Cyberpunk Soundtrack

+
CYBERPUNK_2077_Night Drive Music_1.0 (Cruise/Explore)

For awhile now, I've been currating music playlists that attempt to try to capture the economic and cultural identities of the announced NIGHT CITY districts. I'm also putting together playlists related to other things that happen in Night City. This list is music that I think would work well when free-roaming the city in a vehicle.

It's a bit more Synthwave oriented than my other playlists (Starts a bit more varied and gets more typically synthwave as it goes). I'm starting with 4-6 tracks as style references first and then want to iterate and get closer to the mark as more info from CDPR becomes available.

The end goal is to post the links to the community for use in pen and paper games, to just get hyped for 2077, or to pitch to CDPR as suggestions (since music licensing usually happens late in development).

Everybody's musical tastes are different, so I don't expect everyone to be feeling what I'm doing. I'm trying to do something a bit different with these playlists and different is always risky. But if you like what you hear, let CDPR know! This is WORK IN PROGRESS. Good headphones or speakers recommended.

https://soundcloud.com/user-227051119%2Fsets%2Fcyberpunk_2077_night-drive

Last edited:
Looking at the songs being posted in this thread, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be really surprised with the general music direction we're taking with the game. It will obviously match the theme and compliment the world just right, however I don't think many are expecting where we're going.

Looking at the songs being posted in this thread, I have a feeling a lot of folks will be really surprised with the general music direction we're taking with the game. It will obviously match the theme and compliment the world just right, however I don't think many are expecting where we're going.
The people who are expecting synthwave and licensed music will probably be disappointed.
Anyone who read about who is involved in the soundtrack and which direction you are going and also watched the demo will most likely look forward to it.

Or not, there are always people who'll complain I guess. :D

Unexpected is good. Cyberpunk *should* be iconoclastic. Synthwave is low hanging fruit. But a lot of people like it. We're kind of operating in a vacuum as information is so limited. The only style references we have to go on currently are "Spoiler", "Chippin' in" and "Bullets".

If CDPR has internally determined a musical direction, should we stop making suggestions at this point?

Last edited:
Try to figure out CDPR musical direction game stage one ACTIVATE.

This is pure conjecture, but my guess would be that the game will feature a dynamic "score" (no lyrics, etc) that is trying to do something completely new genre-wise, scratch written/performed/recorded music for Samurai (ala "Chippin' in") and limited licensed music for promotional use (Trailers, commercials, etc). Either no in-game "soundtrack" (licensed music with lyrics) or limited "soundtrack".

If that is the case, (and this is just my humble opinion) it feels like a *small* missed opportunity. I personally like the idea of new interpretations (remixes/covers, etc) of music that would be "classics" by 2077 (ala any music released by 2020). By moving forward, society doesn't neccesarily abandon it's past and nostalgia is cyclical (Jazz in Blade Runner might be one example). It's likely that there will always be popular music and counterculture music pushing against each other in society, and it would be a HUGE undertaking for CDPR to try to generate ALL of that content from scratch. But maybe they are just THAT bad ass. Who knows?

What I can say is that for me personally, the world would feel very aurally empty without 100+ (6 districts worth plus music for other uses) "Soundtrack" style pieces of music used as ambient audio in the world. It's a dense urban sprawl, not a wasteland like Fallout, so I'd expect to be constantly barraged my music around every corner. But again, that's a big ask.

Last edited:
I think music more in this direction is expected from me. But I think I will be surprised no matter what music direction they take.

That's reassuring. I'm happy with what little Rock, Electronic and Traditional music I heard in the gameplay demo but I'm open to more musical surprises (folk, jazz, disco?) :)

Hi!! Maybe too late to the party, but yes, is amazing how new music discovered in this thread.
My aportation is most darkwave, i know maybe not the adecuate music or direction for the game,
but every time imagine a fight, chase or persecution in the game with this music.
Hubrid:

I think music more in this direction is expected from me. But I think I will be surprised no matter what music direction they take.

Nicee techno, the demo did have something similar to this yeah.
Something from me, i think the beginning here really builds that combat tension.

I didn't go through the full topic, but there were some good suggestions.
However, I have some memories of Cyberpunk 2020 with Billy Idol.
Did anyone mentioned him ?

hey everyone
i am joining the party quite late.
(will definitely read the older posts)

since i saw the game-play demo i have been hooked. fascinated by the world it builds and potential it has.
as a musician, i have been thinking about cyberpunk 2077s music a lot.

my vision for the cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack can't be defined by a single artists work or genre.
i see night city as pluralist, brutal, chaotic, free and synthetic.
but in the end it's residents still are human and have emotional responses to what happens around them.
the soundtrack has to reflect this societies culture, while evoking emotion.

the band "black rain" effectively marries technologically enhanced raw emotional punk with dystopian soundscapes, whilst not stylizing or falling in repetition. their members live cyberpunk and have worked togther since the 80s.

the album to the tracks https://blackesteverblack.bandcamp.com/album/dark-pool
(the groups earliest work https://dkarecords.bandcamp.com/album/metal-rain-1989-1993)

the brutally synthetic "ep 1" by "the sprawl", accurately represents the high tech digital aspect of cyberpunk.
this work will tickle your spine!

"love theme" draws a emotional connection between beautiful dystopian slow saxophone melodies and dense urban soundscapes. convening the dark emotions of cyberpunk 2077.

https://lovetheme-alter.bandcamp.com/album/love-theme

these three sides combined represent what i musically see in cyberpunk, it's punk side, it's synthetic side and it's emotional side.

thank you to everyone working on this project you inspire me!

hey everyone
i am joining the party quite late.
(will definitely read the older posts)

since i saw the game-play demo i have been hooked. fascinated by the world it builds and potential it has.
as a musician, i have been thinking about cyberpunk 2077s music a lot.

my vision for the cyberpunk 2077 soundtrack can't be defined by a single artists work or genre.
i see night city as pluralist, brutal, chaotic, free and synthetic.
but in the end it's residents still are human and have emotional responses to what happens around them.
the soundtrack has to reflect this societies culture, while evoking emotion.

the band "black rain" effectively marries technologically enhanced raw emotional punk with dystopian soundscapes, whilst not stylizing or falling in repetition. their members live cyberpunk and have worked togther since the 80s.

the album to the tracks https://blackesteverblack.bandcamp.com/album/dark-pool
(the groups earliest work https://dkarecords.bandcamp.com/album/metal-rain-1989-1993)

the brutally synthetic "ep 1" by "the sprawl", accurately represents the high tech digital aspect of cyberpunk.
this work will tickle your spine!

"love theme" draws a emotional connection between beautiful dystopian slow saxophone melodies and dense urban soundscapes. convening the dark emotions of cyberpunk 2077.

https://lovetheme-alter.bandcamp.com/album/love-theme

these three sides combined represent what i musically see in cyberpunk, it's punk side, it's synthetic side and it's emotional side.

thank you to everyone working on this project you inspire me!

Good call on this. I've got a related thread going to a poll (link in my signature). I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts. I think we share some overlap of ideas. I'm going to be posting a quick walkthrough of the idea with links later today and it would be fun to bounce ideas off of you, if you are inclined.

Top Bottom