Day 1 patch size

+
@gidgetpants

It's about the offline PC gamer voice being lost. Well misplaced. PC gaming is just for the online gamer. The online gamer has this keep up or shut up attitude. PC gaming is not PC gaming anymore, it's now mainly Steam gaming.

Offline gamers expect game developers to develop a complete game that has been tested for bugs and game breaking bugs to such a point that you don't ever need a patch.

For some reason, online gamers can't comprehend the offline gamer. When we speak about no drm in retail, online gamers take it as a personal attack against Steam and themselves.
Online gamers only cares about themselves or so it seems. A system can be put into place to cater to the offline gamers and the online gamers. Just look at how The Witcher 3 is being launched. For the offline gamers and the online gamers. But online gamers will not speak out nor support the offline PC gamer.

I will also speak for the offline gamer. It is the way I want to buy games at retail. Just sad that no other publisher really supports the offline gamers. CDPR is supporting the offline gamers and as long as they do that, I will be supporting and buying all of CDPR's games.

Some people still buy Vinyl records, they say they sound better(they don't) , Technology marches on, with or without you. You can choose to use old ways of doing things. Just do not be surprised to look around and find yourself all by your lonesome. Why would you want to buy a game retail? You pay more. Ordering a collectors edition I get,but a regular retail copy??? not so much..... to each their own though.....

Some people still buy Vinyl records, they say they sound better(they don't) , Technology marches on, with or without you. You can choose to use old ways of doing things. Just do not be surprised to look around and find yourself all by your lonesome. Why would you want to buy a game retail? You pay more. Ordering a collectors edition I get,but a regular retail copy??? not so much..... to each their own though.....

Thank you for proving my point.

Some people simply don't have the /option/ of doing as you describe. You seem to decry them as old-fashioned, or relics of a bygone age simply because your access to technology is greater than theirs.

Be careful not to assume that everyone's life is within the same confines of your own. This is a GLOBAL release.

This thread is a discussion about the Day 1 Patch, not analog vs digital, not DRM, not digital vs physical, not PC Gaming/console gaming or your own personal preference in the matters. So back on topic please.

so if i have pre-ordered and pre-downloaded on XB1,can i expect any patch to be downloaded prior to the 1am uk time may 19th....or does it need downloading as soon as the game unlocks?...and if i wanted to play a few hours...and hit the sack.....1,can i pull my ethernet cable out and play and 2,can, the game unlock without an internet connection

so if i have pre-ordered and pre-downloaded on XB1,can i expect any patch to be downloaded prior to the 1am uk time may 19th....or does it need downloading as soon as the game unlocks?...and if i wanted to play a few hours...and hit the sack.....1,can i pull my ethernet cable out and play and 2,can, the game unlock without an internet connection

That depends on the developer. Some will push their day one patch the week/weekend before launch.

From the looks of it Day 1 Patch will include Mouse & Keyboard optimisation/fixes. At the recent event youtubers had to use controllers because CDPR were still a few days away from finalising the PC controls.

Thank you for proving my point.

Some people simply don't have the /option/ of doing as you describe. You seem to decry them as old-fashioned, or relics of a bygone age simply because your access to technology is greater than theirs.

Be careful not to assume that everyone's life is within the same confines of your own. This is a GLOBAL release.

If you want tech you can get it. it may cost more in some areas, but it can be had.

This thread is a discussion about the Day 1 Patch, not analog vs digital, not DRM, not digital vs physical, not PC Gaming/console gaming or your own personal preference in the matters. So back on topic please.

Agreed. I kinda hoped to get a RED to give me an estimate just how long i will be downloading it and if it is likely worth waiting for before starting my playthrough.

From the looks of it Day 1 Patch will include Mouse & Keyboard optimisation/fixes. At the recent event youtubers had to use controllers because CDPR were still a few days away from finalising the PC controls.

That was the final "gold" build so, presumably, those fixes will be in the retail game.

Day 1 patch should improve performance of the game together with Geforce Witcher 3 driver that will surely be released before or during it's release so i don't mind downloading it for the sake of additional FPS

That was the final "gold" build so, presumably, those fixes will be in the retail game.
I'm going to assume Day 1 will have many fixes(along with M+KB improvements) since the code has been frozen for quite some time, and you can't do anything to frozen code, hence why Day 1 patches exist.

I just hope the day one patch isn't to big. I'm one of the few gamers who doesn't have Internet (live to far out in the sticks). I use my mobile to connect my PS4 to the Internet for small patches. I've arranged to travel to my parents on day one with my PS4 and game. So I can use there Internet.

I'm hopeful that my mobile Internet will be enough for the weekly DLC updates.

Games these days rely far too much on patching in my opinion. I guess it's just the modern times. I'm too old fashioned and expect things too work first time out of the box.

I'm still pissed about the 9GB day1 patch for Arkham Origins and I won't even get started on the DA:I patching nightmares. Suffice it to say that Bioware/EA botched that so badly that I completely lost intrest and have still not played the game. I'm confident that CDPR won't make those mistakes, but what the hell happened to buy the game, install & play?

I'm going to assume Day 1 will have many fixes(along with M+KB improvements) since the code has been frozen for quite some time, and you can't do anything to frozen code, hence why Day 1 patches exist.

I'm sure the day one patch will have many fixes, things they are still working on at this moment. However, the youtube guy said that they were playing an older build and that CDPR was "days away from finalizing the PC build with M/KB improvements". That could be the day one patch, but it would be unfortunate if M/KB controls are not great out of the box.

Please, Gods, no...(well almost the same) CDPR hear you! I want to play with my mouse!!

I'm still pissed about the 9GB day1 patch for Arkham Origins and I won't even get started on the DA:I patching nightmares. Suffice it to say that Bioware/EA botched that so badly that I completely lost intrest and have still not played the game. I'm confident that CDPR won't make those mistakes, but what the hell happened to buy the game, install & play?

I think it's become a reality of modern game development. No one wants to release a day one patch, but it's that or a defective game now. I'm expecting at least 4-6 GB of fixes on launch.

It's a double edged sword I guess. It sucks to have to install a patch before you even launch the game, but it's nice that they have the abillity to address problems or add new features/content after launch.

I've honestly never understood why patches are so large, maybe someone can fill in the gaps for me.

You see, most patches are simply bug fixes.. stabilization, optimization, etc. That's all program code, and the core program that is actually "the game" is actually very small. TW2's actual executable is only around 15MB. The vast majority of what's on the disc is assets.. meshes, textures, etc.

So what's in a patch that's 6-7GB? Some games have patches that are 20GB+. There has to be an unusually large number of raw assets in a patch that size, why on earth are they still working on assets at the eleventh hour? And later on, devs release patches that are literally just bug fixes, and yet it still ends up 5-10GB in size. What the hell?

I've honestly never understood why patches are so large, maybe someone can fill in the gaps for me.

You see, most patches are simply bug fixes.. stabilization, optimization, etc. That's all program code, and the core program that is actually "the game" is actually very small. TW2's actual executable is only around 15MB. The vast majority of what's on the disc is assets.. meshes, textures, etc.

So what's in a patch that's 6-7GB? Some games have patches that are 20GB+. There has to be an unusually large number of raw assets in a patch that size, why on earth are they still working on assets at the eleventh hour? And later on, devs release patches that are literally just bug fixes, and yet it still ends up 5-10GB in size. What the hell?

The individual changes may indeed be (and should be, your observation is correct) very small. It's the way the changes have to be delivered that inflates them.

When you deliver a fix, you have to replace files on your customer's system. Thus the size of the patch is not the size of the changes, but the size of the files that must be replaced. Sometimes (as with the pack0.dzip file in TW2), you must replace a huge (10GB) file to make a single critical change. Most of the game, and most of the resources that need patching (scripts, meshes, etc.) are not in the executable, but in these archives.

It's packaging that doesn't allow for easy update of individual resources, but requires deploying an updated archive of those resources, that leads to ridiculously large patches. I don't think the industry has seen that as a problem.

Last edited:
I bet it sucks for console users with very limited HD space. Personally, I have a 2TB SSHD & 2 2TB HDs just for gaming, still a pain in the ass though.

Top Bottom