Dear Devs: Please don't take the RPG out of Cyberpunk 2077, don't make it only an Action-Adventure, but more importantly: talk to us, please.

+

Which would you prefer?

• Full-blown RPG

• Action Adventure

• Any old mix thereof

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, currently a lot of info is circulating about vital RPG aspects of the game, that have also been specifically promoted before, which might have been completely cut from the game.

Namely, the two big ones current are:
  1. Lifepaths/Childhood Heroes, in short: Character Creation Backstory and Motivation
    Is this really cut, can we really only choose from three different starting classes and that's it?
    Because if so, frankly, that's not an RPG anymore... that would be extremely on the side of Action Adventure... please don't tell us that the promotional semantic change was actually a shadow of such vital RPG aspects being removed completely from the game?

2. Multiple Appartmens apparently are no longer a thing, and even the one appartment can not even be personalized at least a little bit
    Again, if true, this feels like essential role-playing aspects being cut needlessly from the game, and it further reinforces the impression of a major paradigm change for 2077 and what kind of game it wants to be.
    CDPR has always spoken about 2077 being an RPG, a full-blown 1st person RPG, with meaningful choices, meaningful and in-depth character creation and background choices that would significantly influence how we experience the game and how the world reacts to us.
    A big part of that, I feel, is also the ability to express oneself within the game world, to have choice even outside the major story decisions, but rather choice for purely aesthetic questions, visual styles, to which appartments would also belong.

I strongly feel that it is high time for high level CDPR developers to issue a clear and transparant statement where they want to take us with this game:

1. a full-blown RPG with in-depth character customisation choices that go beyond the starting class and looks/mods of our character

or

2. an Action Adventure where our character is just a narrative device, but not an actual living, breathing being with an actually relevant and recognized backstory, motivation, aspirations?
Talk to us, CDPR -- this confusion isn't helping anybody, especially not right at the beginning of your pre-order campaign!

The clearer the picture of where the trip's aiming to take us, the easier for your loyal fans and supporters to make an actually informed decision as to wether or not this is the kind of game they will love to play.

Last edited:
1. Where did you get that information from? Nothing has been said about that, apart from one speculation thread in this forum.

2. Calling a housing system a vital RPG system is ridiculous. They may be putting it on the bench for now, because of time constraints etc. and relasing it at a later date (either as free DLC, or as part of an expansion).

Same with starting classes, there is no such thing. You can take skills from the three classes and build you character the way you want, as has been said multiple times before.

You are exaggerating, lacks of these features doesnt make a video game action-adventure, or vice versa. Tons of Role-Playing Games don't have features you mentioned, especially the multiple apartment stuff which i associate mostly with GTA series (not RPG), and we don't even know how the housing works right now, maybe its tied strictly to the storyline (like you deduced https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ar-de-interview.11008165/page-7#post-11580055). They definitely changed some stuff about the backstory, in the last demo you didnt have lifepaths actually, so they added it this year (street kid, nomad, corpo) They probably replaced Childhood heroes with Lifepaths... We don't have enough information about the other backstories like "Key life event" and "Why Night City" maybe they changed it for something different, maybe it still the same, i dont think it's cut, or maybe is? Honestly if they didnt know how to make them impact the game world and dialogues then no reason to keep them. I want to have meaningfull backstories which will have big impact on the dialogue choices and game world. Sometimes less is better.

1. Where did you get that information from? Nothing has been said about that, apart from one speculation thread in this forum.

2. Calling a housing system a vital RPG system is ridiculous. They may be putting it on the bench for now, because of time constraints etc. and relasing it at a later date (either as free DLC, or as part of an expansion).

Same with starting classes, there is no such thing. You can take skills from the three classes and build you character the way you want, as has been said multiple times before.

In almost all interviews when asked about character creator and background CDPR just answers with "You can choose where are you from: Nomad, Corporate, Street Kid" Somehow they forget? about the other choices like "Childhood hero" "Why Night City?" "Key Life event"

And we know they removed "Childhood hero" choice so I'm guessing they removed even those other two when they aren't mentioning them anywhere.

while i agree the more options to make the char our own the better -

but then the best RPG ever made had only one base, the endar spire, no options for chosen backgrounds and so fort. i am talking of course about KOTOR 1 & 2. And in the next best - the original deus ex - there is even less of options there. But what great great games they were (gota play them again!). Another great RPG was the bug riddeld mess of VtM:B with the least amount of personalisation of charackter & housing. But story and options how to progess along where amazing. that is what i more or less expect - a broadspectrum of ways to play the game - to make it mine. and in that regard i am absolutly sure cdpr will deliver.

the rest - great to have, but story comes first for me and with there track record - the option for expansions that give more options for housing, backgrounds and visual are always there.

The RPG part is still there; We can shape V in different ways. Yes there's limits, but I hope you know what I mean. It's just their origin story that they seem to have changed. Most likely because of our interactions with, and the importance of, Johnny Silverhand.

It's been confirmed that the childhood hero choice is gone, at least, and the devs have only ever said "Lifepath" when referring to nomad, corporate, or street kid backgrounds. Sure sounds like one choice (question) to me.

A housing system is not vital in an RPG, but it's pretty standard in a lot of them. And the devs said there would be multiple apartments in the past, thus people are disappointed.

CDPR seems to be very pleased with both the reception of the game to date and the preorders. I think they said it's already eclipsed Witcher 3?

All is going well from their end.

If your definition of an RPG doesn't match theirs, well, they have to make their game.

They might communicate more, but don't expect a lot on this front. They want people to have surprises when they play.

If you aren't sure, just wait for reviews to come out.

CDPR is very pleased with both the reception of the game to date and the preorders.

If your definition of an RPG doesn't match theirs, well, they have to make their game.

They might communicate more, but don't expect a lot on this front. They want people to have surprises when they play.

The OP didn't say anything that contradicts that.

He raised two concerns the community has, and asked for an official statement.

Whether or not CDPR wishes to issue one is entirely up to them. They seem to be an awful lot more talkative lately, so... I dunno. Doesn't seem impossible to me.

CDPR is very pleased with both the reception of the game to date and the preorders.

This isn't about anyone's subjective definitions, this is about the amount of conflicting statements coursing around the net... feature in, feature out, scope reduced, scope not reduced.

The game officially being called an RPG, the game officially being called an action adventure.

That's what I'm hoping CDPR will comment on, remove the confusion, so that people can get a clearer picture of what this game wants to be.

The OP didn't say anything that contradicts that.

He raised two concerns the community has, and asked for an official statement.

Whether or not CDPR wishes to issue one is entirely up to them. They seem to be an awful lot more talkative lately, so... I dunno. Doesn't seem impossible to me.

He's asking for an official statement - CDPR gets a lot of those requests.

His official statement is for, what? CDPR to say it's an RPG? They've said that repeatedly. Officially.

And he did suggest that it would be best for preorders if they did this now or soon. Preorders are going well, most people don't seem to need another statement that it's an RPG.

It's an RPG.

And as for getting a clearer picture of what the game is, that would be quite some statement. There are plenty of initerviews and reports and even some gameplay, with more on the way.

There will be lots more interviews and reports as well. The game is an RPG. That's it.

Yeah, it would be nice to have someone from CDPR to talk about how the game is now and what changed from before because... well you can see why here and on other places. People got questions, forks in hands and they want clear and honest answers because they are confused.

But apparently if we want answers we will have to wait until PAX West to see the changes. So in the meantime... well. There probably be a lot of questions and angry people.

CDPR seems to be very pleased with both the reception of the game to date and the preorders. I think they said it's already eclipsed Witcher 3?

They should at least communicate what is and isn't going be in the game for sure. At some point.

Last edited:
They should at least communicate what is and isn't going be in the game for sure. At some point.

That seems fair and is....only they can only tell us so much, because spoilers.

I think in the next few months we'll see such a list - we will be compiling and updating the FAQ and Dev answers here form those interviews, for example.

But everyone wants the REDs to answer their questions, as soon as possible. You should see all the requests and DMs we get for CE stuff and whatnot.

There have been changes since last year, we were told there would be. Some offer more choice - non lethal playthrough - some offer less: one apartment.

It's also the weekend for CDPR after a huge and very tiring E3.

Give it a few days at least.

That seems fair and is....only they can only tell us so much, because spoilers.

I think in the next few months we'll see such a list - we will be compiling and updating the FAQ and Dev answers here form those interviews, for example.

But everyone wants the REDs to answer their questions, as soon as possible. You should see all the requests and DMs we get for CE stuff and whatnot.

There have been changes since last year, we were told there would be. Some offer more choice - non lethal playthrough - some offer less: one apartment.

It's also the weekend for CDPR after a huge and very tiring E3.

Give it a few days at least.

No doubt, but all we got is time to discuss and rant.

Sorry lol

Also i don't think things like not having apartments or different classes. Or the game being more narrative focused.

Is really a spoiler.....but we'll see.

Last edited:
This is a dead horse I've been beating for years.

CP2077 is what it is, a shooter with RPG elements and that's not going to change.

And I think you're nearly 100% wrong, although I respect where you're coming from.

And that's not going to change.

Cyberpunk 2077 will be a -great- RPG, where I will play a role not very much like myself at all, doing things I could never hope to do, in a world I will never live in, during a story I'll never experience in real life.

The choices I make, based on what my character would do, will affect the world around her and create the interactive, character-growth-driven story that is the heart of every true RPG.

A great Role Playing Game and a classic for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom