Day/Night Cycle - Dusk and Dawn need to be shortened.

+
The Dusk and Dawn cycles in the game are too long.
  1. At 20:30, the sky is still lit, dusk should have passed by then and it should be night.
  2. At 03:30, the sky is already lit. Dawn shouldn't start to break until at least 06:30
Basically what I am saying is the "Day" part of the cycle is too long.

Last edited:
Yeah I feel this. For me the game is at its best visually & atmospherically at night time & I definitely would not be opposed to having the 'daytime' be much shorter.

Settings in-game to adjust this would be awesome as well! i.e. preset options: 'short-day, long-night' or 'long-day, short-night' or something along those lines.

It's 21:30 in this photo. 9:30 PM.

I guess that works fine if the game takes place in Alaska, but it's incredibly immersion breaking for Night City. I shouldn't be able to see past the nearest neon sign (figuratively) at 21:30.

And I agree with @eternal_streetkid , the city is its best visually at night.

20210107071159_1.jpg

Perhaps it's summer? I haven't really managed to find anything confirming the date of the story yet, apart from sometime in 2077.

1. At 20:30, the sky is still lit, dusk should have passed by then and it should be night.
  2. At 03:30, the sky is already lit. Dawn shouldn't start to break until at least 06:30

Maybe it's Summer...? Here in Georgia it doesn't get dark until after 9pm at the height of Summer, I assume mid/southern Cali is similar.

Perhaps it's summer? I haven't really managed to find anything confirming the date of the story yet, apart from sometime in 2077.
just skip time dude
Maybe it's Summer...? Here in Georgia it doesn't get dark until after 9pm at the height of Summer, I assume mid/southern Cali is similar.

No. None of these are the point. I don't want to skip time, I don't want to play in daylight savings time, and even if it were daylight savings time, the sky doesn't brighten up at 3:30 in the morning in Los Angeles, California (I know, I grew up there, and I currently live in Houston, TX).

I assume that nothing has changed so radically in CP2077 so as to modify the rotation of the Earth.

I want an immersive Cyberpunk experience with an attractive day/night cycle. I want neon and dark shadows. If I want bright sunshine and beach umbrellas, I can play GTA or Watchdogs. I want it dark, I want neon.

Last edited:
Welcome to Night City........Where it's always Daylight!

But seriously this is supposed to be a post nuclear war setting. It is supposed to be dark and depressing. There is supposed to be frequent adverse and hazardous weather.

But overall it is supposed to be Cyberpunk which as a genre has Film Noir at it's core!

Welcome to Night City........Where it's always Daylight!

But seriously this is supposed to be a post nuclear war setting. It is supposed to be dark and depressing. There is supposed to be frequent adverse and hazardous weather.

But overall it is supposed to be Cyberpunk which as a genre has Film Noir at it's core!

Pffft... just skip time, my dude.

The sky was the color of television, tuned to a channel depicting bright, mid-day Caribbean vistas.... somehow, I don't think that would have worked as well for an opening to Neuromancer.

No. None of these are the point. I don't want to skip time, I don't want to play in daylight savings time, and even if it were daylight savings time, the sky doesn't brighten up at 3:30 in the morning in Los Angeles, California (I know, I grew up there, and I currently live in Houston, TX).

Hm, you do have a fair point. Night City should be a bit more north of LA, though, giving it a little bit more sunlight and quite a bit less actual night time (and much more / less respectively compared to Houston).
Still, in the height of the summer, to cut some slack to the devs, the night would probably still be rather short in the area, with just 5 hours and 45 mins of actual night, and 3 hours and 39 mins of twilight.
1610033324771.png

Playing in winter would practically double the atmospheric neon-lit night to the Night City.
1610033783969.png

Hm, you do have a fair point. Night City should be a bit more north of LA, though, giving it a little bit more sunlight and quite a bit less actual night time (and much more / less respectively compared to Houston).
Still, in the height of the summer, to cut some slack to the devs, the night would probably still be rather short in the area, with just 5 hours and 45 mins of actual night, and 3 hours and 39 mins of twilight.

Playing in winter would practically double the atmospheric neon-lit night to the Night City.

I don't want to cut slack for the devs. This isn't about farmer's almanacs and fishing calendars, it's about creating atmosphere.

Who on Earth was the dev/playtester who drove around Night City for 16 hours in the daytime, and though "this is fine"?
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
The sun is too bright in the game, oddly though a lot of games are too drastic when going from indoors to outdoors with light sources.

surprised this isn't something game devs have gotten right across so many games

The sun is too bright in the game, oddly though a lot of games are too drastic when going from indoors to outdoors with light sources.

surprised this isn't something game devs have gotten right across so many games
Not at all surprising if you consider most people, especially causal gamers who are the huge majority of players, do not want to be inconvenienced by too obtrusive realism. Especially when this realism is arguable. Night vision cyberware would be the first thing most people would demand with darker environments.

Light pollution.

New York at night below.

View attachment 11132507

This is a false image.

I grew up in the second most populous city in the United States, and now live in the fourth.

This is not an image of "light pollution". It is a false exposure. I am not talking about what the lens captures, I am talking about what the human eye captures.

Night City, 2077, 8:30 PM...
1610038802200.png

Not at all surprising if you consider most people, especially causal gamers who are the huge majority of players, do not want to be inconvenienced by too obtrusive realism. Especially when this realism is arguable. Night vision cyberware would be the first thing most people would demand with darker environments.
I just mean it is literally blinding sometimes it's like the light of the world is off till you step outside a building and then it just shines in your retinas. Or when the sun is high in the game I can barely see the road till I can drive past the angle of the sun (which is kinda realistic I guess)

Guest 4375874

Just NO. Skip time if you have a problem with the length. I prefer the game to actually be immersive.

Top Bottom