Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
3.) Make sure you actually have the wattage required +50w for safety overhead or you get brown-outs and under-volting
+50W is not enough. A PSU outputting 90/95% of what it can provides shitty power curves. With +50W, you're not in the stable band.

Make it your real W *1.6 to be clean, or else you'll have weird sinusoïdals.

All mobo have circuits to filter power signals, sure, but still some harmonics passes.

Post automatically merged:

Videocard 2080s, cpu ryzen 1400
Mobo ?

You all report no special beep at reboot, so mobo is the part that fails, to me. If this is the second soundblaster chipset then I'll acuse them.

It's not normal that your computers works with other games and not this one : between 2 3D games, there is too few change in W so that you never experienced this before. This shouldn't be PSU, to me.

If this is a soundblaster chipset, then the problem should be on CDPR's side.

Last edited:
Just because something seems off and out of place, doesn't mean that can't be true. There's definitely something wrong with the game, while we have completely different PCs and we're all having the same problem, again, just with CP77. Doesn't that make you scratch your head just a bit? Everyone already thought it was a PSU problem.

People seem to be very keen on saying this is a hardware issue, despite the fact it happens across multiple setups, overclocked or stock, and only happens on certain situations in the game such as certain missions.

To go into a little more detail
Things I've tried:
Reinstalling the game
Installing to a different drive
Reinstalling gpu driver
Reinstalling the entire OS onto a new drive
Overclocking
Underclocking
Different monitor
Different port on gpu
Different graphic settings (RTX off does make the crashes less often)
Checking all power connections in the pc

Also, just to add, I do work in a huge data centre repairing and troubleshooting machines for a living and this doesn't look like a hardware fault to me

People seem to be very keen on saying this is a hardware issue, despite the fact it happens across multiple setups, overclocked or stock, and only happens on certain situations in the game such as certain missions.

To go into a little more detail
Things I've tried:
Reinstalling the game
Installing to a different drive
Reinstalling gpu driver
Reinstalling the entire OS onto a new drive
Overclocking
Underclocking
Different monitor
Different port on gpu
Different graphic settings (RTX off does make the crashes less often)
Checking all power connections in the pc

Also, just to add, I do work in a huge data centre repairing and troubleshooting machines for a living and this doesn't look like a hardware fault to me
Does that mean you can reproduce your crashes reliably (what an ironic statement)?

Does that mean you can reproduce your crashes reliably (what an ironic statement)?
Not exactly, but I have noticed that when the game decides to crash, say during a mission, it will ALWAYS crash for me at the same point, but if I leave the mission and do another it seems to play fine for a while.
Crashes I've noticed so far have all been at the same points like getting into a certain vehicle, a certain elevator or driving down a particular street, but doing something differently does not result in a crash

I wouldn't call it exactly "reliable" but its the best I've found

Ziffa

Forum regular
+50W is not enough. A PSU outputting 90/95% of what it can provides shitty power curves. With +50W, you're not in the stable band.

Make it your real W *1.6 to be clean, or else you'll have weird sinusoïdals.

All mobo have circuits to filter power signals, sure, but still some harmonics passes.

Mobo ?

You all report no special beep at reboot, so mobo is the part that fails, to me. If this is the second soundblaster chipset then I'll acuse them.

It's not normal that your computers works with other games and not this one : between 2 3D games, there is too few change in W so that you never experienced this before. This shouldn't be PSU, to me.

If this is a soundblaster chipset, then the problem should be on CDPR's side.
not everyone has speaker installed, i think they don't came with motherboard anymore, some hight quality mb cames with a display for errors on boot.

Mate, I made PC's, laptops and servers for a living at one of the worlds top manufacturers and I am qualified in the field. You have a power fault, simple as that. Games cannot and will not make a system completely shutdown. Only system faults can do that. Since you have zero error logs, or error reports it can only be a shutdown due to an issue with power cycling (we can categorically rule out memory and software if there are zero logs).

1.) Monitor all temperatures, and perform a "touch" test on the psu exterior to check for overheating. Triple check wiring also.
2.) If you have an OC of any kind, remove it. No matter how "stable" you think it is, set your CPU and its voltages to default
3.) Make sure you actually have the wattage required +50w for safety overhead or you get brown-outs and under-volting
4.) If #1 #2 and #3 are of no help, next step is replacing the PSU. It has reached its EoL.
5.) If you replace the PSU and it STILL has shutdowns, you are SoL my friend as you have a major fault with either the board or the CPU.

In cases of #5 you would need a multi-meter to check the board.

I am willing to bet you the princely sum of 1 Eurodollar that it is a thermal diode failure in the PSU. Since the PSU internal temps are never measured by the system a user has no idea it has blown until it starts shutting down under load. This is in my experience the #1 failure for PSU's as its a safety feature to stop a runaway PSU catching fire.

No offence intended to you or others posting. Simply getting to the point.

I couldn't care less about your titles. I've seen countless useless "qualified" professionals in this area. Not saying you're one, but that doesn't mean much to me, honestly. But I'll try to answer your points:

1) All temps are ok, no overheating. Wires are fine.
2) Once more... I've already told that I don't have any OC.
3) There's plenty.
4) It's almost brand new but yeah, I don't have another PSU to test it now, but will consider it.
5) So 1 single game is letting me know "hey, your PC is broken. Sorry"? Even if I run other heavy titles without a problem? So CP77 appeared from nothing just to say that? And everything else must be ignored? The whole pc must be blamed because of a single game?

Indeed, I had a similar problem with my old PSU and borrowed this one that's better and newer than mine. Working flawlessly, except with CP77. I honestly would like to bet it's something like that too, but this PSU is not old and didn't show any sign of being faulty so far. I'm willing to get my hands on another one and test it, but multiple users have ALREADY reported testing multiple PSUs and the result was the same.

I'm honestly finding it hard to believe that I have to tell the same thing multiple times because most aren't actually reading carefully what has been posted here before. I appreciate the effort but... It's more of the same.

It is more of the same because it is the correct advice. We are reading the thread, the fact is you are ignoring the advice given because you are unwilling to listen and instead are taking other peoples anecdotes as facts. And yes I actually am properly qualified and certified at a national level with over 20 years experience manufacturing, testing and repairing electronics. Ignore that if you want but its the truth.

@5 YES.

This is extremely common, but people are always completely unwilling to accept they have a hardware fault precisely because a game shows it. They instead blame the title, when all the title is doing is finding a fault due to it pushing the system above what other games do and exposing a flaw. This has happened for 20+ years, it is not something new.

Again it is completely irrelevant if some other people say they "have the same issue". Because they do not. They do not have your PC or even the same hardware because no two PC are identical even with the exact same parts.

+50w for the card is fine. If the GPU recommends 500w, it already has overhead added. An addition +50w ensures the overhead is sufficient to keep the system from taxing the PSU to excess.

It is more of the same because it is the correct advice. We are reading the thread, the fact is you are ignoring the advice given because you are unwilling to listen and instead are taking other peoples anecdotes as facts. And yes I actually am properly qualified and certified at a national level with over 20 years experience manufacturing, testing and repairing electronics. Ignore that if you want but its the truth.

@5 YES.

This is extremely common, but people are always completely unwilling to accept they have a hardware fault precisely because a game shows it. They instead blame the title, when all the title is doing is finding a fault due to it pushing the system above what other games do and exposing a flaw. This has happened for 20+ years, it is not something new.

Again it is completely irrelevant if some other people say they "have the same issue". Because they do not. They do not have your PC or even the same hardware because no two PC are identical even with the exact same parts.

All we did was to test what other people have already said, here and in other places like Reddit, and you just repeated most of them, that's it. If you actually read the first post and the others I did, you'd know the temps are already ok and that I've already said there's no OC. How can I care about your titles if you don't even read the whole thing? That's the point.

I'd prefer to pick someone else that can read and evaluate what's already on the table than someone with 20+ years of experience that can't actually inform himself about something that's explicitly shown in the thread by multiple users. That's what we're seeking here, not just repetitions from someone who claims to know what he's doing. Drop the mask already.

If people are trying to solve the issue without changing hardware, that could be because some don't have the money to do it and simply wanna try to solve it without costing them anything. Is there something wrong with it? "It's common so it's true"? Come on, you're better than that.
And I completely understand it can possibly show some flaws with the hardware(even though it's ALSO already reported that the game doesn't push the PC to the limits like other games), but then explain to me how brand new PCs (with top specs, way better than mine) are getting it. Explain how we've tried everything you just said and nothing seems to match exactly what you say. If you have anything to explain these, then we can try to go somewhere afterwards, because everything you said was already discussed.

We're trying to get past what you're repeating. You'd know if you read it. T h a t ' s t h e p o i n t.
I already gave my answer to your suggestions. Do you have anything NEW to add?

