Deep analysis of Journey performed by Game Director himself

+
Ok, I'm probably being quite thick, but I don't get how the "well rested" thingy works. Could someone please explain it in an easy to understand way?

I'm looking at the side of my progression and the crowns on the right side is never under 14/14. Usually it's 28/14. And I don't even play that often (irregular casual).

Ok, I'm probably being quite thick, but I don't get how the "well rested" thingy works. Could someone please explain it in an easy to understand way?

^
Every day, every player gets a well-rested bonus that gives players and additional CP for each round won regardless of whether they reached a cap. However, there is a daily limit of 14 that resets at the start of each day.

So, for every round won, you'll get 1 extra CP until you have either won 14 rounds or until the bonus is reset at midnight.

^

So, for every round won, you'll get 1 extra CP until you have either won 14 rounds or until the bonus is reset at midnight.
Could we please get an in-game notice (like on our profile Gwentsday) showing well rested status is active and non active. Make knowing when to play for optimal gain is appreciated by majority of player base.

Could we please get an in-game notice (like on our profile Gwentsday) showing well rested status is active and non active. Make knowing when to play for optimal gain is appreciated by majority of player base.

You can always check it. There is still the bug that on a new day you may start in 14/14 when in reality it should be 0/14. Based on this premise (you see 14/14) The easy way to check it is to play a game (classic or seasonal), if you won a round you should have one more CP, two rounds then 2 CPs.

The caps (14 extra CP per day) are there regardless of the bug.

But, why does it say 28/14 when it's been days since I've last played?

Well-rested bonus does not stack. So, if you do not play for one or more days, it will be lost.

As to why it shows 28/14, I do not know. It could be a bug.

Well-rested bonus does not stack. So, if you do not play for one or more days, it will be lost.

As to why it shows 28/14, I do not know. It could be a bug.

Ok, so, it is actually suppose to go to 0/14 every day. So I guess they did not fix the bug.. At "max" it should probably say 14/14.

So, how it works, is the game give you double crowns, until it says 14/14, then it reset to 0/14 next day, regardless if you have 14/14 or 6/14 or whatever..

I guess I understand it then...

Ok, so, it is actually suppose to go to 0/14 every day. So I guess they did not fix the bug.. At "max" it should probably say 14/14.

So, how it works, is the game give you double crowns, until it says 14/14, then it reset to 0/14 next day, regardless if you have 14/14 or 6/14 or whatever..

I guess I understand it then...

The bug is that next day you see to have 14/14, instead of 0/14. The easy solution is to play a match (classic or seasonal) and see if the count increases. If so, then you know you can reach up to 28/14.

Hopefully this bug will be sorted soon.

Well. This is great if you play a lot and/or have bougt extended journey.
But what if you don't?

Let's take a look on "lazy" player who win 6 rounds per day.

In a week we get:

old way: 7 * 2 = 14 RP (plus some extra bonuses: small reward of 15 ore / scraps / powder / card every 2 rounds = about 210 resources in total per week)
new way (assuming all quests completed):
7 * 12 + 20 * 3 = 144 journey points = 144 / 24 opened journey steps = 6 journey steps
which is 6 * 12 = 72 steps/season = reaching 73 journey level. Not so bad?
nope: 73 journey lvl = 60 * 2 + 6 * 5 = 150 RP/season = 12.5 RP/week

So, to be honest if you does not complete journey you will get less rewards.
Once again. If you get 6 win rounds per day:
Old system: 14 RP + 210 resources per week
New system: 12.5 RP per week + some avatars.
Moreover new players does not get powder from journey system at all.

Conclusion: if you win 6 rounds/day new system is less generous.

Let's get back to provided stats and look at "How active were players in our old crown system".
Statistic shows 1 RP/day with 0.15% of users.
You can't get 1 RP from old system so there is some unknown unstated averaging and rounding performed.
I bet this is because the majourity of players does not play same amount of time every day.
Some users play only on weekends, some play more time on weekends, some play on the way to/from work, etc.
Well, let's see what do we get if we win 6 rounds per day but not for the whole week.
journey.png

So, this system is most generous for people who play less. Really less.

Conclusion: to make the most advantage from generous journey system you should play gwent less.
Or pay for extended journey. Just pay and have fun.

In my hubmle opinion the whole "DEEP ANALYSIS" is just a lot of text that shows you nothing.

Overall conclusion:
More play = less advantage from the new system comparing to the old one.
Thanks for nothing.

Last edited:
Conclusion: if you win 6 rounds/day new system if less generous.
Overall conclusion: More play = less advantage from the new system comparing to the old one.

So, what you are saying is the new system is less generous to those that either play the "minimal" amount or the "maximum" amount. If so, it's an odd way to phrase both conclusions. Regardless, what about the "optimum" amount? A better conclusion would be that the optimum amount has shifted. Meaning you have to play a bit more per day, but, at that point, you also get a bit more rewards.

Regardless, what about the "optimum" amount? A better conclusion would be that the optimum amount has shifted. Meaning you have to play a bit more per day, but, at that point, you also get a bit more rewards.
To find an optimum you have to define optimality criterion. It's different for different users.
If optimality criterion is to maximaize RP - obviously you should play as much as possible - nothing changed.
But if optimality criterion it to maximaize RP/time spend - you should only complete journey quests.
For some users there is no such thing as "optimum": they just play fixed amount of time. If they win less then 6 rounds/day new system is far more generous for them. But there is no motivation for them to play more now.

In terms of comparing RP gain between old and new system it's trickier. I've just compared one use case: 6 win rounds/day which was and old optimum for "RP/time" ratio.

But if optimality criterion it to maximaize RP/time spend

That was the one I was thinking about.

In terms of comparing RP gain between old and new system it's trickier. I've just compared one use case: 6 win rounds/day which was and old optimum for "RP/time" ratio.

Journey offers new ways to gain resources. As such, you do need to look at the full picture. Hence Jason's deep analysis, which shows that casual players gain a little more resources, on average, when this optimum is reached.

Two concerns.

1. The weekly cap could cause majors problems with the catch up quests. If someone starts in late May they could bump the cap and miss out on 20 crown rewards from completing quests.

2. There should be a visual indicator of how many crowns you have collected thus far. In context doing three weeks worth of quests puts me at 180. That means assuming the changes have been made (I honestly don’t know) I only qualify for 170 crowns. If I were to go for each of the 14 bonus crowns per day that by itself requires another 14. 28 x 7 = 196. 196 + 180 = 376 (26 points over the cap.) Also worth mentioning, it is unclear when the week officially begins. Is it based on the actual week or does the week begin on a specific day (relative to the start of journey?)

Also, it is worth mentioning that arena still does not count toward the crown totals. I did not see it explicitly stated anywhere (but I only started playing again a few days ago.)

Two concerns.

1. The weekly cap could cause majors problems with the catch up quests. If someone starts in late May they could bump the cap and miss out on 20 crown rewards from completing quests.

2. There should be a visual indicator of how many crowns you have collected thus far. In context doing three weeks worth of quests puts me at 180. That means assuming the changes have been made (I honestly don’t know) I only qualify for 170 crowns. If I were to go for each of the 14 bonus crowns per day that by itself requires another 14. 28 x 7 = 196. 196 + 180 = 376 (26 points over the cap.) Also worth mentioning, it is unclear when the week officially begins. Is it based on the actual week or does the week begin on a specific day (relative to the start of journey?)

Also, it is worth mentioning that arena still does not count toward the crown totals. I did not see it explicitly stated anywhere (but I only started playing again a few days ago.)

Regarding your concerns:

1. The cap is already at 350 CP/week. It is very high even for hardcore players.
2. The week officially begins the day journey was launched. So for the following weeks it means Thursday (in Europe).
3. (your last comment) Arena do not count towards CP. Developers said they will soon make it count.
Post automatically merged:

That was the one I was thinking about.

Journey offers new ways to gain resources. As such, you do need to look at the full picture. Hence Jason's deep analysis, which shows that casual players gain a little more resources, on average, when this optimum is reached.

To the new ways to gain resources by Journey and maximizing efforts. In the old system I aimed for 4 RP/day. That is, 18 CP. I posted earlier in this thread that:
+ If the premium journey is acquired,
+ The well rested bonus is achieved (14 extra CP), which assumes all quests are done,
+ And after reaching lvl 100, the player goes for 18 CP per day (getting 4RP per the old system),
=> Then the player will get 4.59 RP/day.

This is more in terms of raw RP. How about the small rewards of the old system? Assuming the player plays 12 games (to reach 18 CP):
1. Taking 15 ore every two games, means 90 ore/day. Taking the base value of 50 ore = 1 RP, it is 1.8 RP/day. Thus the player gets -1.21 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+1.8)).
2. Taking 15 scrap every two games, means 90 scraps/day. Taking the base value of 40 scraps = 1 RP, it is 2.25 RP/day. Thus the player gets -1.66 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+2.25)).
3. Taking 15 ore every two games, means 90 ore/day. Taking the base value of 30 ore = 1 RP, it is 3 RP/day. Thus the player gets -2.41 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+3)).
4. If instead we take the average value of resources, it is 40 ore. So conclusions of point #2 is the average.

In this analysis, of course it is missing the cosmetics/cards/kegs offered in the new Journey system. This part cannot be analyzed precisely, thus it will be subject to each player.

So in conclusion, in terms of raw resources the new system offer less, however it is offset by a set of cosmetics/cards/kegs. I would like to note that, in my opinion, the cosmetics are of high quality.

Last edited:
After 2 weeks with the new system I found myselve more and more in the situation that I just stop playing because I think to myselve why should I go on when the system punishes me for playing more.
I used to make 18 CP (6 + 12) or 4 RP a day.
With the new system I would need to do 34 CP (2 * 24 - 14) to make the same 4 RP as before. That's a lot compared than before.
Well, you get 60 CP relatively easy for the weekly challenges. Still, it takes to make them about 5 - 7 games - you have to do them one after the other.

If I compare the systems on a weekly basis when you aim 4 RP per day or 28 RP a week and assume you get approximately 1,5 CP per game

old system
7 * 18 CP = 126
126 / 1,5 = 84 games per week or 12 games per day

new system
7 * 34 CP = 238
238 / 1,5 = 158,67 games per week or 22,6 games per day + 5-7 games for the weekly challanges

So, with the new system I currently make 1,4 levels or 2,8 RP a day because after consuming those 14 extra points the motivation to go on is lowered.
Overall I like the journey but as I also said in a previous post as a constant player you are geting fewer RP, which results in fewer games. ;)

Regarding your concerns:

1. The cap is already at 350 CP/day. It is very high even for hardcore players.
2. The week officially begins the day journey was launched. So for the following weeks it means Thursday (in Europe).
3. (your last comment) Arena do not count towards CP. Developers said they will soon make it count.
Post automatically merged:

To the new ways to gain resources by Journey and maximizing efforts. In the old system I aimed for 4 RP/day. That is, 18 CP. I posted earlier in this thread that:
+ If the premium journey is acquired,
+ The well rested bonus is achieved (14 extra CP), which assumes all quests are done,
+ And after reaching lvl 100, the player goes for 18 CP per day (getting 4RP per the old system),
=> Then the player will get 4.59 RP/day.

This is more in terms of raw RP. How about the small rewards of the old system? Assuming the player plays 12 games (to reach 18 CP):
1. Taking 15 ore every two games, means 90 ore/day. Taking the base value of 50 ore = 1 RP, it is 1.8 RP/day. Thus the player gets -1.21 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+1.8)).
2. Taking 15 scrap every two games, means 90 scraps/day. Taking the base value of 40 scraps = 1 RP, it is 2.25 RP/day. Thus the player gets -1.66 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+2.25)).
3. Taking 15 ore every two games, means 90 ore/day. Taking the base value of 30 ore = 1 RP, it is 3 RP/day. Thus the player gets -2.41 RP/day in the new Journey system (4.59 - (4+3)).
4. If instead we take the average value of resources, it is 40 ore. So conclusions of point #2 is the average.

In this analysis, of course it is missing the cosmetics/cards/kegs offered in the new Journey system. This part cannot be analyzed precisely, thus it will be subject to each player.

So in conclusion, in terms of raw resources the new system offer less, however it is offset by a set of cosmetics/cards/kegs. I would like to note that, in my opinion, the cosmetics are of high quality.

Can you provide a source for your 350CP per day claim? I ask because my understanding was per week.

For those who don’t want to spend real money this is a downgrade. Your own math shows that not getting the partial rewards is clearly less rewarding.

Two concerns.

The weekly cap is 350 CP, but - as I know - Well Rested Crowns and Quest Crows are extra.
I mean, you can collect 350 CP + 98 CP Well Rested + 60 (Premium 120) CP for Quests per week.

Top Bottom