Cybertech or Eugenics?

+
Cybertech or Eugenics?

Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcpbINpE7GE
Seems we're a lot closer to "Khan Noonien Singh" (Star Trek) then we are the Bionic Man.

While recent advances in artificial limbs are astounding, I think we're poised on the edge of a much larger, and more profound era of genetic engineering.

Take a look at this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcpbINpE7GE
Seems we're a lot closer to "Khan Noonien Singh" (Star Trek) then we are the Bionic Man.

While recent advances in artificial limbs are astounding, I think we're poised on the edge of a much larger, and more profound era of genetic engineering.

I think that is a profoundly stupid documentary.

"why not a stronger arm" because the entire skeleton has to be stronger or you will break ribs. "why not run faster" because it's not just muscle strength, it's also the robustness of the Cardiovascular system and circulatory systems that have to be better as well.

Will a technology maturing change us? sure, it's likely it always has. Fire and the ability to cook food has changed us to the point we will starve to death on raw food.

One will not invalidate the other, it's more likely they will cross over, biotech solutions for artificial muscle and bone, but still needing that computer interface to let the limb work.

i will watch it when i find the time for it (if i watch, then all of it of course), i promise

I think that is a profoundly stupid documentary.

You seem to think the medical experts that would actually design something to enhance the strength of the arm are totally ignorant of anatomy and wouldn't enhance surrounding the bone and muscle as needed.
I think your arguments are FAR more valid for cyberware, as it assumes you can just replace a meat arm with a cyber one.

Thing of the schisms between transhumanists that will occur when there is the choice between genetic modifications, or full on cyberization of the body.

Heh, what if both are viable in tandem, and we become meaty super human torsos, with cyberbrains, and limbs.

I also don't currently have the time for an hour long documentary, but as always, we have been warned a lot about what eugenics are: selecting the genes prior to birth in order to create a better human being. There are a lot of ethical problems around that: how do we determine what genes are better, wouldn't that give an unfair edge to the powerful, will that equate the genocide of entire races, peoples and genepools? Maybe it could be used in order to avoid genetic illnesses or disabilities, but how exactly would that work? The issue of abortion or euthanasia in order to spare children or older people a life with a degenerative or other condition is still very touchy. Sure, it seems like eugenics or gene therapy would avoid having to do this in most cases but... it's still experimentation with unborn children. We don't know, for example, if these procedures would have unwanted and dramatic results like early degeneration of the DNA, etc.

Both should be included. Some drawback should be added to cybergraft. You cant just force player to build every character the same, with cyber arms and legs.
Bio-engineered aka lab-grow meat arm, with adamantium laced bones and retractable claw.

Top Bottom