Cyberpunk Source Material: Games, Movies, Books

+
it's free and you can play it but since nobody knows it nobody plays it. I think i found it on steam's greenlight...

This list really surprised me, some of them have nothing cyberpunkish. Warhammer 40 games shouldn't be on the list at all. As someone said its sci-fi but it has nothing to do with cyberpunk setting

Ever heard of Oni before? I think that counts.

And probably this one. Mindjack. One of the worst games....ever.

Man, if the idea was to spread cyberpunk to people, you're sure as hell doing it wrong. :/

Cyberpunk requires more than just futuristic setting, which seems to be the criteria here... If you wanted it to be broad, could at least have filtered it to DIRTY futuristic settings.

By your criteria, we could add Starcraft series, Final Fantasy series... heck, even Star Wars. Basically, any sci-fi games.

But now, ranting apart, three games that are more cyberpunk than 70% of the list: Portal, Portal 2 and Half-life 2.

Agreed. Sci Fi is not Cyberpunk. I would cut the following from the list:

- A.I. Wars
- Burn:Cycle
- Enter The Matrix
- Megaman Series
- I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
- Marathon
- Metal Gear Solid
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons Of Liberty
- Defcon: Global Nuclear Domination Game
- Darwinia
- Multiwinia
- Paradroid
- Anarchy Online
- Crysis
- Crysis Warhead
- Crysis 2
- Crysis 3
- Mass Effect
- Mass Effect 2
- Mass Effect 3
- Outcast
- Advent Rising
- OpenOutcast Oasis
- Red Faction: Armageddon
- Space Siege
- ShadowGrounds
- ShadowGrounds: Survivor
- Legendary
- Prototype
- Prototype: 2
- MDK
- MDK 2
- WarHammer 40000 Space Marine
- The Journeyman Project 1: Project Turbo!
- The Journeyman Project 2: Buried in Time
- The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
- Section 8
- Section 8: Prejudice
- Hydrophobia: Prophecy
- Infernal
- Dead Space
- Dead Space 2
- Dead Space 3
- Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
- Lost Planet: 2
- Mercury: Red
- Battlefield 2142
- Quake 4

I would remove all of those from the list, also, Binary Domain is listed twice.
The above games are either Sci Fi or a strange supernatural sci fi mix. They are not Cyberpunk.

You may think about adding Blacklight: Retribution, as it is more Cyberpunk than the list above. Final Fantasy 7, technically counts as Cyberpunk.

I don't know them all but burn:cycle, i have no mouth and i must scream, metal gear solid, hydrophobia: prophecy are cyberpunk games. Dead Space is also cyberpunk as much as the first Alien movie was, probably a little more since at the end of the game some kind of new being awakes or is created (which would happen in the archetypal cyberpunk story). Ofc, dead space is nothing but a clone plot wise with lots of shooting and hallucinations...

As far as i'm concerned themes like cyberspace, drugs, totalitarian/crime/conspiracy stuff, corporations, superior beings are what make cyberpunk the way it is.
Violence, settings and characters who feel some kind of psychological freedom like hackers, ninjas, noir cops (and runners in mirror's edge case) are an addition to me, though i prefer post cyberpunk stuff in general..

As far as i'm concerned themes like cyberspace, drugs, totalitarian/crime/conspiracy stuff, corporations, superior beings are what make cyberpunk the way it is.
Violence, settings and characters who feel some kind of psychological freedom like hackers, ninjas, noir cops (and runners in mirror's edge case) are an addition to me, though i prefer post cyberpunk stuff in general..

Do you feel that Resident Evil meets the Cyberpunk critera then?

The only resident evil thing i played was RE4 and i never seen the movies, it depends on what themes it developes. If it does have something to do with -punk, that'd probably be biopunk like prototype and partly bioshock

Also, how can games based on the Matrix not be cyberpunk? And yep, MGS kinda cyberpunk, MGS2 and MGS4 VERY cyberpunk.

i haven't quoted it 'cause i never tried it. Not even once:/ I probably should..

...or maybe not. I'm watching the lobby shootout and it's mhe:/

Top Bottom