Cyberpunk Soundtrack

+
Cyberbeard;n1278233 said:
My list:

First of all, you need Solar Fields in there! Invite them to collaborate with you on the soundtrack, please!
(This track really kicks off at 3:05, so go there unless you have the time to listen through all of it.)

Next, I can never think the words dystopia and future without remembering the one and only Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis.

A recent candidate to my list of favourite futuristic tracks is found in Mass Effect, and its called The Presidium. This track just gets the imagination going about a technocratic future right away. The cleaner side of things, far disconnected from the streets of Night City. So in essence, great for moments where you infiltrate a headquarters or a futuristic shopping mall or whatever.

Tangerine Dream, Biosphere, and of course the fantastic Daft Punk for their timeless work, on Tron: Legacy among other things.

This guy, way back on page 1, knows what he's talking about! About 75% of this thread is so-called retrowave, which I hope is not the direction CDPR goes. To each his/her own, but the above, to me, seems more atmospheric and moving than retrowave.

premiumlagerbeer;n9229491 said:
This guy, way back on page 1, knows what he's talking about! About 75% of this thread is so-called retrowave, which I hope is not the direction CDPR goes. To each his/her own, but the above, to me, seems more atmospheric and moving than retrowave.
The only thing that might speak against that is that some 4 years or so ago someone from CDPR did say:

"There are lots of cyber games around, but there's not a lot of punk in those games. We want to put more punk into ours. We do not want to make a dark and hopeless world. We are not doing Blade Runner. It will be full of rock and roll."

Of course... this is 4 years old, and things might have changed since then. But I would not be surpriced if it has not, or if it has not changed all that much from their original vision of the game.

The styles of music you point to in your quote might still be in the game of course, and I am sure it will be, but from what it sounds like it will be far from the only kinds of musical styles, if anything there might be a heavier leaning towards other kinds of music. But it's only a guess. What ever it ends up being, I hope I like it.

premiumlagerbeer

We can have both.

Neoromancer - Nightstop

FOOL - Sahara

d.notice - Red Light Syndrome

Nightstop - Synth City

In Strict Confidence - Somebody Else's Dream
This song's lyrics fits perfectly with Braindance:

"We`re only floating around in a dream
Only craving for senses to feel
Gasping for more as if
This would be real, and not somebody else's dream"

Battle Tapes - Feel the Same

Last edited:
Fret - Stuck

Fret - Bike

[video=youtube;9IJ1fwYl-AQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IJ1fwYl-AQ[/video]

Fret - Fuss

Fret - Lift Method

Calistarius

Hm, that's interesting to hear that they potentially aren't going for the low-life side of Cyberpunk seen in Blade Runner and Neuromancer, etc. As much as I love that grimy underworld, it would be nice to see CDPR tackle something brighter. I loved Witcher 3, but it is sometimes unrelentingly bleak. That said, I have always thought of the cyber part of 'cyberpunk' as the neon, futurism, high-tech, etc., and the punk part as the griminess, the brownish-grey sky, the addictions, etc. Punks did come from the streets, after all. But, I have a ton of faith in CDPR and am excited to see whatever direction they go.

Lisbeth_Salander

Some of these could be fine given the right context, I suppose: arcades, fights, clubs, etc.. I do hope for more spacey, atmospheric music for exploration and the lower-key aspects of the game, though.

Lisbeth_Salander;n9230711 said:
We can have both.
And that is something I could compleatly live with. That the game had more then just one style of music. To me it makes perfect sence that you would have, especially various bars and dance places and discos and what ever, where they each play their own prefered style of music. I don't know what the games main style and theme of music should be... but as for the rest of the ingame music, I would be glad with a big mix of it.

premiumlagerbeer;n9231761 said:
CalistariusHm, that's interesting to hear that they potentially aren't going for the low-life side of Cyberpunk seen in Blade Runner and Neuromancer, etc. As much as I love that grimy underworld, it would be nice to see CDPR tackle something brighter. I loved Witcher 3, but it is sometimes unrelentingly bleak. That said, I have always thought of the cyber part of 'cyberpunk' as the neon, futurism, high-tech, etc., and the punk part as the griminess, the brownish-grey sky, the addictions, etc. Punks did come from the streets, after all. But, I have a ton of faith in CDPR and am excited to see whatever direction they go.
And I think you will get that griminess and what not as well... it's just that everything is essentually bathed in neon lights and what not. And that is something I think is even something that would be very common at the lowest rungs of sociaty in a cyberpunk city... it's just that everything is just crammed together much much tighter, much smaller apartments available, but a lot more of them of course... and something like even the dark allys are probably going to get some of that neon lights and what not spilling into them.

I would look towards something like Tokyo here... where even the small and cramp streets seem to be teeming with life and lights and what not at any hour of the day and night.

Actually... speaking of which... only like 2-3 weeks ago I saw a series with maybe 3 episodes, it was a BBC documentary series about various kinds of Japanese art. Where one of those episodes was about the art of their cities (historically and today as well), where one part of that apisode was about modern day Tokyo (I belive it was Tokyo atleast), and parts of that was those backstreets and what not... *googles around some*

Ok... found it. What your looking for is "BBC The Art of Japanese Life", and the specific episode your looking for should be the second episode, and should also be as well called "Cities" added to the end of the rest of the name. And if my memory serves me correctly, this particular part of the episode about the modern day cities and their art, is maybe roughly the last 3rd of the episode I think, maybe even as late as the last 4th of it. Look for the part about a particular japanese photographer (who's name I do not remember) who is known for taking pictures in Tokyo.

Also... check out the 3rd episode, which is the japanese art of "Home"... where I do recall another japanese photographer loves to take pictures in young peoples apartments, becasuse they are so small that they essentually can't have things like to large closets and what not to store things in, so evertything is right there in the open, stacked or hung on walls or what ever. Stepping into one of those youths apartment will pretty much instantly tell you almost everything you need to know who that person is... their taste in music, clothing, art, culture, maybe even political stuff and what not.

Actually... why not just watch the entire series if your able to... from episode 1 which is about their art based around Nature, and all the way through the episode about their art from/about the Cities, into the art based in and around the Homes. Most of it will not really have anything at all to do with what we where talking about here, at all... I just really did enjoy that entire series a lot, so would recommend it to people. Each episode is almost a full hour as well I think (some 58-59 min long). I also saw another 3 part BBC documentary at the same time, about Japanese craftmanship... where you got to follow one particular thing in each episode that was being made. A Katana in the first episode, the Kimono in the second (this one did impress me a lot actually, how they where able to get the colours into them, all done in the traditional way of how it used to be done), and the third one was some kind of pottery. Think that show was called "Handmade in Japan", but those episodes where only some 25-30 minutes long.

All Hail the Silence - Looking Glass

All Hail the Silence - The Alarm

Jordan F - Under the Sun (feat. Le Cassette)

Michael Oakley - End of Summer

Perturbator - Sentient

Le Cassette - Arms of Mine

Le Cassette - You Are You Are

Le Cassette - Electric Paradise

Le Cassette - This Is All We Know

Le Cassette - Tokyo Blues

Le Cassette - I Will Show You

Le Cassette - Getaway

BT - Artifacture
[video=youtube;FHXF3-7XGGM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHXF3-7XGGM[/video]

Hybrid - Break My Soul

Last edited:
The Midnight - The Years

The Midnight - Days of Thunder

The Midnight - Kick Drums and Red Wine

The Midnight - Endless Summer

The Midnight - Sunset

The Midnight - Jason

The Midnight - Synthetic
[video=youtube;-VCf8WZsx3c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCf8WZsx3c[/video]

The Midnight - Vampires
[video=youtube;bBs-lPvk3Zk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBs-lPvk3Zk[/video]

The Midnight - Nighthawks
[video=youtube;GI-oguRJFb8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI-oguRJFb8[/video]

The Midnight - Memories

Trevor Something - In My System

Trevor Something - Summer Love

Trevor Something - So Far Away

Trevor Something - Mechanical Love

IVERSON - Metline Blues

IVERSON - DRIVE//RIDE

Lazerhawk - So Far Away

Boom Boom Satellites - Wonderful Wizard of Dub

Boom Boom Satellites - On the Painted Desert

Boom Boom Satellites - 4 a Moment of Silence
[video=youtube;EordzaO8q-w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EordzaO8q-w[/video]

Boom Boom Satellites - Push Eject

Hybrid - Dogstar
[video=youtube;xB-6ATu4EUw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB-6ATu4EUw[/video]

Com Truise - Karova

Com Truise - Brokendate

Com Truise - Galactic Melt

Haujobb - Sub Unit Three

Noir Nights

Cyberpunk versus Post-Cyberpunk soundtrack 1/5

Cyberpunk versus Post-Cyberpunk soundtrack 2/5
[video=youtube;ke7h-k4IXkI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke7h-k4IXkI[/video]

Cyberpunk versus Post-Cyberpunk soundtrack 3/5
[video=youtube;wraw9--iXrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wraw9--iXrg[/video]

Cyberpunk versus Post-Cyberpunk soundtrack 4/5

Cyberpunk versus Post-Cyberpunk soundtrack 5/5

Blush Response

Vitaliy Zavadskyy

Hybrid - Gravastar

Hybrid - Formula of Fear
[video=youtube;-EOCEHhaR_w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EOCEHhaR_w[/video]

Hybrid - Disappear Here
[video=youtube;puQTB-mdeQk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puQTB-mdeQk[/video]

Hybrid - Can You Hear Me

Hybrid - Green Shell Suit

Last edited:
premiumlagerbeer;n9231761 said:
Some of these could be fine given the right context, I suppose: arcades, fights, clubs, etc.. I do hope for more spacey, atmospheric music for exploration and the lower-key aspects of the game, though.

The reddit user "Haxeu" shares a similar opinion on synthwave being in the game:
I don't think this'll be the exact kind of music we're gonna get. 2077 won't be in the retro-futurist cyberpunk style, but will have instead an up to date modern version of cyberpunk.
Music like these don't evoke the future anymore, but the past, the 80's etc...
edit: awesome music tho

While what you both said makes sense, consider the following:

>full retro music doens't fit in a futuristic game
>music that is both mid retro and mid futuristic may not fit in a futuristic scenario (as you said many songs that I posted are in this category, but not all [ see previous threads])
>music that is very futuristic and a little bit retro fit in a futuristic scenario (some synthwave artists are in this category)

Some synthwave artists have their songs fitting perfectly with the futuristic scenario, while still not being TOO retro: Carpenter Brut ("Anarchy Road"), Perturbator ("Future Club","Death Squad" and "Venger), Dance With the Dead ("Andromeda" and "Dressed to Kill"), Lazerhawk ("Skull and Shark" Full Album) and Daniel Deluxe.

CP2077 might have it's own ost based on modern music, but we may find some retro elements in it and even listen to some synthwave songs in a radio.
Another point is:

>if they consider rock n roll songs from the 60s and 70s to be in CP2077, since CP2020 style is based on them
>it is also plausible to consider some songs that are a little bit retro like synthwave or even synthwave itself

Hell, even Lady Gaga's latest albums have 80s minimalistic aspects that are also present in synthwave, while still maintaning a modern vibe.(oh no the implications of this sentence might destroy my reputation in this forum)
Another example is the movie Blade Runner 2049, that certainly has the futuristic vibe while having Vangelis' 80s synth minimalistic vibe, which is also present in synthwave.

It all depends if the songs fit with the game tbh.

Last edited:
Lisbeth_Salander;n9253211 said:
Hell, even Lady Gaga's latest albums have 80s minimalistic aspects that are also present in synthwave, while still maintaning a modern vibe.(oh no the implications of this sentence might destroy my reputation in this forum)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwmXO0J-PAA

Lisbeth_Salander;n9253211 said:
It all depends if the songs fit with the game tbh.

perhaps they'll simplify things and have a nice directory we can dump music in, eh? readjusted eq for what where the sound might be coming from, corner market vs personal radio, etc.

vtm: bloodlines was kind of crap as games go but the soundtrack did raise its unlife higher than it was... so many people hanging in its scenes just to hear a song on repeat.

still, one would hope it doesn't focus so much on the genre of the body of the game but the inherent themes, ethno, cultural, economic, other variable demographics of the game... while individual characters may be quite diverse, patterns emerge in wider demographic, plus performers tend to serve as folk heroes of a sort, escaping the bucket of crabs with celebrity as do other entertainment personalities, sports, etc. important to shade some of the communities in that way.. even some bottomfeeder gangs are known for the cultural refinement and attachment to history as others may be attached to the have nots of bling rings. Or maybe just fill it up with polish bands.

recursivecat;n9270411 said:
vtm: bloodlines was kind of crap as games go

Take that back, sir. :p

Nice analogy. But, are the songs you posted really fitting in with the game?? A great way to know how a song will fit in a game is to ask yourself the question: can this song happen during a scene in a cyberpunk story? Its nice to notice that there may be a huge variety of songs in CP2077, as stated in your post.

I gotta check out your other post in page 98 though...

One of the greatest ambient like artists out there that still gives that 80s feel is Dynatron.

Last edited:
Versalife - The Interrogation

Versalife - Harness Technology

Versalife - Voyager

Versalife - Artificial Affection

Versalife - Cloaking Mod

Versalife - Manipulated Matter

Versalife - Polychange

Versalife - Shine Eye

Versalife - Autobots

Versalife - MILnet

Versalife - Transgenics

Versalife - Raptures Of The Deep

Versalife - Scepsis

Versalife - Gentrification

Versalife - Pathogen

How about some sexually explicit dark songs about obssession and serial killer/stalkers?

Vast - Pretty When You Cry

She Wants Revenge - Tear You Apart

Younderboi - Where You Thinking of me?

Last edited:
Top Bottom