Dealing with Schirru and other ambush's near-invulnerable shell

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
kietmac123;n8233430 said:
Did you just seriously move the thread to tactician center? lol what are you doing with your moderator power man. This thread isn't asking for help, its about the problem regarding ambush cards. Also I don't see you trying to make a counter argument on ambush invulnerable state. All you said is "oh I dont see anyone playing them at my level" and you complaining about me using the "BS" word? If you wanna counter my argument that's fine, but trying to abuse moderator power is quite disappointing and sad. Move this thread back to the General Discussion. Ambush cards need to be addressed ASAP before more are added into the game.
I ain't a mod, but this thread was titled "Dealing with Schirru and other ambush's near-invulnerable shell". This implies asking for input about the way a card works and how to deal with it. Ergo, it goes to the tactician's corner, because that's where all the discussions about how to deal with certain cards go.

Please keep this discussion civilized, polite and on topic. Avoid unnecessary animal droppings and commenting quality of other people's posts. No personal insults/attacks or ridiculing. If someone has questions about moderator's decisions, ask those in private mails and not in public posts.

Otherwise this thread ends up getting locked.

Tamacountry13;n8247260 said:
Alright let's take it to the basics.
He's a 5 Str Gold Ambush that needs a special to be played to get any value whatsoever.

Him being a Gold makes him immune to weather which isn't a big deal as he's only 5 Str.

He's an Ambush which makes him immune to Shackles, Not a issue either as Geralt Igni for comparison can't be Shackles either.
The biggest plus to Ambush is your opponent doesn't know which Ambush card you played. Most players can actually deduce which Ambush you played so they can play around them, Every now and then though you might surprise a few people as he's not used much.

As for his effect, If you activate him yourself he's straight up a worse Igni as you have a lot less control over it and you sacrifice a card.

His ONLY value happens IF your opponent plays a special and that's a big if.
Now not all decks run a lot or any specials which make him REALLY bad against these decks.

If your opponent guesses that it's Schirru on the field they can plan ahead to reduce the damage he does
Passing while they're in the lead is a pretty good way to deal with him or just passing early to not have to deal with him.

They can also just straight up not use any specials.
They can also activate him on purpose to prevent more damage down the line.

Overall he's a great card when he works but terrible when he doesn't which is why he's not used a lot.

The best way to see how good he is is to try him out yourself, You'll soon see he not as great as you make him out to be.

Well good thing the ST faction can pull out a special card anytime they want.

He's the highest powered scorch card and capable of ignoring a whole play when your opponent uses a special card. Also that 1 extra power can make a big different

That's part of the problem...you don't know when he's played so if you were to activate a special card and HE IS on the field, then rip. Most player can deduce what ambush card is play? Really? Well give me some names and tell me what level they are because every time I use my ambush deck I always seem to pull off ambush easily. Same goes to when I face off against ambush card. So tell me, how can you deduce what ambush card is what when they are ALL agile and ALL faced down? Please I really gotta know so when I face an ambush deck I have a chance to see what the face down card is. Mate...you might be surprised that the ST factions that I'M facing on my level are using full on ambush cards.

Well that would really depend on the situation wouldn't it? I don't see a problem with activating Schirru myself if the opponent has a high powered unit on the field. Also most of the time (like 90%), the opponent activates it for me anyways

What? If you activate Schirru yourself how are not going to get a huge swing? Destroying the highest unit on only your opponent side is quite powerful.
Lets be honest here, most of us have first light, decoy, and thunder, and we ALWAYS try to keep at least one first light for weather control or thunder for effect cards.

Once again, how can you guess if the ambush card is Schirru if all ambush cards are faced down agile units? Please tell me what clues there is. Oh the opponent placed an ambush card in the middle, so I'm guessing you would think its Toruviel. What happens if its not Toruviel but Ciaran for CA

Not use any special card at all for the whole round? I don't think your playing gwent correctly if you don't have at least decoy in your deck
Yeah activate Schirru = you just wasted your turn AND you got scorched, now you are 2 turns behind the opponent, bravo!

Works terrible? o_O

Well good thing I do use him and have a 80% WR on my deck

Anen;n8250340 said:
like you wasting my time reading your loong sentences.
Playing with ambush is hard. i have tried my self, i craft some ambush card to look at your complain.
if you play ambush you need to have fortune teller with you. you have to know where they want to play their card, when to place it. they are filp down card yes flip down!

you cant get score with flip down card and i have tried my self with my ambush card are still flip down until end of both round. without any action from it and it forced to moved to graveyard, how sad.
if gwent have star to rank for difficulties ST will have five star that mean hardest fraction to play. maybe you lose once against them but you dont know how much time they try to got a win.

