Dark Souls II

+
I don't care about graphics in a game like this.
In any case, I've seen better looking console games from last generation than the "demo footage with better textures allegedly running on PC".

I do care about AI more, and I heard the AI is terrible. Watched some vids too, and the IA looks like a disaster again indeed.
Improving or tweaking existing mechanics and design is a good thing. When, on the other hand, you're deliberately ignoring major flaws or didn't manage to correct that, you shouldn't develop a sequel.
I'll hold my judgement for now, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Simply imagine how perfect a Souls game could be with a proper AI...

Last edited:
The demo was likely running on PC Hardware. You can't expect high quality visuals from last gen consoles.

Yeah true, could be.

Though I'm not a fan of this kind of... misrepresentation of a product you're trying to sell. No matter who's doing it. Transparency is important when building trust with the consumer. I don't care about the graphical fidelity but ffs, don't lie to me. That's when I start caring about being deceived. Man. FromSoft. Why? Surely you're not cunts? So why act like ones?

Man. This makes me kinda depressed. Thanks for sharing this guys, it's important to be in the loop. Regarding everything.

I still have to wait a month and a half to be able to play the game. Then I'll see for myself. But damn. Hey, btw, everyone who got the game for consoles, I hope you're having fun :) Remember, conserve your stamina, be mindful of your surroundings and praise the motherfucking sun!

I don't care about graphics in a game like this.
In any case, I've seen better looking console games from last generation than the "demo footage with better textures allegedly running on PC".

I do care about AI more, and I heard the AI is terrible. Watched some vids too, and the IA looks like a disaster again indeed.
Improving or tweaking existing mechanics and design is a good thing. When, on the other hand, you're deliberately ignoring major flaws or didn't manage to correct that, you shouldn't develop a sequel.
I'll hold my judgement for now, but I'm prepared to be disappointed.

Simply imagine how perfect a Souls game could be with a proper AI...

Hm. I never thought that the AI in Dark Souls was "terrible". Fuck, the AI in Mindjack is fucking terrible. The AI in Dark Souls was serviceable. It never broke the game nor took me out of the experience.

From what I heard, the AI is supposedly better in the sequel. But I don't know. I'll see for my self. In about 2 bloody months grrr! My life is fucking worthless now! Sigh. Well, meanwhile I'll just do something. Like masturbate or learn how to cook fajitas.

Though I'm not a fan of this kind of... misrepresentation of a product you're trying to sell.

It's not really misrepresentation actually, that would be if they said the footage was from consoles when in fact journalists stated it ran on a PC.

It was mentioned by several news outlets that the demo, the very first one, was running on a PC, laptop actually, at 60 FPS.

Then there's supposed Trade Show demo where it supposedly ran on the PS3....except it has been that at trade shows games are run by on high end PCs.

I'll try not to spoil anything. The game is awesome. Obviously, graphically it is the same thing, but it does not really matter. The entire series is like a whole package of specific features, where people speak with closed mouths (if FromSoftware suddenly changes this, I'll probably freak out :) ), no facial animations whatsoever, and environments have this VERY old-school feel. But artistically the game is beautiful, some parts are simply insane.
It plays like a cross-breed of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. You can level up only with the girl, you can fast travel between bonfires, and the village plays a role of a Nexus. I like this a lot. It cuts all unnecessary back-tracking, but does not make things too easy. Not easier than in Demon's Souls anyway.
Weapons degrade very fast, and I always have at least two mele weapons equipped. Otherwise I have to return to a bonfire. Weapons are restored automatically, and for free (unless they are broken), which makes things a bit easier. Full repair is expensive though (about 750 souls for a broadsword).
Even though after several runs some enemies do not re-spawn, it is not really noticeable. After 4 hours only one guy disappeared so far, the rest are still there.
The game is made somewhat easier by an abundance of life gems, but it may look this way because I spent like 600 hours on Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. Here I did not die too much (only three times) until I met the first boss, whom I'll be killing today... and may be tomorrow... :)
Estus is one portion after you get a flask, and another one can be crafted right away, in the village. So the entire first territory is only with two flasks, and a crapload of gems, but they take more time to fill in the life bar. I did not try to play in on-line mode because I want to explore in peace for now.
Looks like DS2 will be my GOTY of 2014.Such a pity you, PC-guys, have to wait, but you will get better textures, high fps, and other things.

Dark Souls 2 reviews – all the scores
Dark Souls 2 reviews are now live, with From Software’s dark RPG sequel hitting very high notes across the board.
dark_souls_2

Dark Souls isn’t to everybody’s taste, but those who enjoy its punishing formula have clasped the sequel to their bosoms; just look at all those nines.

In addition to the reviews below Dave has kept a journal of his entire Dark Souls 2 playthrough, because he’s nuts. He’s put in crazy-hours and is ready to tell all.

All scores out of ten except where otherwise noted; feel free to add your own in the comments.

USGamer – 5/5
GameInformer – 9.75
Videogamer – 10/10
Ausgamers – 9.6/10
CVG – 10
Destructoid – 9
GodisaGeek – 10/10
Edge – 9/10
NowGamer – 9/10
OXM – 9
Gamespot – 9
Eurogamer Spain – 10/10
IGN – 9
Polygon – 9
Eurogamer – 9/10
GamesRadar – 4.5/5
The Escapist – 4.5/5
EGM – 8.5
OXM – 8
Kotaku – “Yes”

Dark Souls 2 hits PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on March 11 in North America and March 13 in Europe and beyond. The PC version is due at the end of April.
http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/11/dark-souls-2-reviews-all-the-scores-from-dranglaec/

1 Dark Souls 2 Review Roundup for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 Consoles
Dark Souls 2, an action role-playing game (RPG) from developer From Software and publisher Bandai Namco, was released on 11 March for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The PC version has been delayed for 25 March.

This game is about the protagonist finding a cure to his curse. He journeys inside the realm of Dranglaec, where souls help the undead fight the curse.
read more here : http://www.ibtimes.co.in/articles/543229/20140313/dark-souls-2-review-roundup-playstation-3.htm

2 'Dark Souls II' Graphics And Lighting Downgrade Sparks Controversy
Dark Souls II doesn’t look quite the way many gamers expected it would. If you take a look at the above video, you can see a gameplay comparison between early release footage and actual gameplay on the PS3.

Apparently both the side-by-side videos are of PS3 footage, and there’s no doubt that the lighting and textures (and backgrounds, etc.) in the earlier build look much prettier (though not necessarily better for this particular game.)
read more here : http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkai...cs-and-lighting-downgrade-sparks-controversy/

3 How to Make Dark Souls 2 Harder
http://www.ign.com/wikis/dark-souls-2/How_to_Make_Dark_Souls_2_Harder

4 Dark Souls 2 Australian, New Zealand online play coming later today
read more here :
http://www.vg247.com/2014/03/13/dark-souls-2-australian-new-zealand-online-play-coming-later-today/

That's quite the downgrade. So glad I didn't pre-order this one - I'll certainly not be purchasing anytime soon on principle (honestly, what a piss take).

Dark Souls 2 - walkthrough, boss guides and tactics, bonfire locations, strategies
From killing every boss to looting every last item, our complete walkthrough for Dark Souls 2 will help you out of even the tightest of spots.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-03-13-dark-souls-2-walkthrough-and-game-guide

Worried about Dark Souls 2 invasions? It's actually the least common cause of death
There's been 6.7m deaths in Dark Souls II at time of writing, and you won't believe how many people have been offed by falls.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/wo...the-least-common-cause-of-death/1100-6418310/

Games Inbox: Titanfall craziness, Dark Souls II next gen, and inFamous interview
http://metro.co.uk/2014/03/14/games...s-ii-next-gen-and-infamous-interview-4565736/

Dark Souls 2 Australian servers due 'late' Friday night
Online component to go live a day after launch
Dark Souls 2 will be without an online component for Australians until 8pm tonight, a local Bandai Namco representative has confirmed.

While the game launched yesterday in Australia and New Zealand, online play will not be available until late Friday night when the game is properly launched in European regions.
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...alian-servers-due-late-friday-night/?site=aus

Dark Souls 2 Achievements and Trophies Guide
http://segmentnext.com/2014/03/13/dark-souls-2-achievements-and-trophies-the-dark-soul-guide/

That's quite the downgrade. So glad I didn't pre-order this one - I'll certainly not be purchasing anytime soon on principle (honestly, what a piss take).

Suit yourself. If graphics that important to you, it is not like you really love this gaming formula anyway. DS series was never about graphics, and actually it already sort of became its feature. The game on 360 looks no worse than DS1, and to my eyes even a bit better.
I don't think they downgraded because they are mean people who are out to screw us. With so much action on a screen during boss battles it probably was a necessity. I prefer to have downgraded graphics and no fps dips during battles in certain areas, than some frigging unplayable eye-candy. People die enough as it is, and I can imagine an outrage if the game starts slowing down and people die because of slow reaction times.

Suit yourself. If graphics that important to you, it is not like you really love this gaming formula anyway. DS series was never about graphics, and actually it already sort of became its feature. The game on 360 looks no worse than DS1, and to my eyes even a bit better.

I don't think they downgraded because they are mean people who are out to screw us. With so much action on a screen during boss battles it probably was a necessity. I prefer to have downgraded graphics and no fps dips during battles in certain areas, than some frigging unplayable eye-candy. People die enough as it is, and I can imagine an outrage if the game starts slowing down and people die because of slow reaction times.

You don't know me. I could give two shits about graphics - my issue is with the blatant misrepresenting of videogames and the sycophants who would presume to tell me that it’s not a big deal.

I was fortunate enough to play DS2 at London Comic Con last year and came close to pre-ordering (as I was being encouraged to do) on the understanding that the game I was playing would be the game I was buying. That’s just not on!

You don't know me. I could give two shits about graphics - my issue is with the blatant misrepresenting of videogames and the sycophants who would presume to tell me that it’s not a big deal.

I was fortunate enough to play DS2 at London Comic Con last year and came close to pre-ordering (as I was being encouraged to do) on the understanding that the game I was playing would be the game I was buying. That’s just not on!

Well, it is obviously big deal for you, that's why you reacted this way. So, when the devs show something on early stages that later becomes not technically achievable for a game to run smoothly, and they choose to downgrade graphics in favor of unimpeded gameplay, they are bad people who misrepresented something? Isn't it sort of implied that it was an early footage and may not represent the finished game? Well, at least it is how I see all these trailers and such. But whatever.

Well, it is obviously big deal for you, that's why you reacted this way. So, when the devs show something on early stages that later becomes not technically achievable for a game to run smoothly, and they choose to downgrade graphics in favor of unimpeded gameplay, they are bad people who misrepresented something? Isn't it sort of implied that it was an early footage and may not represent the finished game? Well, at least it is how I see all these trailers and such. But whatever.

I never had you pegged as a Souls groupie vivaxardas. For shame.

Top Bottom