Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

+

Cyberpunk Roles - Which One Will You Be

• Total voters
I'm gonna roll a netrunner first if there is in fact a definitive role system, but if you can mix and match between the two I'd probably mix techie and netrunner

For complete stealth purposes I'd invest in Solo and Netrunning. Netrunning to stay anonymous obviously from Big Brother and to make my face like the Laughing Man on CCTV.

Is what you see truly what you see or merely a virus the AI is experiencing?

Friend Computer had some hiccups from time to time. Once we hit a funeral service in order to assassinate to corporate boss and Jack was working as the teams surveillance and backup sniper. In short, he was seeing multiple "screens" in his VR sight each hooked up to different security camera and even one police bug camera on one of the guests.

Everything went fine until Jack noticed that something was wrong. Everybody was staring at him. Trough the screens. All the screens.

Didn't even matter that many cameras showed the same people at the same time. Each screen showed them staring straight at him. The spookiest one was the camera situated behind the funeral guests. It showed their backs towards the camera, like normal, but their heads were turned 180 degrees. Friend Computer chimed in with "This is illogical, they must be dead." and turned a red skull(target dead) marker on everybody. Even Jacks own teammates. That was one of the most creepy starts for a session.

In the end, it turned out Jack was just being hacked and Friend Computer was glitching the VR view because of it.

I'd go Netrunner, if it is implemented right..otherwise, Techie or Corporate

Even if I go Netrunner, I will get many tech skills to build my own deck and security hardware for my meatspace home.

Can someone please explain what each role is special for? Cops seem the most obvious and I already ready read a great deal about them here. Some more lines on each one in the main post for ppl like me who have no idea about the PnP? I would have used google/wiki but well :p

Jeremytroid already give you a summary of what was the Concept of each Role in Cyberpunk 2020. I add that each Role has it own unique skill to use in game. A list for your reference:

Cop - Authority: as a Cop you can intimidate criminals and request help from citizens
Corporate - Resources: as a Corp you can request help from your Company in form of Assets (Money, Vehicles, Hitmen...)
Fixer - Streetdeal - the skill related to get stuff\know people in the Sprawl
Media - Credibility: it is used to see how many people belive you and your news
Netrunner - Interface: you need this skill to be able to operate in the Net. Without it you can't do a single thing.
Nomad - Family: similar to the Corp unique skill but on a smaller scale. You can request help from the memebers of your Family
Rockerboy - Charismatic Leadership: it is used to see how many people you can "Inspire" with your songs
Solo - Combat Sense: its value is added to combat initiative and Spot tests
Techie - Jury Rig/Medical Tech: with these skills you can fix your gear or people.

I hope we can all use the interface even if we don't pick Netrunner. There should be other perks to what role we choose, because they're all tight.

Yngh

Forum veteran
Media - Credibility: it is used to see how many people belive you and your news
This may be hard, because I'm pretty convinced that the player character won't be able to be a reporter.

Rockerboy - Charismatic Leadership: it is used to see how many people you can "Inspire" with your songs
Not a chance, at least not without class specific and carefully designed gameplay elements, but I think that the focus would be too narrow.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockerboy and Media were combined into a more generic charisma-based class. Other classes seem doable, but keep in mind that this won't be a party-based game, so every character will need to be able to do some basic stuff here and there. I bet that a Netrunner won't be able to get through the whole game by hacking alone, for example.

This may be hard, because I'm pretty convinced that the player character won't be able to be a reporter.

Not a chance, at least not without class specific and carefully designed gameplay elements, but I think that the focus would be too narrow.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rockerboy and Media were combined into a more generic charisma-based class. Other classes seem doable, but keep in mind that this won't be a party-based game, so every character will need to be able to do some basic stuff here and there. I bet that a Netrunner won't be able to get through the whole game by hacking alone, for example.

Now, now, let us few and hopeful have our dreams before the game comes out and shatters them like glass falling on the ground!

Considering it's Red, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually pushed the boundaries of what RPGs are capable of doing and what game mechanics are implemented. I wouldn't discount their passion and ambition just yet, though I could be delusional. They have produced some fine fucking games and their take on DRM is exemplary. Still, we can't say anything for sure yet as there's no info available. Though I'm hoping they actually will implement the various different roles and whatnot, not only because it will add to replayability but also because it would'd be a natural evolution of the genre.

Yngh

Forum veteran
I'm sure that there will be different roles, but they won't work in exactly the same way as in PnP. I expect to see some great stuff, but the devs said that they will have to make some changes, although they didn't say what roles will be in.

I would run a solo but not with heavy cyber I prefer the assassin sort bioware so you can blend in with the mundane street crowd speed /stealth boosts night vision I hope to use as little lead as possible and a good sharp blade or tranq darts to take down the opposition I cannot avoid getting to the target

Nomad, Solo, Cop, and Netrunner... are the favorite classes...

Surprised Fixer isn't getting more votes, but otherwise this does not shock me...

Also, I think the reason Netrunner gets so many votes is because the actual pnp netrunners were really no fun to run with the rules as written, which were kinda confusing and wonky to put it mildly, and took up way to much game time to focus on one character...

I know in my games I just didn't allow them as player classes for years... until the sourcebook Rache Bartmoss's Brainware Blowout came out which gave us rules for using the Wizards of the Coast CCG Netrunner directly in game as a netrunning system. That was fun stuff, but made kinda crap by the fact that the card game wasn't sold everywhere, and it was nearly impossible to get a complete set.

When I wrote IU I just simplified the netrunning to skill rolls with a revised but consistant with the rest of the game mechanic, and left the wildness up to player and GM description.

I choose Netrunner since it was one of the few roles most Refs wouldn't allow due to the gameplay in the PnP game. I would love to fun a deck jockey, but seem like it would be a different game entirely. Second choice is fixer.

Netrunner was totally doable if the Ref was careful to give the Netrunner the same play time and ratio as the other players. We've had lots.

Netrunner was totally doable if the Ref was careful to give the Netrunner the same play time and ratio as the other players. We've had lots.
You lucked out. All Refs I had wouldn't unless the group was all netrunners. I didn't care if my players had one, but the group would shot the idea down cause they didn't want the separation of the group.

Ah, we separated all the time. Especially as campaigns go on. The GM keeps notes, but sometimes we'd be scattered all over the 2020 world.

Netrunners can stay with the group, though, just virtually.

Solo first, then I think Netrunner. Open with the direct approach, and after it's all over, then I go back to the beginning and see how far hacking the planet can get me.

Besides, I want to indulge my implant obsession right away, and that playstyle suits Solos better, in my opinion.

Top Bottom