Dandelion you're full of ******!..Some questions

+
Dandelion you're full of ******!..Some questions

1. After Dandelion explains to Zoltan the cause of the occasion (where Geralt, Dandelion and Zoltan went drinking after Geralt completed the Source quest) mentioning the dissonances and Geralt was at the edge of a decision. Geralt tells that ( the heading) to Dandelion. As not being a native English speaker, I couldn't understand what it really means. Is he picking on Dandelion because of the way he explains the occasion to Zoltan or does he express Dandelion's intellectual side and imply he knows a lot?2. After you give Alvin to Triss as you know you can talk to Alvin. Once he said "when I grow up I'll have a ponytail too", or something other thing that implies Geralt has a ponytail. That got me thinking. I know in some TV adaptations and comic series he has a ponytail but was he depicted to have one in any of Sapkowski's books? And maybe devs made a ponytailed Geralt for the first game as well and then changed it but forgot to remove that line of Alvin?
Note: If you can't see what's written in the spoiler box because it's too small even after you open it, try to copy and paste it somewhere else to read it.

2. Are you sure? I'm positive it was ponytail. I'll try to check the wiki and game dialogues through Djinni though I don't know if I could find since it wasn't a real dialogue. He said it randomly when I was wandering in the ground floor of Triss' house without trying to talk to him.

I can second this; it's definitely ponytail. I remember wondering the same thing, and a friend of mine who was watching me play the game at the time also added "Huh? You don't even have a ponytail..."

It would make sense if Geralt had his hair tied back in a "warriors knot" as it were. If I had long hair, the last thing I would want in the middle of a fight was to have it get in my eyes. It is also something to grab hold of. odds are good he was given his current look for appearances, but they forgot to take the line out of Alvin's script.

Scani

Forum veteran
It's bug in the translation. In polish for "pony" and "ponytail" we've got one word: "kucyk" that covers both meanings. Someone simply translated that out of context.

Scani said:
It's bug in the translation. In polish for "pony" and "ponytail" we've got one word: "kucyk" that covers both meanings. Someone simply translated that out of context.
Ah, localization never occurred to me. They did so good with it that it never occurred to me at all. Makes sense now.

I believe the "ponytail" problem is more the result of a change in Geralt's character model. If I'm not mistaken, at some point in development he sported a hairstyle similar to the one he currently has in TW2 (which is possibly a reference to Geralt's look in the 90's comic books. WEIRDOUT WARNING: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071130183901/witcher/images/7/75/Komiks_Geralt_okladka.jpg)

Kodaemon said:
I believe the "ponytail" problem is more the result of a change in Geralt's character model. If I'm not mistaken, at some point in development he sported a hairstyle similar to the one he currently has in TW2 (which is possibly a reference to Geralt's look in the 90's comic books. WEIRDOUT WARNING: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20071130183901/witcher/images/7/75/Komiks_Geralt_okladka.jpg)
I agree. Why would Alvin want a pony when he grew up anyway? That's creepy xD

Well... while that cover illustration of Geralt really is definately unflattering: I think I would stop short of calling it "disturbing".One note on that illustration: It appears that, in this photo, that Geralt sports a kind of diverted mullet. A sort of combination mullet/headhunter kind of hairdo.Not a good style, for him, at all.Also: notably fewer women would fall for that, I should think.Personally, I very much like his loose, behind-the-ears, filthy white hair . . . although personally I wouldn't've made the back so long, but that's just me.Sure, it's impractical. It gets in the way in a heated battle. Forget about people pulling on your hair: long hair was common in earlier days.One thing among many things I've never understood in RPG's (it's always the same, in every single RPG): while he never washes his hair and so on and so forth: he nevertheless maintains a razor-sharp shave. No matter how many nights he's spent in the Swamp.One particular feature I liked in the original NwN, for example (one of the scarce, scace few that beats out the sequel), is that at some point people start commenting on how you smell. "What a stench!", and that sort of thing. Spiderweb's Avernum does the same thing: "What's that smell?"It gives you a sense of things, a little dose of reality where, for better or worse, there's precious little sense of reality.Now: about Alvin.In the English translation (can't speak for the Polish or French or any other): he asks for a dog. This obviously makes complete sense. Girls are stereotyped to want ponies. Boys go for dogs. For Alvin especially: a dog would be a suitable childhood companion, especially for children like Alvin who are outcasts, and especially with an aloof, arrogant, self-absorbed and most-of all manipulative mother like Triss) which is why I had Geralt promise to get him a dog "someday".It doesn't matter that these little comments don't have game-based consequences. What we think and feel makes a great difference, at least with well-written story-based and character-based games.There's no mention of ponytails in the English version of the game. If they did the Polish translation first: maybe they fixed this by the time they did the English translation. ...Or maybe it was fixed in one of the patches. (I have the new "enhanced" edition, so I can't comment on the past.)

First, what you answer to Alvin has in-game consequences. Keep that in mind. Even it's some silly pleas of Alvin. He wants a dog, for sure. We know it. He doesn't tell he wants a ponytail when you talk to him. You know people in the streets sometimes speak when you're passing by them and you can also read what they say above their head when Geralt isn't talking to them. That's the exact case with Alvin when he says he wants a ponytail.

e-ahmet said:
First, what you answer to Alvin has in-game consequences. Keep that in mind. Even it's some silly pleas of Alvin. He wants a dog, for sure. We know it. He doesn't tell he wants a ponytail when you talk to him. You know people in the streets sometimes speak when you're passing by them and you can also read what they say above their head when Geralt isn't talking to them. That's the exact case with Alvin when he says he wants a ponytail.
Agreed as my EE version does the same in Chapter 1
Also if you give Alvin to Shani he does get a dog in Murky Waters also notice the dog at the end of the chapter when your sailing off to Vizima(breaks my heart)

tommy5761 said:
Agreed as my EE version does the same in Chapter 1
Also if you give Alvin to Shani he does get a dog in Murky Waters also notice the dog at the end of the chapter when your sailing off to Vizima(breaks my heart)
Yeah. I like how Shani mothers Alvin better than Triss :)

e-ahmet said:
First, what you answer to Alvin has in-game consequences. Keep that in mind. Even it's some silly pleas of Alvin.
I know, but only in regard to whether he's being strict, lenient, or in-between . . . which affects how Triss or Shani (depending on whom you chose) reacts to your style of parenting, whether they approve or disapprove. (I don't like how Triss wants me to be more strict with him, sigh... .) But I was talking about the question itself, and all other questions: the only thing that matters, game-wise, is whether the answer is strict, lenient, or in-between.
He wants a dog, for sure. We know it. He doesn't tell he wants a ponytail when you talk to him. You know people in the streets sometimes speak when you're passing by them and you can also read what they say above their head when Geralt isn't talking to them. That's the exact case with Alvin when he says he wants a ponytail.
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're saying you're just assuming he wants a ponytail the way one assumes that Leuvaarden looks down on Geralt and thinks demeaning things about him, I'm not sure where you get that assumption. Also, if he wants a ponytail one would assume he'd grow one -- it's be a classic way of testing your guardians' boundaries -- it's not something that Geralt can simply give to him... but more to the point: why a ponytail? It's certainly not because Geralt (whom he seems to idolize) has one -- since Geralt doesn't.

Evnissyen said:
I'm not sure what you mean. If you're saying you're just assuming he wants a ponytail the way one assumes that Leuvaarden looks down on Geralt and thinks demeaning things about him, I'm not sure where you get that assumption. Also, if he wants a ponytail one would assume he'd grow one -- it's be a classic way of testing your guardians' boundaries -- it's not something that Geralt can simply give to him... but more to the point: why a ponytail?
Good God! :) He doesn't want it from Geralt he just says it. You may haven't read the Spoiler in the first post that's why you don't understand maybe.
Evnissyen said:
It's certainly not because Geralt (whom he seems to idolize) has one -- since Geralt doesn't.
That's the whole point of this thread actually. Check the spoiler in the first post.

Ah... I see, now that I look at the spoiler.Odd. I haven't seen/heard Alvin say that yet, only things like "When I grow up I'm gonna be a witcher" or "Going to market tomorrow" . . . or if you've said something strict: "I don't like you, or Triss!"Maybe it's just not in the English version . . . well, maybe I'll find out, over time.

I have the EE version and I don't know if it matters but Alvin told me both.I gave him to Triss and in the third chapter in the trade quarter (I think it was then, not a hundred percent sure of the exact time) he asked me for a dog. Later in the game I didn't have the option for Alvin to get a dog, so I guess that's reserved for the version with Shani.Now about the ponytail. Once he told me that when he grows up, he'll have a ponytail too. I don't remember when was that exactly but I think it was somewhere in the fields in the fourth chapter.My guess is that he wants to imitate Geralt as he is awed by him, so although Geralt doesn't have a ponytail, Alvin reffered to his haircut. We can see in the link by e-ahmet that Geralt's haircut sometimes includes a ponytail.I don't see why would Alvin want a pony. OK, he is a kid, and he may want a million things but if he already wants a dog as his pet, why a pony too? And btw. if he said "When I grow up I want a pony/ponytail too" the TOO indicates that someone else, probably Geralt already has that which he wants.

Top Bottom