Dark Souls III

+
Dark Souls III

Oh me oh my the gloom, the GLOOOOM!

/JK. I'm happy it's coming to PC. I'll be checking it out. Some time this year I'll get around to finishing the first one.

Oh me oh my the gloom, the GLOOOOM!

/JK. I'm happy it's coming to PC. I'll be checking it out. Some time this year I'll get around to finishing the first one.
You and are I kinda going through the same personal gaming renaissance with our new computers, huh? I started DS1 in recent months.

At first I hated it, simple as that. Ignoring the fact that the PC port requires a lot of tweaking to make it playable and even then you take some time to understand what each button does (took me a while to realize that 'Esc' is actually the 'End' key, and I view item descriptions with 'Delete'), the game itself was a puzzle. I didn't understand what anything did, how to check items, what to level up, etc. So I died a lot, lost my Souls (=> XP \ Money) way too much, and I just ended up extremely frustrated with my playthrough after 10 hours. I seriously wasn't having any fun.

But then I gave it a second shot, overcoming my dignity and realizing that there's nothing wrong with using a guide if, fuck it, that's how I can have fun considering I can't pour countless hours to figure it out by myself - and I started to enjoy the game a lot. I think it's too much in love with how cryptic and vague it is, I dislike that aspect, but mechanically speaking it's terrific. I get why people love it so much.

Waiting for Scholars of the First Sin to have a good discount, and I'll get it too.

@EliHarel I'm in a similar situation. I bought Dark Souls 1 and stopped playing because of all the finicking I had to do. I tried downloading the unofficial patch made by the community, but the website was down because Namco Bandai issued a copyright claim against it. Yes --in a move of astonishing idiocy, Namco Bandai issued a DMCA against the website hosting the unofficial patch to fix the game they released in a broken state. One only has so many face palms, but I will happily give them all to Namco Bandai.
:facepalm:

That was many months ago, so I am sure the website is back up now. But I think I might wait until Scholars of the FIrst Sin to get into this series.

Last edited:
I would recommend everyone to play it with a controller, the game is completely tailored around it.

Also you can skip DS2 it's a step down in pretty much every way.

I would recommend everyone to play it with a controller, the game is completely tailored around it.

Also you can skip DS2 it's a step down in pretty much every way.
I'm actually having a perfectly fine time with M&K after downloading all those stuff I can't remember anymore. Though maybe having a 5-button mouse helps, since I don't need to stretch my left hand like a spider in order to do all the necessary actions. I have "Block" and "Parry" right there at my right hand, so everything's comfortable.

But then again, it is very possible I am Super Gamer, considering how often I read people complaining about TW2 and TW3's controls while they never bothered me.

I am the master of controls.

Also, what's wrong with DS2? What aspects were downgraded?

Considering how disconnected I am from the story, I don't think spoilers will bother me at all.

Are you finished with your playthru? I recommend just getting a guide for the story itself, ain't nobody got time to read all those item descriptions.

If you haven't finished ask yourself these questions.

1.Are people trying to manipulate me? is what they're saying true? (Are the tits real!?)
2.What about the legend of ringing the two bells and passing the all the trials, will it lift the curse or does it do something else?
3.What is the Dark Soul?
4.How does it behave compare to the other Lord Souls?
5.Is the Age of Fire worth preserving?

I recommend you talk to the other snake before you offer up the Lordvessel if you haven't already, there's also a secret boss near the elevator in Anor Londo.

that looks awful. no advancement or innovation from the past games. what is this the fifa strategy?

There is advancement, but somehow people expect a complete redesign of the entire game? I personally liked DS2 more then DS1, but that had a hell lot more to do with far better PC controls a better PC version.

I'm glad Myazaki is at the helm again, should make for a great game. Tell you what though, I'll be happy to talk about lack of innovation when any other RPG has a tenth of Dark Souls customization, gameplay variety, level variety, enemy/boss variety and awesome combat mechanics. Until that happens then it seems moot.

There is advancement, but somehow people expect a complete redesign of the entire game? I personally liked DS2 more then DS1, but that had a hell lot more to do with far better PC controls a better PC version.

I'm glad Myazaki is at the helm again, should make for a great game. Tell you what though, I'll be happy to talk about lack of innovation when any other RPG has a tenth of Dark Souls customization, gameplay variety, level variety, enemy/boss variety and awesome combat mechanics. Until that happens then it seems moot.

Souls Series are some of my favourite games of all time, but he definetely has a point. We have 4!!! games in 3!!! different franchises/IPs(Demon Souls/Dark Souls/Bloodborne), where the games are basically identical with not much more than Assasin's Creed variations. We have

1) Same leveling and almost the same stats
2) Almost identical combat and movesets with small variations(Bloodborne is faster, different way to handle backstabs etc.Minor things)
3) Identical checkpoint and respawn system
4) Identical way of story-telling(really cryptic, and some what avant gardish, relying mostly on item descriptions)
5) In all of them there is something similar to hollow/human
6) The actual STORY is almost the same, that revolves around some curse. I mean REALLY???? Did it HAD to be a plague on bloodborne as well?
7) The stupid absence of level cap in all of them, making match making a nightmare.
8) Almost identical atmosphere

These among others. Zero Punctuation puts it very nicely in his review of Bloodborne, calling it "The From Software game". Anyway, if anything, the gameplay will deliver, no doubt about it.

that looks awful. no advancement or innovation from the past games. what is this the fifa strategy?

Except...they are trying new things. It's called weapon arts. Look it up. There's also rumors of a new bonfire/sacrifice system too.

And tomorrow we should be getting more information about the game because the community members who got to play the demo will finally be able to talk about it. These are people I know have spent thousands of hours playing souls PVE and PVP. They'll definitely be answering questions only hardcore fans of the series would ask, such as whether or not the ravioli step is back (PLEASE BE TRU). Until then, I honestly think no one should be excited or disappointed because IMO the trailer doesn't show nearly enough to have an opinion

I'm getting more of a Bloodborne vibe from that Gameplay trailer than Souls one. Although that's purely based on the trailers/demos as I haven't actually played Bloodborne yet.

As someone who thoroughly enjoyed DeS/DaS, I really disliked a lot of the changes they made in DaSII. I couldn't care-less about PVP, so removing things like the Backstab, Kick, the oh-so-much-more-satisfying Riposte/Counter, was really heartbreaking. Combine that with 2's world just feeling generally less interesting, much more bland boss fights, and the fact that after 150+ Hours playing the series, which even with changes do still feature very similar structure/mechanics, a bit of "Souls Fatigue" started to settle in. All that led to me dropping 2 like a sack of shit after only 13 hours of play.

So I'm liking some of what I see, like the aforementioned mechanics making a comeback. The rest is up in the air, hopefully after having not touched a Souls game in ~2 years (By the time I play it) some of that Fatigue will have dissipated, and the world/design feeling a little more interesting with Miyazaki firmly at the helm.
Still, I'll be waiting till I can give it a try before putting money down, or perhaps wait for it to go on sale later in 2016, Fromsoft totally lost me after DaSII.

cyseal

New boss and old friend from DS1

Last edited:
Top Bottom