[Deck] Monsters Weather

+
yenni;n6979710 said:
Mkushrom
I think you don't need that scorch, because your units are usually the most powerful on the board, aren't they?
Scorch is mostly used for things that goes under control and weather immune units. You can also use it as a bluff, making your opponent think you don't have an specific weather in hand. That said, I have had some situations in which I keep the Scorch for too long and it becomes a dead card in my hand.

I think that Scorch is going to be replaced for DB once the patch is out, the ability to reset gold units is too strong against NR. But I still have to test it, along with Dagon instead of Eredin and other stuff.

How do you see the state of the deck now that weather, Sarah, Eredin and Frost Giant have been nerfed?

Mkushrom
Sarah was just a cute little icing on the weathercake anyway.
Um, I think that Eredin was sorta kinda buffed, actually. Especially paired with passive monster ability change. He is a nice firstround scorchbait and paired with Cirilla still provides a consistent card advantage.
Frost Giant now keeps additional buffs when leaving frost? Isn't that something good for you?

Clear skies is still trash. It doesn't change green to neutral, but it doesn't add back you lost basepoints. A single copy won't do much against weather-heavy deck. And it is still a deadweight against any other deck.

So weather-monsters will just become stronger after the announced patch.

yenni;n6984720 said:
Mkushrom
Sarah was just a cute little icing on the weathercake anyway.
Um, I think that Eredin was sorta kinda buffed, actually. Especially paired with passive monster ability change. He is a nice firstround scorchbait and paired with Cirilla still provides a consistent card advantage.
Frost Giant now keeps additional buffs when leaving frost? Isn't that something good for you?

Clear skies is still trash. It doesn't change green to neutral, but it doesn't add back you lost basepoints. A single copy won't do much against weather-heavy deck. And it is still a deadweight against any other deck.

So weather-monsters will just become stronger after the announced patch.
Well, +3 instead of +4 means that scorch now will hit Sarah and Ancient Foglet at the same time, and that's pretty big. Also, she can be taken down with an Alzur's Thunder. She is not ruined, but you definetly have to play her more careful.

Eredin now can be taken down with Scorch, so Ciri + Eredin is no more a safe play. It wasn't good at high levels, but definetly not a buff.

The passive ability is kind of meh to me. Now it's more chance of getting a Foglet, though.

Frost Giant keeps additional buffs, but we are not buffing it unless you have a potion or you revive a unit that buffs it with Caretaker.

You are right about Clear Skies, but I hope I don't find more than one per deck.

Mkushrom
I suppose, you can just alter the rotation so that sarah won't match a.foglet.

That is exactly why I called Eredin a perfect 1st round scorchbait, see? minus 1 removal in opponents deck. And he still needs to place something on board to outnumber Ciri or he loses 1st round. If he wins - you get back Ciri and you gain +2 card advantage (+1 for any card he used to bea Ciri and another +1 for getting Ciri back after losing).

Ability is a nerf, unless you manipulate it into caring over pre-buffed unit.

If you manage to bait your opponent into using scorch on Eredin in r1 and Igni on Sarah in r2 then you can buff-up your Giant to try and carry him over to r3, or something.

yenni;n6991710 said:
Mkushrom
I suppose, you can just alter the rotation so that sarah won't match a.foglet.

That is exactly why I called Eredin a perfect 1st round scorchbait, see? minus 1 removal in opponents deck. And he still needs to place something on board to outnumber Ciri or he loses 1st round. If he wins - you get back Ciri and you gain +2 card advantage (+1 for any card he used to bea Ciri and another +1 for getting Ciri back after losing).

Ability is a nerf, unless you manipulate it into caring over pre-buffed unit.

If you manage to bait your opponent into using scorch on Eredin in r1 and Igni on Sarah in r2 then you can buff-up your Giant to try and carry him over to r3, or something.
And you have to play a double weather card if you don't want Sarah destroyed by a Thunder. I don't think Sarah is more viable than O'Dimm now, it's much less an staple in weather decks. Which frees a silver spot, on the other hand.

The good thing about Eredin + Ciri was to keep the Eredin while having card advantage. If the opponent is going to be able to do 1v1, we don't have board advantage. Eredin is not useless, but the nerf hit it hard. At least opposing Eredins can be revived with Caretaker, though.

I don't mind the ability nerf much, but maybe it's because I always end up having a Foglet lol. Keeping the gold cards for the last round will be safer now.

I have 800 scraps saved, I have to figure on what should I spend them. Aeromancy sounds cool, so do Geralt:Igni and Nithral, and I still have one double weather left. I'm not too fond on Avallach, but maybe it's because I don't know how to play it yet. Also I have to figure out if replacing the Eredin or not.

Mkushrom
I'd go for Igni because it's neutral and fits nicely in pretty much any deck.
Avallakh seems a bit underwhelming for a golden slot in monster deck.

yenni
Yeah, I think Igni is the safest solution, and will also allow me to take Scorch out to add more weather. I'm still figuring out what to take out for it, though, since Ciri is my only way to get card advantage and Caretaker is awesome to counter graveyard based decks.
Avallakh is another good way to get card advantage, but I think it works better with high damage units like Geralt.

EDIT: This is the build I'm working on, any thoughts would be welcome :)
weather2.0.png.jpg

Attachments

• weather2.0.png.jpg
    weather2.0.png.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
@Mkushroom
Do you find it beneficial to run so much removal? You have 7 weather cards, plus 2 tremors and 2 wild hunt warriors, and igni, AND alzurs thunder. That's 13 cards in your deck devoted to removal, I'm wondering if you ever have any issues establishing your own board. You could probably safely cut 2 or 3 of those (my vote is on tremors and/or merigolds hailstorm, since those dont put anything on your board at all) and add more cards to help play creatures or buff current ones (I run a singleton Thunderbolt Potion for the Wild Hunt Riders + Potion opener, but it also gets used as a last ditch foglet buff). Other than that, this looks like a solid deck. I'm actually debating whether or not to take out my third wild hunt warrior because it's such dead card in skellige matchups, so I'm also interested in how just two are working for you, and what it was you replaced it with. Cheers.

MrFloppyVII The deck is all about board control, so I don't think having lots of removal is a bad think. However, I do agree that 13 is a bit overkill, and sometimes I find myself not having enough power. I might take out the Thunder and replacing the Skellige Storm for Aeromancy as soon as I can craft it, and adding 1 or 2 T-bolt potions. Tremors are so good paired with weather (and the more units the opponent has, the more valuable it is) and Merigold's Hailstorm is preferred over Skellige Storm because most decks focus their strategy on the melee and siege rows and this is a direct counter to them.

About removing a Warrior, I have been running 2 for some time and I find it the optimal number. 1 is too unreliable and I usually don't one more than 1 or 2 in a game. It's dead vs Skellige and Tremors do their job better, with the only downside of adding nothing to your board (that's why we have 2 of each).

yenni are those griffins that good? I have never used them, but not being immune to weather and not adding card advantage to the board seems underwhelming to me. Caretaker does their job better, do you think having him + 2 Griffins is necessary?

Last edited:
yenni
I guess it could work for heavy graveyard decks such as Skellige or some NR variants, but I don't usually have problems with them because I tend to save one or two weather effects for the final turn. However, I think I'll try them, just in case they are better than I think.

I do have 200 scraps, what should I build next?
- Dagon
- Skellige Storm
- Save for Nithral or Aeromancy

No Title

I have been testing a new instance of the deck, using Dagon as the General. For now it's working pretty well, it's a more controllish approach with more weather and removal. I'm thinking about two other approachs, one is adding Nekker Warrior to copy the Foglets, the other one is adding the Griffins instead.

Dagon is proving to be so useful so far. Eredin is great but too weak to removal. With Dagon I can always ensure having 6 power on the last round, and I have an emergency weather effect prepared. Sometimes it may seems that it's too predictable, but I always keep a double weather card in my hand for when my opponent plays Clear Skies or DB.

attach7027730.jpg

Attachments

• photo81060.jpg
    photo81060.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 32
No Title

Trying the last version of the deck, now with Dagon and Griffins. They are awesome in this meta, counters Roach buff decks, Skellige and Revival Chains, I highly recommend them.

What do you guys think about my golds? I miss Ciri and Avallac'h, but the build is really tight since Spirit and Caranthir are a must and Caretaker and Igni are amazing techs.

attach7086670.jpg

Attachments

• photo82960.jpg
    photo82960.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom