Dammit, I just drove the Basilisk, and (unspoilers)

+
I just drove the Basilisk, and it has steering that works!

Unlike every other useless undriveable vehicle in this game, you can actually steer it and make it go where you intended to go! What the absolute hell? Cars are the worst bug in this game -- totally unusable, really spoil the experience.

I had assumed that what was fundamentally wrong with the game was that they'd built the car driving system on top of the old Witcher III boat code -- that cars were basically just Witcher boats with new chrome -- and that they hadn't had time to fix it. Or, more probably, they'd just fixed it for game controllers and just not bothered for people who use keyboard and mouse.

But no. The Basilisk, just exactly ONE vehicle in the whole game, which you get to drive (as far as I know) for just one mission, has a proper, fully functioning, usable system of steering. You can actually drive the thing.

Guys, guys, you have to fix the cars.

JagoA

Forum regular
There's no "steering" for the basilisk because there is no steer lol. It's a hovercraft that for some reason turns in what I would say is actually unrealistically fast. Although I'm not sure why you would want the cars to steer like the basilisk, if you want to have better car mechanics and dont mind modding nexusmods has a pretty popular one currently

There's no "steering" for the basilisk because there is no steer lol. It's a hovercraft that for some reason turns in what I would say is actually unrealistically fast. Although I'm not sure why you would want the cars to steer like the basilisk, if you want to have better car mechanics and dont mind modding nexusmods has a pretty popular one currently

I love how people complain about things they can fix with a free mod, that's easily available.
It's like having hands but breaking down in tears because you have to use them to pick upyour sippy cup to drink. :D

Look, cars in Cyberpunk (at least if you use keyboard and mouse) have three steering positions: full lock left, dead centre, and full lock right -- exactly as Witcher III boats did. Tweeking the inputUserMappings file doesn't change that, it only changes the angle of full lock.

Real world cars don't steer like that, and there's a good reason for it. If you put a real car to full lock at highway speeds, you will crash. Which is 90% of why Cyberpunk cars are so completely broken.

The Basilisk does have steering. It not only has steering, it has steering that is analogue: you can choose whether to turn just a small amount, or a large amount. And -- allowing for the fact that it is a hovertank, and therefore momentum gives it some sideways drift, it goes where you point it. Of course, if you turn too sharply, you'll drift quite a bit. Which is exactly how a real car behaves, until it loses traction altogether and spins.

But overall, the driving behaviour of the Basilisk is much better -- and much more like a real world car -- than any other vehicle in the game.

I love how people complain about things they can fix with a free mod, that's easily available.
It's like having hands but breaking down in tears because you have to use them to pick upyour sippy cup to drink. :D

That's the wrong mindset.

First in a polished and finished game you should not have to solve such "simple" problems via a community mod.

Second, people on consoles don't have access to these mods as far as I am aware. What should they do in you humble opinion? Just don't play on consoles? (I am on PC, but sympathize with my fellow gamers)

CDPR boasted themselves with Quality and "when's ready", delayed to "polish" the game and that is the best and proud end product?

I don't accept that.

That's not okay.

Happy that you find it enjoyable and are resourceful enough to solve occuring problems yourself.

I myself had to modify my game to make it enjoyable, but that should not be the standard of any finished product.

JagoA

Forum regular
Look, cars in Cyberpunk (at least if you use keyboard and mouse) have three steering positions: full lock left, dead centre, and full lock right -- exactly as Witcher III boats did. Tweeking the inputUserMappings file doesn't change that, it only changes the angle of full lock.

Real world cars don't steer like that, and there's a good reason for it. If you put a real car to full lock at highway speeds, you will crash. Which is 90% of why Cyberpunk cars are so completely broken.

The Basilisk does have steering. It not only has steering, it has steering that is analogue: you can choose whether to turn just a small amount, or a large amount. And -- allowing for the fact that it is a hovertank, and therefore momentum gives it some sideways drift, it goes where you point it. Of course, if you turn too sharply, you'll drift quite a bit. Which is exactly how a real car behaves, until it loses traction altogether and spins.