Ambush is a like spy card on nilfgardian but nilf spy is far easy to use. place it, you lose 2 score but you can draw card (1 round play 2 cards), place another 2 and add 12 STR on you side. play again draw another cards. but ambush is hell. you know where should i place it, when i place it, what opponent going to use next, make my brain going to explode. your opponent you were facing have fortune teller beside him, without doubt.
if you dont believe me try for yourself.

if i can suggest i will sugeest to make flip down card goes up in the end of both player passed.

see you need fortune teller to play ambush

If I am wasting your time then why are you still trying to reply back to me lool.
Ambush is one of the most simplest way to play the game. You have units that are immortal and hidden so your opponent have no way to know what it is.
Yeah that'd be nice to have future visions of the face down card

Well good thing more than half the ambush cards are capable of flipping up autoly by themselves.
5 stars? Okay I'm guessing most of y'all who are saying ambush is hard are to play are probably low levels at this point. Ambush cards are hidden and unkillable (unless Morenn) and so the opponent don't have much tools to counter them or KNOW what the card is in the first place to counter them.

You are trying to compare NG spy mechanic to ST ambush mechanic? Most of the spies in NG deck are for deck thinning while most ambush cards are meant for screwing with your opponent (preventing special from being played, CA, weakening) I'm guessing you think NG spies are easier to play because they are autoly placed on a row for you while ambush are Agile. But making them Agile is what makes them quite powerful and far more easier to play.
Well good thing I have a 80% WR ambush card on my ACC that is NOT from gwent DB

zantclick;n8252240 said:
I ain't a mod, but this thread was titled "Dealing with Schirru and other ambush's near-invulnerable shell". This implies asking for input about the way a card works and how to deal with it. Ergo, it goes to the tactician's corner, because that's where all the discussions about how to deal with certain cards go.

True, the name does sound like a support thread. But if the mods actually read the full thread first before moving it, then they would know that it is not a help thread but a discussion thread.

Sunsibar;n8254820 said:
Please keep this discussion civilized, polite and on topic. Avoid unnecessary animal droppings and commenting quality of other people's posts. No personal insults/attacks or ridiculing. If someone has questions about moderator's decisions, ask those in private mails and not in public posts.

Otherwise this thread ends up getting locked.

Alright well I think the thread should be moved back to the general discussion because it is not a help thread. It is a discussion regarding the ambush mechanic and what needs to be changed.

EDIT: if you refuse to move this thread back top general discussion then I'ma have to post another one and link it to this one. I think it'd be more organize and cleaner if you just moved this one back, just saying if you are in disagreement.

Last edited:
Since I can tell judging by the REDpoints and moderators replies, I can tell none of y'all like me and will disagree with me regardless of what evidence I post. That's cool idc, we all strangers anyways and none of us ever going to meet each other in real life. If you won't listen to me then at least listen to the popular gwent youtubers Merchant and KBT.

Merhcant's video on Schirru and ambush mechanics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHwFjDnTJmQ

KBT (though not a specific video on ambush, but he does express his concern about Ciaran at 6:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx13vPSIVEg

kietmac123;n8260980 said:
Since I can tell judging by the REDpoints and moderators replies, I can tell none of y'all like me and will disagree with me regardless of what evidence I post.
I think that is not the point. I think you never tried to use a deck with Schirrú and you might want to try one before you take such a strong opinion. It is a gold legendary card, that can give you a lot of points or give you nothing, which can be frustrating. Try it and you will see by yourself.

I agree that ambush in it's current state still feels unpolished and sometimes even frustrating/unfair. As already mentioned, the main reason for this is the absurd accumulation of uncounterable power provided by Dragoons - so I am pretty sure the problem will be addressed in a future patch by either making Dragoons relentless or unable to buff ambush cards in general. Making less ambush cards agile will also help in giving your oponent more clues of what card you might have played. One should not forget that this is still closed beta. The devs are free to test different designs and power-levels for ambush / weather / other tricky mechanics to ultimately ensure a balanced, final product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shirru
panerola;n8263770 said:
can give you a lot of points or give you nothing, which can be frustrating.
So true. When he works, he kicks ass. But if he isn't triggered when the timing's right, you (the ST player) waste your CA, which is often much more important than the numbers Shirru can burn on the other side of the battlefield. ST players need to pay close attention to what is going on in relation to this card, lest they lose. And I'm continuously learning that, the hard way...

As mentioned by others before, I'd take a wild guess and say you haven't played an ambush deck before. As someone who has played all the factions (save for SK), I find ST-Ambush to be the one that requires the most thought. Winning in the high ranks does not come easy with an ambush deck, no matter how much you rage over Schirru.

Hello, all. There has already been one attempt to keep this thread constructive and on-track. This is the second. If it's necessary a third time, this thread will have nanoseconds left. One microgram of Uraniam-232 will last longer than this thread. A single snowflake descending towards the surface of the sun will have time to watch this thread close down. The fastest man on the planet will be like: "Whoa! Where did that thread just go!?"

Please...be kind. Discuss the strategery and the tactical-ocity of the cards. Not your opinions of each other.

SigilFey;n8271430 said:
Hello, all. There has already been one attempt to keep this thread constructive and on-track. This is the second. If it's necessary a third time, this thread will have nanoseconds left. One microgram of Uraniam-232 will last longer than this thread. A single snowflake descending towards the surface of the sun will have time to watch this thread close down. The fastest man on the planet will be like: "Whoa! Where did that thread just go!?"

Please...be kind. Discuss the strategery and the tactical-ocity of the cards. Not your opinions of each other.

Hey, keep Usain Bolt out of this, he is not interested in Scoia'tael shenanigans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom