Dandelion development overpowered?

+
Dandelion development overpowered?

Dandelion development seems overpowered. (TR037)

As you can apply multiple bribes to a single card, *and use each card multiple times* in a single battle, it is nearly impossible for Dandelion to ever lose a fight if he has spent a few rounds building up.

Worse, since he need only pay for his x3 attack and x2 defence cards and use them as often as needed, he can save money by never even bothering with his x2 attack and x1 defence ones (or Shani).

I can see the point of allowing multiple charges on the cards (saving micro-management during the turns), but should it be possible to use a card more than once in a single battle? I'd suggest that it makes no sense, as we are paying for people to fight alongside us... paying them twice doesn't produce a clone.

All characters can spend turns to develop and charge up their dev cards; as a result, being able to take down the likes of Striga without so much a scratch. Investing that time sets you back in gathering leads and may turn out to be unnecessary—particularly if you get an abundance of dev cards through investigations and quest completions later on.

I don't think Dandy's dev cards are so overpowered that, for example, I would say he's better than Geralt. There are certain aspects offset Dandy's flexibility with gold charging his dev cards. He only begins with 1 gold, whereas other characters have 3-6 gold. The purple deck, Dandy's main deck, has a couple of cards with additional negative consequences specific to Dandy. Some of which will spends Dandy's gold away(mainly why I normally spend Dandy's gold quickly; so as to avoid purple investigation cards or monsters taking it). And like Triss, he only gets one character specific die; whereas Yarpen's 1 is much better and Geralt has 3.

Regarding being able to use his friends multiple times in battle. They're essentially mercenaries under the influence of gold and because of that drive, I don't think it's unreasonable that they would perform better if you give them more gold.

All characters can spend turns to develop and charge up their dev cards; as a result, being able to take down the likes of Striga without so much a scratch. Investing that time sets you back in gathering leads and may turn out to be unnecessary—particularly if you get an abundance of dev cards through investigations and quest completions later on.

I don't think Dandy's dev cards are so overpowered that, for example, I would say he's better than Geralt. There are certain aspects offset Dandy's flexibility with gold charging his dev cards. He only begins with 1 gold, whereas other characters have 3-6 gold. The purple deck, Dandy's main deck, has a couple of cards with additional negative consequences specific to Dandy. Some of which will spends Dandy's gold away(mainly why I normally spend Dandy's gold quickly; so as to avoid purple investigation cards or monsters taking it). And like Triss, he only gets one character specific die; whereas Yarpen's 1 is much better and Geralt has 3.

Regarding being able to use his friends multiple times in battle. They're essentially mercenaries under the influence of gold and because of that drive, I don't think it's unreasonable that they would perform better if you give them more gold.

... while Geralt is only capable of using his (uncharged) abilities once in each fight, the rest can concentrate development on their most powerful single action and use this multiple times to accomplish their task. I'd say that this seems unintended (and at least 'wrong flavoured').

The same would apply to Yarpen and his Gvalchir (?) - either you use it during a fight or you don't... it seems odd that deciding to use it twice in a battle is possible. I haven't played with either Yarpen or Triss yet since I figured out how to play the game effectively, but it is likely that this multiple uses makes as little sense for them (given the entire range of options/skills, and how useless some are compared to the best)...

I usually play with the Dandelion character, and although it would make him less powerful, I would prefer that each of his skills could be used only once in each fight. That change would give you an incentive for spending coins to bribe the less powerful skills, that now you ignore if you have available a more powerful skill.

Let's say I have a skill that gives me +2 Sword icons, and another that gives me +1 Sword icons. Currently, I will only spend coins in bribing the first skill, because I can use it repeteadly in a fight. But If I couldn't use a skill more than one time in each fight, bribing both skills would become a much better option, because with bribing just one, I could only modify a combat roll by +2 Sword icons, while bribing both skills, I could modify it by +3 Sword icons.

Last edited:
I usually play with the Dandelion character, and although it would make him less powerful, I would prefer that each of his skills could be used only once in each fight. That change would give you an incentive for spending coins to bribe the less powerful skills, that now you ignore if you have available a more powerful skill.

Yes, this.
It's more appropriate - thematically and mechanically.
--

Top Bottom