I mentioned OC and temps because that is the standard checklist. It is is for the benefit of other people reading the thread, not just you.

Yes new hardware can be flawed. I just bought a new GPU before Christmas and its DOA. I am now waiting on another card, with the previous one on return. New does not mean flawless, nor does it even mean working properly. I have seen hundreds of thousands of systems come back to be repaired and refurbished due to manufacturing flaws. It is extremely common. Like the time one shift didnt bother to scan the parts properly and my shift had to replace over 20,000 laptops with german keyboards, that we destined for Italy, that had french OS language.

For a start a pre-built PC almost never has a quality PSU added with enough wattage to power the system long term. In point of fact most pre-built systems come with cheapskate PSU that are not even bronze rated. Secondly people who make their own first few systems for themselves invariably overlook PSU quality and wattage requirements.

And again just because someone else has said "I have the same problem", does not make it true. The post directly after mines previously even shows so, stating the same issue as you but it is not. They have a shutdown and restart due to a BSOD event. So that chap is not even in the correct thread.

There is no "mask" here mate. What other people are offering you is confirmation bias. They told you "its the game" and you believe them because you want to believe them.

Facts are facts. PC's do not shutdown and go cold from running software unless there is a hardware flaw. Software flaws cause crashes, restarts and errors. Total shutdowns are hardware faults.

At this point Its clear you are just playing lip-service to any real advice. So enjoy having a busted PC, because I am out. I am off to play CP2077.

+50w for the card is fine. If the GPU recommends 500w, it already has overhead added. An addition +50w ensures the overhead is sufficient to keep the system from taxing the PSU to excess.
wat ? lol !

GPU + 50W............................. + HDD (15W) + CPU (50-100W) + Mobo (20W) + fans, anyone ?

Are you a real professional ?

cheapskate PSU that are not even bronze rated
bronze/silver/gold/platinum PSU have nothing to do with reliability. It have to do with yields.

Any electromechanical ingeneer can create a PSU that would get bronze yields but could last 2 days. The only question for him would be to pay to have that certification or not.

Facts are facts. PC's do not shutdown and go cold from running software unless there is a hardware flaw. Software flaws cause crashes, restarts and errors. Total shutdowns are hardware faults.
"- hello, I am a game, I want that hardware
‎- OS : not available
- Game : gimme gimme
- Game : gimme gimme gimme gigimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme gimme
- OS : not available not available not available not avai.... interupt stack overflow, lost ram
- BIOS : hi, new kid in the block, let's boot !".

I want to know their mobo to compare if they all have that exotic sound chipset or if they would have a chipset that they have in common.

AND BY THE WAY : anyone could program a software that would make you reboot. You already experienced it when updating crucial drivers. Otherwise, press Win+R, type shutdown /r and discover a "new" thing.

Last edited:
wat ? lol !

GPU + 50W............................. + HDD (15W) + CPU (50-100W) + Mobo (20W) + fans, anyone ?

Are you a real professional ?

Stop putting words in my mouth. You are clearly not a native English speaker. I specifically said the cards recommended wattage, which includes the basic standard PC hardware. IE a card stating a recommended 500w supply does not need 500w on its own. It is a system total including the card, plus an overhead to ensure load compliance (on average 10% overhead).

I did not say the cards wattage draw, which is what you are trying to use as a basis to attack me.

In point of fact my current Rx580 only draws 132w at max load. But its recommended wattage is 500w as a minimum, 550w preferred. I have a 600w supply. I have more than enough overhead, clean rails and stable amperage. Which is as I said +50w to the cards recommended supply wattage.

I want to know their mobo to compare if they all have that exotic sound chipset or if they would have a chipset that they have in common.

Indeed. A fair question. Some chipsets may simply be "unfriendly" with some devices, memory modules, HDD or SSD etc. Finding a common denominator in the hardware would be extremely useful. However this has become much less common as an issue. Imo the user I was referring to specifically has a power fault, which I would attribute to a PSU problem rather than a regulator or similar issue on the mobo. Motherboards and BIOS software these days are very robust, much more than in the days of Win98 / XP and much less prone to this kind of error.

AND BY THE WAY : anyone could program a software that would make you reboot. You already experienced it when updating crucial drivers. Otherwise, press Win+R, type shutdown /r and discover a "new" thing.

Again read what I said and stop being so antagonistic. I said cold with no errors, not a reboot. A reboot is what windows does in the event of an error, in many cases bypassing the BSOD screen to restart the OS. A system going cold, means its in full shutdown. It has power cycled and turned off. You are deliberately taking things I am saying out of context to nit-pick.

Last edited:
nothing helps
  • bios updated to fresh version
  • chipset drivers installed
  • xmp tested in both modes off\on
  • no OC
  • system files checked
  • driver removed by ddu and installed clean one from geforce experience (latest)
  • memory check is ok
  • aida64 - 10 minutes stress test works stable
  • ungine haven passed with average ~100 fps

after i removed "reboot after faiure" system stop going to reboot, but just freezed in blackscreen, and sound after 5 sec freezed in noize.
    no bsod and dump created, but it configurated to make crash dump.
    so it looks like gpu driver level problem or something like that

so last thing can be is a psu is coming to end)
    but as i saw some guys have problem even after change psu

The question is - why system have no problem in other games\tests
    some corporate black ice is trying to kill me from cyberpunk 2077?)

Last edited:
nothing helps
  • bios updated to fresh version
  • chipset drivers installed
  • xmp tested in both modes off\on
  • no OC
  • system files checked
  • driver removed by ddu and installed clean one from geforce experience (latest)
  • memory check is ok
  • aida64 - 10 minutes stress test works stable
  • ungine haven passed with average ~100 fps

so last thing can be is a psu is coming to end)
    but as i saw some guys have problem even after change psu

The question is - why system have no problem in other games\tests
    some corporate black ice trying kill me from cyberpunk 2077?)

The exact same thing happened when Crysis first game out. It taxed PC hardware and a major chunk of the players computers just fell over (mines included). I ended up replacing memory, graphics card and PSU at the time, just to get stable frame rates and not have my system just stop dead or BSOD, or corrupt data on the HDD.

Now Crysis has been "remastered", because its so out of date.

As I said earlier, try doing a touch test on the PSU casing. If it is even slightly hot, its a definite possibility. PSU temps & voltages are almost never measured, so there is no real indicator of it getting hot or having issues until it shuts down. I would also check your motherboard vendors list of compatible memory modules and such. There may be some information regarding specific issues.

I said cold with no errors, not a reboot.
They reboot, not simply shutdown.

What they experience is they play the game, and at a defined moment the system shutdown and reboot.

Ok for the other points.

To others for the 3rd of 4th time :
GIVE US THE NAMES OF YOUR MOBO, PLEASE

Help us to help you.

Last edited:
Hope this help. See page 2 for fixes.

and

Last edited:
I've been getting this continually since day 1. As soon as I went into a BD with Judy after saving Evelyn Parker it would restart my PC. This happened at various other places too. I tried everything from drivers to PSU changing and nothing would help. I have since changed my resolution from 1440 to 1080 and so far no crashes. Even managed to get past the BD with Judy.

i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?
this game is HIGLY CPU intensive... holy hell how the hell are you playing this game? even my i7 3770k stuggles with raytracing on of course but with it off game is fine. STILL

i9, 32gig, 2800Super, m2 SSD, 650w gold rated psu. Running 1080p 144hz.

I get hard reset after about 20 minutes if ray tracing is on. If I turn it off, the game never crashes. I even tested this by just standing still while npc's walked passed me on the street. I let the game sit there, no menu or anything and it hard reset the PC as if I pushed the reset button on the motherboard.

(Side note: When the game first came out, it would not hard reset when ray tracing was on. Rather, it would crash and cyberpunk would say something like the game flatlined. Then you hit report and the game would shut down, but it would not restart the PC. Now it restarts the PC.

However...

The game used to crash after only 2 to 30 seconds with ray tracing on. Then I opened my PC, unplugged the power cables to the card, and the same plugs to the psu. It is fully modular. That now made it so I can run the game for 20 minutes with ray tracing.

I have a new PSU 750w coming to see if that fixes the issue.

I ran the Heaven test and passed, but the lowest fps has me concerned.

Attachments

• Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
this game is HIGLY CPU intensive... holy hell how the hell are you playing this game? even my i7 3770k stuggles with raytracing on of course but with it off game is fine. STILL
i5-4690k is a pretty decent CPU. IIRC the usage was between 50~70% at all times. It didn't struggle to run the game. Had some FPS drops by looking at some specific lights but... Other than that, it was running pretty fine.

It would be sad if I couldn't get past the same lights and same scene and same moment because the PC restarts.

Top Bottom