Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)
Post automatically merged:

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?

Last edited:
All the same here.

Have an AMD Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, GTX 1660 Super GPU, and 16GB RAM. All within the recommended specs. But, yeah, after about 20 minutes the computer just hard powers down. No temp spike or anything.

My other genre is Flight Simulation, which is infinitely harder on systems than any FPS/RPG on the market today. Consistent bouncing is a sign of of either a bad/insufficient PSU or OC'ing. More rare would be bad RAM.

Do you have a power meter? How much powerade you drawing vs the size of your PSU?

What you described are typical problems of drawing to much power. Especially in graphically demanding areas and your GPU drawing more power. Hence the reason it's not restarting at a constant rate, only in graphically demanding areas.

I used to have same problem. Got a larger power supply and problem went away.

Either that or your components are getting to hot in demanding areas and you computer shuts down out of panic to lower it's temperature over typical thermal throttling when lowering clock speeds stops lowering temperatures

Also if you have lose or damaged cables you could have a short circuit created when for example you put bump your pc a certain away slightly moving things around causing a short

Do you have a power meter? How much powerade you drawing vs the size of your PSU?

What you described are typical problems of drawing to much power. Especially in graphically demanding areas and your GPU drawing more power. Hence the reason it's not restarting at a constant rate, only in graphically demanding areas.

I used to have same problem. Got a larger power supply and problem went away.

Either that or your components are getting to hot in demanding areas and you computer shuts down out of panic to lower it's temperature over typical thermal throttling when lowering clock speeds stops lowering temperatures

Also if you have lose or damaged cables you could have a short circuit created when for example you put bump your pc a certain away slightly moving things around causing a short

Don't know if you actually read the post but... Temps and usage are ok, as mentioned before. It's exactly what's happening to all of the players I spoke to that had the same problem. Some even tested new and better PSUs and got the same problem, as also mentioned in the post.

I guess everything else is already answered in the post. I'm still trying to get my hands on another PSU but I'm still hopeless as some other users have tried the same without success. There's something off here because the setups are all different and no one has spotted a common point between setups to try to eliminate the possibilities. The problem just exists and we don't understand why, even after troubleshooting all PSU and hardware problems in general.

I have had zero issues with this game restarting my PC. It hasn't happened once and I got over 30 hours in on the game.
I think it's an issue with your hardware, there's not wide complaints about this game restarting PCs.
I would say try using a power meter to see how much power your actually using.
There's a wide range of power draws.
My PC draws over 850 W at start up, but in idle draws less than 200 W
In some graphical demanding situations and CPU intensive, I get close up to that 850 W number
I also had a loose cable once, and I shorted out my computer causing a hard shutdown.

How large is your power supply?
If your getting another one, I would get a really large one, so you don't have to get another one for years and years.
At least 1000 W
With GPUs increasing in power draw, we now have components that draw more than 300 W for a single component.
I remember when I first bought a prebuilt PC, before I started building my own, and it came with a 300 W power supply
And now we have single components that draw more than that.

I'm having the same issue with an 8700k and RTX 3080; completely random when it decides to hard reset my pc. I have been monitoring with hwinfo and it's not related to a power draw spike or anything either...

Im having the same exact issue since Day 1.
My RIG:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
GPU: Powercolor Radeon 5700XT Red Devil 8GB
Memory 32GB
PSU: 650Watt Gold

First I thought it was maybe my PC had a bad part but I benchmarked everything and its only Cyberpunk were my PC restart out of nowhere after some gameplay.
Temps are fine
CPU: 60°C
GPU: 72°C
And its not the PSU my total powerdraw is max. 420Watts.

I read somewhere that its maybe a Powersurge and Motherboard Issue and
turning off Voltage Regulations (or Anti-Surge) maybe helps but Im not risking it for this game.
They really need to fix that up.

Same here. Running on Ryzen 5 3600, RTX 2070, 16 gig RAM. I played the game without problems for hours, in fact the issue only started happening in the very last mission. My PC restarted 3 times from the time you enter Embers and up until the end. And now I can't go back to play more cause it restarts every 20 minutes. I had a period of about 3 hours where it worked fine after the PC hotfix then is started doing it every 20 minutes again, so it's hard to believe it's a hardware issue.

i5-4690k / 16GB RAM 1866 / 5700 XT / CX 750w

Not sure if this was posted before as I just saw few people on Reddit having the same problem and couldn't find anything here. Sorry if it's duplicated.

As the title says, Cyberpunk 2077 is making my PC restart every time I try to play it. I'll list what I've checked so far:

- Temps OK
- Usage OK (no struggling while running it at all, just few drops in FPS when looking at some specific lights)
- Stress tested everything, not a single restart.
- All programs closed EXCEPT some security software I need to be running all time (but doesn't seem to flag anything)
- Some suggested limiting CPU usage in the Power Plan Settings, didn't work.
- Some suggested installing on the SSD. Already was.
- Event-Viewer... Getting Kernel-Power ID 41 and it seems that everybody relates that to PSU problems. Another player with the same issue tested 3 different PSUs, 2 of them brand new. Same problem.
- Reinstalling, verifying files...

Don't know what else to do at this point. No other game does this and I've seen worse temps/usage while gaming. Anyone else has any suggestion?

(also just found out that "RTX" config is set to "true" in "bumperSettings.json" under "Cyberpunk 2077\r6\config" even though I don't have RTX. Does that changes anything?)
Post automatically merged:

Just tested some configuration on "memory_pool_budgets.csv" as it was shown on Reddit that it could improve the performance and it actually does... For the less than 5 minutes I get to play until the PC restarts. Nothing changed until now.

Anyone else? Please?

The computer randomly restarting itself can happen due to faulty RAM, like a single RAM location being permanently stuck to 1 or 0. It's a very tricky issue to diagnose because that ram location gets used for all kinds of things, so a lot of the times the faulty location is either being used for something where the flaw makes no difference, and half the time the value it's stuck on is the correct value for what's in it. Games that use a lot of your RAM are the most likely to create a situation where that flaw becomes critical though, because the more data goes through that location the more likely it's something that causes a restart.

I don't know if that's what's causing the issues people are seeing, but it might be something worth looking into. I had this problem for months on an old computer and it drove me nuts. The thing was acting like it was haunted or something because I simply couldn't nail down what was causing the restarts. Certain games seemed to cause it the worst, but I just couldn't figure it out until someone gave me this piece of advice I'm sharing here about a possible cause of seemingly random restarts.

Corsair CX series isn't the best,Corsair AX,HX,and RM/X are far better ,and this game is stressful in general. If your overclocking anything stop it right away,run all parts stock clocks.Run Memtest86 on your ram,what your describing often shows up with bad power supply,overclocking,and or bad ram

I have the same issue. All my games have no issues. Cyberpunk 2077 has zero issues either even if I play HOURS on end! BUT....! Once I close the game, within 1 to 2 minutes I'm getting a BSOD and my PC restarts itself.

Another guy on Bluesnews' forum has the exact same issue.

I wouldn't stress too much that this is our hardware. Too much coincidence. Too weird an issue.

CDPR has to look into this because CP77 or the GOG launcher is doing *something* after shutting down the game that causes our rigs to reboot. Look into it with NVIDIA, CDPR.

EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA here.

Thanks for these advices but for me neither of these things helps.
My Current Ram is 32GB Crucial Ballistrix Stock Value 3200 Memtest 0 Errors 12 Hours looped -> Crash at Cyberpunk / 3D Mark, Furmark and tested Red Dead 2 for hours everything is Stable.
Normaly I overclock my Ram to 3600Mhz with tighter pings Memtest 0 Errors -> Same crash at Cyberpunk everything is else is Stable
I tested my old RAM Kit 16GB at Stock Value 2600Mhz -> Crash at Cyberpunk everything else Stable.

Seriously this is no Hardware Issue some Reddit Post have the same problems they even changed the PSU and GPU and they even hat random restarts.

Guest 4478408

issues like this can be a pain in the ass to troubleshoot. i even read in a very renown computer magazine they could not fix a simmilar issue.

HOWEVER: its NOT the game. an application just can not hard reset windows 10. neither can an application trigger a bsod on a stable system. if you get these issues, there is something wrong with the system - either hardware or low level drivers (though these drivers usually are certified and microsoft claims these can not crash a system).

only way to troubleshoot this was to swap out one component after another and see if the problem persists. but of course, most of us do not have multiple motherboards, gpu, psu and memory sticks laying around just for the case something needs testing.

its also worth a shot to see if there are driver updates for your chipset.

if its the hardware, at least there are more and less likely reasons. indeed the psu and heat levels is what i would test first, but its also possible that thermal expansion triggers loss of conductivity or a short circuit somewhere.

i whish you good luck finding your issue. i doubt its one that can be fixed remotely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4478408

Microsoft is releasing regular updates for a reason.

of course you are right. i missed to mention the possibility that windows itself is broken. hower, i seriously doubt this is the reason here. also, av software has to manipulate the system on a much lower level then games.

Top Bottom