Dear CDPR, please give us back the original armor textures

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if I somehow offended you. I didn't mean to.

The atmosphere is something that developers should care about. Not the players.
But we had awesome armors for over a year now, which fit the main game perfectly. We also had a choice, like for Skellige there was the Skellige armor which fits perfectly for the region. But now, just to implement new feature, they sacrificed the whole previous atmosphere which we had in the game for the good of releasing the new expansion. The new expansion shouldn't influence that much on the main game. There are a lot of problems which were asked to take care of (like the timeline conflict with B&W and main quest post-game), but developers stated that Blood & Wine is completely different story and should be played that way. Why then they thought it is a good idea to redesign the armor sets which we use 90% of the time playing the main game? Why didn't they make the new specific armors which would fit Touissant better and let them apply the dying mechanic? That is what bothers me. As a player, I think it is unfair and unlogical..

I understand the REASON why the Devs did it. Think of it like, how limiting it would be, if you only can dye your new armor. I find this decision isn't the problem here. Like i said, and i will say it again: Its not like i claim, CDPR did a perfect Job here They could've done it better, because to take away something from the Game is never an good idea. I mean even if the Armor would've gotten 1000 Times better than now, people still would complain because it would still look different. I mean heck, i even know complainers who claim that the new Triss looks ugly compared to the Witcher 2 triss, because she looks a bit different. I mean obviously she looks different, witcher 3 have better graphics etc, so the devs have more freedom to visually create the character like they meant to. So yeah, they could've done better job. I mean again, my solution would've been if you let the Armor untouched, (so not to dye it) they could have still used the old Armor-model, however if you go to toussant, and change dye, your Model would have changed to the new one. (as explaination - so your armor have to be overhauled by the smith so you dye the armor) - or again a optional Setting so you still could use the old one.

But that was never the point of the Discuss here anyway. Its more about how people claim their opinion as an fact...

I understand the REASON why the Devs did it. Think of it like, how limiting it would be, if you only can dye your new armor. I find this decision isn't the problem here. Like i said, and i will say it again: Its not like i claim, CDPR did a perfect Job here They could've done it better, because to take away something from the Game is never an good idea. I mean even if the Armor would've gotten 1000 Times better than now, people still would complain because it would still look different. I mean heck, i even know complainers who claim that the new Triss looks ugly compared to the Witcher 2 triss, because she looks a bit different. I mean obviously she looks different, witcher 3 have better graphics etc, so the devs have more freedom to visually create the character like they meant to. So yeah, they could've done better job. I mean again, my solution would've been if you let the Armor untouched, (so not to dye it) they could have still used the old Armor-model, however if you go to toussant, and change dye, your Model would have changed to the new one. (as explaination - so your armor have to be overhauled by the smith so you dye the armor) - or again a optional Setting so you still could use the old one.

But that was never the point of the Discuss here anyway. Its more about how people claim their opinion as an fact...
I didn't claim my opinion as a fact. I was just trying to say that besides our opinions there is an atmosphere created by the developers. As example - can you imagine how would ancient armor fit in medieval period? I doubt that you can say in that case what you think it would fit good - it would make no sense at all. I know the example is a bit radical, but it just shows evidently that our opinions doesn't matter here, because for specific atmosphere there is specific world design made and other things.

I don't believe those of us who are unhappy with the change harbour any illusions about our role in the CDPR's artistic process. The decision has been made by the developers - a decision some of us disagree with - and this thread is simply pointing out the issue.

We all wish for the discussion to remain civil and productive (the tone of the OP is indicative of that), but let's not dismiss any and all of these concern as simply 'artistic differnces'. This change does not render the game unplayable, but it definitely is noticeable and might impede the enjoyment of it for some of us.

I don't think there are any demands voiced here - just questions and suggestions.

this thread sure went of the rails here and there since i was gone o.o
some like the new. some like the old. it's unreasonable for either side to request to force their choice on the other side.
and while yes. mods fix this. it only fixes it up to a point. and console users can't mod their game.
so my suggestion is a toggle. or maybe make use of the new dye system to be able to change between them (i got no clue how that dye system works btw)
but either way. the one thing I'm pretty sure we can all agree on we want back. so i would really love it if they could give another shot at trying to up that

PS. why is it so hard to respect others their opinions and not force your own down others their throat?

this thread sure went of the rails here and there since i was gone o.o
some like the new. some like the old. it's unreasonable for either side to request to force their choice on the other side.
and while yes. mods fix this. it only fixes it up to a point. and console users can't mod their game.
so my suggestion is a toggle. or maybe make use of the new dye system to be able to change between them (i got no clue how that dye system works btw)
but either way. the one thing I'm pretty sure we can all agree on we want back. so i would really love it if they could give another shot at trying to up that

PS. why is it so hard to respect others their opinions and not force your own down others their throat?
Mods are perfect for dying. Why would they change the most important armors, and then say to the players that there are mods to bring it back? Man, I could dye my armor 24/7 with the mods before that update and without any loss in details. So the arguement that there are mods fixing this is kinda not right.

Mods are perfect for dying. Why would they change the most important armors, and then say to the players that there are mods to bring it back? Man, I could dye my armor 24/7 with the mods before that update and without any loss in details. So the arguement that there are mods fixing this is kinda not right.

1 thing. the devs never said that. it was other people in this thread that pointed that out. and thats why i put my argument in my message saying that we shouldn't rely on mods to fix this issue.

1 thing. the devs never said that. it was other people in this thread that pointed that out. and thats why i put my argument in my message saying that we shouldn't rely on mods to fix this issue.
Sorry, I just did a mistake writing about the players. I am not native english speaker and that's why it is a bit hard for me to express what I really mean. However, seems like you understood me.

Guess the witcher sets got.... optimised!

Personally I feel that the dye system does not justify sacrificing the original quality and feel of those armours, especially considering they have been the way they are for a year and players would have long made their choice on which one they like by now.

I am glad that someone stepped up and already released a mod, if it breaks the dye system than so be it, but I do wonder how the grandmaster versions will be treated, they will probably look a bit off compared to the pre-1.21 witcher sets.

the new colors on armors looks like plastic compared to vanilla, when it reach something as important as Geralt armor i wonder if they even care about art direction at this point ? looks like making him a flashy walking clown was more important than proper texturing/shading

unless this is a bug and they are aware of it

Besides all these oversaturated colors, in the new design most of these armos pieces don't match between each other. Wolven armor has bright red and black on the jacket and bright-yellow-olive on the pants. Other armor has that problem too. Aesthetically it doesn't seem beautiful at all.

Also, I believe no-one will ever argue that these blue/purple lines must be fixed:
https://i.imgur.com/bM11vuS.jpg

Look closely here on the bottom of his chainmal on the stomach:
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1535-0-1464636240.png
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/952/images/1535-0-1464636082.png

But I have a question. Do armor detailed and new design are incompatible? Because if I understood that the real debate wasn't so much the new design that the lack of detail such as scratch and so on. Because I don't understand why less details would be okay. Of course when it comes to design everyone have tastes of his own. But isn't the lack of details the real deal here? I am not sure that Walterius implies much else. Or I didn't follow correctly.

I quite like how they look now, to be honest. It's not really a big difference but it makes the armors less washed out and bland.

Hum... i admit i don't like those new colors, too much vibrant (look at the cat set !) i always have prefered less vibrant, fade colors. The new blood red ursine set is killing me!

Maybe we can dye the sets now with blood and wine. But waiting the level 40 for having a nice color for my armor still soo long...

Last edited:
The easiest solution for CDPR probably could be to introduce a special kind of dye that, once applied restores the original pre-1.21 texturing.
Might be something to consider for 1.22 or whatever.

Edit: Or a toggle like the new one for switching off the automatic drawing and sheathing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom