Cyberpunk Slang

+
Cyberpunk Slang

I think one of the most important factors of this game's RP experience will be the slang. How do people talk in 2077?

A mix-mash of languages, old phrases mixed with new pronunciations.

I hope at some point you meet a character who just doesn't make any sense at all because she/he is speaking one word of like six different languages. Proper mixer language.

There is a list in the main 2020 rule book of certain phrases and words for the RP crowd, but with an advance of over 50 years, then the likelihood is that quite a few of them would be replaced.... I'll try and dig the list out from somewhere

Here is some example
http://www.verminary.com/cyberpunk/glossary.html

Still this is curious how u can intruduce that into the game. I think it would be great to have the subtitles not to be the same to what the NPC or your character is saying. Otherwise it is hard to put some words into the game that 90% of people will not understand the meaning of.

I still use some of the terms from my years of playing Cyberpunk 2020. I still occassionally call someone Choombata, and I often quote Ripper Jack, "Parts is parts and dead people is parts." Expecially after my knee surgery, when I recieved a doner part for my knee.

Here is some example

Still this is curious how u can intruduce that into the game. I think it would be great to have the subtitles not to be the same to what the NPC or your character is saying. Otherwise it is hard to put some words into the game that 90% of people will not understand the meaning of.

That's a good list, and to be honest unless you do a hardcore RP, the majority of stuff that will be taken in will either be items, places or abbreviations, I.e. stuff that can be pointed out as something tangible in game... A lot of the other stuff could be added in as a sequel or as gang slang, etc and expanded upon in a possible sequel.

Here is some example

They can always go the old standby the Assassin's Creed games use and have the subtitle spell out the word and the meaning in parentheses next to it.

I for one have noticed "Firefly" slang slip into my everyday language, so I'm pretty sure it'll be easy to get used to once you're exposed to it for a while.

Guest 3641302

You see people adopt 'slang' used by others and throw it into everyday speech a lot these days - especially with the younger ones.

I've heard them use "neh?" in the same way as older folk would use "n'est-ce pas?" (both mean roughly "isn't that so?" only one is Japanese and the other is French.
You also see the influence in message boards. With "kekekekeke" instead of "ha ha" (apparently many asian groups regard outright laughter as insulting, so they chuckle behind hands more often, and the keke sound equates to it. Or the use of "QQ" for "crying".

Depends a lot on the amount of cultural and subcultural assimilation.

Top Bottom