December 2018 Update Overview

+
So? It creates a precedental case where they gave the reasons for changes. So now the question is, why don't they do this anymore?

Because they are facing unprecedented backlash and are trying to make Gwent survive.

So? It creates a precedental case where they gave the reasons for changes. So now the question is, why don't they do this anymore?
Cause that's what they do since. Don't ask me why, it's what they do. With everything.

rrc

Forum veteran
crach is not listed in the changelog

redraws 4 => 3
Are you sure? I specifically asked Bruza and he mentioned NO. If Crach has got a reduction in Mulligan, then it is the best thing about the patch.

CDPR specifically stated that there would be no communication during the update process over the last six months. Now that it's released, they have communicated the the changes included in the update.

I'm not seeing any issue here. Let's keep things constructive, please.

If you find an error that you can recreate and it's not covered in the patch notes, please report it to Tech Support. As always, feel free to discuss them on the boards as well! (Just ensure you're searching for existing topics before starting a new one. Remember: a single thread generating a lot of responses is far more likely to get attention than multiple, similar topics appearing here and there over time.)

Are you sure? I specifically asked Bruza and he mentioned NO. If Crach has got a reduction in Mulligan, then it is the best thing about the patch.

I have and will keep old versions in my database.
The current patch has no leaders with 0 or 4 mulligans.

1544122284877.png

So...it has been three days since the update.
I tried very hard to find a thing to enjoy, but couldn't any. I think I am going to just quit at this point.
I am a big fan of Gwent ever since the beta, and a level 3-13 (means reached 60 twice and 13 again) Revealer, so I took the "balance adjustment" directly. Even though my reveal deck was not very strong but I get the public's point.
The thing that I am very disappointed at is the weird way things were "balanced", and overall decrease in "fun".
For last three days, I won only twice and lost every single game(unless the other player forfeited in the beginning), but at my level, wining/losing doesn't really matter. I just want to have fun playing the games, but it is not as exciting as it was before.

For my reveal deck itself, the damage it gives has decreased significantly, as well as the power getting from revealing certain cards. And with the other cards that were "balanced" too, it is almost impossible to "flip" the game if you are losing. I value when a player turns the table whole around at the end of the game, as well as I do when I do too. However, with this weirdly designed balance, if you are losing from the beginning, you just lose in the end. SOOOO BORING. I read all the comments from the other players here and I can feel the frustration. I kept giving it a shot but the update is pretty unsuccessful at making the game even more fun. I thought I was just feeling that because of my deck was specifically weakened greatly, but seems like other players feel the same. How do you guys feel about overall excitement?

There is too litle consistency, because of high cost thinning.
I think cdpr should revert clearsky to previous form and make it cheap so we can get some thinning.
:mad:

All the more reason to increase communication with the community

Lol I think you need to find some other devs to communicate with. As far as Gwent is concerned, CDPR is not the champion of communication these days.

The thing that I am very disappointed at is the weird way things were "balanced", and overall decrease in "fun".

Have you considered that the only form of balance the current Gwent Developers are capable of are nerfs?
I think it speaks volumes about the developers of this game - the type of game they've created and where the game is ultimately heading. Whoever is in charge is very bad at their job - the spread of frustration is a sign, demonstrably, of their shortcomings.

The idea of Gwent's current inclination is just a gradual downward spiral; it seeks to "balance" the game by slowly mutilating itself in every aspect possible because it lacks perspective; because how else will these cards be balanced? Or perhaps even introduce a pay-to-win system in future updates.

The more and more I think about Gwent, the more I realize the current developers are the issue. Even if the people who asked for Gwent Beta to be returned, they would slowly over time nullify it. Unless something changes with the developers this game is as good as dead.

Last edited:
However, with this weirdly designed balance, if you are losing from the beginning, you just lose in the end. SOOOO BORING.

Do you mind clarifying? Haven't noticed much difference in regards to getting behind myself.

I have noticed more delays in the game play. I'm assuming it's based on latency or something because it tends to happen in games where the "opponent trying to reconnect" box comes up. Card plays, orders, etc. feel sluggish. Not sure if they changed something to cause this problem. Before when playing against players presumably from distant regions it would appear they were roping but felt like it was more based on the region gap. In other words, they would appear to take forever to play a card but only because the.... communication was taking that long. Now it feels more.... client side.

Some say TUTOR CARDS limited the design space, now look what provision did via patch, now the form of balance mostly is +/- 1, how this is supposed to be creative, what a diversity you got there!!!

Last edited:
Have you considered that the only form of balance the current Gwent Developers are capable of are nerfs? ...
Duuuude, this ALL they are doing since I started playing two years ago. They've learned next to NOTHING in that regard.

