Dear CDPR, please give us back the original armor textures

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's also weird. The cloth physics are looser and now clip. I really enjoyed wearing the base Ursine armor because of the really nice cloth physics on the long chest piece. In an interview about B&W (can't find it now) one of the devs said they improved cloth physics. Well it's noticeably lighter and loose looking, but it clips through itself, it never did that before, part of the reason I found it so cool was that it didn't clip. Not sure about the visual changes in this patch...

Having same issue with the CareMore in armor with a blue thread on the right shoulder. It's driving me nuts and I absolutely hate it

Among the other issues already pointed out, Cidarian cavalry and Thyssen armors both seem messed up now too. The cloth around the neck is a bright red which is clearly out of place. They definitely botched this.

Last edited:
Looks like the mod doesn't restore _everything_ to its pre-1.21 original texturing/coloring?

That's the Mastercrafted Ursine Trousers pre-1.21 (left hand) and the supposedly restored "original" via the mod on the right.
I have the "All-In-One" version of Scoutbr0's Original Witcher sets mod installed.

Recolored Armors after 1.20

somebody noticed recolored armors after the patch?
my cidarian cavalry armor is quite different. something like an vibrant red scarf appears on it.
just look:
View attachment 44131

---------- Updated at 02:16 AM ----------

for those who do not remember how it looks before:
View attachment 44141

Attachments

• redscarf.jpeg
    redscarf.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 629
  • oldversion.jpg
    oldversion.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1,625
Nauseating tacky change in favour of a gimmick which I've never seen any of my Witcher-playing friends express any desire for. I know I certainly don't care about dyes myself. If it has to be implemented anyway, why not implement dyes only for *new* Blood & Wine armour sets, rather than sets that people have long ago grown accustomed to and put effort into crafting based on their established aesthetic?

The new UI is one thing - I think it's the exact opposite of an improvement, but I understand the impulse to tinker with UI because it affects gameplay and functionality. Going back and altering fine details and colours on all the best armour sets in a game that's been out over a year, however, is simply stupid. Hey, why not remodel Geralt's face so that it matches better with fashionable Toussaint hats too? Change his walk animation to the hands-on-hips strut by default so he has a courtly swagger? Alternatively, why fix what isn't broken?

Once we try dying the new armors, the changes might be inconsequential.
What about the people who won't get Blood & Wine? They're fucked then.

And from what I've seen, there aren't thaaaat many dyes. The Griffin and Cat gear are both the same "type" of color, but more vibrant/saturated. So I doubt you'll get those back. Ursine and Wolf, maybe, but I don't think you'll be able to change his underjacket back to red.

What about the people who won't get Blood & Wine? They're fucked then.

And from what I've seen, there aren't thaaaat many dyes. The Griffin and Cat gear are both the same "type" of color, but more vibrant/saturated. So I doubt you'll get those back. Ursine and Wolf, maybe, but I don't think you'll be able to change his underjacket back to red.

I support the idea of the dyes - we don't know the extent of them yet. But it does seem like something got fucked up here. And console users have no recourse to fix anything, so maybe REDs need to look into it.

To illustrate my point more clearly, this is what your original Kaer Morhen armor diffuse texture looked like:

http://i.imgur.com/n7xHel6.jpg

Now, in order to implement the dye thing, your armor texture is reduced to something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/FbC7426.jpg

It is a slight exaggeration, but it shows quite effectively exactly what they did. And I find it quite unacceptable.

I didn't even I worked on the game.
I mean, those edits are on my beginnnig levle

Well mods are okay but i don't understand why they have colored half of the armors of the game in a more vibrant tone which is awfull. Dyes don't excuse and justify that.... More they seems to have less details and lower quality now. I admit this blood red ursine armor with low res details make me cry.

Really hope the came back in a future patch...

Last edited:
You know what's also weird. The cloth physics are looser and now clip. I really enjoyed wearing the base Ursine armor because of the really nice cloth physics on the long chest piece. In an interview about B&W (can't find it now) one of the devs said they improved cloth physics. Well it's noticeably lighter and loose looking, but it clips through itself, it never did that before, part of the reason I found it so cool was that it didn't clip. Not sure about the visual changes in this patch...
Yep, i noticed it aswell. Clipping was quite a rare occurance before, whereas now it is really, really evident. :hope:
I understand they wanted to make the cloth feel more "alive", making it move more and react better to the wind, but the overlapping of the textures really bugs me.

To be honest i don't like the choices the devs made regarding the armors. The colors looked much more "real" before the patch and Geralt's attire looked as "bleached" and worn out as you would expect it to be, given that we're talking about a man who spends most of his life on the road, wearing the same combat\travel attire for long periods of time......
Now instead the witcher sets look brand new.... as if he just bought all the gear he's wearing.
I understand this might have been a conscious choice by the devs.... afterall Geralt now owns a cozy home, he doesn't sleep on the road anymore and, who knows, maybe he even puts on some pjs every night, in order to better preserve his combat attire :lol:

....... but i gotta say, despite all that, that coloring still looks kinda "out of place" to me..... and the overall look of the armor feels quite "cheap" and less detailed than it was before the patch..... but that might be just me (afterall i'm hardly an expert in this stuff).

Anyway i'm not really complaining here, just voicing my opinion (irrelevant though it may be). I'm not expecting the devs to actually revert to the way the armor looked before the patch....... but i have to admit i would absolutely love it if they did.

.....If you could do something about the clipping at least, that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
^

I have to agree. This feature doesn't really make sense to add for this particular game, especially when it compromises stuff like quality, etc. This isn't an MMO, nor a sandbox-based game. I also think this kind of 'dying' feature in games almost never looks well. It makes the textures look like they were colored in using MS paint.

Why do you speak in name of some illusive group of gamers? And why console gamers deserve to have their armor textures restored when the developer decided they deserve at least a small customization option for a character that is not customizable in any other way(and lot of people were at least as upset about it as you are about armor textures)?

I understand the point of dying, to make more customisable option. However, I also believe that ppl, who don't want to get B&W for one reason or another, should not suffer because of this.
A decision has been made, to match the Toussaint colors, and whatnot. I believe that the best option would be to restore the original armors, like they were in 1.12, and include this lower quality, dyeable versions of armor in the expansion itself, not an outside patch.
Because, then, ppl who don't get the expansion will have the original, good textured armors. And the ones, who get the expansion, will have the option to dye them.

But as just a single guy, what could I know about "best decision" :shrug:

Last edited:
Terrible suggestion. I would not recommend Nvidia Experience suggested settings to anyone.

Own both a GTX 970 and GTX 960M and am quite happy with the settings for 1080p resulting in smooth and fluent gameplay for all my supported games (**even** *Assassins Creed Unity).

The easiest solution for CDPR probably could be to introduce a special kind of dye that, once applied restores the original pre-1.21 texturing.
Might be something to consider for 1.22 or whatever.

Edit: Or a toggle like the new one for switching off the automatic drawing and sheathing.
The "special kind of dye"-solution would be... odd, to say the least.
I don't see them implementing a switch or something for toggling off the dyeable armors though, so the "special dye" actually might be the only feasible thing to do.

I am not a fan of what they've done to the Witcher armors either, especially the Wolven Witcher Gear, that red looks bad and out of place. I'm hoping that they find a way to make this optional, please CDPR!

Own both a GTX 970 and GTX 960M and am quite happy with the settings for 1080p resulting in smooth and fluent gameplay for all my supported games (**even** *Assassins Creed Unity).

Nvidia Experience is inaccurate. If you're truly content with using it then by all means carry on, but do know this - Using Nvidia Experience for all of your games will sometimes have graphic settings lower than what your PC can handle i.e. Shadows on High, when your gaming PC is capable of Ultra shadows etc.It's been known to recommend having entire features/settings turned off when in reality you can run these settings no problem!

You're always better off tweaking graphic settings manually.

Last edited:
TW3 had the best in-game cloth textures & physics of any game I've ever played. Why they'd want to futz with that is beyond me. I loved the base Ursine & Wolf armor tops w/ no upgrades because of the incredible cloth rendering, but now both look a bit worse and a lot more cartoonish. boo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom