Cyberpunk restarting PC

+
Apparently the witcher 3 suffered the same issues, at least in the beginning.
I played around 40 hours of cyberpunk 2077 with no issues (besides the non game breaking bugs) but all of a sudden I can't play the game anymore. It started from before 1.05 and 1.05 just made it infinitely worse.
The game just crashes the whole pc after 5 to 30 minutes and then either make the entire pc unresponsive to any input or straight up reboots it.
Nothing in event viewer.
Nothing in the logs from the GPU itself.
PSU is fine.
Even though the GPU is fine I tried swapping the PSU but that didn't help either.
Keep in mind that this is the ONLY game that I have the problem with so I doubt that it has anything to do with peoples hardware. ( at least not in terms of faulty hardware, not ruling out some combination of tech that the game can't handle for some esoteric reason. )
It got me spooked to the point I don't play the game anymore in case this game causes any permanent damage.
I can play flight sim, outer worlds and every VR game I have and the pc doesn't break a sweat.
But Cyberpunk just really wants to flatline my pc for some reason.

Too bad really... I was having fun

Try Furmark.
They say it's a "power virus" but IMHO it's a good way to stress test GPU to its limits (limits that GPU should handle).
I had a similar case once in a different game. Forcibly declocking GPU (even in BIOS) so it couldn't go into the highest power level "fixed" that.
In my case, I suspect my core was degraded or GPU vendor used shitty components or designed my card badly.
IMHO if the card cant handle high loads (which it was designed and advertised to be able to do), RMA this sucker.

It's not the machine like people are suggesting. Even if I didn't have any knowledge of computers, simple logic tells me that the only change is installing this game and all other games are fine.

I'm experiencing this issue and I've put the graphics way down to low and it still restarts my pc. No event logs, no BSOD reports, nothing to suggest what's going on except that Cyberpunk was updated.

We just have to wait for CDPR to fix it, please don't go buying PSU's because one game is broken

logic is a certain conclusion deducted from facts. what you apply is not logic but an assumption.
in any case... i guess you just have to be patient. VERY patient.
Let me help you here:
"If a visitor walks in the house with wet hair, it is logical for one to assume that it is raining outside."

If my PC has never crashed before, and only starts to crash when I play Cyberpunk, it is logical to assume that the cause of the crash is Cyberpunk.

Get outta here with your holier than thou attitude

Did you try monitoring your power draw? Both CPU and GPU, you can use MSI Afterburner for that. I had a talk with someone on another forum and he stated that this game made his CPU draw way more power than any other he had palyed before. That could be due to AVX instructions. In any case, you really should check your power draw if you haven't already, PC rebooting under stress is a very common sign of PSU not delivering enough power, I am not saying that it is your PSU though, but it very well can be.

Guest 4478408

Let me help you here:
"If a visitor walks in the house with wet hair, it is logical for one to assume that it is raining outside."
its reasonable, but not a sound logical conclusion.
If my PC has never crashed before, and only starts to crash when I play Cyberpunk, it is logical to assume that the cause of the crash is Cyberpunk.
again. its reasonable, but not logical. or rather: it was reasonable, if this was still windows 95. its not. the application is NOT restarting your system.
Get outta here with your holier than thou attitude
indeed. suit yourself. good luck, young sir.

to those who have restarts, are you overclocking? Under no circumstances should a program be able to restart a computer, not even with such a junk operative system like Windows. Although with windows , it IS possible because it's jack shit, it's still extremely unlikely vs. hardware 'issues'. Primary reasons being a PSU which can't handle the load, or something indeed overheating and/or caushing a shutdown by the motherboard or PSU etc.

I know you guys say temps are ok but something isn't right if a program restarts a computer.

EDIT: indeed , the installer got registered as a threat with bitdefender on my LTSC. in fact it borked the entire installation lol. I had my spare original win 10 I use now for this. But again, that shouldn't lead to any reboots either.

its reasonable, but not a sound logical conclusion.

again. its reasonable, but not logical. or rather: it was reasonable, if this was still windows 95. its not. the application is NOT restarting your system.

indeed. suit yourself. good luck, young sir.

Hahaha not a sound logical conclusion? You sure you're ok dude?
"Drawing logical conclusions is the process of evaluating information and making appropriate judgments." No mention of facts, friend.

Anyway, I'd rather not waste my time with you as I can see you're the type to think he knows everything. You've already been proven wrong about your assertation that applications can't crash your system. (nfi where you get that from) and you don't know what the meaning of logic is despite me trying to help you understand.
Post automatically merged:

to those who have restarts, are you overclocking? Under no circumstances should a program be able to restart a computer, not even with such a junk operative system like Windows. Although with windows , it IS possible because it's jack shit, it's still extremely unlikely vs. hardware 'issues'. Primary reasons being a PSU which can't handle the load, or something indeed overheating and/or caushing a shutdown by the motherboard or PSU etc.

I know you guys say temps are ok but something isn't right if a program restarts a computer.

EDIT: indeed , the installer got registered as a threat with bitdefender on my LTSC. in fact it borked the entire installation lol. I had my spare original win 10 I use now for this. But again, that shouldn't lead to any reboots either.
No OC here.

The application can indirectly crash the system, as we've seen here. Could be some process isn't configured correctly and so it's drawing too much power or causing some memory issue which could cause the machine to crash. I put my settings down to low (so no chance of overloading the system) and it still reset my PC so something is wrong with the game

Also how did you stress test exactly? Maybe try prime95 + FurMark (at the same time), careful, don't fry your PC.

