Darker nights

+

Attachments

• 8_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_horse_1.jpg
    8_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_horse_1.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 61
Yeah this is old, but I was thinking the snow flakes were stars because there was no snow particles near him.I was probably really tired:p. And I know he can see in the dark, it was just a question of general atmosphere.

Last edited:
From the other thread.

We can still see torches are in the game. Cat probably is too

View attachment 9357

Geralt can see well in moon light so the nights in the wilderness aren't going to be pitch black.

Attachments

• image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25218-2651_0002.jpg
    image_the_witcher_3_wild_hunt-25218-2651_0002.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 43
It's not Earth, it's a made up fantasy world for an awesome video game. To me,
The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, is fantastic high art at its best, and it moves kinda like us lol.. I guess It's all a matter of perception ;)

Last edited:
I just hope there will be variations between nights in game (i.e visibility)
( full moon, no moon, night with rain, snow etc.. )

So, how many people among you have walked in a non-artificial-lighted outside, a night with a magestic Full Moon in a clear and unclouded sky?
Do it once and then talk about lighted nights.

So, how many people among you have walked in a non-artificial-lighted outside, a night with a magestic Full Moon in a clear and unclouded sky?
Do it once and then talk about lighted nights.

Well, to be fair, I don't think it'll be as dark as some people are wanting even without a full moon and shrouded skies.

Well, to be fair, I don't think it'll be as dark as some people are wanting even without a full moon and shrouded skies.

Empty moon plus clouded sky = dark night

The full moon nights you can easily reconigze people face at few meters far. The contrast between dark and lighted nigths is so huge that most legends and tales were born from them.

Empty moon plus clouded sky = dark night

The full moon nights you can easily reconigze people face at few meters far. The contrast between dark and lighted nigths is so huge that most legends and tales were born from them.

Yes, my point is that the nights without moonlight will also be too bright for some, and not particularly 'realistic'. But lore-wise that's OK.

I don't want nights to be so dark that I feel increasing my screen brightness would give me an advantage, but yes it would be nice if nights were as dark as possible. Personally I really liked how it was done in Dragon's Dogma where it was pretty much pitch black but you had a lantern on you that cast a light ring of a decent radius. Spells and other such glowy effects should also cast light. Sadly that type of implementation can take quite a bit of time so I doubt we'll see it.

my only comment on darker nights is while they're great for setting up the mysterious, dangerous and scary atmosphere, I feel the cases like the post above with Stalker's level of darkness is far too much.

I think for me the main reason is that it would be impossible to appreciate the level of beauty and detail the devs have made to the world where the player is only able to see the world's perspective properly only during day time.
Now for dungeons however, I definitely agree that if they're able to bring back the side of Witcher 1's ambience and near pitch black vision where I was freaked out by a bruxa that somehow managed to close the distance to me before I realized it, that would be awesome

Please people, even with clouds in the sky and the moon not being full I can see in the dark just fine when making my nightly runs (jogging). Your eyes get used to it after some time and you began to see better. Cats can see just fine in the darkest of nights.

As for the caves, even dark dungeons and caverns have some light in them because light reflects from every surface it falls upon. The sewers in the prologue of TW2 for example were made just fine considering how many gaps there were where light could come through, while the mines on the other side had little to no light but still let you see the frames of what you had in front of you. It all depends on your ability to see light in different strengths.

So no matter how dark the night (unless magic is involved), Geralt should see just fine outdoors. In caves and such I agree, the further you go in the darker and there should be a point where you BARELY see anything and should use the cat potion to enhance that vision.

Top Bottom