Darker nights

+
View attachment 9415
Not only can Geralt see at night, he can probably take his armor off, lay down and get a nice tan. I hope it just looks that bright because it's an off-screen picture.

Attachments

• 10930920_306929649517757_3496849564482310383_n.jpg
    10930920_306929649517757_3496849564482310383_n.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
no wonder they not released screens and have embargo's, every screenshot is raped and butchered by the community, come on guys give it a break we even don't know if its night time in that screenshot, in the 35 min video, we saw footage of the full moon night time all look good to me .

I liked the Idea of having to use something like the potion CAT in TW2. It makes the game more atmospheric and realistic. In a cave you should not be able to see anything like you're walking on sunlight...

CAT potion of TW2 sucked... really it just sucked... wasn t CAT anymore if you played through TW1.

It was already said here.... so go to wikipedia and get some infos about witcher mutations... before bitching
about bright nights....

Geralt has "nightvision", so yes he sees better at night... which means nights ll be brighter for him
though he has to use CAT or a torch in really really dark places like caves n shit... because the
rest light is not enough to see things there. He is not the usual human who goes nearby blind
at night when there is no light source (like full moon)

He has catlike eyes and they work the same way = good sight during the night :p get over it.

Not only can Geralt see at night, he can probably take his armor off, lay down and get a nice tan. I hope it just looks that bright because it's an off-screen picture.

guess thats why he has this "healthy" complexion aye? *smirk*
to the second half of that statement... what i said above... he just sees brighter nights, thats it.

Okay, two things.

1. Pale Mutant Geralt complexion FTW

2. I agree that TW2's cat was not cat anymore. I hope they went back from the really strange grey-white with thermal vision to the more "lore-friendly" version of TW1. As for night vision, even I can see a LITTLE bit something when it's a dark and cloudy night without a moon and no light sources are around. So now imagine what Geralt (or a cat) can see.

Caves and similar places = Need potion to see properly
Open terrain = Always good vision, no matter daytime or cloudiness

I loved TW1's cat potion and absolutely hated TW2's weird x-ray thing, I only used it in the mines in Vergen, and that was also the only part in the game where it was really necessary.

I hope the alchemy system will be more...'integrated' in TW3.

Last edited:
Geralt has "nightvision", so yes he sees better at night... which means nights ll be brighter for him
though he has to use CAT or a torch in really really dark places like caves n shit... because the
rest light is not enough to see things there. He is not the usual human who goes nearby blind
at night when there is no light source (like full moon)

He has catlike eyes and they work the same way = good sight during the night get over it.

Totally agree. I don't understand this darker night thing, since the guy sees in the dark!! In one of the books he kills a mouse by throwing knife at it in the dark.

We play as Geralt, so we should perceive the world like Geralt would, not like we do. It's a witcher simulator, not a peasant simulator. Maybe when playing with Ciri it will be darker, it should.

Perhaps the Witcher Senses mechanic might come into play here? During normal gameplay nights might be really dark, but if you activate Witcher Senses then everything might get brighter, as you see everything from Geralts perspective. Cat potions and torches should only come into play when you're in a really dark dungeon or cave as others have already said. Also I really liked the night vision effect that they had back in the Witcher 1 when you drank a cat potion.

Nights definetely need to get fixed, they day begins first between 5 to 6 AM, not already between 3 to 4 AN, thats the first thign that should get fixed.
After that, nights need to become alot darker, they should become essentially so dakr (similar to Dragons dogma design), that you hardly see anything without a light source, so that actually taking our your TORCH makes sense and that actually using CAT POTIONS also makes sense, theres currently absolutely no single place in the whole game, where you need to use a Cat Potion to be able to see something, what is just plain disappointing...

Just as I keep saying, the game has tons of potential, alot of wasted potential to improve significantly the whole game, but I personalyl believe, alot of this unused potentail to make the game alot better simply got skipped due to having not enough budget to realize everything, which owuld explain also for me personally, why the game is missing so much good stuff from the previous games ...

The nights are short and light. Am I the only one annoyed with it? It gets light at 3am!

View attachment 19622
View attachment 19623

In north nights are shorter especially in spring/summer. Thats the time frame this game takes place in.

---------- Updated at 12:44 AM ----------

A lot of you are showing your ignorance and arrogance here, first sunrises happen a lot quicker in many parts of our world as well.
1: The close to the poles the longer the days in summer. Melbourne during summer sun sets at 10-11 PM in the night and by 4 am is full on dawn and this is just one of the examples.
2: Secondly you play a mutant who has cat eyes to see in the dark. Do consider the nights are brighter because you play a witcher.
3: Finally in non polluted areas moon shines quite bright indeed.

Think a lot of you folk need to travel a bit and do not assume that day nights should be exactly like where you live.

@ Zeypheruk

Please come back, when you played Witcher 1/2, as you clearly must have never played them, when you come up with such a non fitting arguement about 2.

About 2) For which he needs to use the CAT POTION to get them, in both previous games existed at least dark enough spots, where you NEEDED to use that potion, to be able to see anything at all at dark places. Sadly this is not the case in TW3

A lot of you are showing your ignorance and arrogance here, first sunrises happen a lot quicker in many parts of our world as well.

The action of the game takes place in looks more like Europe, not India. :rolleyes: I'd also prefer the nights to be as dark as in TW1.

Last edited:
@ Zeypheruk

Please come back, when you played Witcher 1/2, as you clearly must have never played them, when you come up with such a non fitting arguement about 2.

Witcher 1 and 2 take place further south on the map than Witcher 3 though.

Good day to all,

First, it doesn't matter what time of day that light first breaks for you in the REAL WORLD guys.
That has NOTHING to do with their issue, nor any discussion relating to a gaming world.

Anyway, people with this issue.
Not sure obviously of your setup's, whether PC, consoles etc.
But I as well found this very odd when I played through on the 1.03 version of the game (the only version I went all the way through the game so far).
The very first dungeon in fact it hit me... "hey self, I don't need to use the cat potion I just brewed before coming in here".
Then I noticed it at every step along my travels... no matter the location.

Anyway, something I did kinda helped to a degree...as in some dungeons I now entered were pretty dark, thereby requireing me to equip a torch or cat potion.
I use a Nvidia card myself btw.
Opening up the "Nvidia" Control Panel.
- under display, an option for me called "Adjust desktop color settings".
- in that window, an option for me under option 2) "Choose how color is set".
For me initially, it was set to "other applications control color settings".
*** I changed it over to the option "Use Nvidia settings".
Save and close.

Now I am not saying this will cure it for ya... not at all, but for this old fella, I found the dungeons for sure much more dark.
I recall it as it stands out in my mind the change from NOT needing a torch TO needing one.
Other than that, don't recall if it also changed the darkness of the game world.
And cannot check atm the kid has the game uninstalled planning to reinstall just the base game PLUS the latest patch & DLC's hoping to make it run better on 1.07.

Anyway, good luck to you all.

Witcher 1 and 2 take place further south on the map than Witcher 3 though.

Wyzima is sooooooooooooooo far away, right.... please, take a look at the world map of the game (if you own the one, that comes by buying TW2 EE, there you can clearly see, where all the spots are, like for how far away for example is Loc Muinne from Vergen and how far that again is away from Novigrad/Wyzima...)

We aren't talking here about distances of several thousands of miles, like the distance between europe and the north/southpole. The distance between say Novigrad and Loc Muine for example is compareable to like the distance between Germany to Poland, if not alot lesser.
Everythign of the game world which we can explore is in the same time zone.

However, if someone can show here a kind of game lore argument, which makes it clear, that the day in redanian/temerian regions or in skellige starts already at 3 to 4 AM, then I've nothing said at all.
Otherwise I would take it to be an alot more appropriate game design to change it to what is actually normal for an after an european medieval word designed game and that would be that the day begins between 5 to 6 AM and not between 3-4 AM...
Even if there would be somethign so obsolete like summer/ wintertime in this game, a day would then begin earliest between 4 to 5 AM. everythign around 3 AM is way too early and immersion breaking, like also way too bright nights.

Nights have to be so dark, that you barely can see anythign without either a light source, or using a cat potion in case you go into a very dark cave for example or into a very dark dungeon that has no light sources where you can use IGNI on.
Thats the kind of realism, that adds thne also some nice creepiness to the game, especialyl with fitting background sounds/music ect. to set up the right mood, that its becoming at night alot more dangerous, when you can hardly also see something without helpful tools like the torch or using a cat potion.

theres no point in addign such features, when you design then the game so, that these things are totally useless and are practially NEVER needed to be used at all for a single freaking moment in the whole game ...

In north nights are shorter especially in spring/summer. Thats the time frame this game takes place in.

---------- Updated at 12:44 AM ----------

1: The close to the poles the longer the days in summer. Melbourne during summer sun sets at 10-11 PM in the night and by 4 am is full on dawn and this is just one of the examples.
2: Secondly you play a mutant who has cat eyes to see in the dark. Do consider the nights are brighter because you play a witcher.
3: Finally in non polluted areas moon shines quite bright indeed.

Think a lot of you folk need to travel a bit and do not assume that day nights should be exactly like where you live.
1. Why are you drawing a correlation between longer summer days at the Poles and Melbourne? Makes little sense.

If you want to aim for a reasonable comparison it would be closer to a latitude around the Hebrides (Skellige comparison a similar latitude to the other regions in Witcher 3) which has has a sunrise around 5 am BST and sunset at 10 pm in mid summer. The seasons don't change in the game except for in the main story line depending on choices make.

2. As pointed out he uses Cat potion and recommends it for dark caves etc. even when there is some ambient and incidental light. Also, as his eyes are cat-like you could say we should only see about 20% of colours and mostly yellows and blues if you want to reflect how they work.

Geralt would not see nice pretty green trees and shrubs around him. The game balances the abilities for reasonable game play. In doing so it's not so unreasonable to suggest that the nights 'feel' too light given that they only vary due to climatic changes.

3. The moon can be really bright when it is full however, the Witcher world has no Lunar phases so it's like we have this permanent bright state which is not realistic. As bright as it can get, it can also be equally dark with no moon to the extent nocturnal animals do not hunt so much.

In the end it is a game and brighter nights facilities gameplay at all hours. It's a design decision. Though it certainly adds to the atmosphere when nights are genuinely dark in wilder areas away from civilisation and adds to immersion. Given that we can Meditate with ease, players could have a choice to head out at night with that additional element to contend with, or wait until dawn.

In an ideal game world we would have solar and lunar phases for added reality and seasonal change for a perfect balance.

Top Bottom