Dagger Dealer / Knife Throw - Can't retrieve?

+
It would be awesome if we could at least get some clarification if this whole issue is by design or a bug... so we know if we have to wait for a patch or a mod.

I agree 100%. I know there are a lot of bugs that are being worked on but please put this one on a roadmap for a fix in the future. I love the throwing knife option but it is rough not being able to retrieve the knives. On top of that to craft knives you have to get you tech skill up. But that is not always something I want to be forced to do in a build.

Please fix this, how can I lose a knife after throwing it, and hitting an enemy with it? o_O
The perk is so useless until you carry a butcher shop full of knifes...

I didn’t mind that you lose knives after throwing. It’s little silly, sure, but I always just hoarded every knife I found and had plenty at all points.

Annoying thing is how you have to manually equip knife every time. It’s very clumsy and breaks the flow of the game.
It would be nice if it would automatically equip a new knife after throwing.

I'll also bump this. My build is pretty much dead in the womb with this situation.

Yup, I have a blades build. We need some kind of cheap/easy to make throwing knives that we can slot instead of grenades, or better yet, since it's a purchased skill, let us have a quickslot just for that.

I focused on using Common Knives only so far for throwing and they are working like dream (one shot one kill most of the time with headshot crits).
Only issue is to get them in sufficient amount, so I thought of crafting... but there are no Common Knife/Uncommon Knife receipes anywhere. Meh.

There is a workaround though - get debugging/game console working and type command: Game.AddToInventory("Items.CommonKnifeRecipe", 1).

I’m more curious about whether or not this is even is a bug or an actual, intentional design choice of theirs. Maybe the idea was to push crafting or something by forcing you to require more than a single knife.

I’m more curious about whether or not this is even is a bug or an actual, intentional design choice of theirs. Maybe the idea was to push crafting or something by forcing you to require more than a single knife.

Yeah, that's why I said earlier that it would be really great to at least get some clarification on this. I don't agree with the mechanic as it currently is anyway, but I'd like to know if I have to wait for a patch or a mod to fix it...

Why do you need clarification, you throw a knife and you find a bloodied knife junk item on bodies, seems pretty clear to me.
It is probably so you make a kill or two like that. Otherwise you can just craft a ton of white knives for throwing and play Danny Tejo from Desperados :)

Not being able to recover knives is a BIG oversight. Surely it wasn't made on purpose. I just hope this gets fixed quickly. I like the game, I've been waiting for it FIVE years, but it's hard to defend in its current state. The bugs, the textures and the crashes don't help, now this and things like not being able to look at what clothes look like before buying them, hostages not running away once you've taken care of the gangsters holding them etc... That's a lot for a game that was supposed to push the boundaries. Right now we have to bare through and ignore lots of stuff to have fun.

Why do you need clarification, you throw a knife and you find a bloodied knife junk item on bodies, seems pretty clear to me.
It is probably so you make a kill or two like that. Otherwise you can just craft a ton of white knives for throwing and play Danny Tejo from Desperados :)

I've found a bloody knife about twice, though, and have been killing with thrown knives fairly regularly (though less so since I upgraded my deck and quickhacks).

i can also not counter attack with dagger,
even without the perk...

its also okay that we can not retrieve the dagger
could we then have a green dagger to craft from the start? a blue one is a little too expensive...

For anybody else that's as irked by this as I've been, there is the Enhanced Throwing Knives mod available on PC, available in two flavours; one which keeps the knife in weapon slot after throwing and one flavour which removes it, but allows you to recover the knife once it lands.

Knife throwing system wasn't liveable for me prior to having installed this mod; no point in upgrading knives or using any knives beyond common quality, given that you'd be throwing them away in the vanilla game.

Last edited:
I think the most annoying/disappointing thing about it is that you have to manually equip them one at a time. It's tedious.

Knives could possibly make use of the granade slot instead, and so long as there's knives in inventory, you could choose to throw knives instead of granades. At least any knife that is not equipped to any other quick slot as "stabby" knife...

Of course they should be retreivable too. Current system doesn't make sense at all, and is just waste of skillpoint

Last edited:
I think the most annoying/disappointing thing about it is that you have to manually equip them one at a time. It's tedious.

Knives could possibly make use of the granade slot instead, and so long as there's knives in inventory, you could choose to throw knives instead of granades. At least any knife that is not equipped to any other quick slot as "stabby" knife...

Of course they should be retreivable too. Current system doesn't make sense at all, and is just waste of skillpoint
its pretty strong and fun, if you invest in it. I usually equip two at a time. I wouldn't object to more qol stuff, but I'm glad its an option

Top Bottom