Dark Souls

+
ds is perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard (tho i recommend to rebind parry to Q)
you just need to dl mouse fix (http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~petska/) and res&fps fix aka dsfix (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=488240). I even beat this game on my first playthrough without that mouse fix, it was like 3 times harder cos any slightest mouse movement would switch targets xD

advice?
well if you are going to play with mouse and keyboard you need to figure out what keys do, and game won't help you here cos all the tips it provides show controller icons ._.
So:
F = focus, E = use item, q = action/use, tab = parry (better swap these last two), shift = block/use left hand, c = change left hand weapon, v = right hand weapon, g= gestures/additonal info on stat screens, end=options, del=toggle additonal info on items/unequip item, insert=toggle character info, space = dodge, lmb = normal attack, rmb = strong attack, w+lmb = kick (or dodge with some weapons), w+rmb = jump attack, hold space and lmb = running attack, alt = use wepaon with both hands, ctrl = walking, hold space and tap it again to jump.

you can parry enemy attack if you press q (default tab) after enemy backswing, right when he launches it at you, you can then use normal attack to stab him for a lot of damage, you can also surround enemy from behind and press lmb to backstab.
Also it's not worth it to take stats over 40(the only exception is 46 int required for crystal soul spear), read info on items you aquire, you move and roll slower for every 25% encumbrance.
Well thats about how much i wished i knew i started this game, the rest is about exploration and your own experiance! You should beat this game at least once without major spoilers and know how.

GAMEPLAY

General

Movement speed is increased.
Sprinting speed is now close to charging speed.
Estus restoration is now slower than Dark Souls I.
Action speed is dependent on Agility (More explained in the stats section).
Getting hit with plated armor makes a "clank" sound rather than a fleshy sound.
Humanity is now replaced with "Human Effigies".
Bonfire is no longer needed to turn human, just Human Effigies to turn human instantly.
Human Effigies don't restore health.
Healing stones are a new healing item.
Healing stones can be used when moving, but restoration speed (and/or amount) is dependent on stone type.
Three items in each hand.
Hollowed players can now get invaded.
Dedicated servers for better connections.
Enemies are more tenacious.
Enemies ambush around items.
Enemies switch from ranged to melee frequently.
More types of soapstones (Or different styles of soapstones).
Ranged weapons can be used while moving.
The more times died while hollow, the more your base health is reduced, similar to curse (Restored once humanity is restored).
Many previous sets from Dark Souls I will make an appearance in Dark Souls II.
Rings and arrows will give burden instead of being weightless, different from Dark Souls I.
Rated messages give the author a minor healing effect.

Phantoms

Phantoms can be around when you light a Bonfire.
Phantoms can now drink estus, but restoration is incredibly slow.
Summoned Phantoms are now on a time limit depending on White Soapstone size.
Summoned Phantoms have a health reduction.
Hourglasses can be seen on Summoned Phantoms to probably show their time limit.
Phantoms reduce their time by killing enemies, player must throw their weight this time around.
When playing as a White Phantom, a message saying "Task Completed" will show when you're time limit is done. You'll be returned back home.

Covenants

Darkwraiths are now called the "Brotherhood of Blood".
New covenant "Way of the Blue" (Not official name) has players assist other invaded players.
Gravelording is still a possibility.

Animations

Many new realistic and fast animations with the help from MOCAP.
New emotes.
Players show fatigue when low on stamina.
Tumbling when the player falls from certain distances.
Different backstabs for different weapons.

UI

Summoned Phantom's health can now be monitored at the side of the screen.
Humanity counter now replaced with an icon (Rumored to be covenant icon?).
A heading appears at the top of the screen at times (Game news?).
More minimalist hud, item circle in lower left minimizes when not in use, entire hud disappears when not in use. Status effect icons are still visible.
Using gestures doesn't take you out of the gesture screen.
Gesture screen enlarged.
Bonfire screen zooms in on character.

Inventory

New inventory screen.
More in depth weapon categories (Straight swords, sabers, rapiers, polearms, etc).
Total of 40 items shown on each page with a description at the bottom.
Inventory screen zooms in on your character on the right.
Items can be used on the inventory screen without exiting.

GRAPHICS

New lighting system that gives an even more realistic look.
More detailed faces and bodies.
Beards are included.
Cloth physics that react to the world.
Lighting Bonfires create an aura that lights up the room.

more in http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1nhaho/collection_of_known_dark_souls_ii_features_from/

Random bit I made today, Dark Souls meets Sunn O)))

'Bell Keepers Covenant'
This covenant protect the twin bells...Could this be linked to the twin bells from Dark Souls?
The members of the Bell Keepers covenant will be summoned to invade a player's world in order to protect certain specific areas.

Man. I've been following Dark Souls 2 news religiously. But the problem is, I don't want to! :p I don't want the game spoiled for me, at all, in any way! Yet I can't resist. Ah, I feel like I'm already playing the game, cause I feel cursed. I'm forever drawn towards articles and videos and I'm powerless to stop myself :p

But from all I've seen so far, DS2 is shaping up to be one helluva game. Also, considering what I've heard from VaatiVidya and ENB/P, the game's already a god damn master piece. Great. Here I was, thinking I couldn't get any more hyped for the game. But yeah, especially ENB has said that DS2 is better than DS (source Marcus' twitter). In-fucking-credible. I'm gonna avoid all news from now on. I have to stay strong.

I seriously cannot wait for DS2. I'm counting the fucking days. I haven't been this hyped, probably ever. There are a couple of games that I've just been dying to play, but this is the first time in my life that I'm counting the damn minutes until a game is released :p I'm prepared to die and I'm ready to go beyond death. Bring it the fuck on! RAWR!

Can someone explain the excitement over this game? The first one, that is. I watched a playthrough of the first 30-40 minutes, and it seemed a bit awkward to me. The setting was very... weird, and vague? The combat (which, I understand, is the game's banner?) was slow and cautious. This I actually liked, at first, but it didn't seem complex, just harsh; conducted mainly by staying out of range, waiting for the window, jumping in with the standard strike, and jumping back out.

I understand that the first half hour of a game isn't definitive, and maybe it was just the specific playthrough I watched that was bad. Anyway, I'd like to hear what is it you fellows like about it. Is it primarily the combat?

Can someone explain the excitement over this game? The first one, that is. I watched a playthrough of the first 30-40 minutes, and it seemed a bit awkward to me. The setting was very... weird, and vague? The combat (which, I understand, is the game's banner?) was slow and cautious. This I actually liked, at first, but it didn't seem complex, just harsh; conducted mainly by staying out of range, waiting for the window, jumping in with the standard strike, and jumping back out.

I understand that the first half hour of a game isn't definitive, and maybe it was just the specific playthrough I watched that was bad. Anyway, I'd like to hear what is it you fellows like about it. Is it primarily the combat?

I like everything, and I have no idea why. At first, it drove me crazy (Taurus boss on a bridge, a frigging red dragon, TWO frigging gargoyles), but even than I couldn't just quit. Then I kind of figured out the game, so to speak. Use of terrain, exploration (seven hells, I just loved jumping from bridge to bridge in the catacombs, right to Pinwheel's chamber), and different tactics for different monsters. It is beautiful and stylish as well. I don't know how to explain it but its atmosphere, its feel is unique and unforgettable. This game affects me on some deep level, but, I guess, it may be just me.

By the way, some guy on youtube is making a movie out of it, with minimal fighting, and all of the story-lines. He is super-good in filming and editing. Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SunlightMaggot/videos

And yeah, I am counting days until DS2 is out.

Last edited:
All, the combat is far superior than withcer 1 or 2 , the music is brutal for every boss, anotehr point over witcher, and the atmosphere is puer magic... only the story or interaction with everything else is a bit bad, but you can do things like kill NPC and they will never return

Top Bottom