Dark Mode difficulty thoughts?

+
Dark Mode difficulty thoughts?

Anybody playing on Dark Mode yet? How's the difficulty compared to Hard?

POSSIBLE MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

So CDProjekt did you actually play through Dark Mode at all before releasing it? At all? Because I'm at the part with the dragon in the very beginning and I've tried everything. It's not me... It's impossible. All the DLC Gear you insist we have puts us at half health at the very beginning and there's no time to regenerate. You have to kill the two guards in the first shelter but even if you wait for the King, Roche, and Triss to advance to the next Shelter the Dragon ALWAYS hits you (by the way, it's pretty fucking stupid to have the King, Roche, and Triss scripted to walk casually from shelter to shelter), its scripted to hit you at least once. However, because of the half-health thing the Dragon kills you instantly. I've tried Quen, I've tried using every in-combat buff I have. It's impossible. Next time actually test your patches before releasing them. I've spent an hour at this part and tried absolutely everything. It's just not possible on Dark Mode because of how much DMG the Dragon does, and there's nothing you can do to mitigate or avoid it.

Jaro0423 said:
Let the whining begin! I guess it's called Dark Mode for a reason....

Dark Mode does not equal impossible mode. Read the post before you reply please. I'm just stating that they need to revamp a few parts that are truly impossible without cheats. I played through the entire game three times on Hard Mode and never had this possible. I'm not a bad player. I absolutely adore a challenge, but I know when something is simply not possible at the moment. The Dragon does more Damage than you have total HP and there's no way to avoid it, its scripted to hit you at least once.

Oh yeah Dark Mode is SO hard.

Deal with it. People have played through that section on INSANE when it had 3 guards. You think it's meant to be easy?

Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. I'm sure they played the game on DM and it's possible to finish. I'm sure there's a way...

Jaro0423 said:
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. I'm sure they played the game on DM and it's possible to finish. I'm sure there's a way...

Dude, I know you didn't mean to sound harsh, I'm just frustrated, I've spent an hour trying this one part that has NEVER given me grief. There's no way to do it. I've used every buff. Put the 1 Armor Enhancement they give you on my Armor, echanted my swords with the +25 Vitality Buff, used the Sign Intenisty Rune on my sword. Kept Quen up, and nothing. The Dragon simply does more DMG than you have HP. I've rolled, tried to time it, it HAS to be scripted to have the dragon hit you. If you wait for your posse to casually walk from shelter to shelter it doesnt work, The incineration of the building hits you.

And to the other guy... I did this part on Insane no problem. It was challenging but possible. So I know what I'm talking about. Why don't you yourself try it before posting about what other people have done?

Mate, it's not scripted( i mean it is, but you got to be careful and time your moves), you wait for the dragon to go, put quen and pass to the other side, kill the two soldiers. I've done it on dark mode from the first try, it went really smooth, but yeah dark mode it's way thougher then hard, they are doing loads of damage, if you are hit from behind you are KIA. :D I died a few times during the prologue, which I haven't since the first time I played the game, so I guess that means something. I remember that I also said that the dragon part is impossible during my very first play of the game, died 20-30 times, then I figured out how to use the signs, put on quen and wait for the dragon to pass, and that was pretty much it. Never died there since. :p

So my advice is, take a break from the game, listen to some music, watch some football(Europa League tonight :D), or drink a beer get wasted and then try again, I guarantee it'll work. You just have to detach yourself a bit from that particular problem that's stuck on your mind. Works every time for me . :p

MyselfCosmin said:
Mate, it's not scripted( i mean it is, but you got to be careful and time your moves), you wait for the dragon to go, put quen and pass to the other side, kill the two soldiers. I've done it on dark mode from the first try, it went really smooth, but yeah dark mode it's way thougher then hard, they are doing loads of damage, if you are hit from behind you are KIA. :D I died a few times during the prologue, which I haven't since the first time I played the game, so I guess that means something. I remember that I also said that the dragon part is impossible during my very first play of the game, died 20-30 times, then I figured out how to use the signs, put on quen and wait for the dragon to pass, and that was pretty much it. Never died there since. :p

Thankfully, the dragon finally bugged on my millionth attempt and after the intitial attack (where it blows up part of the upper tower) it didnt attack all. The first shelter didn't even burn down, lol. I tried everything. Timing it, rolling, skirting the wall to the left. Quen helped and there were times when I survived the first attack with 1 HP but then the left-over Incineration downed me. Its scripted to hit you and it does more DMG than you have HP (or at least it seems because 1 breath kills you and I've not found any way to avoid being hit through 20+ attempts), even with investing my first talent into the +10 HP. Like I said, I love a challenge, and I think I'm going to like it becuase Insane/Hard Mode got old, neither were as difficult as this. So yah, hurray for a brief bug. All in all tho, I should have expected there to be minute balancing issues that need to be made.

And I know I'm not the only person having issues with this. Multiple people on my Counter-Strike Forums that have The Witcher 2 are having the exact problem I am right now.

Reaper004 said:
Thankfully, the dragon finally bugged on my millionth attempt and after the intitial attack (where it blows up part of the upper tower) it didnt attack all. The first shelter didn't even burn down, lol. I tried everything. Timing it, rolling, skirting the wall to the left. Quen helped and there were times when I survived the first attack with 1 HP but then the left-over Incineration downed me. Its scripted to hit you and it does more DMG than you have HP (or at least it seems because 1 breath kills you and I've not found any way to avoid being hit through 20+ attempts), even with investing my first talent into the +10 HP. Like I said, I love a challenge, and I think I'm going to like it becuase Insane/Hard Mode got old, neither were as difficult as this. So yah, hurray for a brief bug. All in all tho, I should have expected there to be minute balancing issues that need to be made.

And I know I'm not the only person having issues with this. Multiple people on my Counter-Strike Forums that have The Witcher 2 are having the exact problem I am right now.

Just FYI: The right moment to move from the first shelter to the second is when the dragon stops harrassing the first shelter and DIVES down along the wall to your left. After it comes up again, it'll fly up and down the battlement pouring fire - and I think you won't have a chance by then, at least I didn't figure another way out so far.
So, ignore your companions, from the end of the first shelter look for the dragon to your left and as soon as it dives run for the second shelter.

Yes, it'a a little bug, but all tou have to do to solve it is to stay back under first half of the wood protection, what for it to nerly burn, go to the second half and wait until the king tells you to protect, then you can pass safely.

like someone else already said time ur advance from first to second shelter
also took me 2 tries to figure that out but it certainly isnt a bug or impossible

back on topic the difficulty is just a little harder then hard i guess its kinda hard to compare when ur not doing them both at the same time.
gives me exactly the challenge i hoped it would give me although i woudnt mind an even harder difficulty (with saves)

CostinMoroianu said:
Oh yeah Dark Mode is SO hard.

Deal with it. People have played through that section on INSANE when it had 3 guards. You think it's meant to be easy?

Yup people will still continue to bitch instead of just try to get better ot lower the difficulty.

I honestly dont think that the dark mode is too difficult; actually I found myself checking the game settings a couple of times to see if this really is dark mode, I mean, the npcs still die as fast as they did before and so far it doesnt feel much different from the difficult mode. ok, the deal a bit more dmg but its still very well doable.

Regardless of difficulty since it's so early in the game and supplies and enchantments are extremely limited, the dragon shouldn't be able to kill you with 1 attack.

I managed to do it in a couple of tries on dark mode. Crossed with 1/4 my healthbar. I can definitely say it isn't bugged. Infact this time it gave me less trouble than my 1st playthrough. TO THE HOARDINGS !

Jonnecy said:
I honestly dont think that the dark mode is too difficult; actually I found myself checking the game settings a couple of times to see if this really is dark mode, I mean, the npcs still die as fast as they did before and so far it doesnt feel much different from the difficult mode. ok, the deal a bit more dmg but its still very well doable.
Same here. I've always played the game on normal difficulty up until now and I was afraid that Dark Mode will be a constant die -> load --> die --> load cycle for me, but I didn't die once in the prologue and the part with the dragon actually felt easier than before. The rest of the game remains to be seen, but I'm happy because it either means I'm better than I thought or that Dark mode is not that dark after all. I know I'm still going to swear a lot later, when the real challenges come. :)

In the arena, however, I always get slaughtered pretty early on hard difficulty. :D

Top Bottom