FWIW, I'll add my computer to the mix. Note that all testing to date has been done in windowed borderless mode running at 1440p.

My crashes started with the release of the 1.05 hotfix. Up to this point, I had 60+ hours into the game with few issues. Since that update, I've had constant crashes. Feels like every 20 to 30 minutes of gameplay. I've checked/updated drivers for my GPU, Motherboard, and OS. All are now up to date. No luck. Still crashes.

I dug through the event files and found that the CPU is reporting a power spike of about 680% at the time of crash. To be specific, it's Kernel-Processer-Power Even ID 55, Maximum performance percentage: 689. My guess is it's a quick spike since my CPU temps are stable around 60C ( I use MSI Afterburner overlay to track temps. I later disabled overlays to rule that out). But such a large spike could trigger the CPU to shut down to save itself. Also, I've tested this on the recent 1.06 hotfix. Still the same. Maybe slightly worse.

After testing so many different theories, I've seen the crash many times now, and it's more likely to happen when I exit the inventory or save screens. Maybe it's due to the game scene coming back into 'view'. Not sure on the 'why', but I can say that out of the last 4 crashes, all of them have been when I closed my inventory screen - tested with two characters. One with 60+ hours and another new character I created to test save file size. Both experienced the crash.

As others have stated, my PC can also run literally any other game you throw at it without issues. Benchmarks and stress tests also pass without issue. I'm able to push the PC well beyond what the sustained performance and temp demands this game requires at my given graphics settings. Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to solve the spike issue. In the meantime, I'll attempt to trigger the fail again and pay close attention to timestamps to confirm if exiting the inventory or save screen triggers the crash.

Hopefully, hotfix 1.07 can address this issue.

Computer stats for tracking -
CPU: i5-9600k now back to stock speed as part of testing.
GPU: RTX 2070 FE
Mem: 16GB down to stock speed as part of testing.
PSU: Corsair HX750

Throwing my hat in the ring - I just had a crash just like how others are describing here. I was in my apartment moving objects between my stash and my inventory when it happened.

Brand new PC build - Ryzen 3600xt, 5700xt, 16gb ram, 650w PSU. Using an XMP profile for the ram.

This is the first problem I've had with the pc at all. Every other game I've thrown at it has run flawlessly on maximum graphics.

Update on my current situation.

The game now crashes before it gets through the CDPR intro screens, as in I cannot even load into any saved game or start new. And the only way I can adjust graphics is through the Nvidia GeForce Experience app. Even going down to full potato mode doesn't help. Yes, this is still the only game that has this issue. I can crank up other games and while the FPS leaves much to be desired, the games still run. No idea why the crash issue degraded so quickly and I'm lost why adjusting graphics doesn't help. I've now also done a clean install on an M2 drive to rule out SSD failure. Still crashes during intro screens.

During my 60+ hours in this game, it's been amazing. The team really put a lot of work into making the world feel vibrant and detailed. The missions are well acted, have neat little story beats, and really help building out the city.

It's unfortunate the game isn't as stable as other AAA games in it's current state. I'm hopeful that a patch down the road will correct this issue.

To chime in. Have the same issue. i9-10850k, 2080ti, maximus xii mobo, 32 gb g-skill 3600, 850w PS. I think everything was fine with 1.03? 1.04 and above started seeing shutdowns. And what I have seeing is this is happening when saving game (autosave or F5 - quick save). If I go to menu then save no issues. Few times happened also when loading the game - but I would sad some 20% of shutdowns when loading the same and the rest is autosave/quicksave. Computer just does cold restart. Every other game - like MSFS 2020, Elite dangerous, Doom, DCS, Il2, Battlefield, Arma 3, VR games (I have valve index) , Red dead 2 - nothing every did this to my configuration. Just - this- game. CDPR please fix this.

Last edited:
Sounds like there's almost no hardware correlation that can be drawn here... surely this means none of the problems are hardware in nature then? I've never heard of a PC being forcibly restarted by a game though without a BSOD.

Same here, 2080ti, I7-2600k, 32 GB g-skill 3200hz, 850w psu with G-synch monitors. I tried to roll back my driver to 457.51, 460.89 and now 460.97, same result. It's happen only on cyberpunk atm, and i always have this error on my event viewer :

Sans titre.jpg

Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task Category: (63)

Same here, 2080ti, I7-2600k, 32 GB g-skill 3200hz, 850w psu with G-synch monitors. I tried to roll back my driver to 457.51, 460.89 and now 460.97, same result. It's happen only on cyberpunk atm, and i always have this error on my event viewer :

View attachment 11113409

Kernel-Power, Event ID 41, Task Category: (63)

That's the same error I get in my event viewer, and my system couldn't be more different.

Ryzen 3600xt
5700xt
16gb 3600mhz (XMP profile)
650w Coolermaster PSU

Theoretical max power draw of my system is less than 450w...

Some more information...

I've now had this happen a few times, and every time it has happened it is when I'm opening or closing a menu, or moving something around in the menu (it happened once when I equipped an item from my inventory).

Last edited:
That's the same error I get in my event viewer, and my system couldn't be more different.

Ryzen 3600xt
5700xt
16gb 3600mhz (XMP profile)
650w Coolermaster PSU

Theoretical max power draw of my system is less than 450w...

Some more information...

I've now had this happen a few times, and every time it has happened it is when I'm opening or closing a menu, or moving something around in the menu (it happened once when I equipped an item from my inventory).

Try to set your power plan to like this, it seems much more stable like this. No crash in 2 hours.

Top Bottom