But overall, the driving behaviour of the Basilisk is much better -- and much more like a real world car -- than any other vehicle in the game.

Your issue with non analog steering is an issue with every pc driving being played with keyboard and mouse. That's why personally I would recommend to switch to a controller everytime you drive.

The issue with steer by mouse is that people often want to look around while driving while not necessarily wanting to turn in that direction also (this is currently an issue when driving the basilisk btw, try it, no matter if you are in 1st person or third person you can't view the front of the basilisk because it would turn with your mouse.) Also I disagree about it driving like a real world car.
1) cars cant strafe,
2) cars steer by its 2 front wheels turning, then a torque push from usually the rear wheels.

in essence completely a different mechanic than what we have in the hovercraft, where we can essentially rotate 360 from its center axis similar to a tank with free rotating treads.

First in a polished and finished game you should not have to solve such "simple" problems via a community mod.

Second, people on consoles don't have access to these mods as far as I am aware. What should they do in you humble opinion? Just don't play on consoles? (I am on PC, but sympathize with my fellow gamers)

CDPR boasted themselves with Quality and "when's ready", delayed to "polish" the game and that is the best and proud end product?

I don't accept that.

That's not okay.

Happy that you find it enjoyable and are resourceful enough to solve occuring problems yourself.

I myself had to modify my game to make it enjoyable, but that should not be the standard of any finished product.

While I agree that the mindset of relying on modding to cover for developers is a bad mindset. Driving mechanics is something that I would say is something that no matter what you do a portion of the playerbase will always dislike it (especially in a non simulator like cpunk77). So I would give this specific issue a slack for the developers.

I've been driving literally everywhere (no quick travel) and while it is sometimes clunky, it is in no way broken.

It isn't perfect but I am not playing CP2077 as a driving simulator...

I never drive car in real . even this country aollow us have driver licsen . but Its hard for me anyway . and There is no car is aollow me to drive .even this house have too many car even hammer .

well I drive many vehnicel in my 2nd life in many world. car tank helo or even fighter jet :0 in many battle fps game. I got
medal from it too . like AH64 from battle field and

I not see anything wrong on a car in here :/

I never play drive simulator game. or racer car game. But car in here is good. You talk about steering and emm .
Its already perfect . I not feel anything different from any vehnicle is I drive before in another world

cheer

I play on Xbox but I have read experiences from those who play on PC with keyboard and mouse and wondered if this was a matter of steering lock.

I do hope people who know how to pin these down would express things like this. I know there were very fast players in Forza Horizon 4 for example, who use keyboard exclusively. What puts us console players in difficult position, unable to contribute, is that we can't make our own tests. Adjusting steering lock for keyboard input, perhaps have some other parameters there as well, might help people playing on keyboard a lot. I can't test it, but for me this makes sense. Good that you posted about this. (y)

I don't accept that.

That's not okay.

NO
It's not the wrong mindset.

Your mindset is the N00b mindset.
Where have you been with almost every release of every game since like 2000?

Did you buy Skyrim right out the gates as soon as it launched? Buggy as hell. ... and did the devs EVER patch the game to include the civil war battles between the Imperials and Stormcloaks? ... or was that just left of to the modders to do? hmm.
Skyrim was so broken, the best part of it was the Mods support ... yet, it's now one of the most beloved games.

Did you Buy The Witcher 3 as soon as it came out? Buggy as hell. CDPR even makes fun of itself and the Roach bug with a sticker on your very first car in CP77; a sticker with a horse running around with its rear up in the air.

Have you been watching ... ANY gaming news, or buy ANY games that just came out the gates?
How about Assasin's Creed Valhalla, and the fun little circle dance some fighters get stuck doing?

Lawd n00bs these days buying games right on release and 'specting them to be all come to Jesus perfect or something. lulz.

Top Bottom