies and corresponding powerusage. And the game runs fine now.

Never mind latest post. Apparantly after a new fresh GPU driver install the game crashed again after a mild GPU overclock but this time managed to completely throw out my SSD.
It disappeared from Task Manager and a few seconds later I got a critical hardware failure BSOD.

It now seems my samsung NVME driver got completely corrupted and I'm switching those to fix this error.

CDProjektred needs to build in some resource request limiter when this kind of crash occurs. Because when this type of crash ain't cut off, its capable of corrupting GPU and SSD drivers. It's outrageous.

Absolutely and they have completely ignored my last support ticket regarding this issue. Seems they are just trying to pretend like their poorly written code isnt corrupting peoples OS and literally breaking peoples PC's. It cost me money in repairs after I couldnt figure out how to fix my PC and im pretty good at fixing my PC myself.

After thoroughly testing I've found some sort of solution and got an idea what causes the problem.

Basically; the crash is GPU related and to be more precise, it's caused by overworking the GPU atleast once.
After response from CDProjektred I've uninstalled the GPU driver with DDU (https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html) in windows-safe mode and reinstalled them. Only then the problem seemed gone when using Default GPU memory and clock speeds.

This means that if you get a comparable crash (also seen a gpu memory pool BSOD once), it's wise to thoroughly reinstall the GPU drivers cause it does seem drivers aren't restored properly after getting such an error.

Currently working with a customized gpu bios using an algorithm which tests for stability on multiple frequencies and corresponding powerusage. And the game runs fine now.

Yes, this is why DDU is recommended by Gaming Enthusiasts and IT Professionals. A lot of people dont realize, when they Uninstall a driver the default way through the drivers own installer/uninstaller package, there is files that remain. Especially when you update drivers, that newer package will run a basic uninstall on the core files it detects and most of the ancillary files. So when the new driver is installed, its installed in the same base directory, but lingering files from the older driver(s) are now a conflict of resolution and cause Kernel Crashes, Drive Mode Errors and BSoD's.

Always clean uninstall with DDU. You dont even have to be in Safe Mode to do it, but it does help just in case Windows tries to install its default display driver.

Absolutely and they have completely ignored my last support ticket regarding this issue. Seems they are just trying to pretend like their poorly written code isnt corrupting peoples OS and literally breaking peoples PC's. It cost me money in repairs after I couldnt figure out how to fix my PC and im pretty good at fixing my PC myself.

The developers cannot help you with system faults. You can argue with me as much as you want (which is your prerogative), but the fact remains that a corrupted windows installation is a fault in the system. Most likely a failing HDD or SSD. The fact you were playing CP2077 when it happened is likely due to it stressing the system and exposing the fault to a point where it became obvious.

As buggy as the game is, it does not corrupt windows. Period.

Top Bottom