My view of the changes:
  • New card added: Hemdall - for 9 provisions the guy is only usable as Eist finisher. 1 trick pony, not very interesting.
NEUTRAL
  • Xavier Lemmens: recruit cost changed from 8 to 10; ability changed to "Deploy, Melee: Banish up to 3 cards in enemy graveyard. Ranged: Banish up to 3 cards in your graveyard." - GOOD change. This card was cancer, and I'd rather it does not exist at all. It's the same level of cancer as viper witchers and mill decks.
  • Vesemir: power changed from 4 to 3 - GOOD change. No card should be an auto include in all decks. The trio witchers were such cards.
  • Lambert: power changed from 4 to 3 - same as above
  • Eskel: power changed from 4 to 3 - same as above
  • Ciri: power changed from 6 to 4 - BAD change. 6 to 4 is an overkill. I think they killed the card
  • Roach: power changed from 4 to 3 - BAD change. Roach was fine, the only issues for me was that the trio witchers pulled him too, which was a bit too much.
  • Frenzied D'ao: power changed from 7 to 6 - GOOD direction, BAD change. 7 to 6 is hardly any different, the card is still way too powerful
  • Regis: recruit cost changed from 11 to 13 - BAD change. Card was fine as it was. Most of the time it was breaking even.
  • Epidemic: recruit cost changed from 8 to 9 - GOOD change. Card was overused.
  • Dragon’s Dream: recruit cost changed from 9 to 12 - GOOD change. Not enough stuff removes row effects at the moment. Nerf was needed.
  • Scorch: recruit cost changed from 11 to 14 - GOOD change. Now you really give up a lot of alternatives if you want to align scorches.
  • Bomb Heaver: power changed from 4 to 3; recruit cost changed from 6 to 5 - GOOD change. Should be more usable now.
  • Geralt: Igni: ability changed to “Deploy, Melee: Destroy the highest unit(s) on an enemy row with a total of 20 or more power." - BAD change. Scorch was better. Now it's still better
  • Ciri: Dash: ability changed to “After 5 turns, on turn end, draw a card.” - BAD change. what survives 5 turns with 5 point body? Not ciri:dash....
  • Wolfsbane: recruit cost changed from 8 to 9; ability changed to “Damage all units with even power by 2, or damage all units with odd power by 2.” - GOOD change. Was overused and OP.
  • Saesenthessis: Blaze: recruit cost changed from 12 to 11 - GOOD change
  • Elf and Onion Soup: recruit cost changed from 7 to 6 - WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?
  • Trial of the Grasses: recruit cost changed from 9 to 8 - WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?
  • Myrgtabrakke: recruit cost changed from 9 to 8 - GOOD change
  • Iris von Everec: recruit cost changed from 9 to 8 - GOOD change
  • Iris' Companions: power changed from 4 to 5 - WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?
  • Skellige Storm: recruit cost changed from 10 to 9 - WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?
MONSTERS
  • Eredin Bréacc Glas: Leader ability changed to “Boost a unit by 3 and give it Immune.” - BAD change. Probably the weakest monsters leader nerfed. Why?
  • Arachas Queen: number of redraws changed from 1 to 2 - No idea here
  • Caranthir Ar-Feiniel: power changed from 4 to 3 - No idea here
  • Alpha Werewolf: power changed from 5 to 4 - GOOD change. too cheap provision cost here.
  • Forktail: power changed from 5 to 4; recruit cost changed from 5 to 6 - GOOD change. Was too powerful for a bronze
  • Ruehin: recruit cost changed from 11 to 12 - No idea here
  • Wild Hunt Warrior: ability changed to “Deploy: Damage a unit by the number of Wild Hunt units you control.”- WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?

SKELLIGE
  • Savage Bear: recruit cost changed from 4 to 5 - GOOD change. Beastmasters needed a harder time provision wise
  • Drummond Queensguard: recruit cost changed from 6 to 7- WTF change. Why kill this card? Why? Why? WHY?
  • Lippy Gudmund: recruit cost changed from 8 to 10 - BAD change. Lippy decks were not at the top of the meta.
  • Wild Boar of the Sea: power changed from 5 to 4; recruit cost changed from 10 to 11 - GOOD change. Fk this + wolfsbane
  • Gremist: power changed from 2 to 3; ability changed to “Order, Ranged: Play a bronze Alchemy card from your graveyard.” - BAD change. One more dead card now.
  • Udalryk an Brokvar: recruit cost changed from 7 to 6 - WTF change. Who uses this? Who will use it now?

NORTHERN REALMS
  • King Foltest: number of redraws changed from 4 to 3 - No more 4 mulligans leaders (Crach included)
  • King Henselt: number of redraws changed from 2 to 3 - GOOD change. He needed the buff
  • Rivian Pikeman: conditional damage amount changed from 3 to 2 - GOOD change. Had a bit too much damage
  • Foltest’s Pride: recruit cost changed from 8 to 9 - No idea here
  • Anna Strenger: recruit cost changed from 6 to 7 - No idea here
  • Prince Stennis: number of charges given changed from 2 to 1 - BAD change. Dead cards anyone?
  • Damned Sorceress: Reach value changed from 2 to 1 - BAD change. Why....
  • Sabrina Glevissig: damage amount changed from 3 to 2; recruit cost changed from 7 to 6 - BAD change, who needs another lacerate...
  • Reynard Odo: recruit cost changed from 10 to 9 - No idea here
  • Trebuchet: recruit cost changed from 6 to 5 - GOOD change
  • Reinforced Trebuchet: recruit cost changed from 6 to 5 - GOOD change
  • Draug: recruit cost changed from 12 to 13 - GOOD change. Too cheap for Foltest combo.
SCOIA’TAEL
  • Filavandrel: number of redraws changed from 4 to 3 - No more 4 mulligans leaders (Crach included)
  • Eithné: Leader ability changed to “Order: Damage a unit by 1. Charge: 4.” - GOOD direction, BAD change. Why does Ethne still have so many mulligans? Wtf? She should have 2 mulligans tops.
  • Panther: recruit cost changed from 5 to 6 - GOOD change. Sucked only in a ST vs ST match
  • Dol Blathanna Bowman: power changed from 3 to 2 - GOOD change
  • Milva: power changed from 4 to 3 - GOOD change. Overused
  • Blue Mountain Elite: now has Reach: 1 - BAD change. Seems a dead card to me now.
  • Dol Blathanna Bomber: power changed from 3 to 2 - BAD change. Nerf the damage, not the base...
  • Vrihedd Officer: recruit cost changed from 5 to 6 - GOOD change. Was an auto include
  • Sheldon Skaggs: power changed from 2 to 3 - No idea here
  • Gabor Zigrin: recruit cost changed from 10 to 9 - No idea here
  • Isengrim Faoiltiarna: recruit cost changed from 10 to 9 - No idea here
  • Mahakam Volunteers: recruit cost changed from 6 to 5 - No idea here
  • Half-Elf Hunter: Reach value changed from 1 to 2 - No idea here
  • Malena: now has Zeal - GOOD change. A bit more usable now.
NILFGAARD
  • Morvran Voorhis: Leader ability changed to “Order: Reveal a random card from your opponent’s deck and boost an ally by 2. Charge: 3.” - GOOD direction, BAD change. Needed a nerf, but I don't think this makes him an interesting leader
  • Emhyr var Emreis: number of redraws changed from 2 to 3 - GOOD change. A bit more dependable now.
  • Usurper: number of redraws changed from 0 to 1 - HORRIBLE CHANGE. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE. Why would you let usurper have more mulligans thatn 1 mulli leaders when he gets the +1 from coin toss? WTF?
  • Slave Infantry: recruit cost changed from 6 to 7 - GOOD change. Still OP tho.
  • Deithwen Arbalest: damage amount changed from 2 to 1 - GOOD change. Fk reveal fests
  • Daerlan Soldier: power changed from 4 to 3 - GOOD change. Fk reveal fests
  • Recruit: recruit cost changed from 4 to 5 - GOOD change. Fk reveal fests
  • Sweers: recruit cost changed from 8 to 9 - GOOD direction, BAD change . Still insanely OP.
  • False Ciri: recruit cost changed from 8 to 7 - GOOD change
  • Hefty Helge: power changed from 2 to 3 - GOOD change

• Fixed an issue whereby Botchling’s power resets after transforming into Lubberkin. - WTF? This wasn't intentional? That was why the card was good... Now it's barely usable.

First of all, I think the changes were pretty good. After playing it for several days, I feel like the dominant decks are less dominating and there are some more reasonable tech inclusions now, such as Iris or Bomb Heavers. To those bellyaching about the pattern of +1/-1 buff and nerfs, new Gwent is waaaaaay more sensitive to those than old Gwent. The point ceiling is so much lower, so every point matters, especially combined with a card's provisions cost. I feel like most of the complaints I'm seeing are people being partial towards or against specific leaders or archetypes. Anyways, I have great faith in CDPR and still love this game.

• Fixed an issue whereby a plugged in joystick or racing wheel could break mouse input.
It may be fixed for physical controllers, but not for vJoy (it needs to be uninstalled for game to run properly and I need this application).

It may be fixed for physical controllers, but not for vJoy (it needs to be uninstalled for game to run properly and I need this application).

try steam. add gwent to steam and use big picture to configure your controller.
never had troubles with that.

• Wild Hunt Hound can now recognize whether it is the highest unit, thus enabling its own conditional ability when appropriate.
- bug is still here. Faced in ranked and tested in practice. Hope support will not miss ticket, because bug is known

I wish we had some kind of patch note information, like we are changing card X because it isn't as strong as others of it cost or card Y is changed since it has a very high win rate when combo'ed with card Z. Or better yet just provide us access to behind the scene card stats that CDPR has than you don't even need to put the above WHY IT WAS CHANGED notes on updates as we could just look freely at the data and know why the game meta needed to shift.

Top Bottom