Dear CDPR, please give us back the original armor textures

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kind of like the newer, brighter colors. It's a matter of taste imho.
in the new versions the colours are more visible, the former versions are dull compared te the new ones
Yeah, that blue is definitely brighter and more visible in some locations :)

And the red scarf - sweet! ;)

blood and wine colors and textures break from the visual language of the game and are inconsistent with the rest of the design. future players will not have the same experience as pre 1.2 players. whether you like it or not is, yes, an opinion, but the new visual design applied to the entire game is a poor decision. it ruins the witcher 3 aesthetic the team worked hard to produce.

^ Amen to that.
Take into account some really headscratchingly bad and shoddy redesign choices made to the UI as well and you can't help but wonder if they either took some days off before release and let the interns do the finishing touches or if they outsourced the work on some assets (like Witcher armor, UI) to an external company altogether.

Also, that armor update and retexture somehow influenced the clothing of NPCs. I started my new playthrough, and I can see these bright blue/purple outlines which are visible on Kaer Morhen and Viper armor sets on NPC clothing. I am in Velen already and noticed that glitch ot the lady in tavern in White Orchard who gets her nose broken before the fight and on attire of the Eternal Fire priest who gives us a sidequest in which we are asked to burn the bodies. Fix it please.

Also want the original armor textures back, also the manticore upper glove color https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O72XQyQRAXQ/maxresdefault.jpg teaser and this http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...et_full.png/revision/latest?cb=20160521125849 this is white, the other is black? the white upper glove version is appearing for me as the main menu version, but im seeing both versions in gameplay screenshots and i don't really get it, that has to be a bug right? judging from original witcher the upper glove being black is how it's supposed to be, this gotta be a bug.

did they only change the witcher armors?
I was playing and noticed the armor on a redanian soldier was pretty low res and I think even some clothes that some npc was wearing and don't really remember noticing that before
I play at 1080p and everything ultra on pc btw.

The new armor textures aren't even mentioned in the changelog, if they change something they should atleast mention it there, so is it really a feature? feels like a bug to me, the purple lines on the starter armor and manticore armor upper gloves difference just seems really, really off

Also want the original armor textures back, also the manticore upper glove color https://i.ytimg.com/vi/O72XQyQRAXQ/maxresdefault.jpg teaser and this http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net...et_full.png/revision/latest?cb=20160521125849 this is white, the other is black? the white upper glove version is appearing for me as the main menu version, but im seeing both versions in gameplay screenshots and i don't really get it, that has to be a bug right? judging from original witcher the upper glove being black is how it's supposed to be, this gotta be a bug.
Agree. Teaser looks so much better.

---------- Updated at 12:48 PM ----------

did they only change the witcher armors?
I was playing and noticed the armor on a redanian soldier was pretty low res and I think even some clothes that some npc was wearing and don't really remember noticing that before
I play at 1080p and everything ultra on pc btw.
Don't know about details on NPCs armors, but I noticed blue/purple lines on the NPCs clothing too.

Some NPC armours or other armours like gamberson have they color changed and have a bright red neck now. Very ugly.

The bright colors are garish and bad, yes, but I could live with them if the clipping wasn't so outrageous. How did this get past quality control?

CDPR, you had created the best looking cloth/metal armors in video games, period. Nothing in any modern RPG even came close. Then you took something that was basically perfect, and turned it into a horrid mess just to implement a feature that nobody asked for? Abort, guys. Abort!

The bright colors are garish and bad, yes, but I could live with them if the clipping wasn't so outrageous. How did this get past quality control?

CDPR, you had created the best looking cloth/metal armors in video games, period. Nothing in any modern RPG even came close. Then you took something that was basically perfect, and turned it into a horrid mess just to implement a feature that nobody asked for? Abort, guys. Abort!
Couldn't agree more

It's not just about the colours but about the lost detail. I took some basic screenshots as a comparison with the restoration mod - please forgive the poor quality and the fact they're not zoomed in, but you can see it clearly even at a distance. Goes without saying how much more noticeable it is in cutscenes and conversations.

Look around the studs in particular. The pre-patch armour has obvious wear and faded colour around those, but as well as around the studs there's faded colour near the arm stitching, in the front at the bottom right corner, and also a big unique patch of flaked paint at the back down near the waist. The stitching around the little shield-shaped felt pads is also more noticeable on the old one. All of that detail is gone in the new version in favour of mspaint fill tool.

Last edited:
It's not just about the colours but about the lost detail. I took some basic screenshots as a comparison with the restoration mod - please forgive the poor quality and the fact they're not zoomed in, but you can see it clearly even at a distance. Goes without saying how much more noticeable it is in cutscenes and conversations.

Look around the studs in particular. The pre-patch armour has obvious wear and faded colour around those, but as well as around the studs there's faded colour near the arm stitching, in the front at the bottom right corner, and also a big unique patch of flaked paint at the back down near the waist. The stitching around the little shield-shaped felt pads is also more noticeable on the old one. All of that detail is gone in the new version in favour of mspaint fill tool.

Yes that's true. Even more there is now clipping too on those armors, and bug textures (purple line on right shoulder of Khaer Moren set) there is so much loose on armors right now...

This could have been such a good update: they added the possibility to manually sheathe the sword, enemy scaling, the ability to disable the auto-centering of the camera, the new UI and lots more
But why did you change the armors CDPR?? The new textures are awful (imo), I really want the old ones back pls!!!! And what's up with the clipping errors now? Look at this: http://imgur.com/0wgZ7ma
Never touch a running system, especially since nobody really wanted the feature to dye armors...
I really really hope they bring back the old textures and make the dying an option and not an obligation

I don't get why the "inferior" armour textures simply can't be loaded once dye of a different colour is actually is applied. Why mess with the undyed armour textures? :/

This feels to me like the most questionable change done to the game since the removal of slow walk.

Last edited:
I have noticied that the manticore armor (i finally get it) has the wrong color too. In a promotion artworks (and in the first game too) wrist armor color was black like in this picture:

(The two pictures on right and left have wrist armor black)
But it seems that in game armor have a white color on wrist armor (picture of the middle) which is far worse. Seems that you get a chainmail on NG+ too.
Hum...

This could have been such a good update: they added the possibility to manually sheathe the sword, enemy scaling, the ability to disable the auto-centering of the camera, the new UI and lots more
But why did you change the armors CDPR?? The new textures are awful (imo), I really want the old ones back pls!!!! And what's up with the clipping errors now? Look at this: http://imgur.com/0wgZ7ma
Never touch a running system, especially since nobody really wanted the feature to dye armors...
I really really hope they bring back the old textures and make the dying an option and not an obligation
So true. In my new playthrough I noticed a lot of clipping errors, too. Never seen them before, considering it's my third playthrough. Looks awful.

I have noticied that the manticore armor (i finally get it) has the wrong color too. In a promotion artworks (and in the first game too) wrist armor color was black like in this picture:

But it seems that in game armor have a white color on wrist armor (picture of the middle) which is far worse. Seems that you get a chainmail on NG+ too.
Hum...
Ekhm...but isn't it depend on used dye?

Hum...

I don't have any dyes and mine looks identical to the right and left armor. Mine definitely doesn't have the white from the middle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom