Decent RPG with normal cutscenes like Witcher 3

+
Read Dead Redemption 2.
Yeah, I know it's not an RPG, but post-W3 I gotta say it's the only game that compares in terms of quality and immersion, if that is even possible.

I would also suggest Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, but it's Japanese so doesn't fit the criteria.

Combat is super fun, graphics good considering it's from 2013, story at least in my opinion good. Cutscenes are way better than Skyrim's but the player character is not voiced.

Action adventures are my bread and butter, same with real time hack and slash combat so I mainly played those games . So I decided to try some RPG and started looking online how games look in order to buy them ( PS4 console ).

I check Skyrim with some other RPG and I was shocked to see how stupid cutscenes are played there for example :
- your character does not have own voice just text appears.
- other NPS are just standing in one place , looking in one direction and only movement is opening their mouth .
- in others just text appears not even basic cutscene where chatacters stands in one place like mentioned above.

No real cutscenes were characters actually move and perform some action , where they feel alive like real persons .

How can people even praise games like Skyrim ?

How can you get real immersion with story when cutscenes are so badly done ?

Now I understand even more why Witcher 3 is such big deal , it is really game changer with great open world , nice combat , great graphics , memorable characters and amazing story .

Finally my question :

Is there any RPG that has : fantasy / medieval ( or older) settings with decent real time combat ( not turn based ) with normal cutscenes like in Witcher 3 ( no Japanese RPG please)

BTW I did play souls games and new Assassins creed games which share some similarity to Witcher 3 , also played Diablo 3 and kingdoms of Amalur reckoning.
I bet in 10 years somebody post something similar about witcher 3, how people could praise that game, when you can play rpgs in a complete VR by default even with low performance systems and the whole game feels like what today is a cutscene.

But to be honest, immersion is not everything. I play games (no matter the genre) to have fun. So even games like Shadowrun return with a grafik level that reminds to old 486´er PC´s can entertain if they shine with other features.

You sound a little bit spoiled by present triple A games detail level, could that be?

I would also suggest Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, but it's Japanese so doesn't fit the criteria.
Combat is super fun, graphics good considering it's from 2013, story at least in my opinion good. Cutscenes are way better than Skyrim's but the player character is not voiced.
Nice, less than 10E, bought :)

Dragon age series is cool. Mass effect as well (different setting). Not sure for PS4 but if you give laptop/pc a chance Divinity 2 is also up there. Baldurs gate both of them has excellent storylines and finally Witcher 1 and 2. If you are more interested in cut scenes then I suggest the LOTR movie trilogy

DRK3

Forum veteran
Well, the Bioware franchises - Mass Effect and Dragon Age - are the closest ones to the Witcher in how they're structured, with particular emphasis on the dialogues and choices that lead to different outcomes.

I think both Mass Effect 1 and The Witcher 1 were released in 2007 and CDPR even asked Bioware for their engine to make their game, they were like the Polish apprentices, but the evolution between each witcher game was much bigger than in either DA or ME trilogies, and by the time The Witcher 3 came out, the apprentices became the masters (although i still love the ME trilogy and highly recommend it).

Ehm... The Yakuza games, although I wouldn't call them RPGs, have a bit in common with Cyberpunk. Lots and lots of cutscenes, lots and lots of action, a shitton of side content and fun cities (albeit a lot smaller in size) to explore.
Plus it has karaoke! :p

And just now I realized this thread was about Witcher 3 and not Cyberpunk. Time for bed me thinks. Ah well, my opinion still stands, Yakuza rocks!

Maybe Kingdom Come Deliverance is worth trying for you, checks quite a lot of boxes.

To me, the mass effect trilogy is what you're looking for, especially if you like premade characters (which at that point i'd recommend waiting for the remastered edition). Also the dragon age (altho a bit more traditional combat wise and less actiony, rdr2, the yakuza serie... im sure im forgetting alot. But between all the games i've told you you have ATLEAST 6 months worth of playing time lol.

IMO skyrim has nothing to do with what you're looking forward. Skyrim is more of a sandbox rpg. To me it sounds like you're looking on a story focused rpg with a defined protagonist. Dunno why people are even suggesting that game tbh. Aside the fact you can ride a horse.

Action adventures are my bread and butter, same with real time hack and slash combat so I mainly played those games . So I decided to try some RPG and started looking online how games look in order to buy them ( PS4 console ).

I check Skyrim with some other RPG and I was shocked to see how stupid cutscenes are played there for example :
- your character does not have own voice just text appears.
- other NPS are just standing in one place , looking in one direction and only movement is opening their mouth .
- in others just text appears not even basic cutscene where chatacters stands in one place like mentioned above.

No real cutscenes were characters actually move and perform some action , where they feel alive like real persons .

How can people even praise games like Skyrim ?

How can you get real immersion with story when cutscenes are so badly done ?

Now I understand even more why Witcher 3 is such big deal , it is really game changer with great open world , nice combat , great graphics , memorable characters and amazing story .

Finally my question :

Is there any RPG that has : fantasy / medieval ( or older) settings with decent real time combat ( not turn based ) with normal cutscenes like in Witcher 3 ( no Japanese RPG please)

BTW I did play souls games and new Assassins creed games which share some similarity to Witcher 3 , also played Diablo 3 and kingdoms of Amalur reckoning.
I still don't understand to this day why Skyrim won GOTY in a world where TW2 existed... I cannot praise this game enough. If you have only played TW3, I strongly recommend it, 'cause IMO is even better (I consider it CDPR's Magnum Opus in fact).

Masss Effect Triogy and Dragon Age are a no brainer. Fantastic characters and and story, great world building (in my opinion, the world of Thedas and the way its story is told is the best and most complex in all of gaming), fun combat, lots of choice and consequence, nice graphics. As for DA:2, for me, the story is actually brilliant, but that's another discussion...

Bethesda games really do require the most suspension of disbelief than any of game worlds. You can absolutely get lost in it, but once you see the edges, the whole thing starts to feel like a cheap, animatronic play ground with clearly robotic characters.

Meanwhile, in Cyberpunk I can clearly see that many NPCs have little to no A.I. and, yet, in just a few glances here and there, a smile from a girl on a dance floor and I can often completely forget that they are just paper dolls, executing randomized scripts.

The NPCs in Riot are the best, CDPR should look to that code base for inspiration on how to make crowds in all their mission locations.

Isn't the Mass Effect trilogy remaster coming out soon? Okay, it isn't fantasy, but sci-fi. Other than that you should really play those games if you haven't already. Ending notwithstanding.
Yes and I am completely beside myself about it!! Great series that hits all the notes, except being sci Fi versus fantasy.

As for silent protagonists, I think they work in some games... It sometimes distinguishes the player as either the protagonist (not voiced) or an observer along for the ride (voiced).

Top Bottom