Cyberpunk Source Material: Games, Movies, Books

+
Im the creator of the thread, c'mon, and im asking your help guys! Im gonna re-vamp that list with subcategories like the level of the cyberpunk feel, i don't know, i just think that i should give this list proper attention.. I need ideas, and im gonna start by cutting off some games from the list. :)
-Killah1981

A lot of games from the list fall into cyberpunk subgenres, or deal partly with cyberpunk. Give a look to the cyberpunk anime thread before going through this one, it's like a cyberpunk thread simulator

Is it really that cyberpunk? I haven't played it but it seems like more of a parody of the old cartoon G.I. Joe.

Kind off, It doesn't have the city feel, but It's got more of an 80's futuristic.. It is very comedic though, like a mix of the terminator and the 80's on the Far Cry game engine.

It's really not fully cyberpunk, but as said before it can surely go as a subgenre.

Hmmm.. I don't think that can go on the list, i've played FC3 BD and sincerly, it's more of a parody of old Sci-Fi Movies like the ones Arnold Schwaznegger loved to do, but it's not really cyberpunk, know what i mean?
Right now im focusing on cutting games, any tips?
-Killah1981

Project Snowblind is an older cyberpunk shooter with some similarities to Deus Ex. It was originally supposed to be a spinoff of Deus Ex called Deus Ex: Clan Wars.

Hmmm.. I don't think that can go on the list, i've played FC3 BD and sincerly, it's more of a parody of old Sci-Fi Movies like the ones Arnold Schwaznegger loved to do, but it's not really cyberpunk, know what i mean?
Right now im focusing on cutting games, any tips?
-Killah1981

Running Man and Total Recall then...

Cyberpunk!

Running Man and Total Recall then...

Cyberpunk!

Neither of those movies are Cyberpunk. They're future dystopia, yes. They're not Cyberpunk.

Running Man has very little in the way of technological advances, and virtually no cyberware. Total Recall is futuristic for sure, but it's not Cyberpunk again, in that there's no Cyberpunk in it. Even the thing Arnold digs out of himself looks like it's from the 80s. So no, it's not Cyberpunk, nor is it anywhere near it.

Yeah, people, but we are talking about GAMES not MOVIES
- Killah1981

As I said before, Project Snowblind is a cyberpunk shooter which I didn't see on the list.

Now, some people might say the Tron franchise isn't really cyberpunk, but I do think cyberpunk fans should definitely check out Tron 2.0.

William GibsonVerified account ‏@GreatDismal

Tron nostalgia: When I was writing Neuromancer, that was *the* bleeding-edge digital aesthetic. Those sparse green lines! Pong, meet Case.

http://www.cyberpunkreview.com/movie/decade/1980-1989/tron/

"Overview: How could a cyberpunk review site NOT have Tron?" "They are able to make this crazy environment work well enough that it still comes across as a rather cool cyberpunk flick. And truly, if you’re into VR cyberpunk movies, Tron is a MUST SEE - so much so that one point has added to this review score for its historical place in VR films." "Rating: 8 out of 10 "

Some people seem to disagree with you.

Tron ins't cyberpunk, period

Like I said, i didn't expect everyone to consider Tron cyberpunk.

Its just when I see stuff like Omikron: The Nomad Soul on the list......The settings might be cyberpunk, but the stories might not.

TRON 2.0 definitely has more of a cyberpunk plot than some of these games. It's about running around in cyberspace, fighting security programs, viruses, enemy hackers, etc. All to thwart the plans of an evil corporation from taking over the world. No fantasy elements to deal with.

Even if it isn't cyberpunk, If there are any netrunners out there who are looking for a first person shooter with some RPG elements (with some lightcycle fun on the side), this might be worth your time.

Also, I didn't see messiah on the list. Its apparently about an angel fighting satan, but the setting looks cyberpunk. Is it any good?

Maybe we should change the titles to all these threads to "Flicks/Games/Comics... that every Cyberpunk/Cyberpunk2020 should see/play/read...". Would that be too inclusive or too restrictive? I dunno, maybe it would be just more sincere. Maybe it's a "check this out if you want to see this particular trope explored", or "this is how a cop campaign should work", or "don't mind the extraneous elements, the rest is very cyberpunk", or "this is just noir, very old and set in the past, but it has that vibe".

Nah, it works okay the way it is. Disagreement, conflict, it's all good. Just give a little commentary on how something is or isn't cyberpunk to you and people will know if it interests them or not.

Maybe we should change the titles to all these threads to "Flicks/Games/Comics... that every Cyberpunk/Cyberpunk2020 should see/play/read...". Would that be too inclusive or too restrictive? I dunno, maybe it would be just more sincere. Maybe it's a "check this out if you want to see this particular trope explored", or "this is how a cop campaign should work", or "don't mind the extraneous elements, the rest is very cyberpunk", or "this is just noir, very old and set in the past, but it has that vibe".

Nah, it works okay the way it is. Disagreement, conflict, it's all good. Just give a little commentary on how something is or isn't cyberpunk to you and people will know if it interests them or not.

An "Honorable Mentions" category might help alleviate some of the restrictiveness. You know, how a game might not really be raw cyberpunk, but has some cyberpunk elements?

You could said that on most of the listed games tbh. For example, deus ex is both cyberpunk and post cyberpunk.
I see no problem listing all kinds of cyberpunk related medias or even real life examples as long as the list doesn't become a huge mess.

TvTropes would be a good base to start off.

Okay, guises, i've added two new games to the list, im thinking about my next step to add sub-categories to the list..

Top Bottom