Cyberpunk Witcher

+

Aditya

Forum veteran
Cyberpunk Witcher

I came to knew about THIS from this thread

The Big Kiev Witcher

The world in which machines are functioning by themselves and have consciousness similar to that of animals. Various races, such as humans and elves; wild and domestic vehicles. The Big Kiev Witcher is a short-story cycle included 10 stories which set in the Big Kiev universe. Witcher Geralt's work is to destroy machines-monsters; Geralt combines care for the City and indifference to all other things with inner warm feelings and care for alive, not shown to everyone. The series is inspired by Polish fantasy writer Andrzej Sapkowski's series about Geralt (The Witcher saga).

A bladerunner geralt hunting machine-monsters is a book inspired by the witcher saga! I wonder how it is and if it's available in english.

This should be a spin off game or something one heck of a crossover :D/>/>
I wonder if one of those 'shorter games' can turn out to be of this? *conspiracy hat* They did make far cry 3 blood dragon as a good joke paying homage to the '80s and that was hilariously good. This can be great in all seriousness!

Ok I'll stop now.

Or maybe there could be an easter egg in CP77? A sekrit mission you acquire in the game and go monster machine hunting with cyberpunk Geralt? That would be awesome :D/>

But I wonder if there's a difference in using Sapkowski's Geralt and this one; I think there might be as far as copyrights are concerned, so they'll probably adapt the witcher Geralt for CP77 easter egg, IF there is such a thing.

Adityathewarriorwithin said:
This should be a spin off game or something one heck of a crossover :D/>/>/>
I wonder if one of those 'shorter games' can turn out to be of this? *conspiracy hat* They did make far cry 3 blood dragon as a good joke paying homage to the '80s and that was hilariously good. This can be great in all seriousness!

Ok I'll stop now.

That would be hilarious :D.

It seems that these books are not available in English. Nevertheless, thanks for sharing the info, I'll read them in Russian ;)

(I know this author, I read a couple of books he authored, but I didn't know about these particular ones)

I'll let you know whether they're good once I finish them :)

After seeing @sardas artwork, I thought about Witcher game set in the future. Just like one of the Highlander movies spin off crossed with original Blade.

Saoe said:
After seeing @sardas artwork, I thought about Witcher game set in the future. Just like one of the Highlander movies spin off crossed with original Blade.

Drowners with neuro implants to make them smarter. And deadlier.

There was a reissue last year.
Most likely, Vasilyev's new novel "The Technician of Greater Kiev" can also be considered cyberpunk, though it has a fair bit of fantasy in it. Six months after publication it is now clear that it's indeed the same Russian cyberpunk, blindly feeling for direction in the surrounding genre crowd.
Given these examples it is not hard to understand the difference between the classic American cyberpunk and it's Russian counterpart. The American one is, first and foremost, postmodernistic, a semantic superstructure on top of the text, coupled with an umistakable sense of the future, often outright gloomy. Russian cyberpunk, in this sense, is simpler and more traditional; in essense it's same old science fiction and only the terminology can help tell whether it's cyberpunk or not. To me, that's growing pains - Russian cyberpunk is still very young, it's only developing it's traditions and settling the frontiers. But even now one can see a certain shift towards ideology: Russian cyberpunk is moving away from complete reliance on terminology and starting to develop certain characteristics not present in tranditional sci-fi. This can be seen in "Maze of Reflections", "The Free Hunter", and now, as far as I can tell, in "The Technician of Greater Kiev". Although Bruce Sterling, one of the pillars of Western cyberpunk, during his last visit to St. Petersburg, when asked whether there are young American writers who could be classified as belonging to this branch of sci-fi, said simply and clearly: "No. Cyberpunk belongs to our generation, to those who were starting out in the early 80's. The current generation has yet to find it's own style." So should it be any surprise at all that Russian cyberpunk, consisting mostly of people 10-15 years younger than Gibson and Sterling, differs from the classic American one?
Vasilyev, Vladimir (2002) [1998]. Longneck, Basil Georg; Hrabrov, Max (eds.). "Cyberpunk for Russians and non-Russians". Russian SF&F. Moscow.

Top Bottom