Dear CDPR, please give us back the original armor textures

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who wanted a dye system in the first place? CDPR one downgrade after another... but also one improvement after another. Fortunatly there was obviously a ton of work behind Blood and Wine and they listened to us for so many things. Let's not forget that each step back was done to go further. When we play expansion I m sure this will not matter anymore. I am not about to let this spoil my fun even though I am a bit disappointed with this.

That color change is also the reason why texture got low quality. It is connected.

---------- Updated at 08:04 PM ----------

Who wanted a dye system in the first place? CDPR one downgrade after another... but also one improvement after another. Fortunatly there was obviously a ton of work behind Blood and Wine and they listened to us for so many things. Let's not forget that each step back was done to go further. When we play expansion I m sure this will not matter anymore. I am not about to let this spoil my fun even though I am a bit disappointed with this.
Yes, but what if I didn't plan to get Blood & Wine? This redesign was optimised for Touissant for sure. They forgot about the main quest.

Well... tbh I doubt they would have to downgrade textures to simply change the colour. Some particular colour's effects might be connected to downgrad but you don't need to downgrade textures to change colours. The dye part probably is the reason... that is royally annoying because... really? Who needs that anyway?

Ok hold on , a red line on armor does not change the atmosphere of the game - that is just a silly way to reason.
But it is clear that the textures have been changed to fit into the new system.
This is ultimately CDPR's choice and one I am sure they had many discussions over - There is already two mods out that fixes this issue.
It is not just about the red line. Low quality texture. Washed out details (actually they are gone). Structure.
And also the recolor. Every witcher armor set was recolored and got more vibrant colors. And that altogether has its influence on the atmosphere.

---------- Updated at 08:11 PM ----------

Well... tbh I doubt they would have to downgrade textures to simply change the colour. Some particular colour's effects might be connected to downgrad but you don't need to downgrade textures to change colours. The dye part probably is the reason... that is royally annoying because... really? Who needs that anyway?
Exactly. That is a huge sacrifice for the players who appreciate aesthetics just to implement the new mechanic which is not that important at all. I mean, I respect that CDPR decided to bring to us something new, but if I had to choose, I would have chosen original armor after the dye feature. That is more important.

LOL. You just used my own words against me. Very funny.

Seems like you don't understand what is the role of atmosphere in art/game/book either.

Okay let me get this straight. Only because something fits for me in the Atmosphere of an Game(in this case Witcher 3 and the new armors), you want talk down my Opinion to simply: "that i don't understand what the role of Atmosphere is". Good grief, this discuss gets even worse.

I mean, it seems you simply doesn't understand what i mean. I said, maybe they could've done it better. Like i said, how - as example, would it have been, if they left out the Armor completly untouched, until you reach BaW and when you want to to change the Color of this Armor(aka dye) the smith have to overhaul the armor so it dyeable. That would be more lorefriendly and simple for people who wants to stick to the old Armor-Design, or a bit easier, they should've added an Option (like someone already suggested). However where i'm against at is that People like you claim their own tastes/opinion as FACT, and comes with an argument like Realistic, Lore, History or Atmosphere. You CANT simply generalize FOR ALL OF US, what fits the Atmosphere of Witcher 3, its UP TO EACH THEIR OWN to decide what fits the atmosphere. And thats the Point why i argue with you Guys. Because for me it still fits Witcher 3 - even the Main Game and doesn't break the Atmosphere/immersion.

It is not just about the red line. Low quality texture. Washed out details (actually they are gone). Structure.
And also the recolor. Every witcher armor set was recolored and got more vibrant colors. And that altogether has its influence on the atmosphere.

We all agree that the textures have changed , was It downgraded? I don't think so.
The recolor changed or overwritten the finer details if you will - but that is done with a purpose so that you could dye specific sections of the armor - Some details are bound to be lost in this process.
I personally don't feel that it changes atmosphere at all.
With your question about who wanted the dyes - if you look at the amount of recolor mods and endorsements of said mods on nexus then its evident that a big part of the community "asked" for this feature. I think its cool to change the color of your armor to suit your taste.

