Dedicated Cyberpunk 2077 feature for content creators: "Disable Copyrighted Music"

+

Lilayah

CD PROJEKT RED

Hey Choombas!

We wanted to address some concerns which have recently appeared in regards to possible copyright problems connected with streaming Cyberpunk 2077 and its soundtrack.

As always, we encourage everyone to create videos using content from our games and we love to see you stream them. With the launch of Cyberpunk 2077, we are incredibly excited to see your streams, playthroughs, Let’s Play videos, achievement guides, hell, maybe even speedruns of our upcoming RPG!

Cyberpunk 2077 will feature a beautiful, robust original score created by our in-house composers. In addition, you will be able to listen to over 150 songs created by wonderful artists representing diverse genres and we are confident you will love the music played by the in-game radio stations and in clubs. Unfortunately, the world of copyright law is complicated and not all of these songs can be streamed or used in your video content.

The last thing we want is for you to run into any copyright issues. Because of this, we have created a dedicated feature for content creators. The “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle, available in the game’s settings, will disable a small portion of in-game tracks, streaming of which could otherwise result in demonetization or takedowns of your videos or stream clips/VODs. Be sure to have this option enabled before you start streaming or recording your Cyberpunk 2077 content!

As mentioned above, using the “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle should prevent you from experiencing any copyright issues. However, if you run into any problems of this nature despite having the toggle on, be sure to check with us at legal@cdprojektred.com. We will try our best to help you!

We hope you enjoy the game and will have fun streaming and creating video content for Cyberpunk 2077.

See you in Night City!

I'm aware that a version of the game will be made for Japan that will have a lot of the sexual content and nudity either removed or censored. Will there be an option in other versions of the game to turn on this censoring, whether it be for avoiding getting banned on a live-streaming platform or just for private use? I'm very excited to share this game with friends, but some of them are a bit more prudish but strangely have no issues with language or violence.
Thanks!

Looking forward to using this feature on both PC & console. Thanks for going the extra step & adding this feature.

I really hope there are actually more metal/punk bands besides Refused (Samurai). THAT WOULD BE GREAT!! ^_^

is *muting/switching* copyrighted music the only option?!?? I would really love to stream (#MyirstTime) and I also have some quite potentially interesting ideas. but playing with other-than-intended music is a bit out of question for me.. :(
  • if there was an option to just show on-screen warning - I could sill stream. (assuming I would be fast-enough with manual mute/switch)
  • if there was on-screen e.g. marker in given screen place e.g. somewhere in the corner - I would write a script to disable/switch sound automatically.
  • if copyrighted music could still play to headphones, while it was muted/switched on video signal (on supported platforms) - we cold still stream..
I don't suppose we have chance for any of those three options..? :(

is *muting/switching* copyrighted music the only option?!?? I would really love to stream (#MyirstTime) and I also have some quite potentially interesting ideas. but playing with other-than-intended music is a bit out of question for me.. :(
  • if there was an option to just show on-screen warning - I could sill stream. (assuming I would be fast-enough with manual mute/switch)
  • if there was on-screen e.g. marker in given screen place e.g. somewhere in the corner - I would write a script to disable/switch sound automatically.
  • if copyrighted music could still play to headphones, while it was muted/switched on video signal (on supported platforms) - we cold still stream..

...huh?

You posted this comment on November 28th, less than two weeks prior to release. This feature is a courtesy, and they're already crunching to get the game out in an acceptable state by launch day. This is common knowledge, as their crunching was literally national news.

If "playing with other-than-intended music" is actually somehow "a bit out of the question" for you, you have options that don't require you to make unreasonable requests of developers whom are already crunching for a game that's releasing in less than two weeks:

* Don't play the game
* Don't stream your gameplay
* Play and stream the game with the toggle turned off and live with the consequences if your stream is demonetized/removed for copyright infringement

OR, there's always the [other] option:
* Be thankful/grateful that the devs thought about their streaming community and took the time to put a courtesy option like this into the game (again, after they'd already been heavily crunching) and just stream with the toggle on.

This is a brand new game with a brand new soundtrack - how would you even know when a song that may have presented potential copyright issues were skipped for one that didn't? [...]

Worst case, you could always take your entitlement (and your sad face emojis) and stream something else, yeah?

[...]

[Edited for tone -- SigilFey]

Last edited by a moderator:

This is not something that CDPR has direct jurisdiction over. Individuals or businesses don't get to dictate how copyright law works, nor do they get to tell other platforms how they're going to operate. Platforms don't get to overrule established law because they disagree with it. And the law doesn't need to gain approval from people to be put into action.

Right now, because of the way copyright law is working in regards to streaming copyrighted material (especially music), it's very easy for streamers to step over a line and wind up with an issue -- even if IP owner has no problem with it. At least CDPR put an option in the game to help streamers avoid potential problems involving music.

Right now, because of the way copyright law is working in regards to streaming copyrighted material (especially music), it's very easy for streamers to step over a line and wind up with an issue -- even if IP owner has no problem with it.
I blame lawyers.

Lawyers need additional chocolate.

Chocolate-sucking lawyers!

@Gucek
Another thing to consider -- I'm not sure that "disable copyrighted music" means that the game will not play any music. My guess is that it will simply skip to a non-copyrighted track. Maybe a few points in the game will be music-less, like if a copywrighted track is hard-coded as part of a cutscene or something, but I'd imagine the option simply removes certain songs from the playlists, is all.

The last thing we want is for you to run into any copyright issues. Because of this, we have created a dedicated feature for content creators. The “Disable Copyrighted Music” toggle, available in the game’s settings, will disable a small portion of in-game tracks, streaming of which could otherwise result in demonetization or takedowns of your videos or stream clips/VODs. Be sure to have this option enabled before you start streaming or recording your Cyberpunk 2077 content!

Just a clarification: typically ALL music is automatically copyrighted unless it is in the public domain (in most jurisdictions). The appropriate phrasing should be to disable music you aren't licensed to broadcast or stream.

Ok, I'm not sure if this is a related question or not. But is Cyberpunk 2077 going to give us the option to download our own music onto some sort of "mixtape" option ? I have several owned cd's that have music that I would love to add to the "soundtrack" while playing CP2077. Several games in the past have allowed this option and, while it won't be a deal breaker if I can't, it would be pretty cool if we can. Could someone please address this question if you can. Thanks.

Top Bottom