Deck of the Day

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Today's deck is nothing out of the box.
I didnt have any time today, and yesterday did very few "test runs" with it. I could skip a day, or several days where i am still testing and finding out new things about the expansion, but i'd rather post anyway and just be straightforward when the deck came out less than ideal or wasnt tested properly.

[DECK OF 10-06-21]
[BOUNTY COUNTY]

I know, the name of the deck is probably the most original thing in it...
Or tavern brawl, but i put it in pretty much all of my SY decks :shrug:

SY is still at the top of the game, which wasnt hard to predict when it had the best control tools pre-expansion, and the expansion brought support to a control archetype for SY, while the other factions got new cards with a 'pacifist' strategy.

What this means is SY bounty can pretty much dominate, prey on NR and ST who got cards who only get value if they stick (they wont, against this...)
Also, MO seems to be pretty popular, sabbath is basically pointslam, but those decks are so easy to counter when they dont rely on any control tools, i think this MO popularity will be shortlived, hence why i wanted to post this deck ASAP, to take advantage of the meta.

Finally, i saw Misterhabbla posted a SY bounty shortly after i made this deck, and i have to admit his version is somehow more fun (Igor+vigilantes!) and better than mine at the same time (his version has HC best engines, so a balance between cheap points and expensive control, mine is just 100% control). Feel free to check his version out too!

DRK3

Forum veteran
[DECK OF 11-06-21]
[CROWS AND MAIDENS]

MEGASCOPE MADNESS PT.2 - SKELLIGE

WARNING: if you want to win, i do not recommend this deck.
I thought it was gonna be really strong, but i ended up with atrocious results, less than 20% winrate.

I have a ton of experience with SK crows/beasts and discard package, and enough with Lippy/Cerys, so i dont think i was doing many mistakes, i think it was a combination of several factors:
1) bad luck
2) no control options
3) everyone knows by now how to play vs Lippy Cerys decks, how they're not supposed to lose R1
4) nobody passes on R1 anyway, even if they go a card down, for this deck round control is way more important than CA

Backstory: when i did my crow messenger deck for this thread last month, i had the idea of making an 'ultimate pointslam deck', which combined Cerys maidens and the crows. And when the crow messengers got amazing support this expansion in the form of megascope (so instead of 12p Blue Dream, a 4p megascope for an extra crow, and you can do that twice since its a bronze!), i thought this would be OP...

I was very wrong, this deck performed really poorly, i dont like sharing here decks that do so terribly. I did that a couple of times, for some SY extra memey decks, but those i EXPECTED em to do poorly, but this time i was completely off, which devastated me.

CHALLENGE: If anyone wishes, try to build a better SK megascope carryover deck. It doesnt have to be Lippy.
I know the easiest way to make a 0 control deck better is to add control tools, quite a few Lippy Cerys decks did this and it worked for them. But that is too easy and obvious.
Another possibility is to go full Alchemy, replace the Lippy Cerys Ursine Ritual for Gedyneith Battle Trance, maybe that will have a stronger long round than this? Good luck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im sorry i missed a deck yesterday, i was away on the weekend, and even though i had prepared a deck beforehand, i didnt get a good chance to share it.

[DECK OF 13-06-21]
[NORTHERN MAGIC]

MEGASCOPE MADNESS SERIES - PT. III - NORTHERN REALMS

Its over. That brief instance after an expansion where players are trying out stuff for themselves, instead of focusing on control and competitiveness. This time, at least from my experience, it lasted 2 days...:giveup:

By the time i tried NR with this deck, i played +20 matches against control (SY control, SK control, but specially a LOT of NG control, how surprising...), and only 2 against something else (MO pointslam). So i missed my chance where this deck would shine, because even though its kinda slow, it can beat up anything with low/no control, even Viy.

Still, it did pretty well, even against other control decks, NR mages is definitely stronger than before mostly due to how awesome Gerhart is.
But against NG, when they lock 4 or 5 consecutive spellweavers you play, you just want to throw the screen out the window, it actually does better vs damage control like SK or SY.

Even though frustrating, the deck is super fun, or maybe i just love the spellweavers *ZAP ZAP ZAP too much :shrug:

I will revisit NR again soon, to try the other archetype it got support - siege, which is one of my favourites for NR. And also try the new Shani, she was one of the 4 golds in almost all my NR decks in beta, where she had a similar ability!

Godsend RNG Artefact Compression.jpg

When you think you're gonna lose, then you click gerhart (after 1 turn) and remember he can create a gamewinning artefact compression! :cool:

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I dont know what happened, but i lost the deckguide i wrote yesterday, and its not the first time this has happened... So i had to write it all over again :giveup:

[DECK OF 14-06-21]
[SYMBIOTIC SWARM]

i am not a big ST player, and specially not symbiosis. but as a fan of swarm, i saw the potential there, so i tried it.

I thought this deck would fare better than my previous deck, against the legion of NG players... but when i tried it, somehow never faced a single NG, and most were bounty SY or SK warriors and i never had a chance with this.

Still, it was a good opportunity to try the new ST cards - i started to like whisperer of dol blathanna, and francesca is great but so risky, but overall my opinion has solidified that ST got the worst cards in this sub-expansion...

(EDIT) i dont know what is happening but there seems to be some technical issues with the deckguide, ive already tried publishing the deckguide a few times, but when i share the link, its just the decklist, and it doesnt appear on the deck website, i dont know if it was me that did something wrong or its something on the servers side...

(EDIT 2) it seems to be working now, maybe i just have to wait a few minutes for the deck to "appear".

Last edited:
I dont know what happened, but i lost the deckguide i wrote yesterday, and its not the first time this has happened... So i had to write it all over again :giveup:

[DECK OF 14-06-21]
[SYMBIOTIC SWARM]

i am not a big ST player, and specially not symbiosis. but as a fan of swarm, i saw the potential there, so i tried it.

I thought this deck would fare better than my previous deck, against the legion of NG players... but when i tried it, somehow never faced a single NG, and most were bounty SY or SK warriors and i never had a chance with this.

Still, it was a good opportunity to try the new ST cards - i started to like whisperer of dol blathanna, and francesca is great but so risky, but overall my opinion has solidified that ST got the worst cards in this sub-expansion...

(EDIT) i dont know what is happening but there seems to be some technical issues with the deckguide, ive already tried publishing the deckguide a few times, but when i share the link, its just the decklist, and it doesnt appear on the deck website, i dont know if it was me that did something wrong or its something on the servers side...

(EDIT 2) it seems to be working now, maybe i just have to wait a few minutes for the deck to "appear".
I've got something similar to this, but I use teleportation on a used whisperer to get another train going on the other row.

i started to like whisperer of dol blathanna, and francesca is great but so risky, but overall my opinion has solidified that ST got the worst cards in this sub-expansion...

If you like swarm decks and the Whisperer, you can get up to a lot of shenanigans using Teleport, Idarran, and a Guerilla Tactics deck. It's theoretically possible to cover your entire side of the board with Whisperers starting with just a single one. I've had some fun playing with that combo, but it's not very competitive.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Today i got something special for you...
I returned to a classic meme deck i do from time to time, but always a different variant.

Its one of my character decks - if you search these forums you may even find my old threads of these type of decks i did in the betas.
And for none other than our main guy, Geralt of Rivia, now that he has a whopping 7 different versions!
I wont just do a deckguide, i will do a full "Geralt deck" guide, so take a deep breath and lets dive into it :smart:

[DECK OF 15-06-21]
[GER-ALL-TS]

- "ALL THE GERALTS" DECK MEGAGUIDE -

1. HOW TO BUILD IT

- Currently, there are 7 cards of Geralt, and they're all extremely expensive (10/11 provisions).
This costs an overwhelming 72 provisions in 7 cards, leaving around 90-95 provisions for the remaining 18 cards of a deck.
That is an average of little over 5pr for each of those cards, so expect a lot of 4 and 5s on the deck.

- Back in the day, when there were only 4-5 Geralts, it was easier to build such a deck and make it (somewhat) competitive.
Now that there are so many, they eat up too many provisions, so the top end of the deck will be just Geralts, the difference between Geralt decks will be on the bottom end of deck, the bronzes and a few cheap golds.

- Choosing a faction and leader ability is very important. If you want to make the best Geralt deck possible, choose a faction with strong reliable bronzes (SK warriors, discard package; engine overload, new OP bronzes, etc.) or an archetype that takes advantage of the geralts (NR or SK witchers)

- Dont go for a hypercontrol deck with the bronzes, or you will remove value from Yrden, Axii and might even brick Igni

- Of the 7 Geralts, 5 of them are tall removal/punishers. That is definitely too much against most decks, with the trickiest (and most fun) being undoubtedly Igni, for two reasons:
A) due to its initiative condition, its the one that bricks most easily, specially if you dont have it in hand and want to tutor it with Quen. That's why its important to have good thinning in Geralt decks.
B) you can just play random Igni, which is lame, or build a deck with pings/controlled damage, to line up massive Ignis, worthy of featuring in the great dandelion show!

- Recommended factions for Geralt decks:
Tier 1 - NR and SK, due to witcher synergy and amazing ping bronzes + SK Onslaught leader (to line up Ignis and Professional)
Tier 2 - ST, not much witcher synergy, but also amazing pings and movement (Precision Strike or Guerrila tactics) for Igni
Tier 3 - NG and SY, not many synergies with Geralts, but have strong bronzes
Tier 4 - MO, not recommended, hardly any damage pings (only bleeding) to line up or other synergies
(Yes, i used the worst faction to showcase this type of deck, as a challenge. I tried NR, SK, NG and ST in the past with good results)

2. HOW TO PLAY IT
-DISTRIBUTE THE GERALTS BETWEEN THE ROUNDS. Most decks try to save all their expensive golds for R3, if you do that with Geralts you will get poor value out of them.

-AVOID TELEGRAPHING. That means revealing hints to your opponent that you have a lot (ALL!) of Geralts. How? Vanilla Geralt and Yrden are pretty common, Igni and Professional less so but still not weird - these you can play early if needed (although Yrden should be finisher).
But you play an Aard, or 2-3 Geralts on R1 and your opponent might suspect what your doing.

-GET IGNI IN HAND. AND SET IT UP. You get it in hand with good thinning, its the only Geralt that is worse if tutored with Quen.
And when you line up targets, its hard to not be obvious - know your matchups, some opponents may notice what your doing and disrupt your lining up (NR/SYmbiosis with boosts or MO with consumes), while others even if they notice, cant do anything about it)

-Here's a general strategy for each Geralt:
Vanilla/Professional - kill enemy unit boosted with TA/crystal skull, if you are on red coin
Axii - purify enemy defender
Professional - use with pings to kill 6/7pt danger units (Damien, Francesca, witchfinder, Crach, Alzur, Gerhart, etc)
Aaard + Igni/Yrden - Aard is more important to line up units in a row than for its damage. Yrden is obviously easier, but Igni is more rewarding. Using both on a round is probably overkill, consider mulliganing one, specially on short rounds.

Good luck and go play with our favourite witcher! :disapprove:

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
[DECK OF 17-06-21]
[PASSIFLORA]

MEGASCOPE MADNESS SERIES - PT4 (SY)

I wasnt sure which bronze i should built my SY megascope deck around, there are so many great options.
And its not hard to create such a deck, because Igor already existed, and megascopes do what an Igor has been doing for almost 2 years!
So, i could have gone townsfolk lined pockets, firesworn, or even the new bounty vigilantes, but i ended up going with the nice passiflora ladies. :howdy:

I also wanted to use Idarran on one of these megascope decks, and really go all-in in this spawning madness, and i think i succeeded!

Note: the megascope spawns the unit at the end of the turn, so the end of turn efffects of a unit (for peaches, its the boost by 1) dont trigger. This is advice that applies to all factions, when using megascopes to create engines.

Igor and Idarran Peaches Combo.jpg

Who needs passiflora when you got Igor +Idarran? (this only works against no control opponents tho)

[DECK OF 17-06-21]
[PASSIFLORA]

MEGASCOPE MADNESS SERIES - PT4 (SY)
[...]
Who needs passiflora when you got Igor +Idarran? (this only works against no control opponents tho)
Wich is pretty rare these days, apart MO maybe...

Anyway, Thanks for sharing fun/original decks, that bring some fresh idea for those doesn"t have much time to try unusual decks that can also be played wih a reasonnable chance to win.

I've made my personnal version of your crows deck (updated with megascope of course ;) ) and it stil works well on rank 1-3.

I've tried megascope+igor on vigilantes in SY bounty deck and when it sticks it's an incredible killing machine ! :oops:

DRK3

Forum veteran
@Molock7 True, control decks will always be present in the meta, i will even go further and say they're always the dominant force in the meta, if not in winrates at least in playrates.

However, some of my most recent decks arent necessarily bad against all types of control - some actually do well vs SY/SK control but suffer against NG, while others its the opposite. I try to point these out in each guide, but im always afraid of making texts too long...

----------------

Regarding today's deck, i couldnt find it, i was starting to think it disappeared, then i noticed it was the last on the list because someone rated it -1. I didnt even know this was possible, nor how did someone discover it without me posting it yet :shrug:

[DECK OF 18-06-21]
[RAIN ON YOUR PARADE]

This was my first experience with SK's new cards (finally).

I like em, but i feel there's some room for improvement (and spice!).
Also, there's the option of going Dagur/GS to take advantage of the rain, but i was never a fan of those, ever since the beta and they were called axemen.

The deck doesnt have any strong plays except the scenario, but i was surprised how well it resisted bleeds, since the longer the rounds go, the more points you are able to "get" from weather. Also, some of these new cards have great point:prov ratios, like the reworked Vaedermakar and Scepter of storms combo and bride of the sea (my favourite of these new SK cards).

DRK3

Forum veteran
When the expansion hit last week, i said i would do a siege deck eventually, and try the new Shani...
That day is today!

[DECK OF 19-06-21]
[SIEGE MASTER]

To be honest, i named this deck before i realized the name of the core bronze card - a card i use all the time (and dont know its name :shrug:) - is the exact same...

Rivian pikeman is a very similar card, but with less point potential since on resupply (playing warfare cards) it can only get 1pt, while siege master can get 2 in ideal conditions (adjacent siege engines). This makes this quite a tricky deck due to positioning, in addition to card order.

Even though the siege archetpe is quite strong, it suffers from a paradox:
-you want to win R1, to keep opponents from bleeding your siege scenario R2 and go for a long R3
-you want to start R3, as setting your engines ASAP is vital for this deck
-you may want to push R2 to take advantage of a surprise setup, but you're always better in longer rounds and if you fail R2 you're left with nothing for R3, certain loss

This deck, its obvious it has siege, i dont even try to hide it like in other decks. So against an opponent push R2, i decide to either commit leader or scenario, not both, to have something for a short round. Of course sometimes this may not be enough, but when you commit both leader and scenario at least try to get CA.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Sorry guys, no deck for today. :sad:
And maybe not even for tomorrow - i try to create and try my decks to share here a few days earlier, and now im usually awat at weekends, where i cant play, at best share the decks i prepared earlier, and i ran out, so now i'll try to get some juicy decklists soon.

In the meantime, i like to take this time-off to ask for any feedback from any users who visit this thread.

- Do you like the style of decks i showcase here?
- If you dont, what is the problem? Are the deckguides too long? Not clear enough enough on the strategies?
- Should i do more competitive decks? Or go even more memey? Maybe instead of 50-50, i could do 100% competitive decks and 100% meme decks on other days, would that be interesting?
- Am i too tied up on my own style, and should i try to use even more different cards?

You dont have to answer all of those questions, they're just to give a sample of the type of feedback i would love to get.

Also, i am totally open to requests, if you want a deck from a faction or an archetype, or something even more specific, feel free to ask and i'll do my best. Thanks, everyone :smart:

I very much appreciate both the decks and the discussion you bring to them. I appreciate the creativity and the analysis. But to be honest, I haven’t played them. I typically do not own anywhere from 4 to 10 of the cards required. While I could craft them, I have a pretty firm policy of only crafting cards I really want to use. Every crafted card I make at this point will delay my obtaining a complete collection as barrels then have increased chance of producing duplicates.

So I benefit most from general themes and concepts rather than specific decks. So I may not build one of your decks built around megascope because I don’t own the card. But it makes me ask, “can I build decks in multiple factions around, say, wagenburg?” What is needed to make such a deck work?

So I like these columns — just as they are.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, no deck for today. :sad:
And maybe not even for tomorrow - i try to create and try my decks to share here a few days earlier, and now im usually awat at weekends, where i cant play, at best share the decks i prepared earlier, and i ran out, so now i'll try to get some juicy decklists soon.

In the meantime, i like to take this time-off to ask for any feedback from any users who visit this thread.

- Do you like the style of decks i showcase here?
- If you dont, what is the problem? Are the deckguides too long? Not clear enough enough on the strategies?
- Should i do more competitive decks? Or go even more memey? Maybe instead of 50-50, i could do 100% competitive decks and 100% meme decks on other days, would that be interesting?
- Am i too tied up on my own style, and should i try to use even more different cards?

You dont have to answer all of those questions, they're just to give a sample of the type of feedback i would love to get.

Also, i am totally open to requests, if you want a deck from a faction or an archetype, or something even more specific, feel free to ask and i'll do my best. Thanks, everyone :smart:
Oh, please keep them up. Its precisely the style of thread we need, as basically all other topics that move the forums are complaints that never cease. The decks you create are your own and I wouldn't deem it fair to change your style to make strategies you're not really interested in. I tried a few of them, mostly NR and ST and while I value the guides you write, I usually try the cards by myself, only checking the guide once I have reasonable experience with the deck.

In regards to requests, if you're wrilling to try to make some underused cards work within an archetype, I'd be down for that. In other words, putting effort to make a card basically no one uses work and extract good advantages with other support cards.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Thank you for the feedback, the support and kind words.

@quintivarium That is a fair argument, and i must confess the limited cardpool for some players is an issue i neglect, as someone who always had a full collection since Gwent HC launched, even before that. I know that some players create budget decks, as i suppose beginners are the players who most search for decks, while myself i never even look at the scrap count or whatever its called when deckbuilding.

I wont create those budget decks, however i can do a small compromise and take a look at which cards are in the starter set, or look if a gold its epic or legendary and not its provisions - every once in a while. And for your specific case, even if you cant build the exact deck, i insist you should try an adaptation of your own with the cards you have, only on the ones that you deem interesting of course!

@Tucoffin That is a great M.O. to have - trying out a deck for yourself and only after some matches looking at the guide.
My deckguides arent perfect either way - some have information missing, either because A) i missed something (more likely to happen on complex decks); B) i opted to keep away some information i considered less important than the one i shared, to keep the text length reasonable.

Regarding your favourite factions, i think i have a good grasp of NR (it was my second faction when i was starting out), but im just terrible at ST, and i think that might show on these decks - and you dont need to wait long, tomorrow will be ST's megascope version, and tonight i will try to improve my initial version that went 0:7 yesterday :giveup:

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, yesterday i said today's deck - ST Megascope deck - would be kinda sucky...

I was referring to my initial version of it, it was basically a ST Movement, engine overload deck, with the classic bronze trio of DB sentries, dryad matrons and cat witchers, plus pavko and boar and pretty much just engines.
It wasnt doing well, too slow, even against decks that didnt counter those engines like MO FoN, it was still losing by a lot, due to the long setup (it also had defender to protect engines, but that slows it down)

Worst of all, it was very boring, just a typical ST movement list, but with invigorate and 2 megascopes thrown out there.
Fortunately i ditched it and did something totally new. I present to you...

[DECK OF 22-06-21]
[NO TRAP ARTEFACTS]

MEGASCOPE MADNESS SERIES - PT V - SCOIATAEL

Its a ST deck with 10 artefacts, and not a single trap. That was the challenge i imposed myself when deckbuilding.
I wanted to include Portal but couldnt for the brokilon sentinels/PS leader, which is perfect for Hen Gadth.
I wanted to include Land of thousand fables, but in a deck with so many artefacts there isnt room for enough specials, also ST doesnt have good targets for land of thousand fables order ability.

Maybe it was just luck of matchups that caused this one to do better than the original deck.
Even if it was, im sure this deck is more FUN, and im kinda proud of it, a lot of cards you dont see everyday, actually feeling good to play em. Give it a try! You can even use it for artefact quests without compromising gameplay :cool:

[DECK OF 27-05-21]
[SNEAKY DWARVES]
Finally got around to trying this one out in a friendly match with @Draconifors. (Ay, a bit late, I know.) Thanks again! Not bad. I tweaked it a bit, though: Swapped out Magic Lamp for Enchanted Armor, for one, and switched Ihuarraquax for Brouver Hoog, (if for no other reason than I can never pronounce that name), for added synergy. Here's the modified deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@Riven-Twain I encourage players to try and change the decks i post here. The stratagem change is nice, but removing Ihuarraquax is like a stake to the heart, since he was the spice of the deck, but i understand that wholesome players such as yourself wouldnt want to play it :shrug:

----------------------------------

Today's deck is dedicated to @quintivarium . I dont know if he'll like it, but the idea came after his comment a few days ago, that night i went into the deckbuilder and checked the starter set, and the NG cards popped out, and the brilliant idea came :confused:
What if i built a deck without ANY legendaries? That will certain be a cheap deck to make right?

[DECK OF 23-06-21]
[NO LEGENDARIES]

Damn, this deck came out much stronger than i thought. Im actually using it to climb on ranked :oops:
I dont think a no legendaries deck in other factions would do so well. due to how strong NG's new bronzes and epic are.

I was gonna use nauzica sergeant x2 and alba pikemen x2, to continue the theme of starter set, but replacing them with 2x blightmaker + mage assassin made the deck so much stronger, of course you can use these others if you hate the new OP bronzes or dont have em.

Also, this deck was super fast to make because its very similar to my oldest deck in the deckbuilder, a germain+slave infantry deck, 14 of the 25 cards are the same (of the 11 different, 5 are the new NG commons, rares, epic). Just had to replace Yen Invo with CoC, Ramon and Usurper for some other solid cards and done!

(UPDATE) After a few more matches with the deck i notice the only problem is the lack of proactive plays (im usually starting with blightmaker+ assassin, wasting the 2pt damage).
Consider replacing one or two bronzes for proactive soldiers like nauzicaa, magne division or even daerlan (its a good backup for vrygheff).

Last edited:
Re: No Legendaries Deck

I greatly appreciate finally being able to actually try one of your decks. I was only missing three cards (two mage assassins and dead man’s tongue). As these did not seem like thematic cards, I substituted 2 hunting pack (to offset the lost thinning) and one Alba pikemen because it’s a 5 provision card I like. I left the “bricked” Blightmakers to keep as much of the original deck flavor as possible and used them for consistency

The deck was very impressive, and after a brief learning curve, a lot of fun to play. I had certainly never anticipated that slave infantry could be so overwhelming, or that this type of deck could be as effective as it is. I had read previous posts you made regarding Vrygheff and Vreemde being a great inspiration for unique soldier decks, but only now do I really appreciate them.

I recognize this deck was optimized relative to crafting cost rather than performance. Even so, my only suggestion to improve its performance would be to create more proactive plays. Using my version (which is slightly more proactive, but likely weaker) than the original, I was frequently forced to play either blightmaker or Alba Armored Cavalry as my least undesirable proactive option. Even without proactive plays, it still won, although I never encountered an uninteractive opposing deck.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@quintivarium Im glad you liked it and that i made another fan of cows+ slave infantry.
Its a really good combo, specially since:
A) Vrygheff and Vreemde were buffed two patches ago
B) Germain (cow guy) was buffed this patch, now even if all cows are killed, he can spawn an extra one immediately after, and then more with a longer cooldown
C) the only bad matchup really is SK, and Gerd was the worst nightmare of this strategy and every SK was using it last month, but now i dont see as many SK warriors and Gerds
D) it just wrecks NG mirrors, transforming their spies, but also going so wide the ball gets pitiful value
Post automatically merged:

Today's deck is one i had intended to do last month, but to avoid putting several similar decks close to each other, i postponed it.
But it's one of my favourites, that i use variations of it for several years now.

[DECK OF 24-06-21]
[HEALING ROW]

I love Heymaey Flaminica and healing mechanic, but its very niche, even though it relies on several solid bronzes SK has that get played on more mainstream decks like SK warriors or witchers.

Note: you can play a different version of this in order to be able to play Flaminica 3x instead of 2x.
For that, you require bride of the sea, and to get 4 turns of rain/storm, its best to do it with rage of the sea leader or many rain cards, but that would make it very similar with my last SK deck, so i did a more traditional version of my Flaminica decks.

Top Bottom