For the PC version, there are already 2 mods out that correct these armors, restoring their original textures. If this does not tell CDPR something about what they have produced here today is very very wrong, then I don't know what will!
To have to immediately revert to remedial mods after a so-called update (and in many respects, I agree, patch 1.21 brings a bunch of very awesome things, so let's not confuse the argument), is a real shame! Because we have come to expect only the very best from CDPR.

Unfortunately however, we can't assist the console gamers who deserve to have their armor textures restored as well.

For the PC version, there are already 2 mods out that correct these armors, restoring their original textures. If this does not tell CDPR something about what they have produced here today is very very wrong, then I don't know what will!
To have to immediately revert to remedial mods after a so-called update (and in many respects, I agree, patch 1.21 brings a bunch of very awesome things, so let's not confuse the argument), is a real shame! Because we have come to expect only the very best from CDPR..
Isn't that a bit to much generalizing. This only show us that there are people who like that classic Armors better, but that doesn't mean that all or most dislike the new armors. YOU aren't representative for the whole Witcher 3 community.

The recolor changed or overwritten the finer details if you will - but that is done with a purpose so that you could dye specific sections of the armor - Some details are bound to be lost in this process.

Then I would seriously argue that this "process" should not have taken place. This is not a small decrease in texture (diffuse map) quality. It is significant! With the added and very much unwanted side effect of what can only be described as tailor's tracing lines...
And why, I beg you to explain, should quality go down at all? I am not even a game developer and I can come up with a number of alternative dye solutions that could have worked just as well without any compromise on visual quality at all!
And I will mention this again: these dye changes were implemented in a PATCH! So regardless of the person's desire or intention to get B&W, they are getting Witcher gear that looks...to put it quite bluntly, like the dog's breakfast. This is unfair and it should never have been allowed to happen at all.

To have to immediately revert to remedial mods after a so-called update (and in many respects, I agree, patch 1.21 brings a bunch of very awesome things, so let's not confuse the argument), is a real shame! Because we have come to expect only the very best from CDPR.

Unfortunately however, we can't assist the console gamers who deserve to have their armor textures restored as well.

Taking my moderator's hat off for a while:

Why do you speak in name of some illusive group of gamers? And why console gamers deserve to have their armor textures restored when the developer decided they deserve at least a small customization option for a character that is not customizable in any other way(and lot of people were at least as upset about it as you are about armor textures)?

There are already 2 mods that correct armors and I've seen over 100+ posts on other forums that praise the dye system and think it's a great idea. So I win, right?

See, it's so easy to judge artistic and design decisions. But trying to talk people down and act as authority on people's tastes will not move the discussion any further.

Taking my moderator's hat off for a while:

Why do you speak in name of some illusive group of gamers? And why console gamers deserve to have their armor textures restored when the developer decided they deserve at least a small customization option for a character that is not customizable in any other way(and lot of people were at least as upset about it as you are about armor textures)?

There are already 2 mods that correct armors and I've seen over 100+ posts on other forums that praise the dye system and think it's a great idea. So I win, right?

See, it's so easy to judge artistic and design decisions. But trying to talk people down and act as authority on people's tastes will not move the discussion any further.

Yes sir, you win.
I'm done here. I said my piece.

Then I would seriously argue that this "process" should not have taken place. This is not a small decrease in texture (diffuse map) quality. It is significant! With the added and very much unwanted side effect of what can only be described as tailor's tracing lines...
And why, I beg you to explain, should quality go down at all? I am not even a game developer and I can come up with a number of alternative dye solutions that could have worked just as well without any compromise on visual quality at all!
And I will mention this again: these dye changes were implemented in a PATCH! So regardless of the person's desire or intention to get B&W, they are getting Witcher gear that looks...to put it quite bluntly, like the dog's breakfast. This is unfair and it should never have been allowed to happen at all.

But see here is your problem , you think they look crap , but that's only your opinion (sure others might agree) but in the end the only opinion that counts is those of CDPR. Like I said before , there is already two mods out "fixing" this. CDPR clearly wanted to implement this to "safe guard" the armor if somebody chooses to buy B&W - Yes I hear what you are saying about "what if i don't want to buy B&W" - But that doesn't matter because it is ultimately CDPR's decision and they clearly took this route from a design point of view.

Okay let me get this straight. Only because something fits for me in the Atmosphere of an Game(in this case Witcher 3 and the new armors), you want talk down my Opinion to simply: "that i don't understand what the role of Atmosphere is". Good grief, this discuss gets even worse.

I mean, it seems you simply doesn't understand what i mean. I said, maybe they could've done it better. Like i said, how - as example, would it have been, if they left out the Armor completly untouched, until you reach BaW and when you want to to change the Color of this Armor(aka dye) the smith have to overhaul the armor so it dyeable. That would be more lorefriendly and simple for people who wants to stick to the old Armor-Design, or a bit easier, they should've added an Option (like someone already suggested). However where i'm against at is that People like you claim their own tastes/opinion as FACT, and comes with an argument like Realistic, Lore, History or Atmosphere. You CANT simply generalize FOR ALL OF US, what fits the Atmosphere of Witcher 3, its UP TO EACH THEIR OWN to decide what fits the atmosphere. And thats the Point why i argue with you Guys. Because for me it still fits Witcher 3 - even the Main Game and doesn't break the Atmosphere/immersion.
I apologize if I somehow offended you. I didn't mean to.

The atmosphere is something that developers should care about. Not the players.
But we had awesome armors for over a year now, which fit the main game perfectly. We also had a choice, like for Skellige there was the Skellige armor which fits perfectly for the region. But now, just to implement new feature, they sacrificed the whole previous atmosphere which we had in the game for the good of releasing the new expansion. The new expansion shouldn't influence that much on the main game. There are a lot of problems which were asked to take care of (like the timeline conflict with B&W and main quest post-game), but developers stated that Blood & Wine is completely different story and should be played that way. Why then they thought it is a good idea to redesign the armor sets which we use 90% of the time playing the main game? Why didn't they make the new specific armors which would fit Touissant better and let them apply the dying mechanic? That is what bothers me. As a player, I think it is unfair and unlogical.

---------- Updated at 08:24 PM ----------

But see here is your problem , you think they look crap , but that's only your opinion (sure others might agree) but in the end the only opinion that counts is those of CDPR. Like I said before , there is already two mods out "fixing" this. CDPR clearly wanted to implement this to "safe guard" the armor if somebody chooses to buy B&W - Yes I hear what you are saying about "what if i don't want to buy B&W" - But that doesn't matter because it is ultimately CDPR's decision and they clearly took this route from a design point of view.
So you talk about the personal opinion, and then you basically say that my opinion doesn't matter. Smart. Very smart indeed.

IF the comparison Picture, which is posted here, is at least for 80/90 % Accurate, we CAN'T say the Quality did go down. (at least as much as you claim, also we got an tradeoff so we can dye the armor and choose colors for ourelf) The Armor looks less detailed in points of rusty and gritty etc, however that doesn't mean it looks bad either. It looks only bit different. IF you dislike this difference, i'm okay with it. It still is upon tastes, however stop to claim your opinion as fact and act like you can speak for all of us, and stop acting so high and mighty.

Once we try dying the new armors, the changes might be inconsequential. But if the mod is compatible with B&W, then everyone wins. No need for drama.

---------- Updated at 08:24 PM ----------
So you talk about the personal opinion, and then you basically say that my opinion doesn't matter. Smart. Very smart indeed.

You have to understand that CDPR made a choice , yes you don't agree with it , but it was still there choice to make.

Yes sir, you win.
I'm done here. I said my piece.

See, I was only trying to say that it's not about winning. It's about a nice, friendly discussion about tastes - which can be really rewarding, if it remains nice and friendly(or passionate, but still respectful).

I totally get your passion for the issue. I'm just seeing some unnecessary tension building up about a minor thing and my job here is to difuse such booby-traps before it gets all dirty.

So stay calm. Discuss. But please try speak in your name and respect other's views on the matter. In the end - it's up to CDPR to read this thread, take feedback and act on it(or not).

I kind of like the newer, brighter colors. It's a matter of taste imho. I don't notice much difference in textures, maybe it's a little bit worse. Nothing major.

Same. I think there's a lot of hyperbole being thrown around in this thread. I'm hardly going to delay playing Blood and Wine because my Wolven armor has some red stripes on it now. I usually run around without chest armor anyways to increase the difficulty :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom