Dark Mode tips?

+
Dark Mode tips?

Ive beaten the game already and was wanting to play on Dark Mode. Any tips someone can give me that has already beaten the game on Dark Mode?

Yeah. Download the mod that erases the dark mode effect. Or if you really have a pair, skip the dark mode gear altogether.

The Dark Mode sets are very expensive in terms of gold and crafting ingredients. If you intend to make the Dark Mode sets then I suggest you look on the Wiki to see what each set requires. That way you can start collecting the items as soon as possible and not sell something that you will need later on :)

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mode

UndeadCreepshow said:
Ive beaten the game already and was wanting to play on Dark Mode. Any tips someone can give me that has already beaten the game on Dark Mode?

All safety tips that apply to easier modes become especially important in Dark Mode.

Never get surrounded. In Act I, even modest enemies like Drowners and Nekker Warriors will one-hit you if you let them get behind you.

Firepower is more important than armor. Because enemies hit so hard, you want to cut them down fast. Even though armor is proportionally less effective, resistances conferred by armor are still valuable. Parry, Riposte, and dodge rolls are defensive tactics you should know how to use well.

Anything that slows down your enemies becomes even more important. Aard (especially with level II, which you can get early), Yrden, Dancing Star bombs, and traps of all kinds. Enemies are still so stupid they will run the length of a line of Snares, hitting every one. Axii is not easy to cast when enemies are beating on you, but it is very effective in tilting a 2-on-1 or 3-on-1 battle in your favor.

Guy speaks the truth. I have one thing to add: Cast Quen, then use Axii. I know it seems obvious, but I'm just sayin'..

Aver

Forum veteran
slimgrin said:
Guy speaks the truth. I have one thing to add: Cast Quen, then use Axii. I know it seems obvious, but I'm just sayin'..

Quen sucks in Enhanced Edition :p At least according to patch notes.

Just finished one hell of a dark mode session in Arena right now, so I'll give you some strategies and tips. Dodging is an absolute must. Sometimes, I like to bounce off different enemies, striking them once and backing away to a different one. If you have bombs, please use them and try to upgrade bomb+trap damage in the Alchemy path. The upgrades that increase damage are phenomenal because you have access to all the herbs and can craft bombs in bulk. These are very useful for thinning out crowds and mowing through large groups. Traps are also useful, but I find their tactical value lacking because Geralt takes time to deploy them and often you won't have the chance to parry in enough time to save your health. Throw bomb, dodge if necessary, lay a couple of strikes and be ready to throw another few. My favorite bombs are Grapeshot and Dancing Star. These two will make you a killing machine if you gather enough herbs and buy a lot from markets.

Secondly, use your potions a lot, especially when you are at a low level venturing in the forests of Flotsam. I use a combination of Swallow, Golden Oriole, and Tawny Owl (for its vigor regeneration abilities) or Wolf for some critical effects that could potentially help. Try to invest a couple of points into the talent that increases the length of potion duration. It is very useful since you'll be somewhat protected from any attacks by poisonous monsters. Moreover, if you couple this with Quen, you can regenerate your health in the most dangerous of times (especially when you managed to get hit by Endrega Warrior or Nekker groups). Other potions that have some potential include: Rook (for the 10% damage dealt to all opponents) and Virga (a suitable replacement for Golden Oriole since you have the 20% armor bonus and increased defenses against incineration and bleeding)

Talking about Swordsmanship, gather enough ingredients and money to buy the Jagged Blade once you're in Act 1, as it deals the most damage to all human opponents. I like to parry a couple of times since Geralt's dodging abilities are at the lowest abilities when you first start out and mix in some Aard or Igni to deal small amounts of damage. This will give you some time to attack from the back and pull off some strong and fast attacks. But once you have points invested in dodging, parrying is almost never used since you can easily kite around enemies and lay killing blows most of the time. However, I will say that Scoiatel Swordsman and the Kingslayers in Arena are notoriously difficult because they parry SO much. In this case, I would parry and do a riposte, if you have the necessary points for it. Still, it's easier to dodge and use your bombs+signs to deal significant damage. You can also use Yrden to stun an enemy for a while, enough to land blows and prepare for the next maneuver.

One last thing! I also stress using the right oils against monsters that you have knowledge of. For example, I was having trouble with Melitele's Heart fight against the wraiths, since they take an obnoxious amount of hits to take them. I used Specter Oil to deal much more damage, in addition to the set of potions I usually take anyway, and could comfortably land strong blows to deal significant damage. Many times you're sword will deal so much damage that using oils is not necessary, though Whetstone does help to give your strikes a little more power. The earlier levels are frustrating if you don't use all these tools at your disposal, as I was at times.

Somebody mentioned using Quen+Axii and that is very useful, if you manage to use Axii before your Quen dies out. If you can control a big, armored guy, you can certainly make fights easier and more rewarding in the end.

Have fun!

Which path do you intend to play? If you're up for a challenge, play as a pure Alchemist. It's pretty awesome. You'll want armour which increases the bomb and/or trap damage dealt. I just spammed bombs at Letho in our first encounter, and had him down before he could even move. (EDIT: I might add, if you do play as a pure Alchemist or Mage, you may find difficulty removing Sabrina's curse, as that level removes the ability to use traps, bombs, and potions, and magic, and heavily relies on the skills of a swordsman, and afaik, armour and weapons as well.)

steelbom said:
(EDIT: I might add, if you do play as a pure Alchemist or Mage, you may find difficulty removing Sabrina's curse, as that level removes the ability to use traps, bombs, and potions, and magic, and heavily relies on the skills of a swordsman, and afaik, armour and weapons as well.)

Yeah, I definitely recommend putting a point into Riposte no matter what build you intend to make overall. That one section in Act 2 is so much less frustrating with Riposte.

slimgrin said:
Yeah. Download the mod that erases the dark mode effect. Or if you really have a pair, skip the dark mode gear altogether.

This. The dark mode effects are cool for about 2 minutes then you realize that they suck all of the beauty and color out of the game. The dark armor looks cool so I got all of it just to play the extra content, but it is really OP.

A side question--is the gameplay in dark harder than insane? I just beat the game on insane and I really cound't tell the difference. It would be cool if there was a dark difficulty mode with the one-death-and-you-are-done option.

Insane was in the game before the 2.0 update so i thought Dark Mode was supposed to be harder nstiver. I might be wrong as i haven't played either

Everybody always keeps arguing about whether or not dark is harder than insane. I think that dark is meant to be slightly harder, based on the things said by the devs at the time of the launch. However, as your own familiarity with the game tends to be a LOT more important than the actual stats, I don't think that most players actually see much difference.

Regarding permadeath and Dark, one of the reasons CDPR gave us Dark was because people wanted a "hardest" difficulty level that didn't include permadeath, so there may not be many takers for a permadeath version. Of course, there's nothing to stop you starting at the beginning again if you die. Make your own Insane Dark Mode version :)

I just beat the game in Dark Mode a few days ago. I'll try to give you some tips even when I had been very masochist that contradicts some of what I'm going to say (I like extra-challenges).

First of all, don't rush NEVER. When I say rush, I mean in completing the quests, in jumping over the enemies, in trying to beat the story soon and things like that. Take your time in completing outfits, having plenty of traps/bombs/daggers/potions/oils, better swords before going into important parts of the game and of the quests with decisive combats. You'll love patience.

Secondly, if the Dark Mode effects of the outfit bothers you a lot (believe me, in some moments it bothers a lot), put the mod that takes out those effect or use other outfits. They aren't that AWESOME anyway, and too expensive (in orens, time and materials) to make.

Another thing important is to have clear what's the character developement you want to do. Now that you know when are going to be the important combats, how the enemy fights and how you can more or less counter them, try always to not waste any skill point. If you want to endure more, don't spend too much points in health but in damage reduction then, but better to focus on damage, those with aggresive effects and then rely on your skills.

Finally, do every quest you can, not only for the experience points but also for the rewards like runes, special materials/ingredients and stuff like this. And, of course, explore every single place XD

One more thing is that maybe having at least three/four points of vigor will be helpful XD

Top Bottom