Dagon OP?

+
Dagon OP?

dagon everywhere at 4000mmr, back to 3grifins,3clears,3waterhags, still need more :)
i think dagon should be 4value cuz my eredin its not always good when i dont have hounds on hand
but dagon can allways pull a horde of foglets

I don't think Dagon is OP at all especially with weather nerfed how it is, if anything he was a bit OP before the patch when fog could make for massive power swings.

it just surprises me that you are playing an eredin deck at 4k MMR . I dropped my ereding deck the moment this patch started as it was not viable for me anymore.

Now back to topic, Dagon is everywhere. A tier 1 deck for sure but beatable. i noticed that if he reaches round 3 with a minimum number of cards he loses. They usually rely on spamming the boards with lots of units and using triss+ potions to buff them. In round 3 they cannot do that unless they had a short round 1 and 2 .

Dagon is not OP, not by a long shot. He is just being used in two very popular archetypes at the 4K range. Those archetypes have a good synergy with Dagon. That's all. Also, the lack of other choices, kinda forces players to choose Dagon. Both swarm and foglet decks want to have that extra weather effect.

The success of Monster decks atm has actually little to do with their leaders.
The latest hotfix simply made some monster strategies more viable. That's all.

Dagon has already been nerfed more than enough.

supafreaky;n9130290 said:
Gotta love weather spammers. apparently it wasn't nerfed enough

The top deck is not a weather deck. It is a swarm deck, which is OP because of the weather nerf. The only effective counter to this deck is actually Rain because it is the least shittiest of all bronze weathers. Further nerfing weather and Dagon will be unstoppable.

Michelazz;n9129540 said:
it just surprises me that you are playing an eredin deck at 4k MMR . I dropped my ereding deck the moment this patch started as it was not viable for me anymore.

played enough consume in closed beta, i just like how draug destroys behemonts,elementals,dragoons. if i could replace carantir with bloody baron my deck would be great

wildkeny;n9136150 said:
The top deck is not a weather deck. It is a swarm deck, which is OP because of the weather nerf. The only effective counter to this deck is actually Rain because it is the least shittiest of all bronze weathers. Further nerfing weather and Dagon will be unstoppable.

I'm not at the higher ranks so I'll take your word for it. However the OP suggested he needed to go back to 3 griffs, 3 clears, and 3 water hags. those are all anti weather cards so I assumed his problem was with weather spamming. I stand corrected.

You're talking about woodland spirit? If you consider that OP I'm surprised you haven't rage quitted over every single other gold in the game

supafreaky;n9145510 said:
You're talking about woodland spirit? If you consider that OP I'm surprised you haven't rage quitted over every single other gold in the game

If you talking to me you are doing it wrong. My reply was addressed to the OP.

P.S. Today someone's gonna learn the meaning of sarcasm.

supafreaky;n9143960 said:
I'm not at the higher ranks so I'll take your word for it. However the OP suggested he needed to go back to 3 griffs, 3 clears, and 3 water hags. those are all anti weather cards so I assumed his problem was with weather spamming. I stand corrected.

The only deck that spams weather around 3k-4k MMR is the Radovid control deck (it uses RNR and three bronze weathers usually Frost), not even a monster deck. I don't have any weather clear units except the mage in my deck and I can counter Radovid control just fine. Since Frost and Fog only damage one unit at a time in a single row, the strategy to play around weather is very simple - stacking your units in the weather row. Most of the time I don't even use my mage to clear weather unless I don't have other card to extend the round.

Last edited:
If you dont clear fog it will use nekerwariors to make more foglets which is deadly with triss butt

Pruny;n9145910 said:
If you dont clear fog it will use nekerwariors to make more foglets which is deadly with triss butt

Same can be said to Queensguard. Foglets are just worse version of Queensguard. And you cannot clear QG using Lacerate.

Guest 4157120

Dagon was probably much more OP in Close Beta where he was able to use Clear Skies and Summon random bronze unit. Right now he's just OK but weather is right now much better because noone is playing clear skies etc.

wildkeny;n9150780 said:
Same can be said to Queensguard. Foglets are just worse version of Queensguard. And you cannot clear QG using Lacerate.

You can't counter it with a single lacerate, its simply not possible. Dagon's strength is here (ironically) because by nerfing the weather effects it made token gameplay more powerful. Nobody does tokens like Monsters...

A monster player is likely to have up to 5 sources of fog (almost certainly 5 if they're running straight foglet spam with nekker warriors): fog x3, Dagon, Woodland Spirit. So if you were to tech in enough to completely counter this you're talking about 3 clear skies (counters fog x3) and 3 lacerates (one for dagon, two for Wood Spirit), which then still leaves you to deal with earth elemental x3 and celaeno harpy x3. You're never going to have enough locks (Auckes, a single faction silver card can counter one harpy) to deal with all of that, so if you are going to run shackles you may as well shackle Butt, which still leaves Yen on the board. The answer is that you can't simply counter it all. I really wish Vabjorn would have like a timer or something on units less than 2 even if they're not weakened, because he'd go from a super fun meme deck (it is fun!), to an actual awesome counter to token gameplay.

I'm not saying the matchup is unconquerable, but you can't just run enough tech counters without significantly weakening your own deck. Personally I usually run my silver mage (in many factions they have secondary uses) and 1-2 lacerates. This is enough to make it to where my own power won't be completely dominated in all rounds.

Dagon is not at all OP. His ability is just a worse version of playing Eredin and choosing a Hound. The power comes the deck, not the leader.

Top Bottom