[Deck] Monsters Weather

+
[Deck] Monsters Weather

http://imgur.com/a/4XiRp

Hi!

The deck is made to use the annoying weather effect (as usual in weather monsters builds) while using Thunders and Tremors to remove other units and Caretaker to revive them.

On the Melee side, we have:
  • Wild Hunt Riders x3: make the deck thinner so we can draw useful cards easier while still being a decent 9 body
  • Wild Hunt Warriors x2: can be either a +5 or a +7 advantage (counting the damage to the opponent) and combines well with weather effects. Only 2 of them because having more than 1-2 in hand is too much
  • Frost Giant: a 14 body and Scorch bait for Sarah, nothing to say here
  • Caranthir: Frost effect + 12 body, standard in weather decks
  • Geralt: decent 12 gold body, but can goes out for an Imlerith
Ranged row:
  • Foglets x3: mills themselves, revive and offers a decent body with fog effects
  • Ancient Foglet x2: good if we can play it early with one fog, it can grow pretty fast
  • Woodland Spirit: offers a +16 body without counting the enemy's weakened enemies, usefull fog effect to mill or revive de foglets and adds more bodies so oppossing trebuchets have less chance of hitting the good units
On the Siege row:
  • Water Hag: rain effect, wich is usefull agains heavy siege decks like NR
  • Sarah: Can check other weather decks while also buffing with our weather effects
  • Caretaker: good to counter revive decks by removing key units from the graveyard
Finally, the events:
  • Frost and Fog effects: since our deck relies a lot in weather, having a couple of basic weather effect will always be useful, specially for the fog
  • Stammelford's Tremors: good area removal that combines well with weather effects. Right now I only have one, but I'm thinking on adding the second
  • Alzur's Thunders x2: good removal for weather inmune units. Specially useful to kill early game units if we don't want to spend our weather effects too early
  • Scorch: if things goes out of control, scorch provides a fast solution that can potentially hit multiple targets
  • Dual weather effetcs: +8 to Sarah and double hate to the rows
My concers with the deck is that sometimes I feel I have too few rain effects. I wish I could add an Aeromancy, but my silver spots are too tight. I also have my doubts about the events, all of them are useful but I sometimes feel I need more Tremors and, when I add them, I don't find a use for having 2 in hand.

Any help or tips will be very appreciated :)

Attachments

• photo77310.png
    photo77310.png
    585.3 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
With Dagon as leader you've got three rains in there, so that's probably enough. Do dual weather cards definitely add +8 to Sarah?

There are 2 cards that will reeeally help your deck. 1. Dagon 2. Ragh Nar Roog. Sarah gets 12 points with the latter. Then you can remove the hailstorm, biting frost and impenetrable fog cards. I don't find much use for the water hag when you have Dagon either.

Vellax;n6937850 said:
With Dagon as leader you've got three rains in there, so that's probably enough. Do dual weather cards definitely add +8 to Sarah?
Yup, dual weather gives +8 and Ragh Nar Roog adds +12. Sarah is really awesome.

n6george;n6937850 said:
There are 2 cards that will reeeally help your deck. 1. Dagon 2. Ragh Nar Roog. Sarah gets 12 points with the latter. Then you can remove the hailstorm, biting frost and impenetrable fog cards. I don't find much use for the water hag when you have Dagon either.
I'm using Eredin instead of Dagon right now because I usually prefer board pressence that is inmune to weather and removal. I might try Dagon for a while, though, but I find it really predictable. Ragh Nar Roog works awesome with Sarah, I might change Geralt since it's the weakest golden card. Would you prefer Rag Nar Roog instead of Imlerith? Also, I don't think it would be enough to add them to take out Hailstorm + Frost + Fog + Naga. Having at least 6-8 weather effects adds too much consistency to Weather Monsters.

Why Borkh? I've only seen it used once, but the impression I get is that the three turns before it takes effect is more than enough time to give your opponent the chance to mess things up so you can get hit instead of him.

Dagon is predictable in what way? You mean because your opponent knows for sure you've got a weather card that can be used at any time? True, but I find his versatility to be invaluable, and I don't even run a Weather deck as my main.

yenni;n6939800 said:
cancer^w effective deck. I suggest adding Borkh instead of Geralt though.
I find Borkh too predictable and easy to play around, and also have few synergies with weather. I haven't tried it, though, why would you recommend it?

I have been doing some testing and changing -1 Thunder +1 Warrior since sometimes I found myself running out of power. I can also confirm the power of the Caretaker, it's working so well right now.

Dagon is awesome against other factions, the problem is that around 40% of the games will be monsters vs Monsters where Eredin is much better than Dagon .

Vellax;n6940100 said:
Why Borkh? I've only seen it used once, but the impression I get is that the three turns before it takes effect is more than enough time to give your opponent the chance to mess things up so you can get hit instead of him.

Dagon is predictable in what way? You mean because your opponent knows for sure you've got a weather card that can be used at any time? True, but I find his versatility to be invaluable, and I don't even run a Weather deck as my main.
ThePrody;n6940190 said:
Dagon is awesome against other factions, the problem is that around 40% of the games will be monsters vs Monsters where Eredin is much better than Dagon .

That's the main problem with Dagon, its weather effect is great against other decks but useless against other monsters. Dagon is an Aeromancy that the other player knows you have in hand and can play around it. Eredin is a +10 strength that is inmune to most removal and keep my weather effect hidden. I'll try Dagon again for sure, so I will do with Ge'Els, but on paper Eredin seems better overall.

Mkushrom;n6940290 said:
That's the main problem with Dagon, its weather effect is great against other decks but useless against other monsters. Dagon is an Aeromancy that the other player knows you have in hand and can play around it. Eredin is a +10 strength that is inmune to most removal and keep my weather effect hidden. I'll try Dagon again for sure, so I will do with Ge'Els, but on paper Eredin seems better overall.
Even in the mirror, Dagon can buff Sarah and Ice Giant and let you mulligan away weather but yeah, all that can go both ways. Running Dagon probably means you're running one less weather card however and that can help. Hopefully as the game evolves and cards like Woodland Spirit and Caranthir get nerfed, Weather will be slightly less prevalent but still powerful. I think in the long run Dagon will be the way to go but right now you might be right.

Your deck is pretty different to mine though, I don't like Biting Frost or Merigold's Hailstorm. Instead I run a second fog (until I get Dagon) and a Skellige Storm which gives me 5 fog effects, 2 rain effects and 2 frost effects. I probably care more about fog because I run a third Ancient Foglet and double Thunderbolt. Thunderbolt is super good in this deck, it has so many targets between Foglets, Riders and Woodland Wolves. I'm not hugely keen on Wild Hunt Warriors unless you go the Nithral route, and I find Lacerate the most flexible bronze removal but your mileage may vary with that. I'm stuck with Scorch atm too but eventually I'd cut it for Aeromancy and Geralt:Igni instead of Geralt.

Last edited:
Why would Caranthir and Woodland Spirit get nerfed? NR has Philipa (who is the most op golden card atm),The Baron (who starts a chain of mass ressurrects) Shani (who also starts a chain of mass ressurects),Scoia'Tael has Isengrim (who if played right is a game changer) Aglais (who if combined with Geralt:Igni wipes out almost all the enemy board),Skellige has Madman Lugos (who goes in over 17 strenght and that's a big deal considering u play it at the end when the oponent doesn't have many cards left).But 2 cards that cast a weather effect are too much?

I think Caranthir is likely to be nerfed and Woodland Spirit is certain to be nerfed, both cards are extremely efficient and powerful in a Weather deck. They both do everything the deck wants to do. Weather immune, weather effects and lots of smaller units for Thunderbolt synergy. Woodland Spirit would be a great card if it didn't have the side effect of summoning foglets which is funny to think about. If Caranthir was nerfed, I'd expect the hounds to go down to 1 strength each. If Woodland Spirit was nerfed, I'd expect the wolves to be removed completely. Would they still be very powerful and auto includes in Weather? Yup.

They're not the strongest cards in the game but they're the strongest cards in Weather, obviously I expect Philippa to be nerfed as well.

Well if they remove the Wolves from the Woodland Spirit then the card is useless.I would replace it with a simple fog weather card and add some other Golden card instead (Brokh,Geralt:igni,etc,).The only reason i don't do it now is because those wolves can be buffed with a Thunderbolt Potion and that adds value.As for Caranthir's dogs to be reduced to 1,that would only make them vulnerable to Wild Hunt Worriors and Imlerit's effect,not much of a difference but if u think that would make that much of a difference,sure why not.

KaynOfNosgoth;n6943230 said:
Well if they remove the Wolves from the Woodland Spirit then the card is useless.I would replace it with a simple fog weather card and add some other Golden card instead (Brokh,Geralt:igni,etc,).The only reason i don't do it now is because those wolves can be buffed with a Thunderbolt Potion and that adds value.As for Caranthir's dogs to be reduced to 1,that would only make them vulnerable to Wild Hunt Worriors and Imlerit's effect,not much of a difference but if u think that would make that much of a difference,sure why not.
You wouldn't run a Woodland Spirit who brings 13 power and a weather effect but you would run a Caranthir who provides 10 power and a weather effect?

2 thunders is overkill, i wouldnt even use them really, but if you really want, use just one. Your weathers are your board controls. An even for weather immunes, AoE damage will be much more effective than single damage, specially because the only relevant weather immunes that you actually face and can hurt (non-golds) are other monsters.

Dont see why dont use ciri or igni instead of geralt. Specially since you are using eredin. I think ciri is a must really, together with avallach. Hell i would even try to stick a decoy in there. You know why monsters suffer against really good decks of other factions? Card advantage. You can weather down whatever you want, if you opponent has card advantage you are really in a bad situation. Its not just weather removals/counters, its that he can buff his cards even under weather and you cant do sh*&t about it, and since monsters has such a little power potential they dont even need that much buff to beat you.

I would run Caranthir mostly because i want a Wild Hunt oriented deck,but the spirit no.A fog effect would provide 6 power,as for the 7 power that comes from the Spirit itself,i can always add Geralt:igni and i would get more value.

No Title

I've built a very similar deck and I have to say this is the best deck I have. Its definitely a little more budget than yours, but I still win 9 out of 10 games with it. Just some random opinions on the deck:
1) I would rather run Eredin than Dagon. Dagon immediately tips off my opponents to the fact that I'm playing weather and they can mulligan accordingly, whereas with Eredin they have no idea what my game plan is until the second round usually, because I start with the "play big monsters and pass" strategy and follow it up with a round or two of constant weather effects that my opponents have not prepared themselves for.
2) Woodland spirit needs to catch a nerf, that card plus three foglets alone is a 16 point swing. And if it fogs the opponents creatures you can easily get a 25 point swing. From one card not played in conjunction with anything else and with no other setup than "have three foglets in deck or graveyard." I vote for lowering its base power to 3 or 4 (or maybe 2, honestly) and making it silver (but still immune to fog). Possibly even drop it to 2 wolf spawns. If you look at my decklist, my deck is full up on silvers and there are plenty more I want to put in. If woodland spirit took up a silver slot, it would significantly weaken my deck.
3) This deck is actually fairly easy to disrupt, provided the opponent has a full compliment of clear skies. The problem is, against almost every other matchup, clear skies is a dead card. No one has that card in the deck and it is the sole counter to monster weather. CDPR could make a silver neutral that is essentially clear skies on a stick. Give it 6 power or so and it would be much more viable to run that than just clear skies and this deck would be significantly weaker.
4) Overall I think monster weather will eventually wind up getting countered by more advanced decks and builds, but for the current starter deck meta, nothing can hold a candle. Weather disrupts every single currently viable strategy (Skellige discard, Skellige graveyards, NR promote, whatever scoia'tel does) with the only decks capable of putting up a fight being skellige graveyard shenanigans. Once people have more cards with immunity to weather and begin to utilize them, I think this deck will fall down the totem pole slightly, but weather probably needs some kind of nerf. It is currently too good.

Edit: Also, my current go to starting play is wild hunt riders + thunderbolt potion. 21 points on the board, I don't feel bad about keeping a 7 with frost protection into the next round with monsters passive, and it baits out lacerates and scorches like you wouldn't believe. I WANT players to use those cards first round, because I can easily set up an ice giant round or a foglet round knowing the other player doesn't have the proper removal.

Attachments

• photo78150.png
    photo78150.png
    891.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Laveley;n6943430 said:
2 thunders is overkill, i wouldnt even use them really, but if you really want, use just one. Your weathers are your board controls. An even for weather immunes, AoE damage will be much more effective than single damage, specially because the only relevant weather immunes that you actually face and can hurt (non-golds) are other monsters.

Dont see why dont use ciri or igni instead of geralt. Specially since you are using eredin. I think ciri is a must really, together with avallach. Hell i would even try to stick a decoy in there. You know why monsters suffer against really good decks of other factions? Card advantage. You can weather down whatever you want, if you opponent has card advantage you are really in a bad situation. Its not just weather removals/counters, its that he can buff his cards even under weather and you cant do sh*&t about it, and since monsters has such a little power potential they dont even need that much buff to beat you.
I was running Ciri but I changed her for Caretaker thinking more on board advantage, but I might return to Ciri and take Geralt out. And you are right, after some playtest 2 thunderbolts are too much, even more when I have Scorch. I'll do -2 Thunders make a spot for another Tremor and maybe a Thunder Potion or another weather effect.

EDIT: New version of the deck featuring Ciri and a Thunder Potion and removing the Alzur's Thunders and Geralt. Also waiting to get an Aeromancy and thinking to get the last double weather card
weatherv2.png.jpg

Last edited:
Foglets do no benefit high level Monsters decks, such as one with these expensive cards. Because whatever good they bring is gone betweem rounds, and having them on the battlefield means they can and probably will be selected for the Monster passive for the next round.

The same applies to wild hunt riders, to a lesser degree.

That's 6 cards spots on your deck that 2 nekker warrior can replace with benefits. check my deck proposition:

http://www.gwentdb.com/decks/6786-nekkers-ragnarok

Top Bottom