Dear Devs: Please don't take the RPG out of Cyberpunk 2077, don't make it only an Action-Adventure, but more importantly: talk to us, please.

+

Which would you prefer?

• Full-blown RPG

• Action Adventure

• Any old mix thereof

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think that "not having stats" automatically makes the game "less RPG".
Well... It does help determine if you are, for example, strong enough to punch a hole in a wall. Otherwise how you decide who can do what (and what's the end result) when they want to perform an action?

Well... It does help determine if you are, for example, strong enough to punch a hole in a wall. Otherwise how you decide who can do what (and what's the end result) when they want to perform an action?

You can have your character described to you: simplest example - if you are playing as Batman, you know that he is extremely strong - you don't need stats for that.

Pre-set/made characters are nothing new to RPGs. Ask anyone who's played one at a Con. To save time the characters are almost always pre-generated. So Geralt in the Witcher series is nothing unusual/special in an RPG.

The main "point" of an RPG is character agency.

Because stats permit to differenciate an customise people, and RPG is about simulation of playing as someone else (that's the difference between RPG and Make believe).
Without stats, you are playing with you abilities, not your character's.

RPG is "playing a role" obviously. Stats are not necessary to do that. Most of the PNP RPG sessions I've played evolved into ones based on descriptions, not stats. Obsession with stats kills the narration most of the time.

RPG is "playing a role" obviously.

Yes, but that's not quite enough for a description. It's a game of roleplaying not just doing playpretend, which is to say it has to provide grounds for and support the act of roleplaying. And for a game to communicate it's world, actions, events and results to the player, and the player his character to it, it needs rules and statistics to measure these things. That's the game part of an RPG, the G in the acronym. PnP can of course bend over backwards for anything, but fun as it may be (yeah, I've done it too), it's not really a "game" if you simply have an interactive storytime with friends that only relies on the GM fiat.

"Roleplaying" as a lonesome term is just an aided (by a game, or a script, or what ever) or aidless acting out of imagination which you can do with any game or without a game at all, anywhere and anytime.

You can "roleplay" in Pong or Tetris or Solitaire if you're up to it.

But that's enough from me on that. I've done this way too many times.

Last edited:
Yes, but that's not quite enough for a description. It's a game of roleplaying not just doing playpretend, which is to say it has to provide grounds for and support the act of roleplaying. And for a game to communicate it's world, actions, events and results to the player, and the player his character to it, it needs rules and statistics to measure these things. That's the game part of an RPG, the G in the acronym. PnP can of course bend over backwards for anything, but fun as it may be (yeah, I've done it too), it's not really a "game" if you simply have an interactive storytime with friends that only relies on the GM fiat.

"Roleplaying" as a lonesome term is just an aided (by a game, or a script, or what ever) or aidless acting out of imagination which you can do with any game or without a game at all, anywhere and anytime.

You can "roleplay" in Pong or Tetris or Solitaire if you're up to it.

I never said you don't need rules, world creation and so on. I just stated that lack of stats does not make the game any less RPG. And if your sessions were "interactive storytime with friends that only relies on the GM fiat" then I'm sorry for you. You team and GM sucked.

I'm currently playing The Division 2.
Many players complain that the game only caters to DPS, with no other role to play: can't play tank, can't play healer, there is only DPS. However, TD2's roles are those of a fire team: in combat, a sniper has a role, a shotgunner has a role, a heavy gunner has a role, and one can even play a medic role, but not like one would expect from a classic holy trinity setting.

So, I guess we all can argue what defines a "role" in a "role playing game", but to me is simply what you do and how you do it, regardless of what allows you to do what you do, being coded game constraints (stats, weapon type, etc) or playing style.

There isn't an ISO for "RPG".

One thing I did just recently notice is in Yong Yea's detailed description of the new Private demo showing at E3.
Yong described the Character Stat page as having
LESS descriptors(Stuff like >Int,Strength,Charisma,Cool,Tech,etc,those RPG type stats),then last year. Watch the video then compare from last time. Streamlining? idk...Or have they made more changes along the way? No biggie,but when I saw this post it reminded me of Yong's hour long point by point analysis.

I watched Yong's video too and am now 99.99% sure I'll never be able to play Solo build in CP2077. He really stressed the fast paced action combat needing to move, dodge, and shoot.

Didn't some journalist or another try to claim the combat looked lackluster? I wonder if they saw the same demo ...

I'm starting to like this forum more and more as time goes on...

- XYZ make an RPG...
- no ZY make an RPG, but X isn't needed...
- you're wrong
- no, you're wrong!

I feel like I'm just going to start adding fuel to the fire in random threads more and more.. this is hilarious

I watched Yong's video too and am now 99.99% sure I'll never be able to play Solo build in CP2077. He really stressed the fast paced action combat needing to move, dodge, and shoot.

Didn't some journalist or another try to claim the combat looked lackluster? I wonder if they saw the same demo ...
Oh... I'm sure the combat is atrocious... You'll be wishing for them to implement a combat mechanics out of W1!

-------------

How am I doing? :beer:
Post automatically merged:

One thing I did just recently notice is in Yong Yea's detailed description of the new Private demo showing at E3.
Yong described the Character Stat page as having
LESS descriptors(Stuff like >Int,Strength,Charisma,Cool,Tech,etc,those RPG type stats),then last year. Watch the video then compare from last time. Streamlining? idk...Or have they made more changes along the way? No biggie,but when I saw this post it reminded me of Yong's hour long point by point analysis.
That's not entirely true. Yong lists 5 attributes:

- Body
- Intelligence
- Reflexes
- Tech
- Cool

The difference vs. last year's stats is in the "Body" attribute which replaces "Strength" and "Constitution" attributes, however... if you note, in the original PNP, there are no STR/CON attributes, but rather "Body". Heck, Yong himself outlined this in last year's video:

So, while this time around the player might be left with one less attribute to choose from, it is closer to the original PNP source material.

Last edited:

The problem is that these reports are subjective and based on the reporter's own preferences. We'll just have to wait for the actual demo to make our own calls.

Yeaaaah..don't do that, thanks.
haha... no worries. I know my limits and I've been in your shoes some years ago (high stakes game under development by ex Blizzard North crew that ultimately failed)... good times... but moderating wasn't as bad back then. Social media wasn't what it is now, and while people were getting upset, I don't recall many instances of people boycotting the game because Devs decided not to use ComicSans font for their game logo. :coolstory:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom