Decided to give homecoming another shot

+

Thanks for reminding me why I left.

Control counters engine. Who would've thought... :think:
Anyway, charge is indeed not good atm. Try Meve + mahakam ale. Anything that can boost a later turn (thunderbolt). imo that helps a fair bit.

Control counters engine. Who would've thought... :think:
Anyway, charge is indeed not good atm. Try Meve + mahakam ale. Anything that can boost a later turn (thunderbolt). imo that helps a fair bit.

Before the midwinter update a year ago most decks could play their synergies to a certain extent and control was about countering key cards. You had to know what type of deck your opponent was playing and it was actually fun for both sides. Baiting removal/lock was part of the game. You can't bait anything when 7 out of 10 cards is removal/lock cards.

Control vs engine was never a one sided matchup.

So with removal baiting mind games gone, tempo dynamics gone, spies and card advantage game gone, dry passing to ensure long rounds gone, bleeding round two gone how is this thing even called "homecoming"? Everything that made gwent special is no longer there.

I was desperate to change decks, so spent a tonne of scraps and stuff on a ST deck with Eldain, I thought it'd be interesting.

It's really not. It's effing dreadful.

The "new deck" experience is actually MORE boring than plodding through with a decent deck winning some, losing some. More boring because of the screenshot above. No matter what you try, it's just counter, counter, counter, counter. Oh, until you play a Monster Woodland deck, then you just have to watch as 8, 8, 9, 10, 12 strength units get plonked on the board with no real strategy whatsoever. Had to quit when the oppo had five cards on the board, including Speartip, Golyat, Caldwell, Ice Giant and a 1 power Foglet. I played Waylay and there's no prizes for guessing which card of theirs was "randomly" destroyed.

Honestly, the game's a bit of a joke now - no longer get angry, just laugh at the predictable mechanics and predictably random cards the opponent seems to have selected which PRECISELY counter anything you want to achieve.

Having got bored to death of playing the same MO deck against the same decks (Gerni most typically, though SK Lippy/Coral too often to be considered fun) I changed to ST. Immediately I played at least 60% of games vs Brouver. There's clearly some kind of matchmaking algorithm, but if you're not running the META with your leader, you're going to lose. It's broke af.

Agreed, Don't netdeck and you will struggle to win. Because we all have time to play this game for 6 hours a day like the PROs do.

It's unfair in it's current state. They should lock cards until you have progressed to a certain rank. That will stop all of us having access to PRO decks in the beginning.

If Foltest's Pride isn't countered, that could lose the opponent the game. So, if people see Demavend, of course they are going to keep counters for the threatening stuff. Regardless, you've played a full engine deck (paper) against a full control deck (scissors), which kinda has a predictable outcome. However, if you faced a value deck (rock), your engines should have easily been able to win.

Sure, Homecoming has its share of problems, but that one match is putting things out of perspective. I suggest you also try different type of decks and other factions. Control decks will always remain, but not everyone will be playing it.

Control vs engine was never a one sided matchup.
Except it kinda was...It always have been and not only in Gwent but in any CCG really.
I'm not saying that Gwent is ballanced from that perspective, clearly engine decks could and should get some love but Control vs Engine has always been going clearly to one direction.

So with removal baiting mind games gone, tempo dynamics gone, spies and card advantage game gone, dry passing to ensure long rounds gone, bleeding round two gone how is this thing even called "homecoming"? Everything that made gwent special is no longer there.
Except there is still removal baiting, card advantage, dry passing to ensure long round and bleeding round 2...More than ever in fact.
Maybe you lack of practice and need some time to get used to the changes but clearly there is something you didn't understand or did wrong to get to this conclusion.

Can somebody help me out before I lose my bloody mind;

I have played against countless Skellige decks and every one without fail has those discard units, Birna and Skald, which every, single time seems to burn either Morkvarg, skirmishers or - 9/10 - both.

So to try and add variation to this dreadfully dull game I moved away from my Yen/Eredin and have created an Anjolf deck, including, for obvious reasons, Birna, Skald, Morkvarg and Skirmishers. I have now played FIVE games on the bounce and not ONCE have I got Birna either in the same hand as or drawing Morkvarg or Skirmisher. Am I doing something wrong??? I can play the Witchers to thin, makes not a jot of difference. Why can I never seem to do what my opponent seems to be able to do at will?

The three cards still in your hand in a match like this says you are not really that good a player, at least for homecoming

The three cards still in your hand in a match like this says you are not really that good a player, at least for homecoming

You're taking out of your ass. You don't know what the first 5 cards were. Did you see the point difference? The only way I could win is to bet on my opponent not having any removal left (after removing half of my hand denying all points), play foltest pride and start charging it up.

You know why you keep coming back?
It's because you still have hope this game can become better.
I am in a similar spot, and it's not that I have different taste so homecoming does not appeal to me while Beta Gwent did.
I don't want to go back to Beta Gwent (rip silver spies.. XD)
But I think HC can do much much better than this!

I suggest you also try different type of decks and other factions.

How would this make a change? It don't work at all. All decks run the same cards like unicorns, gimpy, golem and sorta. So your *different* decks should do as well include those cards or lose the game. I tried all combos possible in this version of Gwent. It's useless.

But we have to say that the new coming expansion seems to bring a lot more depth...
The problem is: will it be enough by itself or a big tweak on many other cards and design is needed? I think the latter..
But I agree also with the new policy of CDPR: slow good changes. It's important that they do not fear to make big changes (with the time needed of course) even to core mechanics... But they already changed a core mechanic (aka mulligan attached to leaders) and the game become better...
I hope they will go on with this direction..

How would this make a change? It don't work at all. All decks run the same cards like unicorns, gimpy, golem and sorta.

Some neutral cards can fit in a lot of decks, that doesn't necessarily make those decks the same, nor does it mean you have to do the same thing. Besides, Unicorns are getting nerfed (again).

Furthermore, OP was running a full engine deck, which plays completely different from a control deck or a value deck. There are still plenty of different decks out there, but a multitude of players are just playing Gerni because it's easy and simple or they are copying (Midrange) netdecks because they cannot or do not want to craft their own decks.

Top Bottom